Follow

Static

Character » Static appears in 185 issues.

Virgil Hawkins was exposed to a mutagenic gas that swept his city of Dakota, which gave him and other 'bang babies" superpowers. With the ability to control electromagnetism, Static joined the Teen Titans and continues to protect his city while serving on the team.

Why Rozum REALLY Left Static Shock

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

Edited By JonesDeini
    No Caption Provided

So it seems something was actually up...

"This post is to clarify some comments a made on facebook, which were picked up by Bleeding Cool News about why I left the comic book series Static Shock which was one of the 52 titles that were part of DC Comics' much celebrated relaunch last fall. The comments were made in a Milestone specific group and were meant more to shed light on my feelings about the missed opportunity to show the true potential of the character of Static, and what I had hoped to do with the character, and series, when I was asked to write it, and less to do with my reasons for leaving. Because the comments were made casually, I left a lot of room for interpretation for anyone reading them, which isn't fair to any parties involved, so I'm taking this opportunity to offer some clarity.

Initially, I had never intended to openly discuss the reasons why I chose to leave Static Shock. My reasons were my own, and I felt that after expressing them to the powers that be at DC Comics and after discussing them with Bob Harras that the situation was resolved amicably and that there was no reason to say anything further than acknowledging that I had indeed left the series. However, since the announcement that Static Shock would cease publication with issue #8 ( I was only involved with issues 1-4) there's been a lot of online chatter about why the series failed, and I've received a lot of angry email blaming me for wrecking the series, the character, and the opportunity for an African-American character to take center stage at one of the big publishing companies. I've had people announce that due to the low quality of comic that they would no longer buy anything that had my name on it. I've had an editor at a publisher other than DC say they weren't interested in having me write for them because they thought Static Shock was a poor comic book series.

I don't really care what people think of me personally. Not everyone is going to like me, that's a given. That's okay. I don't really care if people don't like my work. I can't please everyone. No one can. That's okay, too. There are enough people who do like my work that I'm happy to have them, and happy to let those who don't like my work read the stuff they do like. That's all good. I finally spoke out because I'm unwilling to have my professional reputation damaged because of something that is not my responsibility. I've always been very vocal about crediting my collaborators for their contributions, or for others for inspiring aspects of my work, and always been completely willing to take responsibility for something I did that turned out to be less than it could have been.

This brings me to Static. When I was asked to write Static Shock for DC Comics, it was no doubt because of my long relationship with Milestone Comics (where the character originated, as did Xombi) and because of my long, close friendship with Static's creator, Dwayne McDuffie, who died nearly a year ago. I was excited by the opportunity. I loved the character, who I'd previously written in an issue of Kobalt way back when, and was looking forward to writing something so radically different from what I'm usually offered, but still infusing it with my own sensibility and giving the world a comic book series full of creativity, crazy ideas, and a lot of fun and humor unlike any of the other 51 titles that DC would be offering up last September. I thought Static had the potential to be one of DCs A-list characters, and not simply some supporting character incorporated from an outside company's pantheon of heroes. I never felt thatXombi lent itself well to full incorporation into the DC Universe and would always have to exist as it's own pocket world in the DCU. WithStatic Shock, however, I was fully looking forward to embracing all areas of the greater DCU, and also using the series as a gateway to not only showcase how cool all of the other Milestone characters were, but to bring them into the DCU in their own right.

To say I was disappointed with how things turned out is an understatement. From the first issue on, I was essentially benched by Harvey Richards and artist/writer Scott McDaniel. All of my ideas and suggestions were met with disdain, and Scott McDaniel lectured me on how my method for writing was wrong because it wasn't what the Robert McKee screenwriting book he read told him was the way to do things. The man who'd never written anything was suddenly more expert than me and the editor was agreeing with him. Scott had also never read a Static comic book, nor seen the cartoon series, yet was telling me that my dialogue didn't sound true to the character and would "fix it."

There was more concern about seeing that the title sold and didn't get cancelled than there was in telling good stories and having something coherent to bring readers in. This is what led Harvey to insist on the stuff with the two Sharon's and cutting off Static's arm. He had no answers for how to resolve these things, but thought it would keep reader's wowed enough to stick with the series. This, too, was frustrating. It was a lot of grasping at straws and trying to second guess what would keep it selling. It was decided that "bigger action" on every page of every issue was the key.

