Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18885 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is superman affected by KI/Chi...?

• 73 results
    flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

in the DC universe is Chi considered as "magic" ?

or is superman affected anything "supernatural" ...?

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has no protection against supernatural stuff. Atleast not magic, It's gonna hurt him like any creature.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magic and supernatural – pretty much one and the same in comics.

Ki/chi – well, I know that Post-Crisis Superman affected by that. Then again, it’s probably just like with magic – when in serious need, Supes most likely will be able to overcome ki/chi’ effects.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Interesting point, in theory Danny Rand could one shot Supes :P

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure he would be if the ki blast/beam was really powerful. Superman can feel punches if he is hit hard enough, so im sure if the ki blast was immensely powerful he would feel it, its not like its going to go right through him.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we stop this now before the wrong person comes in and turns this into another Superman vs Goku thread ? Also no I don't think he has any special defence against it, but like most things in comics it depends on who is writing him.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Chi is often considered a different thing altogether from magic. An interesting discussion about chi being magic was brought up on this thread here: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/battle-of-the-week-eriks-battle-scenario-capes-1549942/?page=72

And I don't think Danny can one shot Superman either. Durable beings like the Hulk have tanked the full force of Danny's strikes and Superman's blunt force trauma resistance is among the best in the DCU. If he can shrug off a punch to the moon, he can tank Danny's punches too.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Goku can one shot Superman? GG!

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Ki was said not to be magical.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Chi is magical. It's metaphysical, sure, but it's usually depicted as something untapped that any person, with training, can do.

Avatar image for super_saiyan_3_gohan
    Super_Saiyan_3_Gohan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the end, since these are completely different universes, it's going to boil down to a matter of personal opinion unless Toriyama and DC comics come up with something, which seems unlikely. For me, I do believe Superman can definitely be hurt by ki, maybe not killed, but like magic, it's a supernatural foreign effect on his body that he isn't prepared to deal with. Who knows, for all we know, Superman is so weak he almost dies in the beginning but can adapt to it, like the Borg! You just don't know.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashback0180:

Where is this coming from? DBZ?

Either way, the answer is simple. Superman can withstand chi quite well.

After all chi isn't magic, has you well know. Chi/Ki is a natural energy that's produced when a person can control its body energy and manifest it in a controlled and deliberate way.

Magic involves either the ability to reach unnatural states of mind and still being aware of what's happening around the individual and using that higher state of mind to manipulate the world around it. That or some natural born connection to those different planes of existence and the ability to use the body has a conduct to the energies of those planes.

So chi/ki Superman can handle like any natural force, but magic is another matter altogether.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman has taken Shazams magic lightning punches just fine.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chi/ki is spiritual energy within living beings that is drawn upon from within oneself.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ariesxmasters

Yes Superman can be affected and would be vulnerable to it.

Superman and other Kryptonians are invulnerable to stuff only on earth (Like earth guns and earth swords, anything above that level can kill them like a nuke). If it is unearthly like Superman can be affected by it most likely.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SodamYat

Superman and other Kryptonians are invulnerable to stuff only on earth (Like earth guns and earth swords, anything above that level can kill them like a nuke). If it is unearthly like Superman can be affected by it most likely.

facepalm animated GIF

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@ariesxmasters said:

No Caption Provided

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters: Chi isn't considered supernatural. It's exotic, sure, but it's considered to be a natural power that is simply untapped by most. Sort of like chakras.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters: seriously though. From past comments youve made, its clear you dont read comics. So, my question is, why dont you just not talk about things you dont know about? Like, why dont you instead just say that you dont know. At the very least, preface your comments by saying "I dont know, but I think that maybe..."

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

His durability comes from his Aura, and Chi is Aura right? So he should be resistant to it

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ariesxmasters

@reactor said:

@ariesxmasters: Chi isn't considered supernatural. It's exotic, sure, but it's considered to be a natural power that is simply untapped by most. Sort of like chakras.

Annnh you get the idea though.

