inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

The Avengers run a battery of tests on Superior Spider-Man to find out if he says who he is, but SSM isn't happy with the results so he heads off to find Cardiac who has one of his old brain monitoring devices, but ends up having a "softy" moment for someone he hurt in the past.

It's pretty obvious that Doc Ock knows something is going on inside his brain, so he lets the Avengers run a bunch of tests on him because they, too, think something is up. Well, they find nothing, but I loved these scenes and the dialogue SSM has with the Avenegers and Black Widow. Dan Slott really keeps the reader engaged with witty dialogue and a story that actually evokes a bit of emotion.

I loved seeing Cardiac in this issue, and I love the fight scene between he and SSM. It was very brief, but it was a great connection and moving piece within the scene. Cardiac's monologue, again, a great moment in this issue, and it's nice to see how other characters in this world dealt with Ock's crazy schemes.

I'm a big fan of Humberto Ramos' (pencils), Victor Olazaba's (inks), and Edgar Delgado's (color) work on this issue. Ramos' art is vary stylized and, if you've never seen it before, it's pretty exaggerated, but it really fits the writing here, since Dan Slott has a bit more of a "wacky" side to his writing. The inking is solid and consistent and so is the color here.Overall, it's a stand-out issue art wise.

What an amazing and touching turning point in this issue, when Superior Spider-Man comes to the realization that he hurt so many people during the Ends of the Earth arc. He realizes that he can make amends for some of the pain he's caused, and he does that here by making a piece of technology work, that Octavius invented, in order to help a little girl that was hurt when Ock tried to fry the planet. Now, while it may seem like he's doing it for selfish means, he could have just taken the device and not helped at all. This is another moment where he proves he can actually be a Superior Spider-Man.

This issue has a fantastic ending. Without spoiling anything, it's a moment I've been waiting for. It's one that, depending on the outcomes, can change the course of the series.

The Bad

I really loved this issue. Sorry to say, I don't have any problems with it. I don't know why I'm sorry to say that...

The Verdict

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #8 is a fantastic issue that is actually quite touching. Dan Slott really makes a possible game changing move at the end of this issue that for sure will have readers guessing what is going to happen in the next couple of issues. Ramos does a stellar job in the art department as well. It's one of my favorite issues from the series thus far.

Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I haven't read this yet, but I give it 6/5 based on having Cardiac on the cover.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pspin

I totally agree with this review. This was an excellent issue and really showed that SSM is legit, the Black Widow scene was also really good.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

...You are not a Skrull ..

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I just hope that at some point in the future when this is all said and done and Peter is back in control of his body that he tells the Avengers just how big of idiots they are

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By animehunter

Did we read the same issue, because all I got from it, is nausea, how he portrayed the avengers as button pushing idiots and further, I needed an antacid after the dialogue between SSM and Black widow as well as how he portrayed her in her last panel. and a double dose for how Slott is trying sooo hard to say look at him, he's trying sooo hard to be a hero.

Well fudge to that, in my opinion it is the most nauseating thing I have read. The only good think of the whole book was the dialogue between Carlie and the mystery guy.

If I could I'd give it 2 stars

slvr4surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like superior Spider-man...

sledgemeyers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: I entirely disagree and would just iterate that if you don't like the book, don't read it.

I had nothing but love for this issue. It was interesting and put another cool spin on Ock's relationship with villains over Peter's. Let's face it, this is a breath of fresh air into Spider-Man and can only help it. If and when Peter gets back into his body it'll be back to the same old, so I love savoring this change for now.

I also wonder what will come of his and Cardiac's relationship now if anything.

Avatar image for thegenericmister
    thegenericmister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah otto is growing on me

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sledgemeyers:Well I can't say I will ever agree with you, to me Ock will always be a villain and what he did will never sit well with me and everything after.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When did G-Man stop reviewing SSM?

