Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

How SHOULD Superman look?

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Should he look like a cornfield big Kansas farm-boy? An alien aristocrat from an idyllic society? What does your ideal Superman look like?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deaditegonzo
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo:

That looks amazing but my ideal Superman is different. He looks like the son of alien scientists and behaves like the son of Kansas farmers. I guess my ideal Superman is drawn by Ryan sook

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArchiZoom

@pperspectiveandreality: how does that work out. He looks human and is a small town boy from Kansas, a little bit shy, a little bit broken and a little bit nerdy. That's how I see Clark personally. If you turn him into royalty, for me you've ruined him because then he'll be an oligarch hence an enemy of the people. Superman should be one of us and fight for us, do what we can't.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom:

How does making him look like an alien aristocrat, which by all means is what he is, change him into the enemy of the people? I'm simply talking about how he looks. His parents were a couple of the leading scientific minds on his planet and they were bread warriors as well. Genetics would dictate he look like they would rather than a "broken" "small town boy". Furthermore, I disagree with the notion that Clark is shy. I DO agree he should behave like a small town farm boy but I don't think he should look that way

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ArchiZoom

@pperspectiveandreality: Because oligarchs are the engineers of poverty. For me Superheroes should preferably stay the hell away from that ilk. I for one see Batman as a hypocrite. There's 7 billions of us in the world yet the world's wealth belongs to them. And don't bother saying he's a philanthropist because that almost makes it worse, they steal everything from us then feed us crumbs. Some people call that generosity. I've always wondered why everything and everyone around Superman is the best in their category, including him. He's the best, his parents were the greatest scientists in krypton, his girlfriend is the best journalist in the world. I find all this greatness around Superman nauseating because it pulls him away from us, it corrupts his humanity and denotes the writers willingness to glorify him more and more until he becomes the ruler of the Universe or something.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom:

.....okay but why does him looking genetically similar to his parents make him an "oligarch"? And the other things you listed are because Superman, and many other superheroes, note they're called "SUPERheroes", are power fantasy creatures of imagination. They're dream's incarnate. Also they are comic characters. I disagree with you fundamentally but this thread is about Superman's aesthetics. Let's stay on topic

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

He looks fine right now.

Avatar image for captaintightpants12
    CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Personally, I think he should look like your average guy from the mid-west. He should look like he grew up on a farm and handled the work size-wise, but he shouldn't look like he could take you in a fight or anything. Steve Lombard should feel like he can push him around, and he certainly shouldn't have bulging muscles or a six-pack. He should look like Christopher Reeves did. Normal looking guy that easily could have grown up on a farm, not a guy that spent all of his time in the gym working out.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ArchiZoom
    SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Leinil Francis Yu nailed it PERFECTLY

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w3bst3r: Personally? I think he's way too beefed up. But I think comic book Superman is way too beefed up. Although his name is a taboo around these parts, I thought Brandon Routh had the right build for the part. He looked like he could have grown up on a farm, gotten muscles from farm work, but didn't look like a gym rat at all.

This guy has to pass in public without a mask. Wouldn't everyone turn and look at the guy who looks like he just auditioned for 300 and say, "Hmmm?"

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captaintightpants12: Given how little time they gave Metropolis Clark, I'll hold off until the sequel comes out to see if Snyder & Co. will bother with All Star's reasoning that he alters his whole body language. If they could pull that off someway somehow, I'd be cool with it. Like you said, Cavill not trying to adjust his posture at all between the two will make me question how nobody at the Planet could figure out he looks really buff and resembles Superman with glasses.

CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w3bst3r: I guess I should have prefaced my statement with how Cavill's build was the absolute least of my concerns with their interpretation of Superman. I was absolutely not a fan of the movie, loath just seems like too gentle a word for how I felt about the movie, and I seriously doubt they care about how he acts as Daily Planet Clark Kent.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SanoHibiki

Look like farmboy or aristocrat or behaving like farmboy or aristocrat?

