Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Can we stop Calculating Superman's strength

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Can we please stop trying to calculate his Strength. I don't know about up you guys but its annoying going onto a thread and seeing a long ass post about Y=the force of superman pinky finger. If you read a superman comic with the soul purpose of trying to think of a way to make everything in the book realistic with useless math equations then you are reading the comic for the wrong reasons

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not only that but it's you know... potentially limitless. It's like asking what is an eighth of up to infinity. I quite agree.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@z3ro180: I think that different people find their entertainment in different ways. Some people think that's fun and they enjoy it. If it annoys you then don't gonto those threads. It's like this. My mom is trying to open a hookah bar in Illinois and she can't because of laws against having food and tobacco in the same building. People who don't smoke have literally made it illegal for people who do to I've a place to go and enjoy food and tobacco. It's one group saying "we don't like what they're doing so let's make them stop doing it"

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sog7dc said:

@z3ro180: I think that different people find their entertainment in different ways. Some people think that's fun and they enjoy it. If it annoys you then don't gonto those threads. It's like this. My mom is trying to open a hookah bar in Illinois and she can't because of laws against having food and tobacco in the same building. People who don't smoke have literally made it illegal for people who do to I've a place to go and enjoy food and tobacco. It's one group saying "we don't like what they're doing so let's make them stop doing it"

Rather they don't like what they are doing for a good reason.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

If you read a superman comic with the soul purpose of trying to think of a way to make everything in the book realistic with useless math equations then you are reading the comic for the wrong reasons

basically this.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By w0nd

@bzahine said:

Guys why do people compare Superman to Thor, why can't everybody understand, no matter how much Marvel upgrades that faggot he cannot compare to Thor, what is all this nerd shit I'm hearing about oh rune king this and rune king thor can do that, FUCK YOU. Superman was created to be the best

calm down lol they can both be upgraded to be stronger than each other, it's a back and fourth game...they are made up characters, if the writer decided to make thor the supreme god with limitless powers and he has ascended beyond time and space, there is nothing you could do to stop that, unless you write a fan fic or something....don't take it so personally

as for the threads, they don't really bother me, like someone else said, some people enjoy fun in different ways. Sure I see more than one thread but I just scroll past them, it really doesn't hinder me viewing topics that I want to see, so whatevs.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

Can we please stop trying to calculate his Strength. I don't know about up you guys but its annoying going onto a thread and seeing a long ass post about Y=the force of superman pinky finger. If you read a superman comic with the soul purpose of trying to think of a way to make everything in the book realistic with useless math equations then you are reading the comic for the wrong reasons

Ya, I don't much like that either.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't care if fans do it, if that's what they're into. What annoys me is when the creators do it. Making characters and wasting page space having Superman in a laboratory testing himself, like he's got some big ego.

"I bet I can lift even MORE, hot girl in the center of the Earth! Ha HA, watch me do so!" Wow, I really don't like Lobdell's run much haha.

batarang614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By batarang614

I find it annoying that people write posts about how other people shouldn't write certain posts? But, who cares?

batarang614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By batarang614

@farkam: if ur referring to tobacco and food, just because you don't like something doesn't mean everyone else should suffer for it. Freedom is a precious commodity, why limit it? The health concerns are obvious, we all know what we're getting into, so...I don't see the problem with getting together and having fun while doing it.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superman is most powerful

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Deranged Midget

I think it gets rather tedious when all people care about is the Superman's level of power.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Same with Hulk, etc.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't care if fans do it, if that's what they're into. What annoys me is when the creators do it. Making characters and wasting page space having Superman in a laboratory testing himself, like he's got some big ego.

"I bet I can lift even MORE, hot girl in the center of the Earth! Ha HA, watch me do so!" Wow, I really don't like Lobdell's run much haha.

Agree 100%. They're never consistent with it & aren't scientists so they have no concept of the scale. The things they should stick to (that math-fans can still play with) are just lifting big known objects (like a giant ship. A fan could look up the weight of that type of ship - maybe add commentary like "he looked like he was/wasn't struggling" etc. Quick & done).

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightsout said:

@kal_smahboi said:

Agree 100%. They're never consistent with it & aren't scientists so they have no concept of the scale. The things they should stick to (that math-fans can still play with) are just lifting big known objects (like a giant ship. A fan could look up the weight of that type of ship - maybe add commentary like "he looked like he was/wasn't struggling" etc. Quick & done).