Static's alter ego, Virgil, who was more important to the original series than his super hero persona, was put on the very back burner because Harvey said it wasn't important and that the book just needed to be all action. One of my scripts was deemed too slow because there were a total of 4 pages where no one was hitting or shooting anything. Essentially my job was to transcribe Scott's voluminous and often clunky dialogue into a script format. Any efforts I made to try and finesse, edit, or reduce his dialogue or captions, offended him, and everything had to be changed back to how he'd originally written it, while my dialogue always required his improvement. Scott, to be fair, had a lot of great ideas, but did not have the writing skills necessary to make these ideas compelling stories, but was not willing to take any suggestions, or changes that I'd give him. As a writer, I understand the desire to want to protect you ideas and to believe that they are all golden, but this was supposed to be a collaborative experience, and I was supposed to be the writer with experience. To give credit where credit is due, my meager contributions to Static Shock amount to including Hardware, naming the school after Dwayne McDuffie, giving Virgil an after school job at S.T.A.R. labs, the Pale Man, Guillotina and the random line of dialogue. That's about it.If you didn't like any of those things, blame me. Everything else was Scott and Harvey.

It could be said that it's Harvey's right as editor to decide that Scott's ideas, and writing in general, were better than mine, and maybe he was even right. In that case though, why keep me on the series as co-writer? Scott could have transcribed his own dialogue into script form. No one needed me for that. I was hired as writer, and the series was being published with me listed as such even though there was little to nothing between the covers of the comic that came from me. Even worse, it was all material I didn't believe in, and thought was substandard fare that we'd seen in a million comic books before.

It was a miserable experience, which I tried to weather professionally, and see if I could turn back into my favor, but that never worked. I was also determined to stick with it out of loyalty to Dwayne McDuffie hoping that I could fix what was going very wrong with this series. I even voiced my unhappiness with Harvey Richards who promised me that the situation would change. When I received an email from Harvey telling me that he and Scott had been plotting out the series without me, after Harvey had promised me that I'd be back in the driver's seat as the writer, I'd had enough and quit. The experience as a whole was incredibly stressful, and I became physically ill just seeing an email in my inbox from either Harvey, or Scott.

My quitting was something that I spent a lot of time considering. It was while promoting the then forthcoming first issue that I first began to think about leaving. Even though I pushed the series, including here, where I posted the various villains in the days leading up to the issue #1 debut, my heart wasn't really in it. I avoided most interviews because I couldn't bring myself to lie about being enthusiastic about a book I had little to do with, and which I felt was not very good. I never announced the publication of any other issues for the same reason. I couldn't encourage anyone to buy them.

Again, it really came down to how this was affecting my professional reputation. No one outside of Harvey, Scott and myself knew what was really going on behind the scenes. When I saw that a lot of people were buying Static Shock because of how much they enjoyed my pervious series, Xombi, I felt that it was unethical and irresponsible for me to let them be deceived into buying something that I had made no real contribution to. I won't take credit for work that's not mine -- good, or bad. I also felt that after nearly two decades in the comic book industry and finally being recognized for my work with Xombi, I was unwilling to see that erased with Static Shock, which I felt was a mediocre comic book series, at best, a view which a lot of readers seemed to share, and blame me for.

I was stunned by how unprofessionally I was being treated by my editor, with whom I'd previously had nothing but a positive working relationship with for the bulk of my career in comics, and by Scott McDaniel, who seemed like a nice, personable guy, and the interactions he's had with his fans that I've read would indicate really is one. My negative experience was exclusively with these two people and not with anyone else at DC Comics, or with DC as a whole. As I said, no one knew any of this was happening until I quit and let the executives at DC know why. Anyone who wants to believe that my experience was some general DC policy would be wrong to think that. Bob Harras, Geoff Johns, Dan Didio, and Jim Lee did not tell Harvey Richards to reject all of my contributions on this. Harvey decided that, himself. All of my other experiences with a variety of people at DC going back to the 90s have been overwhelmingly positive. Again, they handled the situation, once I quit, rather well, I thought.

