Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is their anyone who doesnt like superman and why?

Tradog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Tradog

i like superman a lot but I wounder if anyone doesnt and why.

Avatar image for loaded_revolver
    Loaded Revolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Loaded Revolver

I don't like Superman.The writing that surrounds him sucks and makes little sense.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SUNMAN

Tradog!!!!!! Long time no see.

I use to love Superman. I still like him, but over the last two or three years I have had some issue with him
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DEGRAAF

i love superman but my neighbor has always hated him bc of his always looking for the good in people and how he didnt earn his powers they were just given to him and how he turns in to a whiney lil baby when kryptonite is around. Also she hates his morals and basically everything that is different from batman. She loves him and thinks that he will always be better than superman in every way

Lord's Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lord's Angel

Superman is lame with too many Supermen dog kids girls cats goldfish.....ect. Too many powers.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6  Edited By The_Martian

I am iffy about Superman. I understand his importance to the comic book world, but as a character he is not my favorite. I used to hate him with a passion, but I've gotten over it and am even reading his current series.

Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Matezoide2

i dont like Superman,before i used to hate him.heres why:

1) costume: he looks ridiculos,realy.

2) writing: way too inconsistent and DC seens to be WANTING Superman becomes stronger than Galactus,also that Golden Version and Silver Age makes things worse,also he is always getting new powers,you will see in a year we will have a Superman with is a massive energy manipulator.

now i completly HATE Flash,i mean he is just patetic now,now he heals real fast,created an armour,infinite mass punch etc...and the explanation is lame "ho the Speed Force can do that too"

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By Erik

I love Superman. The only thing I am not so sure of is this New Krypton thing.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By danhimself

new krypton has been an awesome read and it got me reading superman for the first time since his death

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AtPhantom
    Matezoide said:
    "2) writing: way too inconsistent and DC seens to be WANTING Superman becomes stronger than Galactus,also that Golden Version and Silver Age makes things worse,also he is always getting new powers,you will see in a year we will have a Superman with is a massive energy manipulator.""
    Supes hasn't developed new powers in years... he's gotten stronger over the years, but I don't he'll ever go over the moving the planet limit. Galactus would stomp him any day.
    Tradog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tradog

well i like supes but trust me if you have ever been in a goku vs superman debate just wow people will say he is a god or they wrote him or he is real and jesus doesnt exist but superman does they will bash you anime and the way they talked about him just made feel  well bad about him and not to say he is overpowered and has had so many upgrades.

Tradog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tradog

eric nice to see ya again im trying to get in more debates to be your level  and sunman my internet went out and im at a friends house so i can use it until i pay my bill.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Erik

Hello Tradog. Lol. On my level. I am not one people should aspire to be like in the debates. It is the Creator and Buckshot. They are the end all be all of comic debates. 

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I use to be a huge Superman fan back in the day, right around the time of his death. But once he came back he started to get really lame to me. Although I did enjoy the Eradicator, he was such an anti-superman, I think that's what I like most about him. But I have heard alot of good things about New Krypton, so I might check it out once it hits TPB.

Avatar image for jesterlichloath
    jesterlichloath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jesterlichloath

biggest reason im not a fan is the whole clark kent put on glasses and no one knows him its like everyone there is mentally handicapped and should be drooling on themselves

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By MrDirector786

Superman may not be my favorite hero but I still think he's the greatest superhero of all.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Korg

I don't like Superman because he has way too much history, and it's expensive to catch up on him and other DC characters. :P

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By King_Saturn
    I still like Superman... I always will... he has given us too much as a character.. to not at least get my respect
    Avatar image for alexander_anderson
    Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Superman is one of lamest, most unappealing characters in comics.  I can't relate to him.  His motivations never rang true for me.  His powerset is ridiculous.  His personality is like nails on a chalkboard.  He's like everything I hate about DC comics in one big dumb package.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Overpowered and boring...

HOWEVER: There are a few stories I've loved:
    New Krypton
    Emperor Joker
    Red Son

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SUNMAN
    Vindellavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vindellavon

He's boring to me, very boring. I've never liked him, personally, though I did pity him throughout a few of the comics. He's overpowered, that's for sure, and he broods more than anything else.

Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Feral Nova  Moderator
    Tradog said:
    "i like superman a lot but I wounder if anyone doesnt and why."

oh oh oh! I dislike superman with the passion of a hundread burning suns! :D

Why? Because he's too overpowered! One of his major weaknesses is a peice of rock that has to be from his planet and, GASP has been distroyed -_- I just think the stories arnt worth reading, he's too powerful, and the character just itself, doesnt interest me at all. He's too... blah...
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I wouldn't say I hate him. He is just so invulnerable and they have to up the ante with a super overpowered villain just to fight him. I personally like underdogs.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SUNMAN

tell me he isn't overpowered

Nibiru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nibiru

Superman is okay, I really like Geoff John's Legion stuff with him and All-Star Superman by Morrison, but Majestic and Apollo will always be my favorite flying bricks.

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#27  Edited By Meteorite

I don't like Superman because:

1. He's too invincible. He only has one weakness and it's gay.
    2. I'm a Marvel fanboy and am really biased (I can admit it).
    Yaujtapool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Yaujtapool

I dont like superman at all mainly because of him being so overpowered , anyway im more into street level characters and mid-tier guys like Ironman but i dont enjoy hugely overpowered characters like supes .

~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
    Nibiru said:
    "Superman is okay, I really like Geoff John's Legion stuff with him..."
    I second that.
    Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mortein

I don't like him nor do I hate him

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dane

The thing I don't like about Superman is his arch nemesis is Lex Luthor, who has no super powers at all whilst Superman is all Superman'd and it's like I kinda feel like Lex is the underdog like he's using his brain a hell of a lot more to come up with these scehmes so why doesn't he deserve to win? It's like the opposite of Batman where a lot of his rogues outpower him and Batman has to try and win when hes outgunned. Kinda the same as Spiderman, most of Spiderman's rogues have more power than him, but he still manages to win. Also any Superman story that involves the word 'Kryptonite' can go to hell, I don't know what the obsession DC had with making random weaknesses for heroes but its absolutely stupid. Tony Stark has a weakness - alcoholism, but you dont see all his villains carrying 40's of vodka around in suitcases or dangling some white rum on a fishing line out the window of Avenger's Tower. But every time some moron wants to smash up the man of steel they gotta get themselves some kryptonite woo, real inventive its only been done 3000 times. It was a plot device the first time, now its just stupid.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AtPhantom

For the most of the post crisis universe, DC agreed with you. Since COIE there has been only a couple of pounds of kryptonite on the whole planet, not so many people could actually get their hands on it. Then in 2004 several tons of the stuff fell into Gotham harbour along with Supergirl.
    Finally, last year in Superman/Batman, They collected all the kryptonite on the planet and tossed it into the sun. To our knowledge, the only kryptonite remaining on the planet is in the Batcave and possibly some government bunkers.

BatDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BatDance

1Superman is mostly for the elite “ruling class” keeping the people of Metropolis rich and powerful, Batman had to fight from the ground up to defeat Gotham of most of its criminal underworld. Superman allows criminals like Lex to rise and become President
    2The top villain isn't super Super monster or Super god, its a real estate twit. Lex sucks
    3His powers are annoying, everything in Superman is about bad guys trying to garb kryptonite or else there's no drama, you know for certain he's not going to end up in a wheelchair like Miss Gordon
    4Nine out of ten times Superman writing is terrible
    5He became a pawn and a weapon for military powers. USSR, RonnieRaygun take your pick Superman has sold out to the military industrail complex many times
    6Why can't anyone figure out that Superman and Clark Kent are the same person?
    7Lois is lame, that kind of falling out a window girl might have been cool in the 50s but its not cool anymore. They tried to fix her giving her some woman's lib and girl power but she just became even more annoying
    8Superman and Lois have no chemistry. Only two people are able to save Lois actors Margot Kidder,  Teri Hatcher, more often than not she is horrible
    9He's overrated by fanboys, I hate his feats from pre-Crisis and his character is a poision on DC universe
    10Superman is like a spy cam or the patriot act, flying around the planet fixing everything to his own approval
    11The guy is, well, irrational
    12Superman too self righteous
    13Superman is known for feats of "dickery"
    14Expanding on "dickery" Superman has too much moral absolutism, he would jail people for smoking a cigarette if he could. While he isn't totally insane like the Punisher but he's still a dick, content to uphold the values of the elite ruling class and jail every guy for speeding or annoying any college kid that had a beer.
    15The Singer movie sucked, letting us know this character is dead
    16Where are all these Kryptionans coming from? They must have been breeding like rats before their planet went Boom. Superman has a son? Double WTF?
    17His costume is rubbish
    18Typical Superman story, Lois gets herself kidnapped and Superman has to rescue her. Lex has kryptonite, so he ends up beating the ** out of the man of steel. Superman recovers and wins. End of story. Bleh…
    19Doomsday was the best thing that happned him
    20the biggest mistake was bringing him back, not juts as one annoying 'hero' but as half a dozen different annoying Supermen

Tradog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tradog
    MrDirector786 said:
    "Superman may not be my favorite hero but I still think he's the greatest superhero of all."
    yea i think cap america is or shazam but in personality i guess not in power tho
    Pheeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Pheeke

Don't hate him but i do think he is a bit overpowered.

Tradog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tradog
    BatDance said:
    "1Superman is mostly for the elite “ruling class” keeping the people of Metropolis rich and powerful, Batman had to fight from the ground up to defeat Gotham of most of its criminal underworld. Superman allows criminals like Lex to rise and become President2The top villain isn't super Super monster or Super god, its a real estate twit. Lex sucks3His powers are annoying, everything in Superman is about bad guys trying to garb kryptonite or else there's no drama, you know for certain he's not going to end up in a wheelchair like Miss Gordon4Nine out of ten times Superman writing is terrible5He became a pawn and a weapon for military powers. USSR, RonnieRaygun take your pick Superman has sold out to the military industrail complex many times6Why can't anyone figure out that Superman and Clark Kent are the same person? 7Lois is lame, that kind of falling out a window girl might have been cool in the 50s but its not cool anymore. They tried to fix her giving her some woman's lib and girl power but she just became even more annoying8Superman and Lois have no chemistry. Only two people are able to save Lois actors Margot Kidder,  Teri Hatcher, more often than not she is horrible9He's overrated by fanboys, I hate his feats from pre-Crisis and his character is a poision on DC universe10Superman is like a spy cam or the patriot act, flying around the planet fixing everything to his own approval11The guy is, well, irrational12Superman too self righteous13Superman is known for feats of "dickery" 14Expanding on "dickery" Superman has too much moral absolutism, he would jail people for smoking a cigarette if he could. While he isn't totally insane like the Punisher but he's still a dick, content to uphold the values of the elite ruling class and jail every guy for speeding or annoying any college kid that had a beer.15The Singer movie sucked, letting us know this character is dead16Where are all these Kryptionans coming from? They must have been breeding like rats before their planet went Boom. Superman has a son? Double WTF? 17His costume is rubbish18Typical Superman story, Lois gets herself kidnapped and Superman has to rescue her. Lex has kryptonite, so he ends up beating the ** out of the man of steel. Superman recovers and wins. End of story. Bleh…19Doomsday was the best thing that happned him20the biggest mistake was bringing him back, not juts as one annoying 'hero' but as half a dozen different annoying Supermen"
    totaly agree lol at the punisher thing.
    green mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By green mage

i dont like superman because he's not that interesting in terns of powers or origins. batman has a cool origin and has really cool gadgets that take the place of powers but they are still cooler than super breath and heat vision. superman was just born with powers because he's a humanoid alien. thats not that cool. his only true super powers that arent just amplified human abilities are heat vision and flight. superman is just boring  however superman is the the template for most superheroes we see today in one way or another.

Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Matezoide2
    BatDance said:
    "1Superman is mostly for the elite “ruling class” keeping the people of Metropolis rich and powerful, Batman had to fight from the ground up to defeat Gotham of most of its criminal underworld. Superman allows criminals like Lex to rise and become President2The top villain isn't super Super monster or Super god, its a real estate twit. Lex sucks3His powers are annoying, everything in Superman is about bad guys trying to garb kryptonite or else there's no drama, you know for certain he's not going to end up in a wheelchair like Miss Gordon4Nine out of ten times Superman writing is terrible5He became a pawn and a weapon for military powers. USSR, RonnieRaygun take your pick Superman has sold out to the military industrail complex many times6Why can't anyone figure out that Superman and Clark Kent are the same person? 7Lois is lame, that kind of falling out a window girl might have been cool in the 50s but its not cool anymore. They tried to fix her giving her some woman's lib and girl power but she just became even more annoying8Superman and Lois have no chemistry. Only two people are able to save Lois actors Margot Kidder,  Teri Hatcher, more often than not she is horrible9He's overrated by fanboys, I hate his feats from pre-Crisis and his character is a poision on DC universe10Superman is like a spy cam or the patriot act, flying around the planet fixing everything to his own approval11The guy is, well, irrational12Superman too self righteous13Superman is known for feats of "dickery"14Expanding on "dickery" Superman has too much moral absolutism, he would jail people for smoking a cigarette if he could. While he isn't totally insane like the Punisher but he's still a dick, content to uphold the values of the elite ruling class and jail every guy for speeding or annoying any college kid that had a beer.15The Singer movie sucked, letting us know this character is dead16Where are all these Kryptionans coming from? They must have been breeding like rats before their planet went Boom. Superman has a son? Double WTF? 17His costume is rubbish18Typical Superman story, Lois gets herself kidnapped and Superman has to rescue her. Lex has kryptonite, so he ends up beating the ** out of the man of steel. Superman recovers and wins. End of story. Bleh…19Doomsday was the best thing that happned him20the biggest mistake was bringing him back, not juts as one annoying 'hero' but as half a dozen different annoying Supermen"
    you forgot reason number 21

DC for some reason made Superman a master of Kyrptonian Martial Arts for no reason and (according to Man of Yesterday) trained at Vahala for 1000 years

WTF?

TruePwnge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TruePwnge
    Matezoide said:
    "
    DC for some reason made Superman a master of Kyrptonian Martial Arts for no reason and (according to Man of Yesterday) trained at Vahala for 1000 years
    WTF?"
    Superman sucks
    methias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By methias

Superman is just such a lame character, he is ridiculously 1-dimensional, and they just decided to keep adding powers until they ran out of ideas.

BatDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BatDance

Over powered alien and annoying

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Calvin
    Matezoide said:
    ""
    I'm sorry to correct you but that was in trinity.
    Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman were kind of connected among themselves. In this particularly case superman was fighting Ultraman but instead of punching him on the face like he always do, he used Batman's fighting skills and pressure points knowledge. Imagine Superman strength plus Batman's skills. Ultraman stood no chance...
    Triumphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Triumphant

Superman does indeed have knowledge of pressure points and other forms of martial arts. Of course not on Batman's level but he does have ability.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb35bcd18369
    deactivated-5fb35bcd18369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am more of a Superman Prime fan (you are all going to HATE me and rag on me for saying that...I just know it!) than a mainstream Superman fan, but the first two issues of New World of Krypton has piqued my interest enough that I subscribed to it. Anyways there are many aspects of Superman that have kept me away from his titles and the main one is what Methias mentioned in an earlier post: Superman is too 1-Dimensional. You could almost say Superman is a borderline Mary Sue.