@sodamyat said:

@ariesxmasters: seriously though. From past comments youve made, its clear you dont read comics. So, my question is, why dont you just not talk about things you dont know about? Like, why dont you instead just say that you dont know. At the very least, preface your comments by saying "I dont know, but I think that maybe..."

What do you mean I don't read Comics? Are you stupid? I download all the Wednesday releases from Marvel and DC Comics which is why all my Comics are digital, and I have 100+ gigabytes worth of Digital Comics on this computer, so yes I read Comics. Also tell me what part of my statement is wrong.

No Caption Provided

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SodamYat

@sodamyat said:

What do you mean I don't read Comics? Are you stupid? I download all the Wednesday releases from Marvel and DC Comics which is why all my Comics are digital, and I have 100+ gigabytes worth of Digital Comics on this computer, so yes I read Comics. Also tell me what part of my statement is wrong.

I sure cant tell based on your past comments and the one you made on this thread. You said:

You asked what about your statement is wrong. Ive underlined those parts.

You said Kryptonians are only invulnerable to things only on earth. that statement alone shows ignorance on this subject. Kryptonians are invulnerable in Venus, space, mars, too. among other places

You said anything above a sword or a gun can kill them. Ridiculous.

You said a nuke can kill them. Facepalm. Superman has tanked nukes before..SMH.

You said if its not from earth it can most likely affect Kryptonians..Again facepalm. Whether something is from earth or not has no bearing on whether it would hurt Superman or not.

You have over 100 gigs worth of comics...right. I guess none of them happen to be books about kryptonians because anybody with the most basic of knowledge on superman would know more than youve displayed.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@sodamyat said:

I sure cant tell based on your past comments and the one you made on this thread. You said:

You said Kryptonians are only invulnerable to things only on earth. that statement alone shows ignorance on this subject. Kryptonians are invulnerable in Venus, space, mars, too. among other places

You said if its not from earth it can most likely affect Kryptonians..Again facepalm. Whether something is from earth or not has no bearing on whether it would hurt Superman or not.

You have over 100 gigs worth of comics...right. I guess none of them happen to be books about kryptonians because anybody with the most basic of knowledge on superman would know more than youve displayed.

Here are the sources.

This is Superman almost killed by a nuke, but he barely escaped.

Supergirl said in that third scan "I'm invulnerable. . . at least to most anything on earth"

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@sodamyat said:

Here are the sources.

Supergirl said in that third scan "I'm invulnerable. . . at least to most anything on earth"

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Jesus...

1. it doesnt say anwywhere that he almost died.

2. he already took a nuke while severely weakened and didnt die.

3. thats Powergirl from earth 2 no freaking Supergirl.

4. Again, You said Kryptonians are only invulnerable to things only on earth. that statement alone shows ignorance on this subject. Kryptonians are invulnerable in Venus, space, mars, too. among other places. Hence why even the Powergirl you showed has been fighting in space. But you should know that since you read the comics, right?

5. You said anything above a sword or a gun can kill them. Ridiculous.

6. You said if its not from earth it can most likely affect Kryptonians..Again facepalm. Whether something is from earth or not has no bearing on whether it would hurt Superman or not.

These things are basic knowledge.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ariesxmasters

@sodamyat said:

"Superman! You. . . made it out. . . "

"Barely good thing you realized I'd hear the missile coming and would have time to escape"

That statement means he almost died lol.

Ignorance? You see the page where Powergirl even says it. Uhhh this is still a work of fiction, genius, if Superman, Powergirl, Batman, Green Lantern, Daredevil, Spider-man, Hawkeye or any other fictional character need to fight in space for the story or writer they will. . . I mean Comics are made for entertainment not realism no one else besides maybe CV and AV give a crap about realism. There is a guy name Superman from the planet Krypton who can fly and shoot lasers out his eyes and pick up cars easily, that doesn't sound like realism to me.

You're pushing away what is right in front of your face which is kind of funny tbh. There is fanboy and then there is you. Personally I don't give 1 cent about trying to make any character look stronger or weaker than they already are I see whats on the page and take it for what it is.

