Follow

Supergirl

Character » Supergirl appears in 3428 issues.

Kara Zor-El is Superman's cousin and last survivor of Krypton's Argo City. She has a brash and defiant personality that she developed in response to the destruction of Krypton. Currently, she's operating out of National City alongside the D.E.O.

'Supergirl' scribe takes higher education to next level

greenarrowfan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By greenarrowfan12

Higher education is essential for some youngsters, even superheroines wearing a familiar "S" shield on their chest.

Kara Zor-El has been schooled in humanity by her time on Earth following the destruction of her home planet of Krypton, but new Supergirl co-writer K. Perkins is taking that learning to the next level by throwing her into the Crucible Academy, a Harry Potter-esque institution in space for those with neato powers.

"Through her classes and interactions with her professors and fellow classmates, Kara is defining more of who she is, what she stands for and how she fits in — if at all," says Perkins, who's teamed on the DC Comics series with Mike Johnson.

In her first issue on the title last month, Perkins took Kara from a newbie barista having a heart-to-heart with her cousin Superman and launched her into a cosmic adventure as she's recruited to Crucible by Comet (a reimagined version of DC's Captain Comet) as well as Maxima, Tsavo and Preceptor Amata — all of whom are key for Kara's next growth spurt.

Out Wednesday, Supergirl No. 37 starts to show what kind of school Crucible really is as well as show a little glimpse of what lies around the corner for Kara and "the super-Scoobie-gang," says Perkins.

The arc comes at a time when Kara's getting over her stint with the rage-filled Red Lanterns and questioning who she is, what she thinks and is she the person others — and herself — wants her to be.

"These are all questions we've asked ourselves, especially in our adolescence — and if you're me, well, then you ask these questions constantly," Perkins says. "And I think superheroes are no different."

This process not only makes her relatable and human for fans — and, admittedly, also an extraordinary character for Perkins to write — but it also puts the heroine under an intense amount of stress because of her powers.

"That's a lot to carry, but she does it. She's doing it," Perkins says. "Her time at Crucible is just amplifying and pushing forward these discoveries."

The writer adds that Kara's time at Crucible will probably create a new status quo for her when she leaves it and also "make her a more experienced, learned, and confident participant in the DC Universe."

As for Crucible itself, Perkins and Johnson talked about it as the lovechild of Hogwarts and the Galactica. "Mike says Hogwarts and a Star Destroyer — we try to out-nerd each other on arguing this point," Perkins says, adding that Supergirl's home of higher learning is an institution that has a very clear mission yet also a deep complexity as to its existence.

"Since the school has been around for quite some time there was once a great need for it to exist; otherwise it wouldn't have been created in the first place. But something Kara and her friends are exploring now is if that need is still relevant or if that need has changed with the ever-evolving universe."

Supergirl issue 36 also revealed a last-page reappearance of Kon El, aka Superboy, who's been on a bit of a mission of self-discovery himself, Perkins teases. "Readers will get a deeper look into what exactly Kon has been doing and looking for in No. 37 so I won't spoil the surprise. But let's just say that what Kon has been looking for has great significance to Kara and this arc overall."

Perkins is making her debut in comics with Supergirl, but in all aspects of the New York's diverse resume — as a novelist, producer and playwright — female characters who kick butt are a major appeal but so are complex personalities who struggle. "Maybe because I'm one, too," she says. "Or maybe because I'm also blond and freakishly strong for my totally average muscle definition.

"I'm really drawn to Kara because she's strong and vulnerable simultaneously, and she's always pursuing learning and understanding, whether she realizes it or not."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/12/16/supergirl-comic-book-exclusive-preview/20500363/

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.