Follow

Kon-El

Character » Kon-El appears in 1740 issues.

Conner Kent, also known as Kon-El, is a human/Kryptonian hybrid clone of Superman and Lex Luthor created by N.O.W.H.E.R.E. for the purpose of being the mantle of Superman. Instead, he stuck to his own path, and became a member of the Teen Titans.

Superboy or Superman?!?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

ok, i know this is really starting to bug me, i'm not sure about the other mods / admin, but can we please get this cleaned up...

All issues like this, or any adventures of Superman when he was a a kid, even though he went under the name of "Superboy", the main character is Kal El, not Kon El or Connor Kent.

can we please make sure these go in the right category as Superman (Kal El) and Superboy (Kon El) are two different characters.

if anyone disagrees with putting the "Superboy" comics where the main star is Kal El under the Superman page, not the Superboy page, dedicated to Connor Kent, Kon El, please note your objections here with your reasoning.

M

Walkingstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Walkingstone

The only thing I'd say is that this seems to be one of the grey areas where it's hard to decide where to put things based on the rules in the FAQ.

In the FAQ it says to keep it under the pseudonym so Supergirl has Linda Danvers and Kara Zor-El. Or Batgirl has Cassandra Caine and Babara Gordon. So if we're going to follow the latter rule, all Superboy references should go under Superboy rather than the Kal-El going under Superman and the Con-El going under Superboy.

Which rule should we follow and when? :D Just thought I'd bring that up. If I'm wrong, it'd be good to get the clarification too because it means I've misunderstood the rules

RedGenesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RedGenesis

No, Superboy is only Connor Kent and should be treated that way.

The Superman profile has "Superboy" as an alias, since I put it there, so all those old Superboy comics should have Superman in its submission.

I've corrected them as I've went through them, but there are many of those inconsistencies.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

i agree

ultrakid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ultrakid

i agree as well

KidVega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KidVega
    Agent Paradox 9 said:
    " The Superman profile has "Superboy" as an alias, since I put it there, so all those old Superboy comics should have Superman in its submission. "

The Superboy - Clark Kent comics still there you must do something because new readers like i was some moths ago could get confused about the diference between Kon-El and Kal-El.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By Zoom
    Walkingstone said:
    "In the FAQ it says to keep it under the pseudonym so Supergirl has Linda Danvers and Kara Zor-El. Or Batgirl has Cassandra Caine and Babara Gordon. So if we're going to follow the latter rule, all Superboy references should go under Superboy rather than the Kal-El going under Superman and the Con-El going under Superboy."
    I think one of the main problems with the whole comicvine wiki is that the FAQ can't decide if it wants us to list people based on characters or names.

It does say that Batgirl should be one page with information about Barbara Gordon and Cassandra Cain combined because they are both "Batgirl."  This emphasizes names.
    Yet there is no page for Impulse, Arsenal, etc.  Instead we have Bart Allen and Roy Harper.  In fact, the FAQ mentions that no character should have two pages.  This emphasizes characters.

In my personal opinion, you can't do both all the time. 

I would rather have a character based wiki personally and have former heroes/villains labeled as "Mirror Master (Sam Scudder)" whereas the current one, Evan McCulloch, would just be called "Mirror Master."  Combining two completely different characters on the same page can be very confusing to newer readers as KidVega points out.

Ideally, though this would require a lot of extra programing, you could tag an issue of Outsiders with Arsenal, a Titans issue with Speedy (Roy Harper) and a JLA issue with Red Arrow but when you clicked on any of those tags, it would send you to the same page, a Red Arrow page that also contained information about Roy as Speedy, Arsenal, and Red Arrow.  Speedy's page would briefly mention that Roy Harper is the original Speedy and have a link to the Red Arrow page.

That's how I'd do it but I'm not the guy calling the shots.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Zoom

As for this specific example, I agree with you in principle, Methos.  However, that is not how it should be done based on the current system.

From the FAQ:

"Do not separate characters based on personae.

There's only one The Flash in the database despite there being multiple people that wore the mask."

Ergo, there is only one Superboy in the database.  All information about Superboy, regardless of which Superboy we are talking about, ought to be contained under his page.  In fact, also from the FAQ:

"All other personae should be considered an alias.

Dick Grayson was Robin, and should be listed an alias of the character."

So Superboy's page should have Kal-El as an alias, further confirming the fact that with the current system, those old issues ought to be tagged with Superboy, not Superman.

But I think thats silly.  Those are obviously stories about Superman and should be tagged as such.  It just goes against the FAQ.  But you're a mod, Methos.  If you feel the right thing for the wiki goes against the FAQ why don't you just change the FAQ?

KidVega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KidVega
    Yeah or just a number
    Example
    Kal El would be Superboy i
    Kon El Would be Superboy II

The easy way.
    Names, no personaas the rules says
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By SevanGrim
    KidVega said:
    "Yeah or just a number
    Example
    Kal El would be Superboy i
    Kon El Would be Superboy II

The easy way.
    Names, no personaas the rules says"
    yeah, i like that. cuz these things have both got to be under superboy, so nobody ever finds one when they are looking for the other. but if the description actually says "Superboy  1 is so and so, and Superboy 2 is so and so" and then separates their info, it would work out allot better.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.