Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Bad Arguments to why Superman can't have a GOOD game

DRUDOX19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DRUDOX19

1. Is Superman OP? Really?

I find this argument very odd because Rocksteady's Batman was not COMIC BOOK Batman. It was the spirit of the comics so to speak but it was still their version of the character they just stayed close to the source material. To preference my point, why is this NOT applied to Superman? It's has if the version of Superman people think we will play has the Silver Age Version or the All-Star Superman version? Of course, if RS is doing Superman it will be their interpretation of the character so he will be pretty depowered because he is enter into a different medium which always happens when a character from the comics gets adapted. Plus when I play Arkham Knight do I ever think to myself, hmm Batman should have drones ( like Brother Eye) or Batman doesn't use EVERY SINGLE GADGET in his arsenal. Again they depowered Batman for their game plain and simple, its funny people say Superman would be boring yet forget the very fact that comic book Batman is ridiculous and RS didn't use that version at all before it would be also boring. If this was the world's greatest detective batman for REAL then Arkham Knight would be over in 30 minutes. This applies to any character, not just Superman.

2. Enemies

Apparently superman won't work because he can destroy regular thugs? This is, of course, coming from someone you can tell knows nothing about Superman's universe or the nooks and crannies of how his universe works. First off why the hell would Superman fight regular thugs like Batman? Are people forgetting where not writing Batman with superman's powers were writing Clark Kent/ Superman/ Kal-El? Superman fights Meta-Humans ( like Poison Ivy in the Arkham games) on a daily basis from his rogues gallery. Plus the US military is pretty paranoid of him too or are we forgetting General Sam Lane? In Unchained, he makes those Black Hole guns ( Gravity gun) take him out. Plus you have Cadmus Labs, S.T.A.R Labs and Mad Scientist. Also, a big difference with Superman's character is that he saves people in very unique and interesting ways like falling plane, burning building or natural disasters or his enemies causing damage.

3. It will be boring after the main story?

Again I played Arkham Games all in 100% completion and at that point, I just look for easter eggs and beat up some thugs after that it gets super-boring till I restart the story again.That point just sounds REALLY and I mean REALLY stupid.

4. Oh and this crowned jewel

"But superman is the boy scout(something Batman is NOT). He would be presumably be going around helping people throughout an open world. If all he did was fight the biggest villains and the fucking military, please explain what the hell the point of a massive OPEN WORLD GAME is! That's why I said a LEVEL BASED game would work."

So you mean Superman GTA I see? Also what the hell is Batman doing? Yeah, Batman isn't a boy scout per say but seriously your acting like Batman with this statement is a GTA character like he is running around in the Batmobile killing people. Also sorry but we have a game that has high-speed open world transportation it's called Just Cause 3. I make this point cause the same individual attempts to say this:

"They could make a more linear, level based game work, but an open world game would get incredibly boring outside of the main villain. It would have to be an insanely huge world to do any sort of justice(and fun-ness) to his flying/leaping seeing as how he doesnt exactly glide at 5 mph. And like I said previously, the non main story interactions would probably get boring since it would be like playing with an invincibilty cheat."

Really? Just like the Arkham Games after you beat them? Yeah, your main point?

Again maybe it's me but the arguments I have seen on why people think Superman is difficult is rather horrible and make no sense and this is coming from a fan of both Superman and Batman. It seems very bizarre and shows in the internet people lack imagination sometimes. Man the obsession in the gaming industry of realism and grittiness just shows the lack of variety my god, that rant is for another day.

nightwing817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never understood the arguments made against Superman either. Batman is just as OP in the comics, but he's severely de powered in the Arkham games. He can't even dodge bullets! And the whole "who is he gonna fight against?" argument that people make is absolutely ridiculous and close minded. He never fights regular thugs, he's always going up against meta-humans.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman vs the Lantern Corps.

Darkseid has somehow taken control of the powers of the entire emotional spectrum, and given each of his higher servants warped versions of the Rings. Superman's first target is fighting his way through Cyborg's Warworld for tracking and transport, and ending with a battle between Darkseid and Superman that winds up turning Warworld into a giant wreck. Big boss fights with Apokalypse minions with rings, like Granny Goodness with 'Love' and Kalibak with 'Fear'.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

A lot of people just like to give Superman crap no matter what. I just try to ignore it.