Exactly. Comics are a visual medium. Don't tell me what he's done, just let him do it! Show me!

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Wow....ignorance is bliss that it's not even funny (not you OP,and I agree with your post).

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kal_smahboi:

i really enjoyed lobdells run....the guy before him was just awful. up until the thirteenth issue I was about to stop reading. and superman is my favorite character lol that's how bad he was.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SOG7dc

@lightsout said:

@kal_smahboi said:

I disagree. one of the reasons I like comics is because they are imaginary. I like what the writers do because they take terms that most people are familiar with like "light speed" and "supernova" and "white dwarf star" etc. to give the reader an idea of how powerful they intend the character to be then do whatever they want because they don't have to obey scientific laws. they create a world of fantasy where characters are millions of times faster than the speed of light and, in my opinion, it creates an element of wonder and mysticism that takes me to a place of thought "wow I wonder what its like to fly around the sun, to experience the vast emptiness of space, to punch a friggin moon in half!!!!.....anyways what im saying is that I like it because as scientific as they try to sound they still create a mythical universe of wonders and awe. I just love comics man lol

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I think that partially still fits in what I was describing (I didn't use an example of a ship as a limit on the scale to be used (though perhaps writers should better understand these scientific concepts before using them - to avoid hyperbole)). I was adding onto the first user who said he wants feats, not sterile lab tests with Superman benching or pushing a piston or anything.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightsout:

I like both. I like how he was in the lab benching earth in "superman" now in Superman Unchained" I want to see him get feats. like I said before I want unchained to be action action action

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@lightsout said:

@kal_smahboi said:

I disagree. one of the reasons I like comics is because they are imaginary. I like what the writers do because they take terms that most people are familiar with like "light speed" and "supernova" and "white dwarf star" etc. to give the reader an idea of how powerful they intend the character to be then do whatever they want because they don't have to obey scientific laws. they create a world of fantasy where characters are millions of times faster than the speed of light and, in my opinion, it creates an element of wonder and mysticism that takes me to a place of thought "wow I wonder what its like to fly around the sun, to experience the vast emptiness of space, to punch a friggin moon in half!!!!.....anyways what im saying is that I like it because as scientific as they try to sound they still create a mythical universe of wonders and awe. I just love comics man lol

Our exactly opposing viewpoints are starting to get really funny haha. The way I see it, light speed means nothing to you and me. We can't comprehend light speed except as a number, so what's the point of saying it? Same goes with the power released from a supernova and fourteen trillion dollars. You might as well say really really big. At a certain point, measurement becomes meaningless because it is beyond our comprehension. And maybe that's the point, that he's at a power beyond our comprehension, but then why break the laws of physics in the process of describing it? Can't we just leave it at really really big and not impossibly big?

@sog7dc said:

@kal_smahboi:

i really enjoyed lobdells run....the guy before him was just awful. up until the thirteenth issue I was about to stop reading. and superman is my favorite character lol that's how bad he was.

I can't stand the way he writes. He's all over the place with his prose, sometimes using the pretty Shakespearean way and sometimes using the "real life" conversational way. And he can't decide if Superman's a boyscout or a bada$$. Then, he came up with a possibly good story and stretched it across five months between three series. The only good issue of H'El on Earth (oh and btw, the title? please) was the one with Luthor in it, which barely showed the villain Lobdell created. I just really disagree, sorry haha. Lobdell might be a good writer, but I haven't seen it in Superman.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kal'smahboi

@sog7dc said:

@lightsout:

I like both. I like how he was in the lab benching earth in "superman" now in Superman Unchained" I want to see him get feats. like I said before I want unchained to be action action action

Sorry, I missed this one haha. I want lots of action, but I also hope Snyder gets really psychological with Supes. We haven't seen enough of that in the New 52, in my opinion.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@lightsout said:

@kal_smahboi said:

Our exactly opposing viewpoints are starting to get really funny haha. The way I see it, light speed means nothing to you and me. We can't comprehend light speed except as a number, so what's the point of saying it? Same goes with the power released from a supernova and fourteen trillion dollars. You might as well say really really big. At a certain point, measurement becomes meaningless because it is beyond our comprehension. And maybe that's the point, that he's at a power beyond our comprehension, but then why break the laws of physics in the process of describing it? Can't we just leave it at really really big and not impossibly big?