In any case, Clark by default is a tall, good-looking and well-build guy with black hair and blue eyes – just see comics. Practically every heroine is a supermodel-quality, every hero have athlete figure.

He behaves like farmboy, because he was raised by farmer's family, but in the same time he isn’t rural hike. He has manners, but also he is a modern guy. Not sure about “shy”; it can be part of “mild-mannered reporter”-persona, but it’s not his real personality.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By SaintWildcard
    This is what got me into Superman

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

A burly farm boy IMO

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Squalleon

This guy.
    The golden age Superman was always my favorite in terms of appearance. That's why I loved the Rags Morales version and the Batman: TBATB one.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By buttersdaman000

CLARK KENT, at least my perfect version of him, should look like an uncomfortable, socially awkward, nerdy, mess of a person with subtle hidden good looks and charm that made 90's movie jocks fall for the ugly-ducklings (ex. She's All That). While he should be physically imposing, around 6'3"-6'4" and decently big, his social attitude should be so off-putting that you never notice the power of his build. His glasses should always be just a little bit off, his hair always a mess, his clothes always a little too big, his speech should stutter and quaver just enough, and, of course, he should be a little clumsy. Just switch the shy, quiet but pretty girl with the socially challenged Clark Kent, and the kind hearted jock with the feisty Lois Lane, and voila! People should have that "How did he get her?!" look every time Lois and Clark are out together. One of my main gripes with his real-life portrayals, besides Reeve, is that Clark Kent should be rolling in women given his looks, and that simply isn't true.....

SUPERMAN, on the other hand, should look like a golden sun god. I'm not saying he has to be the best looking man on earth, but he should definitely have an attractive face. All the actors who portrayed Superman like Welling and Cavil, are perfect as Superman. That face, however, will simultaneously give off an air of generosity, openness, power, authority, and so on. His posture will only accentuate the authoritative and powerful look his face gives off, giving him a truly imposing look. But, like I said above, there is also the generosity and kindness he exudes. So, he is approachable at the same time he is imposing. He should also have that million dollar smile and charm that makes everybody love him. Oh, and I always liked it when Superman hovered instead of walked.

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captaintightpants12: then that movie better be damn good in spite of Daily Planet Clark. If Lex meets Superman and Clark and doesn't recognize them without an explanation given, I'll walk out of the theater.

CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w3bst3r: They still need to work on getting me to walk into the theater after Man of Steel.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was cool. Work boots, jeans, and a t-shirt!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

This was cool. Work boots, jeans, and a t-shirt!

Possibly the cheapest thing to cosplay in.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SaintWildcard

I just realized Im one of the top posters in the Superman section

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Gary Frank in a landslide megastomp.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: I change my answer. Francis Manapul draws my favorite Superman.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AllStarSuperman
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: ehhh I don't like how he draws Superman's face. And I don't think his Superman has a large enough build. Plus did you see Manapuls's unchained variant?

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@pperspectiveandreality: Superman doesnt need to be ripped though. I dont like him looking like this:

I also hate how he isnt smiling. Superman should be happy. That's why I like Gary Frank's "Christopher Reeve with muscles" Superman.

WiZManWeBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the classic superman is perfect,its very simple jus like his name,hes a man wit superpowers,hed a superman

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: I don't necessarily want him ripped just bigger. The cover for unchained was perfect for me....or even frank quitley's Superman has the build I think is ideal for Clark. Also I'm one of the few that doesn't care for Chris reeves' Superman.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SanoHibiki

Like how Daniels and Rocafort portrayed him. He is tall, with broad shoulders and pretty muscled, but not bodybuilder-type, with more compact and lean body frame.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daniels, Lee and Rocafort do the best superman

Avatar image for l3g3ndarypheonix
    L3g3ndaryPheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By L3g3ndaryPheonix

Rocafort's superman looks good

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I know he should look handsome like in the last movie.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.