As a side note, some people read into my comment about looking for work from other publishers when I left Static Shock as some veiled hint that all was not good between DC and I. As anyone who freelances could tell you, new projects take months to reach the point where actual work is being done on them, and anyone is being paid. While I do have projects under consideration at DC, I'm still interested in working on other things. Since Static Shock, I've been concentrating my efforts on a project outside of comics which I can't announce yet, but was a nice change of pace. I'm still looking for things to do with other publishers as well, and am always willing to consider projects.

Static Shock did not get cancelled because DC has some racist motivation against minority characters, or the Milestone characters.Static Shock was cancelled, in my opinion, because it wasn't a good comic book. If it had been, people would have stuck with it, just as they have with Animal Man, who is a C-list character elevated by the talents of its creative team being allowed to do what they do best. DC wanted Static Shock to succeed as much as anyone did. They would never have started the series if they didn't think it had a chance to do so.

If you enjoy Static Shock, which by all means you have the right to do, then thank Harvey Richards and Scott McDaniel. They deserve full credit for everything you've read. Scott, constantly while rejecting my ideas and dialogue, would say he was doing it in an effort to put out the best comic book possible. I believe he was really trying to do that and was unfortunately saddled with me, a collaborator completely unsuited to his sensibility, and apparently unskilled enough to handle the task. From the first interviews supporting the launch of this series, I went out of my way to suggest that Scott was doing it almost single handedly. That wasn't me simply trying to be gracious. It was the truth.

If you hated the series, and like me, felt that it could have been something much more than it was, I'm sorry. Good, or bad. This is not the Static Shock that I had hoped it would be. It's not the way I would have written it. I hope this isn't the last time that Static will be given his own series. Even if he does manage to return, chances are high, I won't be writing it.

I don't plan to say anything else about this experience, and never had planned to say anything at all. Again, I'm just trying to correct assumptions made and preserve my professional reputation as a writer, and to keep people from making assumptions that my negative experience stemmed from some general policy at DC Comics. I plan to continue creating work for DC for as long as they'll let me."

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mercy_

WOW

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By fodigg

Too bad. And he should have come forward sooner, but then I guess he might hurt the sales of the character by speaking up. So double-bind. Bad situation.

Kastiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Kastiel

Well we know now it's not essentially DC's fault. 

Orttodrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Orttodrog

@The Dark Huntress: understatement

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

this is a real shame

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By the_tree

Sounds like he had great ideas. A huge shame.

WildStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WildStyle

Very interesting read man.

It's a shame what happened. I hope Static gets a better shot later on down the line.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By jrock85

Whoa.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By BatteredArmor

"To give credit where credit is due, my meager contributions to Static Shock amount to including Hardware, naming the school after Dwayne McDuffie, giving Virgil an after school job at S.T.A.R. labs, the Pale Man..."

Those were the only things I liked about this book, they really really needed to give this guy control of the series

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JonesDeini

@WildStyle: Indeed

@BlackArmor: You hit the nail on the head, folk. I was gonna stick the book out because as he said. It was being billed as HIS book from #5 onward. But when he announced he was leaving the book so went I. I applaud his professionalism for standing by the title and not making a scene. I also respect his loyalty to his friends memories and works. I think it's rather unfortunate that a book that essentially used his name to sale caused damage to his professional image.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

If this is the case, then it is a damn shame that it came to this. Unfortunately this is just one man's perspective on the matter, and being that I am an historian and am prone to realize that one can only understand things fully when one reads the problem from all points of view, I cannot exactly take this at total face value for what happened behind the scenes on this title. Many of you may disagree with me here, but we need to hear rebuttals from Harvey Richards or Scott McDaniel before we can believe all of this. It may seem wrong, but it is only right. Otherwise, we don't know the full story, only Rozum's point of view. Rozum is only human, and as humans we are all guilty of bias and personal opinion. Still seems sad though if this is the case though.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By danhimself

@The Dark Huntress said:

WOW

This. I keep on trying to put into words how reading this made me feel but I can't think of anything better than WOW

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RedheadedAtrocitus: There is no need. None. Perhaps the only detail I need is how something as a nuanced and irregularly dressed kid became a bland, Michael Jackson lookalike.

