Follow

Superman: War of the Supermen

Volume »

The story of the 100-minute war. A Free Comic Book Day zero issue leads into a weekly mini-series from DC running through May, 2010.

Review: War of the Supermen #1

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman

No Caption Provided
    The 100 Minute War gets off to an explosive start as Supergirl confronts her mother over the torture of a captive and Superman fights through waves of Zod's army.

The Good

All of the build-up to this has been much better than I ever thought it would be and that has everything to do with Robinson and Gates' writing. They've crafted an event here that truly feels like a blockbuster. Drama, character, action, storytelling... it's all firing at once. And it really speaks to how well they've set the context (and to Igle's strengths as an artist) that some of the best sequences in this comic are actually silent. Sure, it makes sense scientifically for the silent vacuum of space (as does the fact that Supergirl's tears freeze on her face)... but, really, the lack of words sells the pathos better than any dramatic wailing could.  

As I mentioned, Igle (with masterful colorist Blond) creates a truly engrossing experience here. I was never stepping back to think about technical things like layouts and compositions because the storytelling was so intuitive. This was a true rollercoaster, with twists and turns and some truly jaw-dropping splashpages. Seriously, the space explosion alone could be a poster. Just wow...

The Bad

My only complaint has less to do with actual execution of the book and more to do with the direction of the Superman books, in general. I remember that one of the major points of Crisis of Infinite Earths was to specifically simplify Superman's corner of the DCU and it seems like all that's been reversed, now. Instead of Kal-El being the sole survivor of Krypton, you've got his extended family, Superwoman, Nightwing, Flamebird,  Zod and all the rogue Kryptonians and... the list goes on and I see a threat of it all getting way too complicated for its own good.

The Verdict - 4.5/5

Even if you didn't get the superb zero issue that DC put out for Free Comic Book Day last week, you really need to pick this up if you're a superhero fan. Seriously, "the bad" I talk about with things getting complicated is rather moot... because Robinson & Gates have crafted this so well that you don't need to have read a single issue before this (but without sacrificing the pay offs that long-term readers will enjoy). Seriously, pick this book up when you go to your LCS this week.
    Boomstick Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Boomstick Bob

The FCBD issue's really got me looking forward to this one.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck

Such a good comic. People definitely should be reading the Superman comics now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Fantastic stuff all around. I can't wait to see what happens when the Kryptonians take on some of Earth's greatest heroes.
    mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mattydeNero

Superman is the best thing going in DC.  I'm really glad that this final arc had an issue #0 tp set everything up.  When I read FCBD WotS #0 I thought myself, "This would be a great jumping on point for anyone."  I have a feeling that all of the "supporting cast" of the past two years of Supes-related stories are not ALL going to survive.
    iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iloverobots

Amazing issue, and the cover is so smooth. I mean literally, it some kind of plastified cover that feels more like a magazine than a comic.  

E.I.S.A.M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By E.I.S.A.M.

This really is an exciting time to be reading DC comics!  
    @ Zack Freeman 
    I agree with you on the point about the overflowing of the Superman family, but I think that will be rectified by this story's end. I seriously doubt Nightwing and Flamebird are gonna be around much longer, and I'm kinda' hoping Mon-El goes back into the phantom zone.  
    But I love Zod, and Super Woman isn't really a Kryptonian, so I, myself, can forgive those two. 
    But I hate the dog.... A super dog? Really?!? 
    However, to make myself feel better, I kinda look at it this way, just to make myself feel better about it... Superman was the last baby born on Krypton to live, so he will still in fact always be, specifically, the last son of Krypton. 
    I know that's flimsy, but on some level, I think (hope) it works. 
    Great review by the way.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By goldenkey
    @E.I.S.A.M. said:
    "This really is an exciting time to be reading DC comics!  
    @ Zack Freeman 
    I agree with you on the point about the overflowing of the Superman family, but I think that will be rectified by this story's end. I seriously doubt Nightwing and Flamebird are gonna be around much longer, and I'm kinda' hoping Mon-El goes back into the phantom zone.  
    But I love Zod, and Super Woman isn't really a Kryptonian, so I, myself, can forgive those two. 
    But I hate the dog.... A super dog? Really?!? However, to make myself feel better, I kinda look at it this way, just to make myself feel better about it... Superman was the last baby born on Krypton to live, so he will still in fact always be, specifically, the last son of Krypton. I know that's flimsy, but on some level, I think (hope) it works. Great review by the way. "

What are you a cat lover?  JK  I like the dog just because I remember him being around when I was little.  I enjoy some of the humor brought along with him like fetching for trees instead of sticks 
    Avatar image for bluegoldbizarros
    BlueGoldBizarros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BlueGoldBizarros

I personally don't see a problem with so many Kyptonian characters running around. Even though the new Doctor Who series got rid of most of the Time Lords, (except of course the Doctor and the Master), but the old series did fine with having several thousands of Time Lords and true most of them didn't travel outside of Gallefrey (parden my misspelling) but they didn't take away the suspense or tention the show needed and I don't think having thousands of Kyptonian all on a planet outside of our solar system is going to stop Superman from being "Special". 

PS. I'll apologize ahead of time if I got New Krypton's location wrong

iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iloverobots
    @BlueGoldBizarros said:
    "

I personally don't see a problem with so many Kyptonian characters running around. Even though the new Doctor Who series got rid of most of the Time Lords, (except of course the Doctor and the Master), but the old series did fine with having several thousands of Time Lords and true most of them didn't travel outside of Gallefrey (parden my misspelling) but they didn't take away the suspense or tention the show needed and I don't think having thousands of Kyptonian all on a planet outside of our solar system is going to stop Superman from being "Special". 

PS. I'll apologize ahead of time if I got New Krypton's location wrong

"
    New Krypton was in our solar system, in orbit with our Sun but on the opposite side. 

Earth [Sun] New Krypton

This way the New Kryptonians still received their powers from the yellow sun.
    suuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By suuperman

if the bad is moot then why only a 4.5 your ravings seem like 5 material.

Avatar image for kalel_elguezabal
    Kalel-Elguezabal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kalel-Elguezabal

cant wait! The buildup has been nothing short of amazing.

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Green ankh

For a Superman freak this year has been great !! the bad S book is Action.  And Supergirl has been out of this world.  
    I can't wait to read this.
    Avatar image for bluegoldbizarros
    BlueGoldBizarros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BlueGoldBizarros
    @iloverobots:
    Thanks, wasn't sure where New Krypton was.
    Aspenfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Aspenfan1

some one spoil this for me!!!  I have to wait until next month when my DCBS shipment gets here!

Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aquamariner

So I don't get it, what made you give it a 4.5 then if the bad is moot? 

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Pizawle

It was great. The moment... oh my.

daveydavey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By daveydavey
    @Aspenfan1 said:
    " some one spoil this for me!!!  I have to wait until next month when my DCBS shipment gets here! "
    Oh man it was Great! I'll tell you what happened supe.......................................................................................................................

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.