Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

I was one of those people who wanted Superman more "edgey"

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
    Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jasoninthewoods

But they went to far.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On what injustice? Movie? Comic?

Toratorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Toratorn

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

starrk_coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toratorn said:

there! right there is your answer! well done!

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are part of the problem not the solution

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want Superman to be "edgy," then you don't understand Superman.

sooperfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sooperfly

Superman is supposed to be the greater good, an incorruptible being that cant fall under pressure or grow irritated by 'lesser beings' (AKA humans) he shouldn't be edgy because then we'd have an angry Superman and an angrier Batman as world's finest. what makes the team ups with them so great is that one is the complete icon of Darkness while the other is the symbol of Light, purity, and hope.However people misinterpret Snyder Superman as being dark and edgy, Cavil Superman is as Superman as it comes (IMO) but he's surrounded by a dark and hopeless world that doesn't welcome him or his powers, nothing edgy on him,just his surroundings

this is a perfect representation of what Superman should be imo

@william300 said:

exactly

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooperfly: Dude, you took the words RIGHT out of my mouth. If people don't want a pure Superman, then they should just stick to other heroes. And you're right about Henry's Superman not being dark or un-Superman like at all. It's just the world he's in. But, once he returns, things will be entirely different and we'll get a shining boy scout version (but hopefully not like Chris Reeve's).

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BlueHope

I never got why people want him to be more violent and/or kill people but no one complain about Spiderman never killing and holding back against his enemies even being human,younger,far more vulnerable and with less experience than(before flashpoint) Superman.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooperfly: Dude, you took the words RIGHT out of my mouth. If people don't want a pure Superman, then they should just stick to other heroes. And you're right about Henry's Superman not being dark or un-Superman like at all. It's just the world he's in. But, once he returns, things will be entirely different and we'll get a shining boy scout version (but hopefully not like Chris Reeve's).

What's wrong with Chris?!

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By buttersdaman000

@william300 said:

I wouldn't go that far, but I see what you're saying.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Shame on you. >:(

allend4bbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By allend4bbt

It's not about being edgy. It's about being foul-able. Many complain that Supes is unrelatable and too powerful. Having a Superman that reacts and tries to do what's right while sometimes making mistakes or "over-reacting" humanizes him. If you want to read about a god, read the bible. If he's always right, then why even have the JL. Just ask Supes to take care of everything, cause he's right.

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba: For his time, nothing. He was great. But today, he'd come off as a bit corny, campy, and outdated. Henry's Superman, in regards to charming and fun, will likely share similarities with his character Napoleon Solo in The Man from Uncle. He won't be a blunt playboy with the occasional foul-mouth, but he will be very charming indeed.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I don't think it went far enough. Personally, here's a bunch of changes I think needed to happen

-Clark should have worked as a Delivery Boy, to relate to the teenagers

-Lois Lane is now a Valley Girl

-Jimmy Olsen is an aspiring rapper

-Superman now flies with the help of a hoverboard

-Superman no longer gets his powers via the sun, but now by drinking energy drinks.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Squalleon

@allend4bbt said:
    @saintwildcard said:

I don't think it went far enough. Personally, here's a bunch of changes I think needed to happen

-Clark should have worked as a Delivery Boy, to relate to the teenagers

-Lois Lane is now a Valley Girl

-Jimmy Olsen is an aspiring rapper

-Superman now flies with the help of a hoverboard

-Superman no longer gets his powers via the sun, but now by drinking energy drinks.

No Caption Provided

He was trolling.

Secondly you should know that insults aren't allowed even tame ones like this pic, which someone had used before and was taken down by mods.

I advice you to remove the image so you don't get a warning.

Avatar image for deactivated-631c3102b31d4
    deactivated-631c3102b31d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are tons of edgy Superman clones out there, if you grow tired of the original material, you can always turn to those.

