Follow

Static

Character » Static appears in 185 issues.

Virgil Hawkins was exposed to a mutagenic gas that swept his city of Dakota, which gave him and other 'bang babies" superpowers. With the ability to control electromagnetism, Static joined the Teen Titans and continues to protect his city while serving on the team.

Static & Gear

• 99 results
    novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@novi_homines said:

@citizenbane said:

Lol at you people trying to create these irrelevant technicalities. It doesn't matter how Robin gained his popularity. He is, and always has been, far more popular than Static.

Of course. That cannot be disputed. I'm just saying that every robin is dependent on Batman in some way, without batman robin is nothing. Static's popularity does not have this dependency, and that also cannot be disputed.

It also does not matter one whit.

It does to some. This argument is irrelevant anyway.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#52  Edited By Teerack

It would be amazing if Gear actually existed.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I would love to see a well writen Static ongoing but we won't see it anytime soon.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@tdk_1997 said:

I would love to see a well writen Static ongoing but we won't see it anytime soon.

Sadly we could have had that... but the sheer level of idiocy of DC's editors put a stop to that.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By TDK_1997

@tdk_1997 said:

Sadly we could have had that... but the sheer level of idiocy of DC's editors put a stop to that.

That's life man.It's bad sometimes. :P

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

@jnr6lil:

The idea itself could work. But DC doesn't care about the Milestone characters.

that

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
    deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Didn't Blue Beetle ongoing cancelled,because it did not sell well and had an excellent creative team? So what do people think give another ongoing to Static Shock,would work?? Does anyone here actually read his comics in 90s or simply relies on innocent cartoon of 10 years ago, which has almost nothing to do with what Dwayne Mcduffie created(I know he's a personal few episodes, but had to be adapted to children)?? The stories were based on real issues in our society, about drugs, prostitution, pregnancy in adolescence .... and what people want are these children's stories.

I Dc doesn't care about Milestone,why they have bought the publisher years before?? Because the publisher was in bankruptcy and people didn't buy their comics and most likely their characters become public domain, in other words anyone could buy and use them as they see fit.

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By OutlawRenegade

I miss scenes like this:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The new book really does need stuff like that. I don't see why DC doesn't just get Robert Washington III to write this again... *Edit- I just found out that he passed away last year. Damn.

Static was Ultimate Spider-Man before Ultimate Spider-man. The humor, the heart, the action--perfection!

OutlawRenegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By OutlawRenegade
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By BlackWind

Am I to understand someone implied Static is too good to be a Teen Titan? Just because the book is bad right now doesn't mean he's above it.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Batman is popular, Robin isn't. Hence why we've never seen a Robin solo, series or movie. He's just the sidekick.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:

No Batman is popular, Robin isn't. Hence why we've never seen a Robin solo, series or movie. He's just the sidekick.

Are you by any chance familiar with Tim Drake? Since he's had 2 solo series, one as Robin and one as Red Robin. Not to mention Nightwing has also had his own book since the mid 90'ties.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@outside_85: Meant tv series, comics are irrelevant in popularity.

Shame really. Static had potential to be DC's Spider-Man.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: If a TV show is a sign of popularity, why did they give Green Arrow one?

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: 1. Arrow was in YJ, Smallville, & JLU.

2. They could make money off of Arrow, not off of Robin

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: 1. Robin's been in-costume in 2 movies, one pseudo-appearance of a third, just about every single animated series Batman has been in, nearly every single animated movie he's been, Teen Titans, Young Justice. Consider Green Arrow severely trumped in the appearance department.

2. Rubbish, they can make money out of anything.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: 1. Robin's been in-costume in 2 movies, one pseudo-appearance of a third, just about every single animated series Batman has been in, nearly every single animated movie he's been, Teen Titans, Young Justice. Consider Green Arrow severely trumped in the appearance department.