I mean...if you compare him with oh, let's say his dark counterpart Superman Prime, it's all too obvious that Prime has certain qualities that Superman himself lacks. Qualities that define Prime as being more of a believable character and take away that 1-Dimensional feeling you might get from the normal Superman, however like the normal Superman they keep giving Prime more powers which really takes away from the realism of it all. Anyways, the reason I say that is because Superman has always been so perfect, he's never really experienced any REAL tragedy, not like Prime. Prime lost EVERYTHING and EVERYONE he ever loved and unlike many characters who eventually get what they lost back Prime never will, he will always have to live with the knowledge that he sacrificed everything for the sake of people who were Fictional in his world, that it was the biggest mistake he ever made and that it's caused him to spiral out of control. Prime has flaws, he is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and as for the horrible things he's done...it is something that probably everyone on Earth would do if they experienced what he did.

Now...if Lois Lane, Supergirl, Power Girl, his Aunt Alura and Martha Kent were to all die at the same time I can assure you that at they'd all be brought back quickly and everything in Superman's life would be all perfect again. Now, let's let's compare Superman to Spider-Man in terms of realism, you can obviously tell that Spider-Man is the more realistic of the two. Every day of Spider-Man's life usually ends up being one tragedy after the next and now to make things catastrophicaly worse one of his greatest enemies, Norman Osborn, now has gained control of everything. The citizens of The United States of America are hailing him as a Hero, he was handed The Ultimate Golden Ticket on a Silver Platter. Osborn controls The Avengers, he controls The Initiative, he owns Avengers Tower. He has it all and Spider-Man...well his life is getting worse by the second. I don't remember anything like that happening to Superman other than the time Lex Luthor became President of the United States of America but even that doesn't even come close to what's happening with Spider-Man now.

But I don't totally hate Superman. He just needs he needs to be revamped. He also needs to destroy his old costume and keep wearing the standard issue Kryptonian Military Guild Uniform from now on.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

CrossKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CrossKill

Okay, now my thoughts.
    Super man was an original, and a big influence of the rise of superheros
    However, he is, in every sense of the word GENERIC
    His costume? Spandex, and a cape, all of which are in primary colors
    His powers? He can do everything you can do, but super
    His personality? Mr. Hardworking-joe american. Hell, even Iron man would take to the bottle every once in a while.
    His weakness? A big glowy rock, which is constantly overused.
    Superman was one of the first in the line of Super heros, but now whenever you want to picture a bland costumed crusader, it always comes to, (One way, or another) to something resembling superman.
    Yeah, I know they're trying to change that by making S-man into an emo, but I just get the feeling thats not gonna cut it. (Pun not intended)
    And if you ask me, I think they shoulda put superman in a wheel chair a long time ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb35bcd18369
    deactivated-5fb35bcd18369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CrossKill said:
    "

Okay, now my thoughts.
    Super man was an original, and a big influence of the rise of superheros
    However, he is, in every sense of the word GENERIC
    His costume? Spandex, and a cape, all of which are in primary colors
    His powers? He can do everything you can do, but super
    His personality? Mr. Hardworking-joe american. Hell, even Iron man would take to the bottle every once in a while.
    His weakness? A big glowy rock, which is constantly overused.
    Superman was one of the first in the line of Super heros, but now whenever you want to picture a bland costumed crusader, it always comes to, (One way, or another) to something resembling superman.
    Yeah, I know they're trying to change that by making S-man into an emo, but I just get the feeling thats not gonna cut it. (Pun not intended)
    And if you ask me, I think they shoulda put superman in a wheel chair a long time ago.

"
    Or they could have had him permanently trapped in the body of that kid who was physically disabled and had built a machine that allowed him to switch bodies with Superman. I can't remember what comic that story was in but I know it had an old incarnation of The Teen Titans in it and it shows "Superman" on the cover choking Donna Troy while the others are failing in their attempt to stop him from killing her.
    CrossKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CrossKill

not exactly what I meant, but . . .

TruePwnge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TruePwnge

Everybody hates superdickery

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Erik
    SUNMAN said:
    "tell me he isn't overpowered

"
    Awesome!
    Mr.Voo the Doo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#50  Edited By Mr.Voo the Doo
    Meteorite said:
    "I don't like Superman because:
    1. He's too invincible. He only has one weakness and it's gay.
    2. I'm a Marvel fanboy and am really biased (I can admit it).
    "
    ditto

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.