Starfire Takes Center Stage in DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #18

  • 82 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for gmanfromheck
Posted by gmanfromheck (41925 posts) - - Show Bio

The reaction to Starfire lately has been all over the place. As her character continues to develop in the pages of RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS, we're seeing that not only can she kick major butt, she also is a character worthy of respect, especially by the people of her planet.

Starfire fans will be overjoyed to learn that in March we will be getting an extra dose of Starfire. DC has announced on The Source (are they still calling their blog that name?) Starfire will have a solo story in DC UNIVERSE #18.

Cover by Ryan Sook
Cover by Ryan Sook

DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS has already focused on Deadman, the Challengers of the Unknown, Vandal Savage, Kid Flash and Black Lightning and Blue Devil. Issue #17 will focus on Arsenal. Isn't it time we see some more female characters in the spotlight?

The one-shot story will be written by Joe Keatinge with art by Federico Dallocchio. The issue goes on sale March 20. Here's what Joe had to say:

After working with illustrator Ricken on our Arsenal issue, I got the bug to do more with the Outlaws, so getting the immediate opportunity to work with illustrator Federico Dallocchio on Starfire is very, very ideal. Even better, she's a character I've liked for a long time now, especially in the classic Wolfman/Perez Titans era. Shining a solo spotlight to where she's at now in DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 is something I'm very enthusiastic about.

Will you be picking this up?

Staff
Avatar image for decept_o
#1 Posted by Decept-O (8078 posts) - - Show Bio

That's an incredible cover by Ryan Sook. Wow.

Avatar image for rav4
#2 Posted by rav4 (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

What's the title of this issue? "Let's see how little she can wear"?

Avatar image for press_oblivion
#3 Posted by Press Oblivion (1716 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this looks like something worth taking a look at. I like the writing style of Keatinge on Glory so this is promising.

Avatar image for ccraft
#4 Posted by ccraft (12233 posts) - - Show Bio

She needs to be a darker orange :l

I'll probably pick this up for my sister.

Avatar image for xtremekidx
#5 Posted by xtremekidx (590 posts) - - Show Bio

might be!!sounds interesting!

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
#6 Posted by StMichalofWilson (5499 posts) - - Show Bio

Starfire will also be naked! Yay! :P

Avatar image for ironangelx
#7 Posted by IronAngelX (217 posts) - - Show Bio

I really thought the command suit she wore in the Red Hood and the Outlaws was a good change. They were still able to show off her curves like they wanted but it wasn't an overabundance of skin like we've been getting.

Avatar image for squalleon
#8 Posted by Squalleon (9731 posts) - - Show Bio

Year 2014 : DC finally decides that starfire will walk nude and she will be covered only by her hair :-P

Avatar image for zachkastner
#9 Posted by zachkastner (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds good! And if he is a fan of the character then I trust she's in good hands. I'll be picking up both Arsenal and Starfire's solo installments.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (44980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ravager4 shes had that amount of clothing nearly her entire creation
Avatar image for rav4
#11 Posted by rav4 (1688 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jonny_Anonymous lol, no. She's always dressed in revealing costumes, sure, but this one takes it to a whole new level. She might as well be naked.
Avatar image for outside_85
#12 Posted by Outside_85 (15518 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope the story is better than the art...that page is simply ghastly.

Online
Avatar image for namtabmi
#13 Posted by namtabmi (102 posts) - - Show Bio

@zachkastner said:

Sounds good! And if he is a fan of the character then I trust she's in good hands. I'll be picking up both Arsenal and Starfire's solo installments.

This

Avatar image for twentyfive
#14 Posted by Twentyfive (3057 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

What's the title of this issue? "Let's see how little she can wear"?

Haha! Too true.

Avatar image for stormbox
#15 Posted by Stormbox (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

I hope the story is better than the art...that page is simply ghastly.

Thats the unfinished cover

Avatar image for crash_recovery
#16 Posted by Crash_Recovery (855 posts) - - Show Bio

That costume is just in such poor taste. Not saying that her previous costumes were family-friendly, but this one is just...yikes.

