Follow

Superman: War of the Supermen

Volume »

The story of the 100-minute war. A Free Comic Book Day zero issue leads into a weekly mini-series from DC running through May, 2010.

Review: War Of The Supermen #2

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided
    After the destruction of an entire planet in the first issue, could there possibly be any more shocks in store? You bet.

The Good

I honestly feel that the Superman books are underrated. I know people are digging them but I think there are some that are dismissing Superman because they feel he's too powerful and dull. War Of The Supermen shows that there's noting dull going on here. I loved how the issue picks up with Perry White ordering the staff at the Daily Planet to get on the story of the the destroyed planet. A confrontation between Lois and her sister is something I've been waiting for as well. 

It was great seeing the Superman Family on Earth, getting ready to make their move (although I didn't know Nightwing could actually smell 'pain'). Seeing the war progress from both General Lane's perspective and General Zod's was a nice touch. 

We get not one Holy $#!& moments but two. One deals with Lex Luthor and his future and the other...let's just say that last page is something.

The Bad

Boo hoo, poor Supergirl. I could have done without her blaming herself for everything that's happened. But she's been through a lot so I'll overlook it. The art felt like it slipped a tiny bit in a couple spots but nothing really to complain about.

The Verdict - 5/5

A teeny tiny bit of me wondered if the destruction in the last issue was a gimmick. It almost felt like it was borderline. The action continues here and I don't know how things are going to end. Obviously there will be some resolution since this is the second issue of a four issue mini-series. I feel almost like anything goes. It's a great feeling and I love that a Superman story can be so fun and exciting.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sora_thekey

Just because Tony said so... I will buy this XD

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Caligula

Awesome, this series has been great so far. all three issues of it.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jordanstine

Can someone PM me and spoil the ending for me?   
    Pretty please? 

Everyone's doing it over there at inferiorego's Red Hulk # 22 review. 
    I'd rather know now too.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By goldenkey
    @Jordanstine said:
    "

Can someone PM me and spoil the ending for me?   
    Pretty please? 

Everyone's doing it over there at inferiorego's Red Hulk # 22 review. 
    I'd rather know now too.

"

people suck.  I askef to someone to send me a PM on the red hulk and no one did.
    iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By iloverobots
    @sora_thekey said:

" Just because Tony said so... I will buy this XD "

If you've been reading any Superman in the last year this is a must (or wait for the whole thing to come to trade) because it's quality stuff. Four issues, 100 minutes of intense action (and in this issue we really see that it's actually 25 earth-minutes per issue) and I love it. The only think I would complain about is the art in some panels. Even though it looks great in general, the faces kinda look weird at times. 

I've been following this story line since New Krypton and I own every issue but I feel like whenever it comes in trades it's gonna be worth picking it up. This is a big chunk of Superman history that is worth being collected in a couple of hard covers. 

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Theodore

I can't wait to get this! The first issue rocked!

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sora_thekey
    @iloverobots: What if you haven't read anything Superman related in like... ever? Is it new reader friendly?
    E.I.S.A.M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By E.I.S.A.M.
    @sora_thekey: @sora_thekey said:
    " @iloverobots: What if you haven't read anything Superman related in like... ever? Is it new reader friendly? "
    NO! Do yourself a big heaping favor and pick up Geoff Johns run of Action Comics where this all starts. Superman: Last Son, then pick up his Brainiac ark, then The new Krypton stuff. I didn't read everything w/ new Krypton, but I did read world of new Krypton and Last stand of New Krypton and I'm okay.....  
    Y'know what, do yourself an even bigger heaping favor and pick up all-star Superman, The rest of Johns run that doesn't have anything to do with New Krypton, Superman Secret origins, Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Death of Superman, Superman Birthright, and even Superman: a man for all seasons, just 'cause they're awesome.... Sorry. Big Superman fan:)
    skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By skaarason

"Superman because they feel he's too powerful and dull  " 

NEVER !  , you can never go wrong with picking up a superman title !!! 

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sora_thekey
    @E.I.S.A.M.: Thanks... and yeah I can tell!
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Primmaster64

Need to got to the comic book store.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Something about Supergirl's torso on that cover feels off.

I don't know if it's just me, but none of the links in this article worked.

mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mattydeNero

5/5  

Absolutely.    

"Read Superman, everyday kids." - Abraham Lincoln

iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iloverobots
    @sora_thekey said:

" @E.I.S.A.M.: Thanks... and yeah I can tell! "

E.I.S.A.M. is right. You could probably just pick this up, read a bit of the back story on the wiki here and enjoy it but Johns run is so good, if you enjoy Superman even a bit you definitely need to pick it up.  

* Last Son -- Action Comics 844-846, 851, Annual 11 (available in a trade ) 
    * Brainiac -- Action Comics 866-870 (available in a trade)* New Krypton -- If you can get the back issues do it, otherwise you'll have to wait for trades. First volume comes out this month (May), volume 2 is scheduled for September 
    * Last Stand for New Krypton -- This spread in a couple of series (Adventure Comics, Superman, Supergirl) so collecting back issues might be a pain. It just finished though, trades should be on their way soon. 

Then you're pretty much up to date with War of the Supermen, unless I forgot something... but that's all I can remember that relates to the story so far. Hope that helps!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.