Follow

Supergirl

Character » Supergirl appears in 3427 issues.

Kara Zor-El is Superman's cousin and last survivor of Krypton's Argo City. She has a brash and defiant personality that she developed in response to the destruction of Krypton. Currently, she's operating out of National City alongside the D.E.O.

'Supergirl' TV Series to Take Off at CBS

• 160 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

We heard rumblings about a possible Supergirl TV show recently and now it appears it's getting closer to actually happening. The show will be at CBS (welcome home) and will be handled by Greg Berlanti and Ali Adler. The two have dabbled in the superhero genre with ABC's No Ordinary Family.

No Caption Provided

We've recently seen Supergirl on the small screen in the CW's Smallville when the characters was portrayed by Laura Vandervoort. Obviously it's too early to think about casting so we'll have to wait for more information. We'll also have to wait to see how exactly the show will work without directly involving Kara's cousin, Superman. There have also been some slight variations in the character since her debut in 1959's ACTION COMICS #252.

A Supergirl TV show also means that all the major networks, CBS, ABC, NBC, the CW, and Fox will have comic book TV shows. There's also the Marvel shows at Netflix, Powers on the PlayStation Network, and possibly Titans on TNT. It's a good time to be a comic book fan.

What are your thoughts on a Supergirl TV show? Which version do you think would work best?

Source: Deadline

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Great news. We will get female superhero tv show. Now all we need female superhero movie

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Hm.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ccraft

Can't say I'm interested in this, good news for the Supergirls fans I'm sure.

I just don't see how you can have a Supergirl tv show without Superman existing, same goes for the TT tv show.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad, but I'd rather watch Supergirl in a big movie.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Awesome

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they should go with there own version of the character that doesn't specifically follow any particular version of the character. also it would be cool if it existed in the same universe as the dccu

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, all these shows has me a tad worried. Especially since we have no idea what other characters are allowed to appear on these shows. Like is Supes gonna show up and if so is HC going to play him? If not are they ignoring the movies altogether and if that's the case could Supes just show up with a different actor? What about characters like Speedy who was a teen titan will he be able to show up on the show?

All these shows on different stations (Most likely set in their own universe) is a odd to say the least. Oh well suppose we'll find out eventually.

AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It may be a cool show, for all I know, but they're making a big mistake by letting every network and big company have a different character and a different piece of their lore. You think they'd have learned from Marvel's mistake.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Perfect, this is absolutely fantastic news :)

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

I just don't see how you can have a Supergirl tv show without Superman existing, same goes for the TT tv show.

The Teen Titans had an entire cartoon series in which Batman, nor any other members of the League existed and that show did very well (maybe a little to well). Same goes for Supergirl, most of her comics don't involve Superman anyways.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CBS though....

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rogueshadow  Moderator

I hope they put at least one show in the main DCCU. I hope it's this one, but then we already know Supergirl crash landed on Earth thousands of years ago in the DCCU. They could scrap that though, it was only one tie-in comic.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprise CBS pick up this series. But hey more superhero tv show to watch. This is golden age of Superhero in media with more movies and tv shows :)

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOO MANY SHOWS TO WATCH. O_O I'm going to have to dvd wait some of these.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well hopefully HBO involve with Superhero tv show in future :)

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Trodorne

The CW should have done this show. They do more of the teen drama shows better. I am not sure why DC is allowing so many different stations to do filming of their properties.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is great news. It means DC is testing the waters in regards to female leads.

MrGutts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank goodness it was not the CW group. Maybe another Time Warner group can do better.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By righteous300

CBS...

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I'm pretty sure TT referenced Batman once. A TT and Supergirl tv show just doesn't feel right without establishing Bats and Supes imo.

4Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MCU, Agents of Shield tv series, Agent Carter tv series, Netflix tv series (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders) = Same Universe

DCCU (Man of Steel, B v S movies) = 1 Universe

Shazam movie = Another Universe

Arrow and Flash tv series = Another Universe

Gotham tv series = Another Universe

Constantine tv series = Another Universe

Supergirl tv series = Another Universe

iZombie tv series = Another Universe

Preacher tv series = Another Universe

Titans tv series = Another Universe

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: They gave very subtle hints, but they never mentioned or showed him. Why? just one little mention of Supes and that's all you need (if that), afterwards it just becomes about Supergirl.

iDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iDude

Cool! But I have one question... Did Wb forget about the DCCU?

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd really like to be excited, unfortunately I think we're about to get too much of what we want all at once. Every time a new genre becomes a hit on TV the sharks smell blood in the water. Everybody tries to strike while the iron is hot. This tends to lead to more than most anyone has time to watch and keep up with. It also usually ends up with a bunch of mediocre at best shows. I hope I'm wrong and it will be interesting to see how many of these series can succeed and last more than a season or two.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 the_stegman  Moderator

It really is the Heroic Age. And I like this, though, CBS is a weird choice.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

This would have been so much better news years ago as a spin off from Smallville with Vandervort in the title role. I'm nervous how they'll do it. Kara Zor-el is the only character worthy of the Supergirl title.

Loving all these superheroes finally getting attention!!

darksuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn it now thats the dc comics i was waiting all this years,not afraid of take risks and being in everthing with plenty shows,games,tv,animation now starting cinema too great news

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jwalser3

@4thor: Why wouldn't Shazam be in the same Universe as BvS. Same goes for Constantine and iZombie.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

CBS? Isn't the network Big Bang Theory (a.k.a. "offensively-stereotypical nerd festival") is on?

If they involve Kal (which they should) the moment where Kara sees her baby cousin alive and all grown up, and Kal finally meets a member of his Kryptonian family, should be diabetes-inducingly sweet. Not like New 52, where they seem to hate each other.

4Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3 said:

@4thor: Why wouldn't Shazam be in the same Universe as BvS

New Line Cinema will produce the film and that screenwriter Darren Lemke (Jack the Giant Slayer, Turbo) will draft the upcoming film.

"It feels to me like Shazam will have a tone unto itself," New Line president Toby Emmerich told the outlet. "It's a DC comic, but it's not a Justice League character, and it's not a Marvel comic. The tone and the feeling of the movie will be different from the other range of comic book movies."

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

dont know about cbs but its supergirl so will be watching

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so let me get this straight. There is a Flash tv show, & there might be a Flash movie, which would tie in to DOJ , but the tv & movies will be seperate. Yet most likely will be using the same versions of the characters, Barry etc. DC's over-reliance of their top-tier characters will just lead to oversaturation & ruin the entire superhero genre boom. Whereas the reason Marvel was so successful with Iron-Man is because, lets face it, him & the other Avengers/GOG characters are much more obsure & lesser known to the general public, than say the Fantastic Failures, or the 5 spider-movies. Hell, even the X-men really only had THREE good movies, X2, DOFP & & for some reason I'm drawning a blank on X:FC , but I'm saying its good just to give them more good movies out of their 7.

At the very least this should be about Power-Girl, then have her encounter Linda, Kara in-Ze, Cir-El Galatea & somehow try & fix up the mess that is Matrix.

But I've always wanted an incarnation of the Super-Verse that has Lex Luthor seen as a friend to the Kents, they dont know that he is in his green/purple battle suit, that Lex & Clark are actually friends, & that Lex is even openly known to be banging one of the Super girls in civilian life.

I just hope we get some Kara/Comet action.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Sweet. Always loved Kara.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya ill watch it

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By SaintWildcard

I'll bite. Please be good

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sealife

@4thor:

That doesn't have to mean it is in another universe. It could mean a different direction than the other movies like it will have humor or just simply he won't be a Justice League member, but still exists in the same universe.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

This is pretty much what I think.

