Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Happy 20th Birthday, Superman: The Animated Series!

• 51 results
    modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

September 6th, 1996

No Caption Provided

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Missed this show. We really need another...

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By jumpstart55
    • lmao..Damn its been that long...Whew wee.
    • On topic: We need another got damn Superman Animated Tv Series, 20 flipping years is way too long..People have literally grown up and finished High School since this was on the air.
    Drocta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

20 years?! GTFO HERE

This was a really good version of Supes.

Anna_Karenina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I can't believe that show is 20 years old. It was so good.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Well that makes me feel old

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zaied

Great show that got me into Superman. It probably doesn't get enough credit for being the DCAU's main building block.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Tfw the series was made 7 days before I was born.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This along with watching the first 2 Superman films are what got me into all this. Not just Superman but superheroes in general.

Never gonna a forget. Always will hold a special place.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By UltimateSMfan

Ahhhh The cartoon that introduced me to Superman! remember watching the promos for this on tv and it made me star-y eyed for the red,blue and yellow.

Was big on batman before this, was my absolute favourite but wow did this change things.

20 years! So long ago!!

My love for Superman still going strong and all my family and friends know it :)

blackagar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

e_e how young was I when I watched this lol.....did they play reruns that long after? It's older than me by a month!

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeremy1989

You know what's missing? Another Superman animated series. Seriously, he'd earned it.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jumpstart55

@saintwildcard said:
    @jumpstart55 said:
    • On topic: We need another got damn Superman Animated Tv Series, 20 flipping years is way too long..People have literally grown up and finished High School since this was on the air.

I hope no one does... because I wanna do it. Majoring in writing in hopes that I become a script writer one day and maybe I'll get a chance to create it. But if someone else has to do it, I got one word for them... Avatar. They should watch that show, cus to me, that was the Best Superman animated series much like The Incredibles was the Best Fantastic Four movie.

• Avatar: The Last Airbender? I get where you coming from with the Messianic Archetype and The Last of His Kind trope..
    • But do explain a bit more?
    KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

#18  Edited By KrleAvenger

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

This was my childhood introduction to Superman, what a good show. Looking back on it only lends fond memories, that was a great way to introduce Superman to new fans. Really good quality cartoon.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jumpstart55

@saintwildcard said:
    @jumpstart55 said:
    @saintwildcard said:
    @jumpstart55 said:

I hope no one does... because I wanna do it. Majoring in writing in hopes that I become a script writer one day and maybe I'll get a chance to create it. But if someone else has to do it, I got one word for them... Avatar. They should watch that show, cus to me, that was the Best Superman animated series much like The Incredibles was the Best Fantastic Four movie.

• Avatar: The Last Airbender? I get where you coming from with the Messianic Archetype and The Last of His Kind trope..
    • But do explain a bit more?

Aang is very much a young Clark. Fun loving kid who is good and is sometimes shown to be afraid of his own power (The whole Firebending thing). He even has a Deux Machina at the end to avoid having to kill..... okay, that's a joke.

Katara, the love interest who eventually falls of Aang. Both strong and independent.

And Sokka, the comedic relief sidekick/friend.

IMO, the bases for how to do an epic Superhero show is all there. A tight three seasons with great story and epic action. YOu mix Grant's run with Avatar's structure, and you'll have the best Superhero animated series yet. Not as cartoony as Teen Titans but not as serious as Young Justice, somewhere inbetween.

So your idea for a Superman show would focus on a young kid clark(12-13ish)? IDK i,m not liking that idea..

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ummm, no. It would start with Clark barely getting to the city and adjusting (make this an actual point since TAS didn't, and make it fun). I'm saying take what Grant did which was start him out in his T-Shirt years, and over the span of three seasons show him grow and become better each season. I wrote a map laying out what I'd do with it. But without giving to much away, Each season will have a theme and end with a giant battle that is built up over the span of the season.

Ok cool, i like the whole premise..But how old are we talking?..I honestly forgot how old he was in the first issues of the New 52 run.

Avatar image for sistergrimm2099
    SisterGrimm2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#25  Edited By SisterGrimm2099

i hate superman

No Caption Provided
    jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jumpstart55

@saintwildcard said:
    @jumpstart55 said:
    @saintwildcard said:

Ummm, no. It would start with Clark barely getting to the city and adjusting (make this an actual point since TAS didn't, and make it fun). I'm saying take what Grant did which was start him out in his T-Shirt years, and over the span of three seasons show him grow and become better each season. I wrote a map laying out what I'd do with it. But without giving to much away, Each season will have a theme and end with a giant battle that is built up over the span of the season.

Ok cool, i like the whole premise..But how old are we talking?..I honestly forgot how old he was in the first issues of the New 52 run.

Early 20's. One thing I would change from Grant's run is how he handled Lois and Jimmy. Well... mostly JImmy. I'd make Jimmy the guy that shows Clark the ropes and becomes Clark's best friend, as opposed to some weird Senpai relationship. Make him more integral to the story and play up the fact that Clark is a City Mouse coming to the big city.

Ah i see..You would use the country mouse in the big city trope, while in the first season, And have Jimmy be his tour guide/ best friend..I like that very much..What about Zod? Would he fill the role of like Firelord Ozai(As the main villain of the show) where all events and progress is shaped around his demise..Or would you just focus one season around him like how DBZ did so for Vegeta in the Saiyan Saga.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumpstart55 said:

Ah i see..You would use the country mouse in the big city trope, while in the first season, And have Jimmy be his tour guide/ best friend..I like that very much..What about Zod? Would he fill the role of like Firelord Ozai(As the main villain of the show) where all events and progress is shaped around his demise..Or would you just focus one season around him like how DBZ did so for Vegeta in the Saiyan Saga.