It is kind of tough to keep up with every single characters name and details when you have and read as many Comics as I do, as you can see I have 3,801 files of just straight Digital Comics from all these companies.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SodamYat

@ariesxmasters said:

You sai

Jesus...

4. Again, You said Kryptonians are only invulnerable to things only on earth. that statement alone shows ignorance on this subject. Kryptonians are invulnerable in Venus, space, mars, too. among other places. Hence why even the Powergirl you showed has been fighting in space. But you should know that since you read the comics, right?

6. You said if its not from earth it can most likely affect Kryptonians..Again facepalm. Whether something is from earth or not has no bearing on whether it would hurt Superman or not.

"Barely good thing you realized I'd hear the missile coming and would have time to escape"

Ignorance? You see the page where Powergirl even says it. Uhhh this is still a work of fiction, genius, if Superman, Powergirl, Batman, Green Lantern, Daredevil, Spider-man, Hawkeye or any other fictional character need to fight in space for the story or writer they will. . . I mean Comics are made for entertainment not realism no one else besides maybe CV and AV give a crap about realism. There is a guy name Superman from the planet Krypton who can fly and shoot lasers out his eyes and pick up cars easily, that doesn't sound like realism to me.

You're pushing away what is right in front of your face which is kind of funny tbh. There is fanboy and then there is you. Personally I don't give 1 cent about trying to make any character look stronger or weaker than they already are I see whats on the page and take it for what it is.

ROFLMAO. You cant be serious. LMAO.

I already told you hes tanked a nuke while severely weakened.

And then ive mentioned times theyve been outside of earth and been just fine since being on earth doesnt matter.

your comments are made up and out of nowhere. the origin of weapons does not matter.

ive countered all of your ridiculously vapid comments with facts.

You cant offer a dense argument like "powergirl is only invulnerable on earth" and then get countered by me by saying that shes been in outter space battling just fine, by saying something so vapid as "oh well, its comics," NO. you just got countered and the conversation is over.

Think things through better next time.

Beta_Stage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Beta_Stage

You know, I always wondered what would happen if he could use ki like a DB character. Would it make him stronger, faster, and tougher? Or would it simply give him a extra power source for his powers? Would the aura field make him resistant to kryptonite? Could he combine solar energy with it to create Super Heat Vision? The possibilities are almost endless.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

@ariesxmasters said:

You sai

Jesus...

And then ive mentioned times theyve been outside of earth and been just fine since being on earth doesnt matter.

your comments are made up and out of nowhere. the origin of weapons does not matter.

You cant offer a dense argument like "powergirl is only invulnerable on earth" and then get countered by me by saying that shes been in outter space battling just fine, by saying something so vapid as "oh well, its comics," NO. you just got countered and the conversation is over.

The writer>>>>>>>>>>>A random Comicvine user.

Real world physics=/= Fictional world physics.

Writer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Feats.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feats >>>> your foolish comments

me proving they are invulnerable in space just like earth = easily countered your silly comment about kryptonians only being invulnerable on earth

writer acknowledges that superman tanks nukes by the feat of him doing it and by saying it on twitter IIRC

LOL this is too easy.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ariesxmasters

@sodamyat said:

@ariesxmasters said:

me proving they are invulnerable in space just like earth = easily countered your silly comment about kryptonians only being invulnerable on earth

writer acknowledges that superman tanks nukes by the feat of him doing it and by saying it on twitter IIRC

LOL this is too easy.

Uhhm powergirl said about Kryptonians being invulnerable to almost anything earthly like. (The writer)

Superman is the one who said he barely made it out before the nuke. (The Writer)

Haha and you actually take feats as bible truth which is pretty funny.

Feats are so unreliable and like the worst way to measure any characters capabilities, they contradict each other all the time as you saw. You probably still believe in santa claws

No Caption Provided

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ying that shes been in outter space battling just fine, by saying something so vapid as "oh well, its comics," NO. you just got countered and the conversation is over.

LOL this is too easy.

Uhhm powergirl said about Kryptonians being invulnerable to almost anything earthly like. (The writer)

Superman is the one who said he barely made it out before the nuke. (The Writer)

Haha and you actually take feats as bible truth which is pretty funny.

