Follow

Static

Character » Static appears in 185 issues.

Virgil Hawkins was exposed to a mutagenic gas that swept his city of Dakota, which gave him and other 'bang babies" superpowers. With the ability to control electromagnetism, Static joined the Teen Titans and continues to protect his city while serving on the team.

My Thoughts on DC Comics

StatFan201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StatFan201

At this point in time I feel like fans of characters besides Batman and Superman (especially Batman) are being fed a pipe dream. Every time someone asks a question about less promoted characters ;let me use Static as an example since this is being posted to the Static page, we get a run around answer that I'm beginning to think is not an answer at all but more a 'let me say something so they'll shut up' response.

Here is my main problem with DC Comics : They don't seem to seriously try anything different.

Now, one could argue that they are simply sticking to what works which is fine, but that seems to be almost all they do. For example, Wonder Woman is the most well-known female superhero and one of the most well-known superheroes period. So, why has it taken this long for her to be in serious talks for a solo movie? Beyond that why does she have to be introduced alongside Batman and Superman, do they not think she's well-known enough carry a movie by herself?

Static had his own show that lasted for three seasons , would have been four had they gotten funding, that regularly competed with Pokemon during Pokemania getting good ratings. If I recall correctly the ratings for Young Justice may have gone up when he was introduced. Yet Static as well as a bunch of other beloved characters is floating around in limbo right now with what seems like no direction. Instead of taking characters like this and promoting them they've resorted to actually making a black Superman and a half-black Wally West. Are they afraid to promote different characters or something?

I understand the idea of wanting to make money and going with works but, not at the exclusion of other characters. Especially since I can think of another company that does what works while also giving air time to other characters. Now what was that company's name again ...uh ...uh. Oh yeah Marvel. Marvel has managed to promote their cash cows Wolverine and Spiderman while also promoting Captain America, Black Widow, IronMan etc. without completely excluding other lesser-known characters so it can be done. Most people haven't heard of Elektra, the Falcon, Ant Man or the Guardians of the Galaxy but they've either had movies or are getting them. So I can at least applaud Marvel for trying.

So, DC what gives?

shezowhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The cartoon Static shock had 4 seasons.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm waiting for someone to say "Static had a chance in the new 52 and it didn't work". Because that book was messed over my editors not leaving the dsmn writer alone and trying to throw in their input when it wasn't needed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.