Follow

Static

Character » Static appears in 185 issues.

Virgil Hawkins was exposed to a mutagenic gas that swept his city of Dakota, which gave him and other 'bang babies" superpowers. With the ability to control electromagnetism, Static joined the Teen Titans and continues to protect his city while serving on the team.

New Static Book? (What if)

StatFan201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StatFan201

If you were making a new Static book how would you do it?

Who would you hire as writer and artist and why?

What direction would you take the new series?

Would you move him back to Dakota?

Would you change his costume back to one of the former ones?

IMO : I asked the first question because I am not sure which writers and artists are considered good in the comic book industry. The only way I could answer this one is that I would get a writer who gets and likes the character to write him. Preferably someone affiliated with Milestone.

I would place him back in Dakota, and start with his origin (Big Bang) for new readers, but would add some new details for old readers. I would definitely change his costume back to his original, because his latest one in my opinion made him look like a Booster Gold rip-off.

Any other ideas?

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#2  Edited By Black_Claw

I would first of all send him back to Dakota, have his costume be like the one from the show, and have some villains from the show like Ebon show up.

titanjoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By titanjoc

@StatFan201: For a new static book if i could pick anyone to work on it i would get Brian Michael Bendis (Ultimate Comics All New Spider-Man) to write and Sara Pichelli (Ultimate Comics All New Spider-Man) to draw because the work that they are doing on Ultimate Comics All New Spider-Man is amazing. And the switch for them making a Spider-Man comic to a Static comic won't be to hard since Static is like a DC version of Spider-Man.

I would take a new direction with the book and make it a superhero/hood.Which is similar to how the original comic was. I would make the new book a combo of both the original comic and the show. Such as include both Fredia and Richy as Virgil's best friends. Include villains from the show like Ebon and make new ones. Have Ricky eventually become gear like he did on the show.

HELL YES I would move him back to Dakota. All his other supporting characters and other milestone characters are there so I would move him back there to include them. Such as having static occasionally co feature Hardware, Dusk, Icon and Rocket.

I would give him and updated outfit of his uniform he wore in the original comics to start then, have him switch to an updated uniform that he wore on the show. He would only wear his original outfit for just a short time since most people prefer the outfit from the show.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Black_Claw

@StatFan201: Okay, I think I should do a more detailed description of how I would do a new Static book.

1. Move Him back to Dakota

Honestly, what made Scott Mcdaniel think it was a good idea to take Static away from his hometown and move him to New York?! One the golden rules about writing a good superhero story to me is that you should never ever EVER relocate a hero from his/her city. And for those of you who don't get why I was so pissed off about this change, I'll provide an example for you. Can you imagine Superman being relocated from Metropolis to Las Vegas or Batman being relocated from Gotham to Dallas? Yeah didn't think so.

Static should stay in Dakota and the only times when he should leave is when he has duties with the Teen Titans or when a world affecting event pops up.

2. Build Up a Solid Rogues gallery

One of the many reasons why I have preferred Static to other Milestone heroes such as Icon or Hardware, is because Static always had the most interesting villains. And as I have stated numerous times, one of the things I would do is to bring in villains from the show as well as bringing back Milestone villains such as Holocaust, Puff, Coil, Commando X and Bubbasaurus.

No Caption Provided

Ebon is going to be Statics arch nemesis and since you get away with a lot more stuff in comics than you can in TV shows, Ebon is going to be a hell of a lot more dangerous than the cartoon would allow. And on top of that he's going to be a lot more powerful as well. The members of the Meta-Breed, as in the show will be Talon, Shiv, and Hotstreak. And an additional member to bring the group to a solid number of 5 can be a rather obscure Milestone villain such as Power Fist. I don't know much about this guy myself but he looks pretty cool and he can serve as the "muscle" of the breed and with proper care, he can turn out to be a pretty solid character.

And while we're on the subject of Hotstreak, he can be a rather on and off member of the breed. And I've always pictured him having a Megatron-Starscream like relationship with Ebon. I'd also bring back his super speed from the old comics, and like the other villains, he's going to be more powerful and dangerous.

