Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18936 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr. on Superman confirmed.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/04/scoop-the-new-look-for-john-romita-jrs-superman-and-confirmation-that-geoff-johns-will-be-writing-it/

In today's DC all Access Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr. will confim that they will be writing Superman.
    Here is a sample of Romita's art:superman

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

...Ok the lines really need to go.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_ said:

...Ok the lines really need to go.

You no like Romitas hatching??? lol.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that look awesome

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If only Rocafort stayed on this title… Johns and Rocafort on Superman title – dream come true (wishful thinking).

So, YAY for Johns, MEH for Romita Jr.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Woot! And the lines are Jim Lee's working, you can't do away with them because that's the mandate.

Pak and Johns writing Superman is going to be SWEET! Add to the fact that Soule's Superman/Wonder Woman is kicking @$$ and 2014 will be the year of the scout.

Still wish Rocafort stayed though, don't know why he's tied to Lobdell. When does the new creative start working the project?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woot! And the lines are Jim Lee's working, you can't do away with them because that's the mandate.

Pak and Johns writing Superman is going to be SWEET! Add to the fact that Soule's Superman/Wonder Woman is kicking @$$ and 2014 will be the year of the scout.

Still wish Rocafort stayed though, don't know why he's tied to Lobdell. When does the new creative start working the project?

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By lifeboy

meh...

Its a lateral move from my perspective. I was enjoying mr lobdell on this comic and I was definately enjoying all the guest artists the last 5 months.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Saren

Now all that remains is for someone to kick Nocenti off Catwoman.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@saren said:

Now all that remains is for someone to kick Nocenti off Catwoman.

Now that Lobdell is free...

BB

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thank goodness. I'll take any artist to get Lobdell off. And who knows? Maybe a new creative art style is exactly what the book needs.

Aeron_Glyndwr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aeron_Glyndwr
    kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

This makes me pretty happy. I've really enjoyed Johns' Superman stuff in the past, and while it seems to be an unpopular opinion (I really don't know why) I'm a fan of JRJR's as well.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

This is amazing news!And also the sample art from Romita Jr.'s take on Supes looks pretty good.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Gah I'm still uncertain about this news. As I thought, Romita Jr's art style just isn't up to scratch with what Superman looks like at all. That face is far too bland and the hairstyle is all wrong for Superman. Plus those lines make Jim Lee's lines look subtle in comparison. And whilst Johns has written some great Superman stories in the past, his New 52 characterisation of Superman is totally wrong what with Superman being either too quiet and angsty or too angry and aggressive. Not what Superman should act like at all.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Not a fan of Romita's style for people, especially their faces, being very rigid with a lot of straight lines as opposed to natural curves. I was pretty happy when he left Captain America. He does do action scenes very well.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

I think I may be dropping Superman for a while now

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@aeron_glyndwr said:

@billy_batson: don't even insinuate that as a possibility O_O

All hail based god Lobdell.

BB

at least Catwoman would get some awesome feats for the battle boards if he took over.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lvenger

@billy_batson said:

@aeron_glyndwr said:

BB

at least Catwoman would get some awesome feats for the battle boards if he took over.

Would you be happy if he took over Aquaman then given all the awesome feats Arthur would get? :P

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@fallschirmjager said:

@billy_batson said:

@aeron_glyndwr said:

BB

Would you be happy if he took over Aquaman then given all the awesome feats Arthur would get? :P

...maybe a side series? no feats are worth bad stories

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By SOG7dc

I mean of all the artist that have worked on Adventures of Superman.....instead they go with John Romita JR?????? I can't stand his art.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@fallschirmjager said:

@billy_batson said:

@aeron_glyndwr said:

BB

...maybe a side series? no feats are worth bad stories

Hehehe as I guessed, you don't want Aquaman's good streak being ruined :P In all seriousness, if Aquaman does suddenly go through a bad turn, what would happen to him in terms of status and popularity?

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Hard to say. I think the new series thus far has (at least in the comic community) helped repair his image. I don't think it would be ruined if he went through a bad run. Every character has at some point.

I'm still giddy that we are getting two ongoings with Aquaman as the feature character. Crazyness.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

I can dig it. As for the art, looks better than his first go around with the character :P

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can dig it. As for the art, looks better than his first go around with the character :P

When was Romita Jr first involved with doing art for a Superman title? I can't recall any of his work outside of Marvel which isn't surprising given that his father worked there for so long.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Deranged Midget

@lvenger said:

@deranged_midget said:

When was Romita Jr first involved with doing art for a Superman title? I can't recall any of his work outside of Marvel which isn't surprising given that his father worked there for so long.

Crossover bruh. I'd post the photo but school internet is hilariously slow :(

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@deranged_midget said:

Hmm I'm searching for the scan myself but all I'm finding is a cover to an edition of DC/Marvel Crossover classic. Is that what you mean?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@lvenger said:

@deranged_midget said:

@lvenger said:

@deranged_midget said:

Hmm I'm searching for the scan myself but all I'm finding is a cover to an edition of DC/Marvel Crossover classic. Is that what you mean?

please post when you can.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Stop confusing Superman year 1 with Superman in general in the N52.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Basically that yeah. I'd say this new image, despite only being conceptual, is arguably some of his best work.