Avatar image for dadarkknight36310
    dadarkknight36310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4thor: Why does that matter. Why does everything comic related have to be in the same universe? I like that some shows are tied together and some are not. Every show does not have to be tied to the same universe. When you are tied to the same universe you have to much baggage to carry to tell a great story, take a look how being tied to the same universe almost ended aos because they had to wait until the cap movie came out to finally start telling the story they wanted to tell.

4Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sealife said:

@4thor:

That doesn't have to mean it is in another universe. It could mean a different direction than the other movies like it will have humor or just simply he won't be a Justice League member, but still exists in the same universe.

The Shazam movie will not be produced by WB like MoS and BvS, it will be a New Line Cinema production, and after that comments from new line president i bet 95% another universe for Shazam! but you still could be right, we will see in the future.

The Flash series and this Supergirl series could hurt DCCU, Supergirl is basically a female copy of Superman, and if the plan is to make a Flash movie, all this is very confusing to non comic book readers 99% of regular movie going audience.

4Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4thor: Why does that matter. Why does everything comic related have to be in the same universe? I like that some shows are tied together and some are not. Every show does not have to be tied to the same universe. When you are tied to the same universe you have to much baggage to carry to tell a great story, take a look how being tied to the same universe almost ended aos because they had to wait until the cap movie came out to finally start telling the story they wanted to tell.

I agree with you post but the Marvel studios flag is that everything is connected, this shared universe was an innovation in cinema and tv and was very well received by general audiences! It's in the comic books Dna connect Characters!

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4thor said:

@sealife said:

@4thor:

The Shazam movie will not be produced by WB like MoS and BvS, it will be a New Line Cinema production, and after that comments from new line president i bet 95% another universe for Shazam! but you still could be right, we will see in the future.

The Flash series and this Supergirl series could hurt DCCU, Supergirl is basically a female copy of Superman, and if the plan is to make a Flash movie, all this is very confusing to non comic book readers 99% of regular movie going audience.

Oh, I am not saying you are wrong. I just pointed out it isn't 100% it is in another universe. I would not be shocked if it though. Also I was under the impression New Line Cinema was under WB?

I agree it could be confusing with all of these universes, but I don't think it would keep people away from other properties.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol...i like supergirl, but this is going to be difficult for me to get into because she will likely have very little interaction with Supes, and will have the whole lone hero in her world thing going on.

4Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By 4Thor

@sealife: Yes new line is WB subsidiary, the Flash series hurts a Flash movie specially overseas people are not that informed as we are.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4thor said:

@sealife: Yes new line is WB subsidiary, the Flash series hurts a Flash movie especially overseas people are not that informed as we are.

Most people abroad probably don't even know about the flash series. Yes of course it will be broadcasted in other countries, but unlike movies it won't reach such a big audience.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 the_stegman  Moderator

@4thor said:

MCU, Agents of Shield tv series, Agent Carter tv series, Netflix tv series (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders) = Same Universe

DCCU (Man of Steel, B v S movies) = 1 Universe

Shazam movie = Another Universe

Arrow and Flash tv series = Another Universe

Gotham tv series = Another Universe

Constantine tv series = Another Universe

Supergirl tv series = Another Universe

iZombie tv series = Another Universe

Preacher tv series = Another Universe

Titans tv series = Another Universe

So? I feel like every since Marvel did this "Shared Universe" thing, everyone expects all comics to do it now, I don't mind them being in different universes, it gives the writers more creative freedom. I don't want to have the the Ben Affleck Batman to try to explain the earlier history of the Gotham tv show. I don't need Flash to have to see the Flash like "Sorry, can't be in Central right now, the JL need me, I'll let Arrow take over."

Keep the tv and movie universe separate is what I say. But I DO hope Shazam is in the same JL universe.

4Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I just point out facts, you all are free to have your own interpretations!

I already quote that in my interpretation Marvel studios great success is based on the shared universe "everything is connected", It's in the comic books Dna connect Characters!

Supergirl is a copy of Superman being in a different universe could hurt DCCU, just my opinion...

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4thor: iZombie's not even part of the DCU, you are aware of that right?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.