Lastly, I'd also like to bring in Edwin Alva as a rouge of Static. I know that he was usually a Hardware villain, but hey this dude is arguably one of the most powerful and influential figures in Dakota, and he has tons of untapped potential for awesome storylines. Alva can be portrayed as a corrupt CEO (similar to Lex Luthor) who has an intense hatred of Bang Babies and is secretly doing everything in his power to get rid of them. This because the big bang has put an ever growing stain on his reputation, and the fact that most of the people who survived the big bang have become villains makes things even worse for Edwin. And just like in the show, Edwin's son can be turned into stone but the twist is that Edwin can blame Static for this and now he'll do everything in his power to hunt Static and every other bang baby down.

3. Flesh out character relationships and add something to Static's overall motivation for being a hero.

Richie Foley/Gear will be Static's best friend just like he was in the show along with Frieda and Daisy. Frieda and Richie are the only ones that know Static's secret identity however.

There can also be a bit of a love triangle going on between Virgil, Daisy and Frieda. Another thing I would do is keep both of Static's parents alive like in the comic. I'm sorry but I feel that the whole "dead parents/family members" thing is seriously becoming a cliche among superheroes. Don't believe me?

Superman: Dead Parents (well biological parents at least)

Batman: Dead Parents

Green Lantern: Dead Father

Spiderman: Dead Uncle and Parents

Dick Grayson: Dead Parents

Cyborg: Dead Mother

Flash: Dead Father

Aquaman: Dead Father

You see where I'm going with this? So yeah, definitely going with both of Static's parents being alive on this one.

But another angle I would add to the story is to have Static have more than one motivation to be a hero. Sure one reason he wanted to become a hero is to help out his city with the gang problem but another motivation Static can have for being a hero is to save his City from dying. Dakota is based off of Detroit, and other than the Auto Industry being revived over there, the city hasn't been doing so hot recently. It's currently in a recession (at least that's what I've been hearing), the population has been declining due to people moving out of the city in large numbers, and of course, it's plagued with criminal activity.

All the stuff that's going on with Detroit right now can influence Static's new book. The story can be that Dakota hasn't been doing well ever since Static moved away. It's going through a recession at the moment, people have been fleeing the city because of the fact that Bang Baby gangs are now larger and more powerful than ever, with Ebon and Holocausts respective gangs being the largest and they are currently caught in a turf war for the city. Horrified by the state Dakota is in, Virgil Hawkins needs to don the costume, team up with old Allies such as Gear and She-Bang, and save Dakota from becoming hell on earth.

I think all the stuff I mentioned could make for a really good Static ongoing.

wisesonAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By wisesonAC

@Black_Claw said:

@StatFan201: Okay, I think I should do a more detailed description of how I would do a new Static book.

1. Move Him back to Dakota

Honestly, what made Scott Mcdaniel think it was a good idea to take Static away from his hometown and move him to New York?! One the golden rules about writing a good superhero story to me is that you should never ever EVER relocate a hero from his/her city. And for those of you who don't get why I was so pissed off about this change, I'll provide an example for you. Can you imagine Superman being relocated from Metropolis to Las Vegas or Batman being relocated from Gotham to Dallas? Yeah didn't think so.

Static should stay in Dakota and the only times when he should leave is when he has duties with the Teen Titans or when a world affecting event pops up.

2. Build Up a Solid Rogues gallery

One of the many reasons why I have preferred Static to other Milestone heroes such as Icon or Hardware, is because Static always had the most interesting villains. And as I have stated numerous times, one of the things I would do is to bring in villains from the show as well as bringing back Milestone villains such as Holocaust, Puff, Coil, Commando X and Bubbasaurus.

No Caption Provided

Ebon is going to be Statics arch nemesis and since you get away with a lot more stuff in comics than you can in TV shows, Ebon is going to be a hell of a lot more dangerous than the cartoon would allow. And on top of that he's going to be a lot more powerful as well. The members of the Meta-Breed, as in the show will be Talon, Shiv, and Hotstreak. And an additional member to bring the group to a solid number of 5 can be a rather obscure Milestone villain such as Power Fist. I don't know much about this guy myself but he looks pretty cool and he can serve as the "muscle" of the breed and with proper care, he can turn out to be a pretty solid character.

And while we're on the subject of Hotstreak, he can be a rather on and off member of the breed. And I've always pictured him having a Megatron-Starscream like relationship with Ebon. I'd also bring back his super speed from the old comics, and like the other villains, he's going to be more powerful and dangerous.

