Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Can Superman's heat vision hold of Omega Beams?

Darth_Wayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Darth_Wayne

Can Superman's heat vision hold of Omega Beams? I saw this scan from Adventures of Superman Vol 1 595, but have never read that issue so I was wondering if there were any context to how Supes was able to do this. Here's the scan.

No Caption Provided

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By UltimateSMfan

The display of the omega effect varies, in some displays Darkseid's omega beams have a sort of charge to them, when he unleashes the full effect of the omega beam there's almost nothing that can withstand them and he can do a lot with it eg. Destroy, teleport, manipulate energy etc.

But it then takes time to get back to full potency or he unleashes weaker beams which Superman's heat vision can stand up against. Energy against energy and all that.

Other times he just shoots beams that seem relatively weak but I think those are deliberate when he doesn't want to completely destroy his target.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good question and what UltimateSMfan says is pretty much on point I think, writers never really go into that much detail as to what the omega effect can do.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman in various versions and stories as been able to use his heat vision on the same level as Darkseid omega beams.

I guess it mostly depends on the writer and what he wants. If he wants Superman knockout he'll make them stronger than Superman HV, but if they wanted a real showdown then most of the times Superman HV is on the same level or stronger than the Omega beams.

In some comics we even got Superman HV initially being weaker and then on the rematch they're on the same level.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hold off? They shouldn't even interact with each other.

Superman's heat vision is solar energy focused through the infrared. It's straight heat.

Darkseid's beams are a manifestation of the Omega Sanction, a kind of quasi-divine energy derived from the Source. It can do anything from delivering concussive force, to erasing someone from existence, to vaporizing/eradicating their physical being, to teleporting them across space, to even casting them through time.

The two should be able to "clash" with each other about as much as sunlight and the wind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e497e3f11e30
    deactivated-5e497e3f11e30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont think heat vision should hold it off specially on more consistent terms. Superman basically dodges them circling in a loop or avoids them.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Omega beams are stronger than Superman's hv, however Superman managed in multiple occasions to momentarily stop or deflect the omega beams. For example in the image used in the first post we can see Superman and Darkseid clashing with equal force with their optic beams but in the very next page Darkseid overpowers Clark's hv.

Toratorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Justice League #50 Supes' eye lasers clash with amped Darkseid's beams. We don't see the aftermath tho.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Darkseid's Omega Beams should be able to overpower Superman's heat vision at the end of the day.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

Superman's heat vision is solar energy focused through the infrared. It's straight heat.

Darkseid's beams are a manifestation of the Omega Sanction, a kind of quasi-divine energy derived from the Source. It can do anything from delivering concussive force, to erasing someone from existence, to vaporizing/eradicating their physical being, to teleporting them across space, to even casting them through time.

The two should be able to "clash" with each other about as much as sunlight and the wind.

But nonetheless they do interact with each other.

Also sunlight and wind, not the best example. Sunlight or simple light can interact with matter. The most simple example being the solar sails propulsion system that's been so studied by NASA.

Also we don't exactly know how and why his powers heat vision works as it does.

Yes the most accepted theory is that his HV is Superman simply releasing his stored energy, through his eyes and within the infrared frequency. But by that same logic then why are people able to see those same beams? They should be invisible all of the time.

Unless of course it isn't focused on the infrared or at least not entirely.

Either way we got tons of examples of their eye beams clashing. Best example was when Superman faced off against Darkseid to get John Irons back. It was a gloves off battle and neither was holding back. And still Superman won fair and square.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

But nonetheless they do interact with each other.

Also sunlight and wind, not the best example. Sunlight or simple light can interact with matter. The most simple example being the solar sails propulsion system that's been so studied by NASA.

Also we don't exactly know how and why his powers heat vision works as it does.

Yes the most accepted theory is that his HV is Superman simply releasing his stored energy, through his eyes and within the infrared frequency. But by that same logic then why are people able to see those same beams? They should be invisible all of the time.

Unless of course it isn't focused on the infrared or at least not entirely.

Either way we got tons of examples of their eye beams clashing. Best example was when Superman faced off against Darkseid to get John Irons back. It was a gloves off battle and neither was holding back. And still Superman won fair and square.

I'm aware they interact. I'd seen it in the comics before, and the scans are right in the OP. What I stated regarded the "should" aspect of the matter.

And don't be stringent, you knew exactly the point I was making. In the conventional sense, the two do not clash, in the sense of one force competing or conflicting with the other (ie, a rock hitting a tree). This has nothing to do with the more intricate interactions that may occur between the waves/particles of light with matter, since that is far more complex an issue than warranted to make the point. When someone says "there's too much cold" or something to that effect, nobody makes an issue that it might be more technical to say "there's too little heat".

Actually, there was a publication called "The Science of Superman", which was called the official guide to how Superman's powers worked, and highlighted that his powers were released solar energies via the infrared. And you're right, they should be invisible all the time, instead of just when they are "low powered". Now, that book was released in, I think, the early 2000s, so that obviously wouldn't necessarily apply to New 52 Superman, but there you go - best I got.

I wouldn't say there were "tons" of examples, but there are a few. I never disputed what has happened already, just what should have happened, in my own opinion.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor:

But that's just the problem, in comics it doesn't matter what should be, but what is.

For years now I've been pointing out that even Superman powers should be far more extensive. Even the one's we see him use the most, he should be able to do a lot more with them. Even the weaknesses in his powers, like his X-Ray vision not being able to see through lead, the red sunlight almost instant depowerment, that and much more don't make any sense whatsoever. But they are what they are nonetheless.

Yes Darkseid Omega beams should be more powerful or at least effective, seeing that by all accounts it's a extradimensional form of energy. And as such the interaction between heat vision and the Omega beams shouldn't be exactly as it's depicted.

That's the problem with comics and knowledge. The more one has the less things make sense. Especially if you don't start drawing a line.

By your own words you could also say that kryptonian solar battery shtick also doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The math simply doesn't add up. Not as it's explained. But it works in comics because well, they're comics. In the real world even if you had kryptonian physiology you'd never get those powers from sunlight alone. Because there's a bunch of rules DC Comics breaks in order to make it work.

Just don't worry so much about it. Go with the flow. It's easier that way.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Darth_Wayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: In which scan? And really only mention that now? Lol.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_wayne: In adventures of Superman 595 (Our Worlds at War) Superman came while amped by Kismet, who previously lost her memories and was inside of a body of a regular woman which constricted her powers to electro magnetism. Prior to this battle Kismet gave her life to amp Superman.(though i mispresented it when i said she is like eternity, she was more like a goddess of fate)

Darth_Wayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: Is that the first picture or the second one?

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_wayne: Uhm, there is only one picture in your OP. But Prior to the amp Superman was never able to withstand OB, Since he got it he had the ability to withstand Omega Beams in Pre 52 continuity. It is a common mistake for people to think that he can't be erased due to his importance to the Source. That conclusions stems from "Superman: Dark Side" which is an Elseworld story.

Darth_Wayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_wayne: Superman vs Darkseid Apokolips now. Direct continuation of Our Worlds At War storyline.

Darth_Wayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: Any amps or context? Also why does Superman's heat vision look different?

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

Superman fans and experts answered that question.

DannyDared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed861cc7ee
    deactivated-62aed861cc7ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has countered Omega beams once as far as I know. A feat he shouldn't be able to do.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.