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ILLO_29

For me the best part of this issue was the dialogue between Carlie and the person in the shadows, I wish we would have seen more of Carlie's investigation (it would have been interesting to see Carlie an MJ team up and start figuring stuff out together). I kept hearing how awsome the last page was and I was kind of let down by it, I mean did people not think that was going to happen? I've loving SSM and can't wait until the next issue.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

enjoying SS. This might be the best issue yet.

skyjumpermike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By skyjumpermike

@animehunter: if you know that, then why read it, just to complain about it? Congrats. You don't like it. Now go away.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skyjumpermike:that wasn't very nice, why shouldn't there be people who read it just to complain about it.

It like listening to someone on the radio or watching TV, some because they like it and want to see what the say or do next and some because hate and what to so the same reason.

As for me I read it because I want to how far they push it and what they might do the other characters in the book. so yes I might read it but it is more for characters like Ghost Peter, Carlie Cooper, Mary Jane, Black Widow, Silver Sable(when she returns), J Jonah Jameson(not really), Aunt May, Horizon Labs and the other supporting characters.

So SSM right not is the bottom of my list wanting to know what happens to him.

Rolls7royce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rolls7royce

<p>This series is good. That being said, i hate this series. So what if Octavius is trying to do good, he hasn't paid for any of his crimes. I am looking forward to the next issue and also dreading it because i think we may be seeing the absolute end of Peter Parker for the foreseeable future. This is a great series, i just wish it was an alternate reality story.</p>

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By spinningbirdcake

If I read Black Widow saying she has red in her ledger one more damn time...

That being said this issue was great. I love Otto and am actually missing Peter less and less with each issue. I think I'd be perfectly fine with this being the norm for a couple years, maybe more.

wolverine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i was geeking out at the ending of this issue, god i want to talk to somebody about it lol

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JamDamage

This issue was great. Really good. A Classic deserving of it's 5 star rating. What I want to know is what do they do with Doc Ock when he comes back. Do they make him a hero of some kind now that he likes it, and we like having him a hero? Does he do it as a man with eight limbs?? Do we throw him into another Spider-man body so we have 3 spider guys in comics. 3...............4..................what's the differance anyway, huh?

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was just incredible. There's something about watching Superior Spidey get one over on the Avengers that I find exhilarating. I really hope Otto's run as Spider-Man lasts as long as possible. Also want to see ghost Peter get excised some time in the following issues.

I really enjoyed seeing Otto put his doctorate where his mouth is in this book. The interaction between him and Cardiac was great. Never thought I'd read a comic that is both heartwarming and sinister at the same time. The die is cast. Superior Spider-Man is one of my top Marvel Now titles.

Tmul501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this issue as well. I admit, I'm not the biggest Spock fan. I am happy to see him stepping into the hero role more firmly, but I'm still missing the humor element that (for me) made spidey my favorite hero/on-going. What I'm hoping is that, with all the stuff that will go on in issue #9, some how their minds/personalities meld. Having the combination of the two (Ock's genius, tenacity, and confidence [well, for Ock it's probably more narcissism] and Peter's humor, morality, and social skills) would be awesome. THAT would really be a superior spider-man. Not a humorless douche...:), but Spock is growing on me bit by bit. Good issue. Also, I really love Ramos' art.

Jawshco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't know how Slott did it, but he had me both hating and loving Doc Ock in this issue. When the girl gave him Mr. Pinkie the Penguin, all I could think of was the melting of the Grinch's cold evil heart. But then... there was the ending.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was awesome. I've been getting less and less interested in this series because it felt more and more like a miniseries than a regular (and I would hate that all that build up on making Otto the new Superior Spider-Man would end up after 12 issues -he deserves better) but this really brought my attention back. Even if this doesn't last, I don't care anymore, this issue was perfect and I can't wait for the next one.

stetson12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm so excited for issue 9!! This issue was great!!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By Lvenger

So basically the Avengers run some tests on SpOck, everything physically is all fine and then they let him go? Why not use a telepath or a mystic to see what's wrong? That was a very weak plot point for this issue.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@theheat said:

When did G-Man stop reviewing SSM?