Lastly, I'd also like to bring in Edwin Alva as a rouge of Static. I know that he was usually a Hardware villain, but hey this dude is arguably one of the most powerful and influential figures in Dakota, and he has tons of untapped potential for awesome storylines. Alva can be portrayed as a corrupt CEO (similar to Lex Luthor) who has an intense hatred of Bang Babies and is secretly doing everything in his power to get rid of them. This because the big bang has put an ever growing stain on his reputation, and the fact that most of the people who survived the big bang have become villains makes things even worse for Edwin. And just like in the show, Edwin's son can be turned into stone but the twist is that Edwin can blame Static for this and now he'll do everything in his power to hunt Static and every other bang baby down.

3. Flesh out character relationships and add something to Static's overall motivation for being a hero.

Richie Foley/Gear will be Static's best friend just like he was in the show along with Frieda and Daisy. Frieda and Richie are the only ones that know Static's secret identity however.

There can also be a bit of a love triangle going on between Virgil, Daisy and Frieda. Another thing I would do is keep both of Static's parents alive like in the comic. I'm sorry but I feel that the whole "dead parents/family members" thing is seriously becoming a cliche among superheroes. Don't believe me?

Superman: Dead Parents (well biological parents at least)

Batman: Dead Parents

Green Lantern: Dead Father

Spiderman: Dead Uncle and Parents

Dick Grayson: Dead Parents

Cyborg: Dead Mother

Flash: Dead Father

Aquaman: Dead Father

You see where I'm going with this? So yeah, definitely going with both of Static's parents being alive on this one.

But another angle I would add to the story is to have Static have more than one motivation to be a hero. Sure one reason he wanted to become a hero is to help out his city with the gang problem but another motivation Static can have for being a hero is to save his City from dying. Dakota is based off of Detroit, and other than the Auto Industry being revived over there, the city hasn't been doing so hot recently. It's currently in a recession (at least that's what I've been hearing), the population has been declining due to people moving out of the city in large numbers, and of course, it's plagued with criminal activity.

All the stuff that's going on with Detroit right now can influence Static's new book. The story can be that Dakota hasn't been doing well ever since Static moved away. It's going through a recession at the moment, people have been fleeing the city because of the fact that Bang Baby gangs are now larger and more powerful than ever, with Ebon and Holocausts respective gangs being the largest and they are currently caught in a turf war for the city. Horrified by the state Dakota is in, Virgil Hawkins needs to don the costume, team up with old Allies such as Gear and She-Bang, and save Dakota from becoming hell on earth.

I think all the stuff I mentioned could make for a really good Static ongoing.

Dude! excellent points and i highly agree with alot said. to go point by point with you.(your numbers 1=1 etc.

1.that was my biggest gripe of the book. Static needs to stay in Dakota.end of story.(also could lead into other milestone characters getting books) its getting to the point where i just wish DC would do a book kinda like DC presents but set in Dakota where we have a revolving caste of protagonists etc. that could flesh out Dakota and show potential interest in spin offs, i know its unlikely but i miss Icon and Rocket, Hardware, The Blood Syndacate, Xombie, Shadow Cabinet etc i think with the right developing teams they can come out of the 90's and be relevant again.Honestly,something like that shouldn't even be necessary i thought after milestone forever we would see you know WAY better inclusion of the milestone universe in DC comics all i have seen is a piss poor effort on DC's part. oh the wasted chances and potential...

2. i agree, static always had great villains a better rouges gallery than most gave him credit for.a good mixture of the comics villains and shows villains we will see the tv show villains live up to their potential. for example as you said Ebon. in the comics he can be 10x as sinister,and use his powers in ways you cant use in a kids show. He could be a main stay and really push static to his limits. and also the comics villains will have a chance for more exposure and i would honestly love a little cohesion between them. with that being said, the meta breed could really be a big threat to static maybe he might need back up. (just an excuse to see rocket lol) . we could even see tension between the "villians" of paris island the Blood syndicate and the meta breed. Wiseson Vs. Ebon would be Epic!

my only thing i dis agree with is keep ewin alva a specific hardware villain. Just seems right. maybe a on again off again thing with static.

3.i agree with what you said about his supporting cast and parents. i just have to add Dusk. she has to be in there. she was a really important Character i my opinion. her methods juxtaposed with statics beliefs would make a good internal conflict and would make static stronger.

and i like that angle. its something that would get him back to Dakota and is engaging. and Dakota is based off of Detroit? any source?

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By arnoldoaad

@StatFan201 said:

If you were making a new Static book how would you do it?