Feats are so unreliable and like the worst way to measure any characters capabilities, they contradict each other all the time as you saw. You probably still believe in santa claws

No she didnt.

and from that your mind assumend that he almost died(LOL)

LMAO your funny

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: What is the actual argument now? that they don't have power in space. I lost track lol

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@sodamyat: What is the actual argument now? that they don't have power in space. I lost track lol

he's saying kryptonians are only invulnerable on earth(ROFL)

that anything above a sword and a gun can kill them (LMAO)

and that if a weapon is not made on earth it automatically can hurt kryptonians (LOL)

this is his exact comment:

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By w0nd

@sodamyat said:

@w0nd said:

he's saying kryptonians are only invulnerable on earth(ROFL)

that anything above a sword and a gun can kill them (LMAO)

and that if a weapon is not made on earth it automatically can hurt kryptonians (LOL)

this is his exact comment:

okay but what about the times they have flown off planet...and got in fights there?

He's flown to pluto...off planet, the cold alone would have killed him if he didn't have his power.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

okay but what about the times they have flown off planet...and got in fights there?

psh, he was obviously just holding his breath...dude, dont you know, all batman needs to do is get a rock from the moon and throw it at superman and he'll bleed to death.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By w0nd

@sodamyat said:

@w0nd said:

psh, he was obviously just holding his breath...dude, dont you know, all batman needs to do is get a rock from the moon and throw it at superman and he'll bleed to death.

ahh yes logical. he loses his invulnerability but still has his other powers.

so if he is off the planet and a rock hits him in the head it will hurt him, because its not a earth rock :)

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@sodamyat said:

@w0nd said:

ahh yes logical. he loses his invulnerability but still has his other powers.

so if he is off the planet and a rock hits him in the head it will hurt him, because its not a earth rock :)

yup. despite the fact that he's been shot ranagarian blasters without flinching and despite the fact that when he fights in space and other planets the yellow sun rays get to him more abundantly which further powers him....lol

but yea he loses his invulnerability if he's off planet....lol

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: Can't forget he himself stated without his invulnerability his super strength is meaningless in futures end where his powers got scattered.

Got got super strength punched a brick wall and mangled his arm.

enough sarcasm.

If there is enough power output he can be harmed, that's just how it is. A nuke has enough power to put him down, but every time he's been nuked he's survived so pft whatever.

If people want to pay attention to one scan that they interpreted their own way then that's on them lol.

SPM1M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Chi/ki/chakra is NATURAL life force that every living thing theoretically possesses. Magic is unnatural energy used to bend the rules of reality. It is not the same, many forms of media have a distinct line between the two even DBZ (LOL at the ppl wishing for this).

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By arthurkerr

I did some research on the subject mater for a story I am writing and this is my answer.

Ki/chi is the same thing. One is Korean and the other Japanese.

The basics of Ki or chi both being the same thing is. They are the energy of life itself. All people have the ability to use Ki or chi call it what you will. The energy of life.

So you see Goku pick up a dead bird in one of the movies and hold it in his hands and when he opens them the bird flies away.

The power to empower , the power to harness the power of life itself as a weapon or as a healing factor.

Thus you see evil has a dark energy and good has a blueish energy or even gold depending on what you wish to get done with it. Healing is in most cases gold color to show purity.

One of my main characters uses Ki , I made a mistake and put chi as well but i did not want to go back and fix it not a big mistake.

So would the power of Ki hurt Superman , and the best answer would be it is just energy like anything else , he is filled with such energy , sunlight is just another form of Chi or Ki however you wish to say it.

Remember when he was dying and he used the energy from the sunflower.

Well that is your answer , Superman uses Ki himself just not the same way as you expect.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat:

Why waste time trying to teach logical things to someone that doesn't understand logic.

Two things are clear, he was either trying to mess with someone or (and this is more likely) he doesn't have a clue about what he's talking about.

Talking to a wall, is talking to wall. The wall will not learn anything from you. So save your brainpower (and pacience) for those you can have a logical, meaningful, enlightning, debate.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat:

Why waste time trying to teach logical things to someone that doesn't understand logic.