No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Basically that yeah. I'd say this new image, despite only being conceptual, is arguably some of his best work.

No Caption Provided

If this is Johns' best work mate, I'd say I find it hugely underwhelming all things considered. The lines are worse than Jim Lee's and the facial proportions seem to make Liefield's faces look normal in comparison. Well not really but the faces aren't exactly well drawn IMO.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

If this is Johns' best work mate, I'd say I find it hugely underwhelming all things considered. The lines are worse than Jim Lee's and the facial proportions seem to make Liefield's faces look normal in comparison. Well not really but the faces aren't exactly well drawn IMO.

I'm not sure if you're ragging on the image I posted or the new one that was shown to promote the new creative team lol. Personally, I think's a little unnecessary to compare Romita to Jim Lee in any fashion. We all know they boast completely different styles and this isn't anything new. Honestly though, I'm a fan of his work, especially on Spider-Man. Obviously, I find it a little bit weird in events like World War Hulk or AvX, but it worked pretty well in Captain America I think. I'm definitely interested to see if Romita can stay consistent with the above image which looks cleaner than some of his past work!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TDK_1997

@lvenger said:

@deranged_midget said:

@lvenger said:

No Caption Provided

What do you mean exactly?I get that every character's head looks a little bit like a square with hair,eyes,mouth and etc. but it ain't that bad.The lines and the inks compensate a little.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lvenger

@tdk_1997: Look at how Superman's mouth is drawn. It's as if it's slanting off the page or if Romita made a mistake drawing the line for his mouth. And his Silver Surfer pose isn't sleek at all, more clunky and stiff IMO.

@lvenger said:

I'm not sure if you're ragging on the image I posted or the new one that was shown to promote the new creative team lol. Personally, I think's a little unnecessary to compare Romita to Jim Lee in any fashion. We all know they boast completely different styles and this isn't anything new. Honestly though, I'm a fan of his work, especially on Spider-Man. Obviously, I find it a little bit weird in events like World War Hulk or AvX, but it worked pretty well in Captain America I think. I'm definitely interested to see if Romita can stay consistent with the above image which looks cleaner than some of his past work!

The one you posted lol. And I'm also a fan of his Spider-Man work, that was his best stuff IMO but recently, he's lost what gave him a great artistic touch. Messy pencils, awkward panel layouts and really unclear facial expressions drag his artwork down a huge degree. Romita Jr is far from the artist he used to be for me.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

The one you posted lol. And I'm also a fan of his Spider-Man work, that was his best stuff IMO but recently, he's lost what gave him a great artistic touch. Messy pencils, awkward panel layouts and really unclear facial expressions drag his artwork down a huge degree. Romita Jr is far from the artist he used to be for me.

Every artist has a few odd projects. Lee is far from his best on Unchained and he wasn't too hot on Justice League either. Stegman's art became increasingly dirty on Scarlet. It could be an artist rushing their work or trying new things. As far as the new image goes, I think it looks to be some of his best work so far!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: Justice League was still pretty good IMO but yeah I can see where you're coming from with Unchained.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@deranged_midget: Justice League was still pretty good IMO but yeah I can see where you're coming from with Unchained.

Yeah, it was pretty good! Although, I thought he was a LOT better in Hush and For Tomorrow to use similar examples.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Yeah, it was pretty good! Although, I thought he was a LOT better in Hush and For Tomorrow to use similar examples.

Definitely agree with you there mate.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: The main problem with the New 52 Supes done by Romita JR is the hair. It's always the hair that is wrong.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Deranged Midget

@z3ro180 said:

@deranged_midget: The main problem with the New 52 Supes done by Romita JR is the hair. It's always the hair that is wrong.

HA! He's rocking that Post Return style minus the mullet. :P

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Superman's mouth indeed seems a little bit odd,it seems like it is just too big and long while the Surfer's pose looks stiff but doesn't seem that bad.There have been worse poses he has drawn throughout the years and this is a good one compared to the worst.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Writing-wise, Superman fans have a lot to look forward to from April onwards-ish with Johns and Pak on both Supes main titles and Soule on SM/WW. It's looking bright...for now.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

@lvenger: Superman's mouth indeed seems a little bit odd,it seems like it is just too big and long while the Surfer's pose looks stiff but doesn't seem that bad.There have been worse poses he has drawn throughout the years and this is a good one compared to the worst.

But that's been the case with a lot of Romita Jr's latest work IMO. Poor proportions, skewed lines and messy layouts. Not exactly the qualities of a good artist IMO.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

That's cool !

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: When does Johns and Romits Jr take over the comic ?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@z3ro180 said:

@squalleon: When does Johns and Romits Jr take over the comic ?

Issue 32. It was mentioned by Lobdell in an interview he gave a week back.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.