Who would you hire as writer and artist and why?

What direction would you take the new series?

Would you move him back to Dakota?

Would you change his costume back to one of the former ones?

IMO : I asked the first question because I am not sure which writers and artists are considered good in the comic book industry. The only way I could answer this one is that I would get a writer who gets and likes the character to write him. Preferably someone affiliated with Milestone.

I would place him back in Dakota, and start with his origin (Big Bang) for new readers, but would add some new details for old readers. I would definitely change his costume back to his original, because his latest one in my opinion made him look like a Booster Gold rip-off.

Any other ideas?

if is a new ongoing I would just ignore everything that happen before, lets start fresh, Full Retcon

creative team?

not sure myself

direction, just 3 things

the first 4 issues need to deal with his origin and keep everything that made Static interesting, first issue starts with virgil, his family and their situation and what makes him join the gang, then w move to the gang itself on the second issue, the tentation, the future enemies, the dark side basically and it ends with the big bang, 3rd issue he discovers his powers and use them for himself, 4th issue he decides to be a hero.

For the rest just focus on him as an every day boy in a tough situation, approached by drugs, sex, gangs all of that and use it well and mix it with the superheroing

costume, make it a new one that makes sense and doesnt look like crap, black and blue as main colors, and not as much yellow as the last ones had, use yellow only for the static symbol.

and yeah, place him on Dakota and start with Big Bang, there is absolutely no need to place him on New York, it was an stupid idea then and is still stupid

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Black_Claw

@wisesonAC: Just look on Milestone's info page and you'll see that it's based off of Detroit.

wisesonAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wisesonAC

@Black_Claw: i didnt see it it just said."The Milestone universe featured a large and diverse cast of characters that reflected the real world in ways many comic companies had never done. Mostly centered around the fictional mid-west, working class city of Dakota, many the "Dakotaverse" characters' origins were connected to "The Big Bang". "

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Twentyfive

I love threads like this. I did one for the larger Milestone universe, but I don't mind doing it again here.

Let me see... I don't think I'm going to answer the questions in sequential order. I am just going to write as it comes to me.

First and foremost, I would move him back to Dakota. I would retcon the whole thing about him moving to NYC. There is going to be a branch of S.T.A.R. Labs there for him to intern at when school is out. There, he will be connected to the rest of the DCU at large. I would change up the scenario of the Big Bang a little bit. The Big Bang will be an event that occurred on the southside of Paris Island (let's say near the water reservoirs) in Dakota City that instead of affecting only those within the vicinity of the gang war, will affect millions in Dakota City. The Quantum Juice could permeate the air and the water supply in the city after the war, creating what the news stations refer to as a chemical outbreak of "possibly Biblical proportions." People throughout Dakota City would breathe and drink small, yet sufficient enough amounts of the Quantum Juice to possibly have the DNA altered to the point of having a meta-gene. Ninety percent and up of the entire population is said to have possibly consumed the substance, meaning millions of potentially super-powered individuals.

Of course, it won't get to that, as only a small percentage of those affected will manifest powers, but it could be interesting to see new villains and heroes all over the DCU with origins that can be traced back to Dakota City.

This is where Virgil Hawkins comes in. He is a 16 year old High Schooler who is both book smart and street smart. He uses his book smarts to stay ahead in school, and his street smarts to make sure he's on top outside the classroom. He knows how to stay on the good side of almost anyone. Almost anyone. On the night of the gang war that caused the Big Bang, two thugs jump Virgil without warning on his way home from S.T.A.R. Labs one night near the harbor which is where the Q-Juice is located at the time. The explosion causes many deaths, and many in close proximity of the blast and were exposed to higher concentrations of the toxin were horribly mutated. Hawkins escapes from the scene with his life, and is not mutated. Instead, about a month later, he starts to manifest his electrifying powers. He breaks the news to his two best friends, Richie and Frieda.

After the first 2 arcs, Richie should develop his super intellect that he is famous for. As for Frieda and Daisy, I say he should end up with one of them after the other falls for another dude. Make it a love quadrangle. Other Bang Babies should show up like Rubber Band Man, Ebon, Puff&Onyx and Hotstreak, along with some new villains and allies. Holocaust should make a return too. RBM and Gear can join Static occasionally is various stories. e should have a female companion.