1. Only because of Batman

2. Only if it's marketable.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Outside_85

@jnr6lil said:

@outside_85 said:

1. Only because of Batman

2. Only if it's marketable.

1. And your point is? End of the Day Robin simply has more appearances.

2. Everything is marketable if approached from the right angle.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: And still hasn't had his own TV Series.

Not necessarily. A Gotham Central TV Show would never be marketable.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:

@outside_85: And still hasn't had his own TV Series.

Not necessarily. A Gotham Central TV Show would never be marketable.

Which isn't an indication of anything other than some TV buff thinking a particular idea could make some cash.

The only reason it wouldn't is because there's hundreds of police going.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@outside_85: What?

Robin hasn't had his own TV Serie,s because ther'es nothing popular about him other than he's the sidekich to Batman

No, it wouldn't work because no one cares for police in Gotham, they care about heroes & villains in Gotham.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73  Edited By lightsout

Didn't the new 52 retcon Virgil to have come from an affluent background? If so - bad move. Takes away from a lot of the reliability of the original character (not necessarily the poor-black kid part, but anyone who grew up poorer. Aside from some exceptions (Batman, Green Arrow - who both look out for the little-man), I prefer my heroes to come from humble-backgrounds.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By BlackWind

Depends on what you mesn by affluent. In the new 52 he now lives in Harlem, he isn't a rich kid or anything like that. However Virgil has always been middle class. But taking him out of Dakota was a massive mistake.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@blackwind: Oh, I never read any of them, just remember reading something on here about a big change in his character/background.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:

@outside_85: What?

Robin hasn't had his own TV Serie,s because ther'es nothing popular about him other than he's the sidekich to Batman

No, it wouldn't work because no one cares for police in Gotham, they care about heroes & villains in Gotham.

What a load of rubbish.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:

Are you actually serious?Robin has became popular even without being the sidekick of Batman.At first that's how he won his popularity but with time Tim had his own Robin book and then a Red Robin one and Dick had a Nightwing book and now he continues having his own solo book,the second volume of Nightwing.All of the Robins have became popular over the years on their own.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By novi_homines

@tdk_1997 said:

@jnr6lil said:

Are you actually serious?Robin has became popular even without being the sidekick of Batman.At first that's how he won his popularity but with time Tim had his own Robin book and then a Red Robin one and Dick had a Nightwing book and now he continues having his own solo book,the second volume of Nightwing.All of the Robins have became popular over the years on their own.

You can't gain popularity on your own, after being a batman sidekick. Thats like some sort of oxymoron. lol

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@tdk_1997 said:

@jnr6lil said:

When I say popularity, I mean popularity outside of comics.

But if you even want to use the comic book argument, I'm sure all those books were connected to Batman in some sort of fashion.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, Static had a book early on in the New 52, cancelled to make room for new titles in the second wave. It had potential to be a strong book, but it never quite got there. I think the character definitely belongs in a series as a regular. Perhaps as an Outsider? After being part of an established team, he could get another book with Gear, just as Vibe did in 'Justice League of America's Vibe.'

I like this.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't ever read Outsiders so correct me if I'm.wrong. But isn't that the team you go to when you don 't fit the mold of other groups? Why should Static go there? Sure TT is bad at the moment but surely it won't always be.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Static should get some of his old rogues gallery back : Hotstreak, Ebon

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:

@tdk_1997 said:

@jnr6lil said:

When I say popularity, I mean popularity outside of comics.

But if you even want to use the comic book argument, I'm sure all those books were connected to Batman in some sort of fashion.

Well of course after all the years they have been the sidekicks of Batman they have become more popular like that but after time they continued having lots of fans outside the sidekick circle you are mentioning.You said that Batman 's popular but Robin isn't,the fact that people know him as Batman's sidekick and actually know about him and have seen in almost every DC animated Series means that he is popular.

