Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Main differences between post New 52 Superman and pre Superman?

• 94 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

N52 is more strong headed, somewhat cocky.

Pre 52 is more boyscout style, more patriotic and committed.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead: He died in the New-52 helping Supergirl escape from Krypton's destruction (Wikipedia says he's still alive but I don't think Superman knows) and Jon Lane Kent took his place.

dorukesin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New-52 is stronger

Pre52 is much faster

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By reactor

IMO? They're exactly the same save for the way fans feel about the New 52 altering their perceptions of Superman, and 9 times out of 10 it causes them to believe the post-Flashpoint Superman now (not at launch, I mean now) acts significantly different than he did pre-Flashpoint, when he does not. I have older comics too, guys. Yes, a great deal is Spider-Man, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and so forth, but a lot are also older Justice League and Superman comics. With the exception of the manner in which a particular writer might choose to depict him, Superman largely acts no different than in New 52 than he did Pre 52.

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingwebhead: He died in the New-52 helping Supergirl escape from Krypton's destruction (Wikipedia says he's still alive but I don't think Superman knows) and Jon Lane Kent took his place.

...Okay, I was wrong. That is pretty heroic.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The origins are slightly different. The power levels of the New 52 Superman are off the charts. He's almost as powerful as his silver age version.

The personality is also different. New 52 Superman is more open to Batman, and both of them seem to work better than in previous versions.

One major difference is that Superman is more lonely, he has neither is biological and adopted parents to advise him. He knows very little about Krypton because in the New 52 version, Jor-El didn't prepare as well as previous versions. As such he has no AI of Jor-El consciousness, and very little information about Krypton. What he knows from Krypton, he learned from the AI of his ship. And as a consequence, in a way he's not as smart, as previous versions were or to be more accurate he doesn't have as much knowledge.

He also has more powers that the previous versions, with the exception of the silver age version of course.

majinn3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By majinn3
    @amazingwebhead said:
    Pre-52New 52
    Underwear on outsideUnderwear on inside
    Wears tightsWears armor (WTF?)
    A nice guyIs a d*ck
    Banging Lois LaneBanging Wonder Woman
    Tries to be a father to Kara and ConnerWas a d*ck to Kara and Conner, has gotten a little better
    "S" curl in hairNo "S" curl in hair

This pretty much sums it all up. Though I will say I like the fact that they got rid of the underwear on the New 52 costume. But the busy armor with all the lines, seriously? Why does any hero that's above a street-leveler even need armor? They should have just kept the pre 52 costume without the underwear. As well as keeping the original personality/ background intact.

donttellmymom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP red underwear

Anishdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Anishdude
    johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By johnqestion

New 52 is way more interesting and closest to the original Golden Age Superman. A social crusader, who stands up for the small man and very proactive. Smart and compassionate and takes no crap. Not even from Batman. That makes him all the better.

They say they pre new 52 was wiser. I disagree. He was reactive and vanilla and always suffering some crisis of conscience and letting the crap hit the fan before he did something. Plus he was dumber. Waay waay dumber and Batman surpassed him in popularity because he was boring in comparison.

Who he dates really does not define him and should not define him. But yeah, the guy is with a woman who he does not have to spend saving so his stories do no revolve around wringing his hands and crying for Lois anymore.

And the red grandpa underpants is gone with the new 52 and he's kinda got a younger hotter vibe than wag your finger and preach at everyone like a father pre 52 Superman. He was not that believable as a father figure since Chris Kent got sent to the PZ and other people like Ma and Pa and Lana were the ones who helped with Kon and Kara so lets not pretend that Clark was so indispensable to them. Unlike say Batman who still had/has his son and wards/sidekicks.

The new 52 Superman just met his cousin and Superboy. So it is not a fair comparison.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's funny how the comments have changed over the years. he seems to be way more powerful than his pre 52 self. he also fights smarter, too. people say that he is less durable. however, i have seen no evidence of that. he seems to be more powerful in all facets.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 52 is way more interesting and closest to the original Golden Age Superman. A social crusader, who stands up for the small man and very proactive. Smart and compassionate and takes no crap. Not even from Batman. That makes him all the better.

And the red grandpa underpants is gone with the new 52 and he's kinda got a younger hotter vibe than wag your finger and preach at everyone like a father pre 52 Superman. He was not that believable as a father figure since Chris Kent got sent to the PZ and other people like Ma and Pa and Lana were the ones who helped with Kon and Kara so lets not pretend that Clark was so indispensable to them. Unlike say Batman who still had/has his son and wards/sidekicks

The new 52 Superman just met his cousin and Superboy. So it is not a fair comparison.

yeah, batman was a lot better. so how many robins has he gotten killed now? the rest i agree with u on. i like this version of supes a lot better.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Same boring character.

Anishdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

now i guess we can definitively say that new 52 clark is way more powerful than his pre 52 self. this guy has some insane feaats. the only thing that can stop him is kryptonite gum.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By Transformers1024

He learned his underwear goes inside his pants.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By kidchipotle
    STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

one is banging wonder woman the other wished and dreams he was banging wonder woman.