G-Man and I have been going back and forth each issue.

GMan reviews: 1, 3, 4,

IE reviews: 2, 5, 6AU, 8

ScumDestroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony Stark is in space.. Hank Pym is filing divorce after the disassembly of Avengers Academy.. none of the smart guys were around to figure it out.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been trying to cut back on a few titles, but this one I just can't stop buying.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man if BATMAN was in this issue we have Parker back by now lol. That just goes to show how valuable Tony and Hank are for the team. Now the Avengers are filled with a bunch of dumb bricks.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think what most people are missing is simple, the more love and praise you give the concept of putting a villain in spider-man's body and then praising him just means there is no incentive for putting Peter back in the body. Why would they want to do that when this book is selling so well? I hope you like spider-ock cause if sales are any indication he's there to stay now and you all made it happen.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, as for the smart people being gone? Please, they are idiots in anything other than science. If anyone's gonna figure it out it's someone who's street smart and used to spider-man, someone like Black Widow. Still, they Avengers ARE button pushing madmen. They're quick to act, quick to betray, most members of this team turned their backs on their friends with the whole Civil War incident as soon as the law was passed.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By laflux

This is where I say slott has kinda won me over. It wasn't perfect, but Superior Spider-Man is a classic case IMO of a not so great plotline doing relatively due to good writing to fill it out.

That being said, I prefer Stegman drawing Spider-Man.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

>that feel when ock gets the penguin....hnnnnng

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jawshco said:

I don't know how Slott did it, but he had me both hating and loving Doc Ock in this issue. When the girl gave him Mr. Pinkie the Penguin, all I could think of was the melting of the Grinch's cold evil heart. But then... there was the ending.

Exactly lol. In the words of the immortal bard; "somebody's gotta be the bad guy".

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@lvenger said:

So basically the Avengers run some tests on SpOck, everything physically is all fine and then they let him go? Why not use a telepath or a mystic to see what's wrong? That was a very weak plot point for this issue.

This and this again!

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

I think what most people are missing is simple, the more love and praise you give the concept of putting a villain in spider-man's body and then praising him just means there is no incentive for putting Peter back in the body. Why would they want to do that when this book is selling so well? I hope you like spider-ock cause if sales are any indication he's there to stay now and you all made it happen.

Sounds good to me. It's a great story. One of the best villain redemption tales I've read in a long time, and yet it's always on the line if that's what it is or not.

AWeekInGeekdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My love for Cardiac was seriously rekindled, I was rooting for him all the way. I'm not getting my hopes up for issue 9 but I know it will be another stellar issue!

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, as for the smart people being gone? Please, they are idiots in anything other than science. If anyone's gonna figure it out it's someone who's street smart and used to spider-man, someone like Black Widow. Still, they Avengers ARE button pushing madmen. They're quick to act, quick to betray, most members of this team turned their backs on their friends with the whole Civil War incident as soon as the law was passed.

Besides the Black Widow, the only other heroine who would figure out that Superior Spider-Man is not Peter Parker is Jessica Drew. As for the Black Cat, there is a very good reason why she hasn't appeared in Spider-Man's world. In the original plans for EoE storyline, the Black Cat and Agent Venom was to have been featured. But neither one was available. So Dan Slott used Silver Sable in Black Cat's place and used the Black Widow in Agent Venom's place. In other words, if Slott had gotten the chance to use the Black Cat, he would have killed her off. And recalled the 2011 Free Comic Book Day Edition of Spider-Man fighting Spider-Woman, I would assume that he might have originally planned to have Ms. Marvel battling him. But wasn't able to use her.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

enjoying SS. This might be the best issue yet.

amen to that. I don't want this to end. I love Peter, always will, but Otto has me in stitches sometimes, esp. the last panel in this ish. They can do so many more things with this before we revert to same old

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.