@sog7dc said:

@kal_smahboi:

I can't stand the way he writes. He's all over the place with his prose, sometimes using the pretty Shakespearean way and sometimes using the "real life" conversational way. And he can't decide if Superman's a boyscout or a bada$$. Then, he came up with a possibly good story and stretched it across five months between three series. The only good issue of H'El on Earth (oh and btw, the title? please) was the one with Luthor in it, which barely showed the villain Lobdell created. I just really disagree, sorry haha. Lobdell might be a good writer, but I haven't seen it in Superman.

lol well man im more than happy to agree to disagree. but I have enjoyed our debate. first sensible disagreement ive ever had on comic vine lol

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I have, too. Truly. Glad to find another good Superman fan :)

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SOG7dc

@sog7dc said:

@lightsout:

Sorry, I missed this one haha. I want lots of action, but I also hope Snyder gets really psychological with Supes. We haven't seen enough of that in the New 52, in my opinion.

agreed. I wish that Snyder and lee could just do the superman main title but im happy with the pairing regardless. Snyder is such a good writer we should get a great balance of action and story telling

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope that whole holding the planet for 5 days gets debunked or retcon in some way after Lobdell leaves.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is obviously a troll thread

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By z3ro180

@truemarvel: in what way is this a troll thread ? Please enlighten me with your oh so fantastic answer.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_ said:

I hope that whole holding the planet for 5 days gets debunked or retcon in some way after Lobdell leaves.

this. I really cant believe DC let him get away with that.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@eternal19: Why is that a bad thing ?

its stupid. I know people asked for someone to clarify superman's power level in the New 52, but I was expecting something like being able to lift the weight of mountains or skyscrapers. Whole planets is way to much. And it makes the character unnecessarily hard to write for future writers. And can turn off a lot of new readers who were expecting a more down to Earth Superman, who can believably be challenged without the use of kryptonite. Now Lobdell expects me to believe that their are a whole bunch of villians who can juggle planets around and i find that incredibly stupid. Crisis happened for a reason.

Believe me I want Superman to be powerful. But, I want it to be at a believable level and the level that Lobdell put him at is way to much. And the "he holds back" line is getting pretty old.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eternal19: I don't see it as stupid and the fact that superman has to holding adds to Supermans character

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@eternal19: I don't see it as stupid and the fact that superman has to holding adds to Supermans character

I dont see how him holding back adds to his character. All it does is give writers the excuse to job him to characters he should be able to beat without issue.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eternal19: You can't have an all powerful superman who does not hold back. If they did that they would have to explain how superman doesn't kill thousands of civilians with one punch

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Eternal19

@z3ro180 said:

@eternal19: You can't have an all powerful superman who does not hold back. If they did that they would have to explain how superman doesn't kill thousands of civilians with one punch

Im not saying that he shouldnt hold back he shouldnt have to go full power all the time. What im saying is that Superman holding back to the extent that he does, just makes the story hard to believe. And i cant help but realize that Superman could have ended the battle 20 minutes ago and saved more lives if he hadnt held back. Which is why I sat that the Holding back excuse is just an excuse for crappy writing

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eternal19: I've got a feeling by crappy writhing you are referring to Scott lobdell

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lightsout

@sandman_ said:

This. A million times this.

@eternal19Or, it's the only way to give him stories that aren't over in 30 seconds (given his max displayed levels). Every hero with abilities is operating well under their max most of the time. It's the only way actual stories can be built. Though, being afraid of harming bystanders (when his power is "fully unleashed") is a reasonable excuse for him holding back IMO.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Eternal19

@z3ro180: Im talking about Superman writers in general.

@sandman_ said:

This. A million times this.

@eternal19Or, it's the only way to give him stories that aren't over in 30 seconds (given his max displayed levels). Every hero with abilities is operating well under their max most of the time. It's the only way actual stories can be built. Though, being afraid of harming bystanders (when his power is "fully unleashed") is a reasonable excuse for him holding back IMO.

Like I said before. Superman shouldnt have to use full power all the time. But, that doesnt mean that he should hold back to the extent where it just prolongs the battle and endangers more lives in the process. It makes the story less believable and which is why Superman is always accused of CIS,PIS, and WIS because writers pump him up to pointless levels of power. And then show him getting his a** handed to him by weaker villians.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By z3ro180

@eternal19: Ok ill give that before lobdell the superman solo title had way to any writers starting and leavening the title.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.