Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Action Comics #960 Discussion

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I'd say this issue is an actual improvement on the last one as it gives more time for a breather in between the action, offers some familiar character interactions between Superman & Wonder Woman along with a scene that will be undoubtedly pleasing to Superman/Lois fans but a sting on the nose to those still fond of the Superman/Wonder Woman romance. It is basically Jurgens using the characters as a mouthpiece to his own opinion even if written well.

Oh and Superman sets an awesome new speedblitz record with a feat on Doomsday as his super speed punching bag. He punches him 4,035 times in the space of three panels. That had me giddy with glee I must admit :)

Drocta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Laughing my ass off at the SM/WW shippers right now.

God, I love Jurgens.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A really fun issue this, there's good laughs to be had from New Kent ("Can I get a quote?"), Jon (his excitement at the battle causing him to create a minor earthquake, and "Why are you driving like a maniac mom?"), nice Clark/Lois moment, and Diana is probably at her warmest and most likeable I've found her to be in a long time under Jurgen's pen, and she's very accepting of Lois and Clark being together, saying it "feels true", thus seemingly putting to bed once and forever her thing for N52 Supes. I also loved that Jurgens brought up Doomsday's true origin, I need to dig out Hunter/Prey sometime.

Note to Jurgens, you don't have to put Oz in every bloody issue, especially if it's not going to add to the story or his mystery

Avatar image for deactivated-57dfb0dc0c43d
    deactivated-57dfb0dc0c43d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those super speed punches, 4035 times in 3 panels !!! It was fun reading that. Loved Superman - WW and Superman - Lois interactions as well.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I think the story needs to get moving.

And I am afraid we won't learn anything, since the Clark reveal is in another arc.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@lvenger said:

Oh and Superman sets an awesome new speedblitz record with a feat on Doomsday as his super speed punching bag. He punches him 4,035 times in the space of three panels. That had me giddy with glee I must admit :)

Man, if only a certain banned user was around to see this.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@life_without_progress: Context please...

The 4,035 punches were awesome. Lois & Clark, awesome. Diana & Lois friendship, awesome. Jon destroying living room because he got excited, awesome.

Yeah, this issue really benefitted from the breather.

Wonder if Jon is going to join Supes and Ww in the fight against Doomsday.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@thepreface: I think the user's name started with "Reality" & ended with "Warper".

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

He still might be, he created a new account just to try and troll me when I dared to blaspheme against his sacred Sentry.

I think the story needs to get moving.

And I am afraid we won't learn anything, since the Clark reveal is in another arc.

Probably not, I suspect this will be the bombastic action packed opener which will set some things up for the next several story arcs.

Harun_Kurnaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Harun_Kurnaz

Does anyone knew why they talking about Doomsday like this is the first time they saw him. Especially WW. She fougth with him like months in Doomed arc.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone knew why they talking about Doomsday like this is the first time they saw him. Especially WW. She fougth with him like months in Doomed arc.

They've never fought this Doomsday, which is the original.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lvenger
    @harun_kurnaz said:

This is the Pre Flashpoint Doomsday, New 52 Doomsday was destroyed by New 52 Superman.

Avatar image for beautifultemptress
    BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Great issue. Clark Kent, which was rescued by Wonder Woman, probably is New 52 Superman. He even wears clothes in which was in Batman / Superman Annual 2.

If Doomsday can sense kryptonians, why he sensed only Jon?

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harun_kurnaz: I guess WW was trying to ask what is this Doomsday capable of than the one she fought on her earth but it wasn't written like that.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@lvenger said:

@beautifultemptress: Jon was probably closer than Supergirl was I imagine.

Doesn't the new Supergirl comic take place in another planet?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@beautifultemptress: Jon was probably closer than Supergirl was I imagine.

Doesn't the new Supergirl comic take place in another planet?

Perhaps one point in the story takes place on another planet with what's going on with Cyborg Superman but Supergirl is still based on Earth. She's living in National City, going to school under a secret identity and working with the DEO.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I'd say this issue is an actual improvement on the last one as it gives more time for a breather in between the action, offers some familiar character interactions between Superman & Wonder Woman along with a scene that will be undoubtedly pleasing to Superman/Lois fans but a sting on the nose to those still fond of the Superman/Wonder Woman romance. It is basically Jurgens using the characters as a mouthpiece to his own opinion even if written well.

Thor fanboys aren't gonna like that.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the 4035 punches in 5 seconds at most were awesome.

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn good issue. His punches were hypersonic here, btw.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By tensor

I am glad they brought up the point about Doomsday again. I want this Superman back at full power. Good feat even when not at full power.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Great feats for Superman and you can always count on Jurgens to handle Superman and Lois well but the story seriously needs to move on now. It's dragging because Jurgens wants Doomsday to be a thing, stop, just stop Dan,he'll never be a thing.

LOL at the dump on Superman/Wonder Woman relationship.

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@tensor said:

I am glad they brought up the point about Doomsday again. I want this Superman back at full power. Good feat even when not at full power.

I dont count the panels . Count the first 3000 what could be in Seconds :) a trick he learned from the flash enough to make Doomsday bleed. Yet another speed feat for doomsday for catching his hands at that speed :)

This is going to hurt some feelings .

Now Tensor thank you for reminding me about that long ago argument with Ghostsavfoo. I will answer that when i have time. He probably thinks he has one up.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensor said:

Superman is back at full power now. I asked Jurgens in a tweet and he confirmed that Superman was back at full power, he had been weakened due to Vandal Savage's comet plan.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 4035 punches was an amazing and usable feat. And because it was DD nobody can try to lowball the punching power. Praise Jurgens!

This issue was great. The Lois Wonder Woman moment was great. Clark Kent is hilarious. And the Doomsday Scare was even better when they didn't make him do what we all thought he was gonna do. Now I'm even more ready for the next issue.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tensor

@lvenger: That is crazy because he was not in that comic at all it was new 52 Superman guess he was saying it affect him as well.If you have that tweet would like to see it. If it is ok with you.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Aside from some odd inconsistencies, I wonder if New 52 Diana is more powerful than Pre-Flashpoint Superman. She seemed to man-handle Doomsday away from Superman with ease, yet New 52 Doomsday flattened her.

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: It was just a simple throw. Still she was impressive the fact that she was able to catch up to Superman when he flew was showing her speed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was awesome.

TurtleXNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

=)

Knight101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read the entire storyline of this just recently and I love the feats and I love the fact Superman lasts longer than anyone against Doomsday (as it should be). The characterization was spot on, the story, the drama and the action was all amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.