@tyger said:

Superman vs the Lantern Corps.

Darkseid has somehow taken control of the powers of the entire emotional spectrum, and given each of his higher servants warped versions of the Rings. Superman's first target is fighting his way through Cyborg's Warworld for tracking and transport, and ending with a battle between Darkseid and Superman that winds up turning Warworld into a giant wreck. Big boss fights with Apokalypse minions with rings, like Granny Goodness with 'Love' and Kalibak with 'Fear'.

Damn, this sounds awesome. I'd buy it. Btw, GL Corps need their own game at somepoint too...

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A game could work, but it has to be made by talented and devoted people with consultants of how Supes can be

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone remember Superman: Shadow of Apokolips? That game was OK, and I could actually play it without getting too bored. Based off DCAU Superman, but the weapons hurt because thy were from Apokolips.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

A game could work as well for Superman as it can for Batman, all you have to do is present him with credible threats, an interesting story and enough to do if you are making an open world game.

Like, imagine if Superman woke up one day and noticed something was a little off before being called out to an emergency and the main plot actually made him weaker as the game went on. Like if someone like Darksied or Mongul were gradually turning the sun red. If Darkseid, the missions could end up with the weakened Superman having to face off against Kalibak before setting things right with the Sun and have the final showdown with Darkseid in a proper Superman-fashion.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drudox19: IMO nobody would buy a Superman game, it would be a big flop. There are very few superheroes suitable for a game adaptation: Batman (of course), Spiderman (Do you remember "Spiderman 2"? it was awesome!) and maybe the X-Men (it would be really cool a game where you can create your own mutant). I don't think the general gamers would be interested in a game about a classic character like Superman, or Flash, or Green Lantern.

Denko069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see Lego Justice League since we have Lego Marvel Superheroes :D

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By BappyRonChantin

I doubt it can be done without making it linear and a different version of Superman from the comics in terms of power. It will also need strong and powerful villains matching Supes meaning, no human opponents or fodders e.g militaries or common thugs.

Avatar image for precrisisbardock
    PreCrisisBardock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman has the open combat stuff and sneaking predator stuff. I couldn't see anything tactical Happening with a Superman Game, just like a hack n slash

DRUDOX19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@precrisisbardock: Agreed Superman is a sci fi action hero he is not some kind strategist like Batman but he knows tactics and if he only punched stuff his career has a protector of earth would be rather limited.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zaied

That's because people continue to think of a Superman game in the same vein as if you were making a Batman game. They're two completely different characters.

The biggest challenges for a Superman game are the control scheme, and the enemies he'd be going up against. He can't be overpowered if those enemies are properly scaled to his level, or if Metropolis has a health bar (like Superman Returns).

Avatar image for precrisisbardock
    PreCrisisBardock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PreCrisisBardock

@drudox19: Tactics aren't s big Superman deal. A Superman game would be like the Spider-Man games, real fun for a one time play but not really a blockbuster like Batman.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@precrisisbardock: Spiderman 2 was pretty damn good, but I don't think a GTA style game would work with Superman. This is my idea: what about a Superman game enterely based on space? this is the plot: Superman have to travel in Space to find informations about Krypton. I enjoyed very much the space travels in the Kingdom Hearts saga. It would be really cool to pilot a spaceship and change its skin with bonus points, like the Gummi-Ship ^_^. In this way Superman could meet characters like Darkseid, the New Gods, Maxima, Brainiac, H'el, Mongul and Lobo!

A sort of "No Man's Sky" with Superman!

DRUDOX19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DRUDOX19

@moul: Not a bad idea actually, thing is people approach Superman, Flash ( yes I have even seen this) like they are making a Batman game. If anyhting RS or any other studio would have to go to the drawing board and says listen this is Batman and this is Superman.

zaied I agree man, this is very true that is the clear distinction between the two Superman saves people and prevents disasters . Superman IMO should be allowed to have his powers but people need to understand it's a video game they WILL restrict you. I would have the basic he can lift Cars and Trucks and only in quick time events he lifts heavy objects. Let it be natural I mean seriously people need to think why the hell would you want Superman to lift buildings? Some of the detractors make idiotic arguments like this and I shake my head like seriously?

zaied

DRUDOX19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moul: I disagree, everyone thought Arkham Asylum was going to be complete garbage well it changed a lot of things did it? For me Superman can sell very well cause he is brand recognition all over the world not just the North American market. Japan alone would buy the HELL out of that game they love OP characters to begin with.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Superman returns could of been a great game if they would of actually given it a story and polished up the visuals.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drudox19:

To me the main problem to any Superman game will always be his powers, and nothing else. Every other reason is just a excuse.