Two things are clear, he was either trying to mess with someone or (and this is more likely) he doesn't have a clue about what he's talking about.

Talking to a wall, is talking to wall. The wall will not learn anything from you. So save your brainpower (and pacience) for those you can have a logical, meaningful, enlightning, debate.

True. I should have learned my lesson the moment i saw him saying that quicksilver is as fast as Flash. lol

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, does Chi even exist in the DCU?

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Chi isn't magic. Chi is metaphysical energy inside the human body.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jogga

Chi in DC is regarded as Earth energy. Which Lex Luther and the Question theorized could harm Superman, a solar being.

There are many things wrong with their assumption. Such as the fact that he isn't a being FROM the sun.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:

Chi in DC is regarded as Earth energy. Which Lex Luther and the Question theorized could harm Superman, a solar being.

There are many things wrong with their assumption. Such as the fact that he isn't a being FROM the sun.

lmao superman from the sun and earth energy hurting him is just really funny.

Chi is the force of life itself not earth energy wow... but you could say that the very earth is a battery of chi as wold be the sun and all things in existence.

G-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By G-Dude

Chi is a life source energy that can be used defensively and offensively. So yes Superman should be affected by it no matter what.

Avatar image for supermandefender
    supermandefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g-dude said:

Chi is a life source energy that can be used defensively and offensively. So yes Superman should be affected by it no matter what.

False. You are talking about the 2005 arc titled the Question? Where Lex Luther builds a machine to gather chi energy and use it to kill Superman?

You should seriously read the comic buddy. Superman is not weak against Chi itself. Superman in that comic actually tanked a chi blast like nothing happened.

Also, the plot to kill Superman using the Chi wasn't about building up massive Chi energy to blast at him. The point of gathering the Chi energy was to give it to a magic user called a Psychopomp who could compel Supermans soul itself with that power to go to eternal torment. The only reason why this was possible was because Superman at one point in time died already. Superman vs Doomsday.

Psychopomp is a spiritual guide to the next world. They are known in history has angels, demons, deities, or a person that walks between both worlds. Like the Question or Phantom Stranger for example.

Chi is not special in DC comics. Characters like Zantanna, Constantine, ect all use chi to preform magic. The Chi itself does not harm Superman. Even Superman himself has chi energy in him. A Lifeforce energy. Only Supernatural energy can harm Superman. Magic!

Lex Luthers plot with the science spire was to gather all the chi energy and let Psychopomp command Supermans soul out of him and send him to a living hell where he would suffer torment for eternity. That was the plot. And it failed thanks to the Question who killed the Psychopomp before it he could even use it.

G-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g-dude said:

False. You are talking about the 2005 arc titled the Question? Where Lex Luther builds a machine to gather chi energy and use it to kill Superman?

You should seriously read the comic buddy. Superman is not weak against Chi itself. Superman in that comic actually tanked a chi blast like nothing happened.

Also, the plot to kill Superman using the Chi wasn't about building up massive Chi energy to blast at him. The point of gathering the Chi energy was to give it to a magic user called a Psychopomp who could compel Supermans soul itself with that power to go to eternal torment. The only reason why this was possible was because Superman at one point in time died already. Superman vs Doomsday.

Psychopomp is a spiritual guide to the next world. They are known in history has angels, demons, deities, or a person that walks between both worlds. Like the Question or Phantom Stranger for example.

Chi is not special in DC comics. Characters like Zantanna, Constantine, ect all use chi to preform magic. The Chi itself does not harm Superman. Even Superman himself has chi energy in him. A Lifeforce energy. Only Supernatural energy can harm Superman. Magic!

Lex Luthers plot with the science spire was to gather all the chi energy and let Psychopomp command Supermans soul out of him and send him to a living hell where he would suffer torment for eternity. That was the plot. And it failed thanks to the Question who killed the Psychopomp before it he could even use it.

Chi in the dc universe and DBZ are different so I have no doubt that it would have a problem affecting Superman.

CairoV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CairoV

Da fuq?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.