Avatar image for smoothjammin
#17 Posted by SmoothJammin (2596 posts) - - Show Bio

It almost looks like her costume was painted on

Avatar image for icarusflies77
#18 Posted by Icarusflies (13005 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are the gorillas dressed like Nightwing?

And still not buying this series....

Moderator
Avatar image for Trodorne
#19 Posted by Trodorne (2770 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

Why are the gorillas dressed like Nightwing?

Lol I know right?

Avatar image for cole_mercer
#20 Posted by Cole_Mercer (271 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Starfire is worthy of a solo title, she's an underdog like Dazzler but shes's interesting............I'll be reading this.

Avatar image for circularlogic
#21 Posted by CircularLogic (320 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

She needs to be a darker orange :l

I'll probably pick this up for my sister.

Don't. Maybe Joe Keatinge will do better, but Starfire's current depiction in the new 52 has been incredibly criticized for being very misogynistic, and may not be appropriate depending on what age your sister is.

Avatar image for miss_garrick
#22 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1763 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm, we'll see.

Avatar image for dadarkknight36310
#23 Posted by dadarkknight36310 (174 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

What's the title of this issue? "Let's see how little she can wear"?

Well Im pretty sure you know that the more direct contact Starfire has with the sun the more powerful she gets. So it makes since for her to have less clothing. Superman is the same way but he was raised here and he knows its would be unethical to fly around nude. I feel that if they could get away with it Starfire probably would be nude like Dejah Thoris. Since in the original stories the people of mars are suppose to be nude.

Avatar image for dernman
#24 Posted by Dernman (21636 posts) - - Show Bio

woohoo! Looking forward to it.

Online
Avatar image for rav4
#25 Posted by rav4 (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

@dadarkknight36310 said:

@Ravager4 said:

What's the title of this issue? "Let's see how little she can wear"?

Well Im pretty sure you know that the more direct contact Starfire has with the sun the more powerful she gets. So it makes since for her to have less clothing. Superman is the same way but he was raised here and he knows its would be unethical to fly around nude. I feel that if they could get away with it Starfire probably would be nude like Dejah Thoris. Since in the original stories the people of mars are suppose to be nude.

@dadarkknight36310 oh I'm aware of the poor justification they use to dress her in little more than nipple pasties and a thong. But really, what is it about her exposing her breasts that makes her absorb that much more energy than, say, her legs (which are strikingly more covered than her chest)? And what's the excuse for when she's indoors, or at night? You can have a revealing costume that is still tasteful, but this is about as tasteless as they come.

Though, I will agree that they'd draw her nude if they could. That much is clear.

Avatar image for bloggerboy
#26 Posted by bloggerboy (868 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

what is it about her exposing her breasts that makes her absorb that much more energy

You sound like Linkara. Still, a valid point.

For reference, you'd think Superman would only be wearing a speedo to absorb sunlight.

Avatar image for donfelipe
#27 Posted by DonFelipe (2276 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

@dadarkknight36310 said:

@Ravager4 said:

What's the title of this issue? "Let's see how little she can wear"?

Well Im pretty sure you know that the more direct contact Starfire has with the sun the more powerful she gets. So it makes since for her to have less clothing. Superman is the same way but he was raised here and he knows its would be unethical to fly around nude. I feel that if they could get away with it Starfire probably would be nude like Dejah Thoris. Since in the original stories the people of mars are suppose to be nude.

@dadarkknight36310 oh I'm aware of the poor justification they use to dress her in little more than nipple pasties and a thong. But really, what is it about her exposing her breasts that makes her absorb that much more energy than, say, her legs (which are strikingly more covered than her chest)? And what's the excuse for when she's indoors, or at night? You can have a revealing costume that is still tasteful, but this is about as tasteless as they come.

Though, I will agree that they'd draw her nude if they could. That much is clear.