LOL

Superman1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New 52 Superman is stronger than pre 52 but not as fast and less durable....also the pants on the inside thing.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Different fanboys.

Other than that both are good under a good writer. Their biggest similarity both have mostly mediocre stories.

ChadThunderkok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ChadThunderkok

Easy: Pre New 52 Superman is the REAL Superman -- trunks and all -- and the New Fifty-Screw version is an imposter designed to look and be more like everyone else, despite the fact that these characters owe their entire existence to him, Superman must now conform to them. And therein lies the problem.

I just have a lot of trouble seeing how somebody can be a fan of the character yet hate his costume -- or at least a certain aspect of it -- of over 70 years that his creators gave him. That goes for Batman too. Not saying that the people that don't like the trunks necessarily hate Superman outright, or aren't fans or are somehow less as people or something ridiculous, I don't believe that to be the case, please don't twist my words, but I just don't think they quite get it. For me, personally, I know if I love something and think it is perfect the way it is, I don't want to change that. I don't want to entertain the notion that I'm somehow better than the creators and have a BETTER idea than what they did in this regard, either. It's almost like being in a relationship to me: if you love someone for who they are, you don't try and change them.

And this whole notion that the trunks are somehow dated and outlandish, but the rest of the suit isn't, to me is pretentiously absurd. It's not as though he's in a poodle skirt or bell bottoms, there is no era in which people all walked around in trunks wherever they went, just as people don't walk around in blue robo-puzzle-collar onesies today. Circus performers, carnival freaks, and wrestlers still wear them, that hasn't changed, either....I don't understand why people pick at this one aspect of the suit, when it's no better or worse than the rest of the suit and the character in its entirety. The "dated" argument doesn't hold up to much scrutiny, and is something I think people who don't really think all this through to its conclusion just easily throw out there. I mean, a couple people who don't care for the character either way to begin with make fun of the character, and suddenly he must be changed to pander to these people? No! How about instead we bring those people into the fold and show them the how and why of the suit, justify what's already there, rather than deconstructing him right out of existence for once? That goes for the secret identity, too!

For me, it's beyond just nostalgia reasons why they should be there, I truly believe, objectively speaking, that they are hands down the best design on the character. People call me a purist, but in many ways, I'm really not, I'm just supportive of the best idea regardless of where it comes, 100% of the time, and 90% of the time what's in the comics is the best idea. I truly believe that Superman's costume, trunks and all, IS the best, most flawless idea/look for the character. He just looks better that way. Superman practically invented this look for superheroes, along with the secret identity. He should be the last to abandon either. The costume just looks so bland and bare without them. Plus, they help cover him better. When all you can wear is a form fitting suit because it's all that's protected by your yellow sun aura, wearing the trunks makes sense because it helps conceal your umm...gems more, if you're a guy, while also staying true to the form fitting rule and remaining within the yellow sun aura around his body that protects and empowers him and otherwise gives him all of his fantastic abilities. If you've ever worn tights as a guy, you'd get the reason for the trunks right away -- going without them in a form fitting suit is like the male equivalent of wearing a really tight shirt with no bra as a girl, except much less umm...becoming, if you will, as a guy.

Plus, Superman is Clark Kent's freak show performance symbol for the world, his carnie act, his stage name, performing identity, if you will -- it makes sense from a spiritual perspective that this, along with his bold flag like colors, is how he would dress this persona. Superman is Clark Kent from Smallville (the place, not the show) with the powers of Superman. He cares about humanity and wants to help and seek the truth, Daily Planet Clark is a facade, the symbolic public persona of Superman is also a facade. What isn't a facade is his morals.

There's a war on Superman right now, a full out assault on practically every aspect of the character, from his costume, to his secret identity, to his morals, to his general persona, to his supporting characters, powers, and world. I'm actually considering writing a book on it -- not sure who would buy it, but it's well worth documenting for when someone in the future hopefully attempts to put him back together again.

We must always hope.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Only one is the real guy....the iconic hero. Just like the Mickey to the far right in this picture below is the real Mickey Mouse, while the other two are some jagoff in a bowtie and kicks:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for gildardovillarruel
    GildardoVillarruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RETCONS.. WELL ATLEAST PRIME IS STILL PRIMETIME NO MATTER WHAT!