@JonesDeini: For the record, Animal Man is one of those reads where everyone says it's brilliant because it's expected of them. Then again, I got my opinions from my bourgeois father who thought Superman looked like a space communist hippie.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By InnerVenom123

I was freaked out at first and thought you were him. You should really add quote marks.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mega_spidey01

well i know why static shock was bad.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By N7

Jeez. Did Team Bondi start a comic studio or what?

Unfortunate is the perfect word for this tragedy.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheCrowbar

DC!

New Logo

Same Crap.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CATPANEXE

That's great he stood in the face of ridicule and let all this off his chest rather than carry it around. I'm sure he knows that after time the industry will say their version, and promote it as the truth, and his will become just the ramble of some kooky angry guy over time. Still has my props for not taking it lying down.

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By karrob

Damn

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

This isn't surprising to me. Hasn't it been reported that there were a number of creator-editorial problems at DC because of the new 52?

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JonesDeini

@sesquipedalophobe said:

@RedheadedAtrocitus: There is no need. None. Perhaps the only detail I need is how something as a nuanced and irregularly dressed kid became a bland, Michael Jackson lookalike.

@JonesDeini: For the record, Animal Man is one of those reads where everyone says it's brilliant because it's expected of them. Then again, I got my opinions from my bourgeois father who thought Superman looked like a space communist hippie.

What does Animal Man have to do with anything? But since you broached the topic, I absolutely love the book and it's easily one of the best books to come out of the reboot/on the current market period. I think Lemire is telling a great story, and expanding upon the foundations laid by Morrison/Delano with his own unique and interesting twists. Travel Foreman's art is pitch perfect and the color work by Kindzierski rounds out this book with a perfect creative team.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JonesDeini: Like what's-his-face said, add quotation marks. Animal Man just doesn't do anything for me (the art in particular), but those bearded fools at my comic shop won't shut up about it. It will lose its appeal.

Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
    GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

That's really unfortunate, Static could have been something special, but it was cut down by editorial and "shock and awe" tactics.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#24  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@The Dark Huntress said:

WOW

I got more of a, "Well dang." out of that...but "wow" works too :P

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JonesDeini

@GundamHeavyarms:

Indeed

Avatar image for monitor_earthprime
    monitor_earthprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the main problems I had was the fact that they moved it to New York. Static should have stayed in Dakota. I have all the Milestone comics, the cartoon series, and and autographed Static Shock TAS poster signed by the cast and Dwayne. If the series would have stayed in Dakota it could have had more guest appearances. I did love the fact that Hardware showed up and later on Technique and the fact that Static had a job at S.T.A.R. Labs. I will buy the rest of the series because I am a loyal Milestone fan, but the fact that the script was so wierd I will not miss it.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PassionFlower

I just read this, I tried to support the book but I too didn't find it very good. How frustrating.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JonesDeini

@PassionFlower said:

I just read this, I tried to support the book but I too didn't find it very good. How frustrating.

Word, and with recent events involving Liefeld (as always take with a grain of salt) and Perez on Superman it seems that this wasn't an isolated incident. Hopefully Rozum get's a shot on a title elsewhere or on other DC works. Dude's a great writer and can really craft great stories when given room to do so.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By fodigg

@JonesDeini said:

@PassionFlower said:

Word, and with recent events involving Liefeld (as always take with a grain of salt) and Perez on Superman it seems that this wasn't an isolated incident. Hopefully Rozum get's a shot on a title elsewhere or on other DC works. Dude's a great writer and can really craft great stories when given room to do so.

A telling difference between this and Liefeld's situation is that Rozum had clear concerns about being shut out of the writing process, and the feeling that he was there simply so they could cash in on his name and his work on Xombi, while Liefeld seemed to resent any attempts to edit his work at all. Absolutely there can be bad editors, and even decent or good editors who do poorly on a project, but if a writer is dismissing all of editing period then that tells me they just have an ego or a style that precludes them from being successful in the big-two format.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JonesDeini

@fodigg: Yeah, if you're going to speak about a work situation negatively in a public manner this is the way to go about it.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well damn.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.