I like the idea of his dad having a community center, so that should stay. I think I am going to post ideas for Static stories later on.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Black_Claw

@wisesonAC: My bad, I meant to say go to Dakota's page.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BlackWind

@Twentyfive: I like the idea of Dakota having a STAR Lab branch.

Would you have Hotstreak remain a racist?

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Twentyfive

@BlackWind: No. I think that will turn off a lot of readers. I don't think I would handle sensitive topics like racism the way that the show and the comic did. Instead, I might make him one of those bullies that we too often read and hear about in the news that makes someone like Richie contemplate suicide (because he is gay), and find a meaningful way to resolve that. I am glad that last year the comic industry has been trying it's best to paint a realistic picture of the United States. Having someone like Richie who is smart, and persistent in the face of people like Hotstreak might help further uplift the spirits of those who are bullied because of things like sexual preferences. I am not quite sure how readers would handle racism right now, so he will just remain a bully.

What I would do is provide the reading audience with the urban, inner city flavor that is missing in comics today. It would feel more hip-hop-ish. I want people to read Static Shock and say "wow this is a cool black hero" and not "he's a cool hero that happens to be black" if that makes any sense. He needs his own identity.

How would you go about something like that? Something that may polarize fans? I am afraid I am not so bold yet.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Black_Claw

Those are some good ideas Twentyfive. I'd also try to give Talon some more depth by having her as the reluctant villain. The series finale of the cartoon showed that Talon wasn't truly evil, she was basically forced into the gang life because of what the Big Bang did to her appearance. The comic can show that she's not completely evil like her partners by doing stuff like not killing Static when she has him at her mercy or showing sympathy to people who are insecure about their appearance.

wisesonAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wisesonAC

@Twentyfive:

Good points, but if we can talk about bullying and homophobia(dealing with rick being gay) then why cant we handle racism? You know i don't mean it being so gung ho and brazen that could offend and turn away readers. everything from sexism, racism etc etc is incredibly more subtle than it has been in previous years i think the book could tackle real subjects like that in a tactful and tasteful way.

on another note, i like the idea for a hip hop feel. it could really work if done in the right way.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Black_Claw

I agree. A racism story would also be a great opportunity to bring in Commando X. That guy has an unbelievable amount of potential.

wisesonAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wisesonAC

@Black_Claw: Yes! he could be a great villlian to bring back. i loved the way he was handled in the comics. a more modern version could be very interesting.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Black_Claw

Yeah, and Holocaust should be given a big role among statics rogues gallery since he was arguably the biggest villain in the old milestone comics.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Twentyfive

@wisesonAC: You are right. I guess eventually, racism might be an issue I could take up, but be subtle about it like you said. It is best not to be in-your-face about it.

Yeah if an author is willing to talk about homophobia, they should talk about racism. Another thing I was thinking to avoid is a love triangle between Frieda, Virgil and Daisy. I might have it Daisy, Virgil and someone new, or Frieda, Virgil and someone else, or maybe (and more interestingly), Virgil, one of the girls, and some other dude. I'm just saying it as it comes to me lol.

wisesonAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wisesonAC

@Black_Claw: i agree. i bigger role would be nice.

@Twentyfive: i also suggest no love triangle. i honestly think he should be with dusk or rocket. but thats just me

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Black_Claw

I personally think he belongs with daisy, but hey, opinions. I also would expand his social clique. He can be seen hanging with Daisy, Frieda, Richie and Larry Wade (until he gets killed in a drive by like in the comics).

wisesonAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wisesonAC

i almost cried when he died, and him knowing virgil was static made it even sadder.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Black_Claw

@wisesonAC: I wonder how tht scene would be handled in a reboot of the cartoon.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Twentyfive

@wisesonAC: Rocket for sure! She needs more love, especially since she was considered interesting enough to be included in DC Nation. But that would retcon her status as the first (I think it was) teen mom in comics. Even before Stephanie Brown... (How do I sound? Lol.) They should do a whole story about that. Anyway, I have a whole other story for Rocket and Icon.

But these days, I'm thinking Rocket would be a great candidate for a solo book. Love triangles are played out, which is why I don't really want one between Virgil and his friends.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Black_Claw

@Twentyfive: Actually rocket does make a cameo in the early issues of Justice League, she's was the one who introduced Wonder Woman to ice cream.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Black_Claw

BUMP

Just curious. Who would you guys want to write a new Static book and who should be the artist?

