Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Magic in Superman

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Should stories with the man of steel have this as a staple(with the sun god rao stuff), I personally want it in because super science is never gonna be as grand as fantasy and I am sick of fanboys tellling me Superman goes down to a supremely hax sorcerer ever time he even scratches his wand. At least combine the two, Superman being a mystical sorta deity crossed with a super alien that breaks all the physics he wants.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12:

That would require a reboot and a clean slate.

For your idea to work they could do something similar to Atlanteans.

We would see for example that Krypton originally was barren and without any life. Basically a dead world, then comes Rao, the last of a race of godlike beings.

He imbues and saturates the planet with his energy. Changing it in the process, making it unique. So kryptonian lifeforms would be the result of magic combined with genetics.

And then we could add to kryptonians some degree of magical resistance. And somehow explain why kryptonian lifeforms are as they are.

Would most old school fans accept anything like this... Hell no! A minority would, but most would never accept this.

They can't even accept the idea that kryptonian powers might contain some psionic element to it. Less alone magic.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean, should DC continue to play up the formerly alluded angle that Superman is a descendant of the Kryptonian pantheon, Rao specifically, and is essentially a Demi-God in order to explain the extent of his abilities?

Personally, I don't care if they do or don't, since Superman existing in the same character niche as Thor wouldn't change the fact that he is who he is because he was raised in a modest American home with two parents who loved him and raised him to try to do the right thing even though it could be a hell of a lot easier not to.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By dernman

No I don't want his powers to be magical or god based at all. This is from someone who loves both those things. Just let him be what he is. There is nothing wrong with his powers being purely science. Don't change it because of some battle forum mindset.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

No I don't want his powers to be magical or god based at all. This is from someone who loves both those things. Just let him be what he is. There is nothing wrong with his powers being purely science. Don't change it because of some battle forum mindset.

But his showings defy any level of explainble science and even comicbook physics. He doing the things like T-Vo and being a guy who wrestles any angel is freakin beyond his genre's standards. So I vote him being half mystical.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@dernman said:

But his showings defy any level of explainble science and even comicbook physics. He doing the things like T-Vo and being a guy who wrestles any angel is freakin beyond his genre's standards. So I vote him being half mystical.

No they don't defy comicbook physics as to how it applies to him. Especially when both Marvel and DC make an effort to show that magic is just another form of energy. It's not beyond him because he has consistency with these things. Even if that was a problem which its not there are many better ways to explain it instead of jumping the shark. Like learning how tor deal with it from his magical based friends. Something he's done in the past. So I take the more sensible choice and vote no.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.