Actually, I would go the MoS Zod route. Which is make him a Kryptonian Patriot who is beloved by his people, who becomes the bad guy due to circumstances I don't want to reveal. It would also be tied in to how I introduce an other certain character. In the Map, Zod is a mid Season 2 villain. Each season has a big bad that is built up to. Last one being Darkseid.

How many seasons?

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumpstart55 said:

How many seasons?

3 seasons with hopefully 16-24 episodes each.

Oh so there would only be three big bads? Interesting.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jumpstart55

@saintwildcard said:
    @jumpstart55 said:
    @saintwildcard said:
    @jumpstart55 said:

How many seasons?

3 seasons with hopefully 16-24 episodes each.

Oh so there would only be three big bads? Interesting.

Hmmm, the way you phrased that sounds like you think there will only be 3 villains? The villains are hinted at to be coming throughout the season but he will still fight bad guys in each episode. Epic season finales is what the big bads are for. Mr. Mxy is something I can give you since it's more about how the character should be used in general. Mr. Mxy will be a TV show host personality (who will make 4th Wall breaking jokes) type who makes Superman have to complete tasks in order to get him to leave. It won't be about trying to get Mr. Mxy to say his name backwards. This character is the excuse to do anything with Superman, and in the original series (while a ffunny episode), the way they used him was very tame.

• Nah i got it..You will run the villain of the week format each episode but have the entire season focus around a main villain.
    • And you will have Mister Mxyzptlk act as the shows host/Narrator..By being the first person omniscient narrator who's actually a chrachter himself.
    • Very cool..I totally dig your idea for a Superman tv series.
    jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumpstart55 said:

Nah i got it..You will run the villain of the week format each episode but have the entire season focus around a main villain.

And you will have Mister Mxyzptlk act as the shows host/Narrator..By being the first person omniscient narrator who's actually a chrachter himself.

Very cool..I totally dig your idea for a Superman tv series.

Yes

Nah, I mean like Mr. Mxy will appear once a season and give Superman a new challenge. Like maybe for one challange, Superman will have to solve a mystery in a Scooby Doo parody, or be a Knight with jimmy as his squire, on their way to take save a princess. This will be how Superman will get Mr. Mxy to go away instead of having to have Mr. Mxy say his name backwards. And it's all done for the amusement of the 5th dimension cus Mr. Mxy is like a game show host. Voiced by Bruce Campbell (dream casting). That being said, Mr. Mxy narrating the first episode would be cool..... if it's voiced by Bruce Campbell

Danke.... now I'll jsut sit here till WB gives me a call.

• .Ok i see..That sounds even better.
    • lmao..I,m sure you'll get your shot.
    Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I miss the DCAU.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmmm....eh

Only real Superman fans are allowed in here FOH

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this series

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Yeah and 3262 of those posts are either trolling or useless comments like the one I'm responding to.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Dude, hurry up with your other work and give me that series. I'm jumping up and down just thinking about it! But some questions. Are you going to eschew plot devices like body-swaps, memory loss, and mind control? I really hate stuff like that. It's beyond irritating. Also, are you going to explore the other avenues of Superman's vulnerabilities like red sun radiation, magic, his lead impairment, and his solar energy exhaustion and avoid the Kryptonite dependency trap? Also, what other supporting characters will you use besides the obvious ones like Jimmy and Lois?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@saintwildcard: Yeah and 3262 of those posts are either trolling or useless comments like the one I'm responding to.

Says the guy who's not even in the top 10. You're just jealous of my post count and my dedication to Superman.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Dude, hurry up with your other work and give me that series. I'm jumping up and down just thinking about it! But some questions. Are you going to eschew plot devices like body-swaps, memory loss, and mind control? I really hate stuff like that. It's beyond irritating. Also, are you going to explore the other avenues of Superman's vulnerabilities like red sun radiation, magic, his lead impairment, and his solar energy exhaustion and avoid the Kryptonite dependency trap? Also, what other supporting characters will you use besides the obvious ones like Jimmy and Lois?

I've read his outline for the series and it's not something you'll want, trust me.

@kidchipotle said:

Says the guy who's not even in the top 10. You're just jealous of my post count and my dedication to Superman.

Yeah, because being on a top 10 comment board REALLY shows who the real fans are. I guess I'll just have to do what you did and spam the forums with nonsense. That'll make me a "REAL" fan!!!

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ZariusII

Were we supposed to be talking about Superman: TAS?

I'm steer this ship back on course. I was not so keen on the show when it started, but it definitely got better over time, it's Lana was one of the better depictions of the character and her relationship with Clark, and World's Finest is still the best Batman/Superman "movie" put to screen.

PS: Really enjoyed reading that pitch for a series@saintwildcard

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By comicace3

Loved this series. One of the few shows that got me into comics.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

PS: Really enjoyed reading that pitch for a series@saintwildcard

Heh, even though it's based on New 52 Superman and starts out in his T-Shirt years?

Adaptation is a key aspect of life, as well as in business.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ScouterV

Honestly, this is probably my third favorite DCAU Solo series. I loved seeing all the heroes show up in Metropolis to help and I thought it had some amazing stories and renditions of characters that were fun. And heck, Livewire was actually cool here.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.