Making a good Batman game was relatively easy because the dynamic of what Batman does, even in the comics can be easily reproduced in games. Even more know with current technology.

But Superman will always be a challenge. How to incorporate all those powers, and reproduce them currectly is the real challenge.

Not the villains, not creating a good story, but how to incorporate what Superman can do in a way that it really feels that we're controlling Superman.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drudox19:

To me the main problem to any Superman game will always be his powers, and nothing else. Every other reason is just a excuse.

Making a good Batman game was relatively easy because the dynamic of what Batman does, even in the comics can be easily reproduced in games. Even more know with current technology.

But Superman will always be a challenge. How to incorporate all those powers, and reproduce them currectly is the real challenge.

Not the villains, not creating a good story, but how to incorporate what Superman can do in a way that it really feels that we're controlling Superman.

If you are doing an open world 3D game, that's where Superman is hard to do. Doing a sidescrolling game like I have on my old Android device, and that game is actually enjoyable, not so much. It's just setting up a control system for how Superman is supposed to walk/run on ground, fly and maneuver in air, and setting him up to dodge/jump on ground and use basic powers such as heat vision, punching, etc, all in a 3D game. Controlling a character in such an environment is a lot challenging when it is in 3D. Not so much in sidescrolling. I hold my breath and hope that the best eventually comes out, where Superman is the star of the game, and not just another side character such as in Lego Batman.

DRUDOX19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diehard200904: Maybe it's just me but the Arkham Games were not Sandbox style games in a sense like Assasins Creed or GTA. They had a story and after beating the story well, we literally have NOTHING to do unless and here it has easter eggs to find. Superman well for me is powers aren't the problem it's that unlike Batman who does what he does and then the end. Superman would have to force a studio like RS or other studios a challenge them in NOT making a Batman clone. See Superman removes them from their comfort zone and allows actual INNOVATION very key word. I understand why Dini said listen I will not write Arkham Knight until specifically RS works on a character with actual powers like Flash and Superman.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drudox19:

...."op" right? Recently i've been watching again the youtube videos of the game "asura's wrath" and that's how you do a game about a god fighting other gods and the same can be done for Superman.

Avatar image for deactivated-631c3102b31d4
    deactivated-631c3102b31d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any superman game should have an extremely large open world and dark souls-ish difficulty levels. I'm talking high speed combat, intricate flight and pinpoint laser vision and stuff. And the environment should be open for interaction (by interaction we mean destruction) and all the graphics to make regular computer framerates splutter, cough and die. That's how you make a superman game: Super in every sense of the word.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DieHard200904

@drudox19 said:

@diehard200904: Maybe it's just me but the Arkham Games were not Sandbox style games in a sense like Assasins Creed or GTA. They had a story and after beating the story well, we literally have NOTHING to do unless and here it has easter eggs to find. Superman well for me is powers aren't the problem it's that unlike Batman who does what he does and then the end. Superman would have to force a studio like RS or other studios a challenge them in NOT making a Batman clone. See Superman removes them from their comfort zone and allows actual INNOVATION very key word. I understand why Dini said listen I will not write Arkham Knight until specifically RS works on a character with actual powers like Flash and Superman.

Arkham City had plenty of things to do after you beat the main story (Completing the side quests you didn't finish before the ending, collecting Riddler trophies, etc. I haven't tried Origins or Knight yet, so if either of those have the Open-World after the main story, I wouldn't know) A Superman game would work just fine if you had side missions, such as encountering people to help them out, some side villains (like Spider-Man 2), etc.

However, I agree with Dini, Warner Brothers really ought to do a superhero game, such as Flash, Superman, etc. Come to think of it, Flash sounds interesting too.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

QFT

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

@never_give_up: Quote for truth, I was trying to say I agreed with what the original poster said. All those complaints dont seem valid to me. Superman could have a good game.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know what it means I wrote it wrong lol. I wanted to know what you were quoting.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.