Out of all of the Robin related books,Robin was most connected to Batman.Nightwing was about how Dick was becoming a character and a hero of his own,Red Robin first was about Tim trying to find what happened with Batman when he disappeared but after that it just became his solo book.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: And I'm sure in his solo book, he was still connected to Batman. They've been in almost every DCAU because they're connected to Batman. But they've never gotten a solo series, because there's no market for them without Batman.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: DC have been trying over the years to make all of the Robins popular outside the Batman Universe and they have succeeded and failed at the same time.The characters have proven to be interesting and relateable to stand on their own but they have failed because there were still people like you that considered then only as sidekicks and nothing more.They could have been way more if there were more people that believed that they should be on their own like Dick and not to be run over because they are not popular and important if Batman's not around.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Probably because all of them have been still connected to Batman in the books. Fighting his rogues, teaming up, having the stories still have some focus on him.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: Well of course they have to start from somewhere,they can't just jump on in their own book with new villains that nobody has ever heard of.They have to start from the point where all people will recognize everybody and will know what exactly is happening.But all old Robins have outgrown the part when they were sidekicks,people will remember it but they know Dick as Nightwing and really fastly Tim as Red Robin and of course Jason as Red Hood.They have all been Batman's sidekicks and they have been under the mantle of Robin but they are their own heroes and characters right now.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@tdk_1997: Aligned with him, and fighting his villains. I'm not convinced they're removed fully from the Batman mythos. They're at this point, Batman allies, not their own heroes.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By TDK_1997

@jnr6lil: Okay,I'm done arguing about Robin's popularity and my head hurts,so here is the conclusion - everyone has his own opinion and you clearly think that they are not popular outside the Batman Universe and I clearly think the otherwise.Let's just put things to rest and you think on your own way and I think in my own way.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: No it's a fact.

1. Having your own comic book series doesn't determine popularity. Comic books is a niche audience

2. They aren't popular outside the Batman universe. None of them have their own established rogues galleries or allies. Even in their solo series, they were helping Batman, and fighting his villains.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

The real sad thing is that Static will probably get a book again someday, but Gear will probably never exist in the DC or anywhere else outside of the cartoon -_-

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: To have a solo ongoing isn't the only thing that proves that you are popular,if you can keep it at the top and keep your book on the shelves it means that you are popular.None of the books that were Robin ongoings weren't cancelled and existed quite a lot of time which is great.

Also Nightwing in his own book made a lot of his own enemies and currently at the New 52 he keeps things going.First there was Saiko and now it's the Prankster who we still haven't seen enough of him.
    Tim also made himself some villains that were connected to Ra's al Ghul but they had nothing in common with Batman and they wanted Tim.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Iron Man had a solo series. He wasn't popular until RDJ.

Not notable villains. Are they remembered?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: Iron Man has always been popular but just not as much as Spider-Man,Captain AMerica,Wolverine or Cyclops.He was one of the original AVengers and there are a lot of people that knew him and liked him even outside the comic book world.He even had an animated show which didn't last long but he still had it,with it he forced his popularity a little bit.

Well there weren't any super popular villains that everyone knows about but they were still part of Dick or Tim's rogues gallery.Not every single person should remember their names or how they look like or what are their powers if they are not interested in the characters.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: No, It's fact, Iron Man wasn't a marquee hero until RDJ.

No, because generally speaking only Gotham fans would still remember those villains.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: Well he was popular but not that many people actually knew about him.

People that don't read comic books only need the slight information that someone has his own ongoing and they assume right away that he is popular and he has a villain or two.SO the same stays for the Robins but they have the advantage that they are famous with Batman also.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been thinking recently, Static in the reboot has been shown to be pretty brainy. Which I like. However Gear's power itself is his brains, and I'm comfortable thinking he has an intelligence edge on Stagic. And I'vd no doubt if he was integrated into the comics he'd have developed technopathy too one day. But anyway, does anyone think if they did get a comic together Virgil's intelligence should center in a specific scientific field?

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Which is popular

Except popularity in the comic world isn't popularity.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

DC said in one of their conventions that they have something planned for static. Don't know what it is though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.