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Twentyfive

@black_claw: I would distort the fabric of spacetime, and have Brian Michael Bendis write Static with probably Mahmud Asrar on art. His art was what made me a N52 Supergirl fan. One of my favorite books last year.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Twentyfive: Actually rocket does make a cameo in the early issues of Justice League, she's was the one who introduced Wonder Woman to ice cream.

REALLY? Where are the scans!!!? I must see it!

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Black_Claw

@twentyfive: I'll search the web. Give me a minute.

EDIT: Here, you go. I think this is Raquel.

No Caption Provided

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw: Aww man. How could I have forgotten that scan? I hope this is the same Raquel. She would probably be a teen by now, and old enough to join the Titans, if DC hasn't forgotten her by now.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twentyfive: Only question is, do you think she'll still be a mom in the new 52? She is famous for being the first teenage mother in comic books.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw: Nope. Welcome to the New 52. The dumber, more out-of-touch DC reality! Not that I am saying that teenage pregnancy is "so in right now," or anything, because that is a stupid thing to imply. What I mean is from a story perspective, they are dropping the ball, and they are failing to connect with the very audience they cater to.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

I would have Christopher Priest write, and Kenneth Rocafort pencil.

I would keep him in New York, and keep the new costume. Not that it would stay that way in the long run, but I think it would be helpful to the continuity to have some of what the previous run did stick for a while. I liked the idea of Static being DC's Spider-Man, so I wouldn't change much about the character, I would just have him in situations and fighting villains that were a little more well thought out than in his New 52 solo. I think it might be fun to pit him against an organization like H.I.V.E.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Twentyfive

@nappystr8: Awesome. I have no idea why Priest didn't come to my feeble mind. He's an awesome writer, especially for a character like Static.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twentyfive: That's especially true with the "Young Justice" books. Every last one of them got axed due to having incompetent writers and now Teen Titans is the only surviving one, and not even that is really that great!

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nappystr8: Those sound like good ideas! But I'm going to have to disagree with you about the staying in New York thing. I know you said it'll only be around for a little while but as I said in a previous post, I'd move him back to Dakota immediately. And personally I hate the new costume, but hey different strokes for different blokes. I respect your ideas though.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw: My friend, who is a staunch DC fan, looked at the first solicit for Young Avengers, and dismissed it as Marvel's attempt to counter DC's teen heroes.

Now it looks like DC needs to do the very same thing against Marvel, and make Teen Titans not only accessible, but fun.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twentyfive: If that's not irony I don't know what is. lol

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Static should just join the Titans and greatly increase it's sales.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

@black_claw: The great thing about being back in Dakota, is that you could go back into the characters rouges gallery. Where with New York it would be really hard to write those characters in. And Dakota is a great fictional city for sure.

@twentyfive: I'm not surprised Priest would slip your mind. He has been woefully missing from the industry for a while now. I was having a hard time thinking of anyone currently at DC who would be a good fit though. Usually my go to answer is Lemire across the board, but I wonder if it might be too far out of his comfort zone.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all, I would put Virgil back in Dakota where he belongs. Second, I would re-do the entire Big Bang. One of the problems with new 52 Staguc is that there wasn't a great deal of explaining his past. Static hadn't had a book in years, and the cartoon is over 10 years old. Third, I would have him trying to balance his life as Static and Virgil, with both Frieda and Richie as his best friends and confidants. And Static wouldn't be fighting any Tron bike riding, Power Rangers themed street punks. He'd be facing off against criminal metahumans. Personally, I'd have his mother be dead the way the cartoon did it, because me, I loved Robert Hawkins in the animated series. That dude was Ma and Pa Kent level.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all, I would put Virgil back in Dakota where he belongs. Second, I would re-do the entire Big Bang. One of the problems with new 52 Staguc is that there wasn't a great deal of explaining his past. Static hadn't had a book in years, and the cartoon is over 10 years old. Third, I would have him trying to balance his life as Static and Virgil, with both Frieda and Richie as his best friends and confidants. And Static wouldn't be fighting any Tron bike riding, Power Rangers themed street punks. He'd be facing off against criminal metahumans. Personally, I'd have his mother be dead the way the cartoon did it, because me, I loved Robert Hawkins in the animated series. That dude was Ma and Pa Kent level.