On a side note, what would you define as "edgy"?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#21 god_spawn  Moderator

@allend4bbt: He was making a joke, no need for the insulting images.

adrikito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By adrikito

I never require a superman with that attitude, BUT he was here when I started with DC and I liked the character.. Before I had no intention with superman, although, I wanted to give 1 opportunity and I read half of superdad serie.. until I report about rebirth..

Bad Luck.. I should have focused in Batman World, a world with less crazy changes. I get used to a character and DC must eliminate him...Superman is now as I thought before I start new52..

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is supposed to be the greater good, an incorruptible being that cant fall under pressure or grow irritated by 'lesser beings' (AKA humans) he shouldn't be edgy because then we'd have an angry Superman and an angrier Batman as world's finest. what makes the team ups with them so great is that one is the complete icon of Darkness while the other is the symbol of Light, purity, and hope.However people misinterpret Snyder Superman as being dark and edgy, Cavil Superman is as Superman as it comes (IMO) but he's surrounded by a dark and hopeless world that doesn't welcome him or his powers, nothing edgy on him,just his surroundings

@william300 said:

exactly

What's wrong with a little edge? And why does "edgy" automatically have to mean he gets angry?

Superman, from a mental and emotional POV is human. Like any human, he gets irritated, he gets frustrated. However, like any reasonable person, he's also capable of self-restraint. It's like when he called out Manchester Black and stated that it was so easy to give in to the same desires and feelings that Black and his team had. Recognizing those things is what makes Superman who he is. Not because he's always smiling and untouchable.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toratorn said:

sooperfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:
    @sooperfly said:

@william300 said:

exactly

What's wrong with a little edge? And why does "edgy" automatically have to mean he gets angry?

generally, if someone says a person is edgy they themselves are referring to how they have a short fuse. I also found this on Urban Dictionary :

edgy:

the act of being edgy is basically teenage kids that think theyre cool.

so basically by either definition. No Superman shouldn't be edgy.

Superman, from a mental and emotional POV is human. Like any human, he gets irritated, he gets frustrated. However, like any reasonable person, he's also capable of self-restraint. It's like when he called out Manchester Black and stated that it was so easy to give in to the same desires and feelings that Black and his team had. Recognizing those things is what makes Superman who he is. Not because he's always smiling and untouchable.

No, a properly written Superman isn't emotionally equally to a human. Superman is the greater good, the boy scout, the man of tomorrow. He is called these over the top names because his patience and love for other people are greater than the average. Your Manchester Black point contradicts with your point, to say 'like any other human, Superman has self restraint' is an understatement for how much he truly restrains himself both physically and mentally. He deals with BS and is bossed around by a literal human that dresses like a Bat, for no reason because in reality Superman can wipe Batman and his entire Bat-family out of earth within a second if he wanted to. Superman being the boy-scout is the only good way to write him imo, and if anyone wants an edgy Superman they might as well just read comics with Gladiator in them.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluehope: Because spiderman is better than Superman.

Also there are times Peter goes overboard. When he thought Norman Osborne died after killing Gwen he said he didn't even feel anything after and that killing was pointless.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooperfly: Edgy: at the forefront of a trend; experimental or avant-garde.

I don't think people know what this word means. Superman can be edgy and kind pretty easily. And Urban Dictionary is among the worst resources to pull from.

Most people who use Edgy and know what it means are referring to it as different, new, cool. That doesn't mean it has to be dark, dangerous, or whatever.

Why would Superman not be emotionally equal to a human? Was he not raised by humans whom instilled in him the morals that any good human would have. The Man of Tomorrow ia still a Man. He is not an all-powerful, emotionally disconnected, SuperGod incapable of having bad thoughts. That's Dr. Manhattan.

I think you're stuck on the idea of Superman as an ideal. That's what readers got tired of. You make it sound like Batman is some Justice Lord Dictator. He doesn't boss anyone. That implies He forces Clark to do something he doesn't want to. He can't and doesn't. Superman takes Batman's advice because he respects his intelligence and trusts him. They are friends. Kal can be edgy and be a boy-scout. When he becomes SuperManhattan, that is the problem.

sooperfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: OP is using edgy as in being more aggressive and angry

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.