I'm with ... it's a shame editors and writers think female characters only seem to work when they're nude and/or have large breasts. This is a major reason why there's less and less female heroes in the long run. Focusing on the looks more than character development works for a few issues but not in the long run. Besides, Batman doesn't run around naked and many of the male superheroes are completely covered in whatever latex.

Avatar image for rav4
#28 Posted by rav4 (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

@DonFelipe said:

@Ravager4 said:

@dadarkknight36310 said:

@Ravager4 said:

What's the title of this issue? "Let's see how little she can wear"?

Well Im pretty sure you know that the more direct contact Starfire has with the sun the more powerful she gets. So it makes since for her to have less clothing. Superman is the same way but he was raised here and he knows its would be unethical to fly around nude. I feel that if they could get away with it Starfire probably would be nude like Dejah Thoris. Since in the original stories the people of mars are suppose to be nude.

@dadarkknight36310 oh I'm aware of the poor justification they use to dress her in little more than nipple pasties and a thong. But really, what is it about her exposing her breasts that makes her absorb that much more energy than, say, her legs (which are strikingly more covered than her chest)? And what's the excuse for when she's indoors, or at night? You can have a revealing costume that is still tasteful, but this is about as tasteless as they come.

Though, I will agree that they'd draw her nude if they could. That much is clear.

I'm with ... it's a shame editors and writers think female characters only seem to work when they're nude and/or have large breasts. This is a major reason why there's less and less female heroes in the long run. Focusing on the looks more than character development works for a few issues but not in the long run. Besides, Batman doesn't run around naked and many of the male superheroes are completely covered in whatever latex.

Wait who are you with? You seemed to support my stance, yet you said you agreed with darkknight? Sorry, just confused.

Avatar image for divingfalcon713
#29 Posted by divingfalcon713 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd read it. The artist looks competent enough to draw her looking powerful despite her small costume, and her body proportions don't look totally implausible here. As RHatO has progressed I've liked her character so it'd be nice to know more about her.

Avatar image for smashbrawler
#30 Posted by SmashBrawler (6032 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, I can't wait to see Sook's finished cover.

Avatar image for zeeguy91
#31 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1587 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to this. Starfire's always been among my favorite characters.

Avatar image for zeeguy91
#32 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1587 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

Year 2014 : DC finally decides that starfire will walk nude and she will be covered only by her hair :-P

Hey, I'd be down with that. LOL

*runs away from being called a misogynist pig before people realize that he's just joking*

Avatar image for spideycap
#33 Posted by Spideycap (328 posts) - - Show Bio

@Zeeguy91 said:

@Squalleon said:

Year 2014 : DC finally decides that starfire will walk nude and she will be covered only by her hair :-P

Hey, I'd be down with that. LOL

*runs away from being called a misogynist pig before people realize that he's just joking*

Honestly its not very far from what she wears now, so most people wouldnt even bat a lash at it lol.

Avatar image for decept_o
#34 Posted by Decept-O (8078 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, the HATERZ for Starfire, whoa. Dang diggity.

Avatar image for tdk_1997
#35 Posted by TDK_1997 (17087 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really thrilled by this.

Avatar image for thanosismad
#36 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2412 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly forgot her costume even looked like that. It's been a long, long while since she appeared that way in Red Hood.

Avatar image for movieartman
#37 Edited by movieartman (1886 posts) - - Show Bio

other than her arms being a bit short, her proportions look absolutly realistic, none of her features are exaggerated at all, and she is healthy looking not the stupid skinny sticks we see too offen. this is how such explicit outfits should be drawn with beautful respectful realism. skimpy outfits arent the problem, asses and breast jutting out absurdly is whats truly disrepectful, i have no problem with giving characters large breast (such as powergirl) but they dont need to sick out and be gigantic random orbs laying atop her chest.

252313-93775-rob-liefeld.gif

compared to Dreck like this the starfire image above is the freaking mona lisa

Avatar image for screamingghost
#38 Posted by ScreamingGhost (82 posts) - - Show Bio

DC really needs to kick these type of costumes to the curb. Power Girl got a less revealing costume so to make up for the lack of skin they take less clothes from Starfire? Its hard to take this character seriously dressed like that.

