Follow

Static

Character » Static appears in 185 issues.

Virgil Hawkins was exposed to a mutagenic gas that swept his city of Dakota, which gave him and other 'bang babies" superpowers. With the ability to control electromagnetism, Static joined the Teen Titans and continues to protect his city while serving on the team.

Hawkins Family

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlackWind

Even though I like both versions of Static, I feel like the cartoon added some interesting aspects that the comic didn't.

I feel like I really, reay connected to Robert and Sharon in the cartoon. Robert was a pillar of the community, helping kids keep their lives together by running the community center. He was always firm, but very fair with his kids. When the Bang Babies were created, he even went to the city leaders and chewed them out about not being on top of their stuff. And Sharon, she was that older sibling we all had. She managed to feel so real and natural whenever she interacted with Virgil. I know the comic had his mother alive, but I'd honestly prefer her to be dead. Why?

I feel like her death, the way it happened gives Virgil a further drive to stamp out gang violence. We were always told his mom was passionate and fearless about her work and wouldn't ever back down when people needed her help. And to go out into the middle of a city wide gang riot, and lose her life helping save people, she feels like a hero in her own right.

Robert owns a community center, Jean was a paramedic, Virgil is a superhero, and even Sharon was in training to become a counsler! The Hawkins family, even though they've lost one of their own, are such an amazing family, at least in my opinion.

Thoughts on this?

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#2  Edited By Black_Claw

I feel like having the death of a parent (or the death of a family member in general) is becoming a cliche in comic book origin stories. At first I would've much rather preferred Statics mom stay alive like in the old milestone comics. But in the show, her death made Static a much stronger character. So I think going this route in the comics (should dc decide to bring Static back) would be a welcome change of pace.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like having the death of a parent (or the death of a family member in general) is becoming a cliche in comic book origin stories. At first I would've much rather preferred Statics mom stay alive like in the old milestone comics. But in the show, her death made Static a much stronger character. So I think going this route in the comics (should dc decide to bring Static back) would be a welcome change of pace.

I agree. Her death did galvanize the kid but I wish there was another way to have the same impact with out the need for death.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

@nelomaxwell: same. But even if it was the death of a friend that motivated him, something like that still doesn't hit as close to home as the death of somebody from your own bloodline.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nelomaxwell: same. But even if it was the death of a friend that motivated him, something like that still doesn't hit as close to home as the death of somebody from your own bloodline.

True.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.