Bigbadwolfx0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primebonnick: @amazing_webhead: @night4345: @makkyd:

I just had a thought with the whole u r not what u think u r with pre 52 superman , I just had a thought what if he super (man/boy) prime and I mean the super powerful one that started out innocent but was corrupted by his power and so on. The last thing we really saw of him was him in his basement trying to figure out if he could be a hero. He knew pre 52 supes complete history from the comics that he read before he gained his powers maybe when he wa brought to convergence he some how lost his personal memories.

clarkkent0607

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnqestion: New 52 superman was only that interesting during Morrison's run on action comics. For the rest of the new 52,he's just an edgy ,cocky,intimidating and action oriented superboy. He doesn't even fight for a status quo like truth justice and the American way like Pre new 52 superman. Pre 52 superman had supporting casts who are all more ordinary than new 52 superman's cast. This gives Pre new 52 superman a more human and relatable character than new 52 superman. Pre new 52 is a boy scout,he's the kind of guy you can trust with all your heart because he's very kind and friendly and treats people with respect. While new 52 superman on the other hand has his eyes glowing red with heat vision even when he's not using his heat vision to intimidate his enemies and to look like a badass ,he scares the crap out of people thanks to his behaviour in public while Pre new 52 superman earns the love and trust of many with his compassion and friendliness. And in case you didn't know,pre new 52 also stands up for the weak and downtrodden people who are forgotten and ignored. He spends his time helping people who aren't in physical danger but who are just having a bad day. I could spend all day listing examples if you want me to. So how does not taking shit make new 52 superman a more interesting character ? It just makes him brash .

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnqestion: I can just picture your facing glowing bright red with frustration at the moment...the real power couple is back, Wondy is out of the picture, and we've finally got some hope and optimism restored to the book.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnqestion:

Don't mind @zariusII

That trollish figure as been riding pre-New52 Superman d*ck for so long he can't see himself without it.

Pre-New52 and Rebirth Superman, are the same Superman of 1985. So this idiot as the balls to call a 32 year old character as being a representation of modern times, and modern ideas. Same old stories being constantly retold over and over again. And idiots like @zariusII, eat it all up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
    deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre-52New 52
    Underwear on outsideUnderwear on inside
    Wears tightsWears armor (WTF?)
    A nice guyIs a d*ck
    Banging Lois LaneBanging Wonder Woman
    Tries to be a father to Kara and ConnerWas a d*ck to Kara and Conner, has gotten a little better
    "S" curl in hairNo "S" curl in hair

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By amazing_webhead

@empressofdread: that was a long time ago. i warmed up to the New 52 ...just in time for Rebirth.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: is a troll because he actually cares about the character. Huh. Then I'm a troll as well.

@heavenlydarkdragon: You're a troll!

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44

@Xwraith

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of these pissed off Pre-Crisis fans, the other of these pissed-off Pre-Flashpoint fans.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
    deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

clarkkent0607

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: Read action comics #775,you'll see that Pre flashpoint superman is still relevant even in this decade. A character doesn't have to be a badass or edgy to be mordenised.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkkent0607: Action Comics #775 simply refuses to actually take the "superheroes should kill" argument seriously (hence the villains are sociopaths). It is just a cool action story with a cool speech at the end that utterly fails at being an exploration of Superman's morality and it fails at "justifying" Superman's relevance. The current "Black Dawn" story is actually way better, showing Superman actually having to deal with the consequences of his no-kill rule and that the villain has a point even if he is, well, evil.

clarkkent0607

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinlan58: The name of the story is literally "what's so funny about truth justice and the american way? ",It was about superman's ideals and how they still apply I the 21st century. In the story,we see superman act like a badass with a take no shit from others attitude like the new 52 superman,and we saw how frightening superman would be if he ever decided to become a badass. At the end of the issue,superman delivered that one speech which shows how his ideals and morals are still very much relevant to this day.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clarkkent0607: And it was badly executed as an actual exploration of morality. If you want to argue for something (in this case Superman's relevance), you must take the counter-arguments seriously. In effect, what 775 did was present one of the opposite arguments (that killing villains would solve things in an easier and more definite way) and then use ad hominem (they are wrong because they are evil) and appeal to emotions (Superman doesn't kill because that would be scary, even though no one was asking him to kill all the time) to not have to actually answer it. In that story, why see him constantly take shit from the Elite before briefly not taking shit from them to justify why he'd rather take shit from them. I'll say that the speech WAS pretty cool, and so was the fight, but the way we got there was extremely flawed.

Besides, that story was 16 years ago. The world is not the same place it was back then.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
    ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Yeah a lot of differences such not having the same costume and he's not married to Lois Lane and he's a bit less boy scout anyway people over the years thought he was stronger than pre 52 Superman but he was weaker all along, Superman rebirth story arc hinted it and Supergirl rebirth issue 8 totally confirmed that Dr Manhattan split Superman into two supermen his new 52 counter part and himself but weaker in order to deplete him which makes New 52 Superman half as potent as Post crisis Superman.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah a lot of differences such not having the same costume and he's not married to Lois Lane and he's a bit less boy scout anyway people over the years thought he was stronger than pre 52 Superman but he was weaker all along, Superman rebirth story arc hinted it and Supergirl rebirth issue 8 totally confirmed that Dr Manhattan split Superman into two supermen his new 52 counter part and himself but weaker in order to deplete him which makes New 52 Superman half as potent as Post crisis Superman.

No Caption Provided

Strange benching the planet at weakened is pretty cool :) . Red and Blue they been doing this since for years

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
    ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ThEBeStOfTheBeST

@termiteone4ever: Yea, am pretty sure Rebirth Supes is stronger tho, besides Pre 52 Supes before the fusion was stated that his cells absorb and metabolize solar energies faster than New 52 Supes.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.