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
#39 Posted by knightofthechronicle (1380 posts) - - Show Bio

@IronAngelX: Easily they could have made it her new suit if they probably turned it into the same color scheme her regular suit is.

Avatar image for jinxuandi
#40 Posted by jinxuandi (606 posts) - - Show Bio

@DonFelipe said:

I'm with ... it's a shame editors and writers think female characters only seem to work when they're nude and/or have large breasts. This is a major reason why there's less and less female heroes in the long run. Focusing on the looks more than character development works for a few issues but not in the long run. Besides, Batman doesn't run around naked and many of the male superheroes are completely covered in whatever latex.

Well said. In television advertising, research has proven the tired old trope "sex sells" untrue. People pay more attention to ads with sexy content but, ironically, are actually less inclined to buy goods or services featuring such content. The researchers believed that this was because, during the commercial, the viewers were thinking about sex rather than the product the ad was supposed to be selling.

I think a parallel could easily be made here. Scantily clad female characters might be more likely to get a customer's attention for one or two issues, as you said. But for a long-term commitment, a writer and artist need to get the reader thinking about something other than the character's physique, which is difficult when a character is nearly nude.

Avatar image for movieartman
#41 Posted by movieartman (1886 posts) - - Show Bio

@DonFelipe said:

I'm with ... it's a shame editors and writers think female characters only seem to work when they're nude and/or have large breasts. This is a major reason why there's less and less female heroes in the long run. Focusing on the looks more than character development works for a few issues but not in the long run. Besides, Batman doesn't run around naked and many of the male superheroes are completely covered in whatever latex.

males dont do so as they are not Phisicaly Beautiful in the way females are, even to female viewers. there phisical form simply is not half as visualy appealing or artistic as the female form. and batman and such need armor and protection, starfire and powergirl and such are pretty much bullet proof they have no need to be covered up, and real women and female characters should be proud and unashamed of there bodies and sexuality.

Avatar image for movieartman
#42 Posted by movieartman (1886 posts) - - Show Bio

@ScreamingGhost: yes and while i miss the boob window i would understand and put up with a new outfit, if it was not a horrid peice of crap

Avatar image for doordoor123
#43 Posted by doordoor123 (3810 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

Year 2014 : DC finally decides that starfire will walk nude and she will be covered only by her hair :-P

Have you seen New 52 Circe? That is her exact costume.

Avatar image for sevangrim
#44 Posted by SevanGrim (2191 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else see an old school Nightwing design on those villains?

Avatar image for sunman
#45 Posted by SUNMAN (7678 posts) - - Show Bio

her top still looks ugly. Can we give her staps please. Not a fan of the stick/pase ons.

Also first Red Arrow now Star Fire. Is RHATO getting cancelled are something. Just speaking for myself I pick up DC presents for characters not featured in other titles. I've go to pass on this and the Red Arrow issue

Avatar image for video_martian
#46 Posted by Video_Martian (5650 posts) - - Show Bio

@Icarusflies said:

Why are the gorillas dressed like Nightwing?

And still not buying this series....

LOL

Avatar image for wr3h
#47 Posted by wr3h (433 posts) - - Show Bio

Starfire....

What are you even wearing....

You're supposed to look like this.

-childhood destroyed-

:(

Avatar image for vitacura
#48 Posted by Vitacura (114 posts) - - Show Bio

Those are the wrong shoes for that outfi, she should be in high heels sandals, no boots.

Avatar image for cacarl
#49 Posted by cacarl (140 posts) - - Show Bio

People should stop complaining about the new Starfire. Read Red Hood and The Outlaws. She is more than a big pair of tits. YOU are the ones who like to make fun of women and not DC Comics. YOU are the ones writing of those jokes about her, not DC Comics. Like you'll not have a girlfriend like her. Heck, I'm pretty sure half of the people here never had a girlfriend.

Avatar image for queenfrost_
#50 Posted by queenfrost_ (2613 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

What's the title of this issue? "Let's see how little she can wear"?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.