Also we can bring in villains like Ebon and Shiv from the show and revamp them so they can be more dangerous in the comics.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@wisesonac: Especially since Static seemed to have a thing for white girls lol. Have X as this uber Afrocentric fool who is revealed to actually have several mixed children through his various indiscretions with white women, and actually cares less about blacks then the racists he attacks. You could have him be a relative of Muhammad X from Superman and also have Commando X be used to touch on subjects such as the Trayvon Martin incident.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wisesonac: Especially since Static seemed to have a thing for white girls lol. Have X as this uber Afrocentric fool who is revealed to actually have several mixed children through his various indiscretions with white women, and actually cares less about blacks then the racists he attacks. You could have him be a relative of Muhammad X from Superman and also have Commando X be used to touch on subjects such as the Trayvon Martin incident.

That sounds interesting. Almost reminds me of how Amon was revealed to be a waterbender at the end of the first season of Legend of Korra.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@black_claw: It's interesting, so don't expect DC to do it

iconrocket123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yo in my opinion..virg goes home and he ends up getting that horrible vibe u get when u leave ur home and come back and it looks like sht..he finds out that ebon,holocaust, and wiseson have been having a turf war...he then sees hotstreak and tarmack fighting with bad betty and the sons of odin on the side..he changes into his old costume and takes them all down with some new tricks....he realizes tha his costume is"outdated" and he changes it up by making the fork lightning yellow....he goes out fist covered in electrical power and yells"static is back, and since u started some u gonna get some!" he then flashesback to his incident of"the big bang" then, he confronts icon and hardware, getting them on board with getting back out there and fighting the good fight..on the way home, he gets ambushed by holocaust and bubbasaur.. rocket intervenes and knocks bubba out..holocaust sees this and retreats..leaving the two teen heroes to conversate..in the end, static gets back to business and takes down a crew of gang bangers...edwin alva , pissed that his son is nearly catonic in stone, wants static dead for unexplained reasons..hardware/curtis metcalf figures this out, meanwhile icon ends up getting into costume when his maid, christina gets killed by one of ebon's meta-thugs..he deals with him, and calls rocket over....back to curtis, he updates his suit and goes out and fights and battles a few metas and system fools....(all this creates a chance or path way to bring back milestone in the dcu)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a08a02678f1f
    deactivated-5a08a02678f1f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, I have a series of what if questions for you all.

What if hell froze over?

What if DC's editorial staff wasn't full of degenerate retards?

What if Static didn't like white girls?

What if Static's villains actually had half decent names?

What if people didn't always mistake Static as being Black Lightning's son, simply on basis of their shared ethnicity and control of electricity?

What if DC didn't milk the ever loving shit out of Batman and Superman, while leaving characters with potential (like Static) on the back burner?

Now, I want you to visualize this reality... that is so much different from ours. Why, you ask?

Because it is in this same reality that we would ever have hope of another Static book, or a revival of the character in any way, shape, or form.

I really wish McDuffie was still alive to create a few more stories with Static.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiryu: The only hope I have for Static being revived now is a movie or tv show. But even that's unlikely since DC is hellbent on Cybirg being their top Black character.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a08a02678f1f
    deactivated-5a08a02678f1f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw: And I hear they have a mulatto Wally West now? WTF?

I guess that's one way to really put his title as "the FASTEST Flash" in perspective...

kasino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kasino

I miss Milestone. Static/Xombi/Icon/Rocket/Hardware/Blood Syndicate/Wise all worth getting into.

Dakota City needs to be brought back the use of the DC fictional cities be used more. I love NY but it really isn't needed in DC, at all. Washington DC the only one and only because of the White House.

I don't want the characters being the only one talking on major subjects...100% against that

Wildstorm got the shaft as well but they're being used more.

I'm very DC but I admit they don't use 99% of their characters. its the League(their mini-me's) and nothing else. They even feature the League in top 7 ongoings instead of lesser known/from other publication characters. Make the lesser known major supporting cast(team) for the top 7. Flash can't be the leader to Hardware/Grifter etc.

Static is young with a multi-racial cast, known because of the show which shown a great group of foes(Big bang and Gen-Active not used in the DCU) in a city that doesn't resemble NY or LA.

anyway wanna see something funny

@twentyfive: I'll search the web. Give me a minute.

EDIT: Here, you go. I think this is Raquel.

No Caption Provided

Loading Video...

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiryu: Were you in a dream when you wrote that? There are no other characters in DC other than...THE BATMAN!

Everyone is is just...around... kinda.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.