Follow

Star-Lord

Character » Star-Lord appears in 873 issues.

Peter Quill is the first and current Star-Lord, a human-alien hybrid and leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy. He is the son of J'son of Spartax who is King of the Spartoi Empire.

Sam Humphries talks THE LEGENDARY STAR-LORD Ongoing Series

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

One of the numerous announcements from Marvel at C2E2 this past weekend was a new series from Sam Humphries and Paco Medina, THE LEGENDARY STAR-LORD. As a part of the Guardians of the Galaxy and the upcoming movie coming, the time is right for his own series. From the sound of it and what we've seen, this has the makings of another great new Marvel series.

In a press conference, Chris D'Lando, from Marvel, set the stage as we started to gather some info.

No Caption Provided

This marks the first time Star-Lord has had his own ongoing series. Considering when he was first introduced, it's a little surprising.

SAM HUMPHRIES: Star-Lord is a really fun character to write. He's very bold. He's very confident. Born and raised on Earth, he feels right at home in space. On Earth, he was just some orphan kid in the system, but in space, he is the Legendary Star-Lord. This book is going to be Peter's adventures untethered from the Guardians, where he gets to play a little more fast and loose than in the cosmic playground. He was the original outer space scoundrel. He actually pre-dates Han Solo. He likes to fight. He likes to flirt. He flies by the seat of his pants. This book is almost more like a space Western than some of the cosmic books that we have or had. It's not that sort of star-gazing Marvel cosmic book of the 70s with the vast space battles. It's more ground level stuff. It's set in bars and orphanages. It's about heists and cons, bounty hunters, revenge, and all that good stuff. These are high-flying heroic adventures of a space cowboy.

CHRIS D'LANDO: Going back to your Han Solo comment, I think it's safe to say Peter Quill would shoot first?

No Caption Provided

SAM: He would absolutely shoot first. Are you kidding?

What's going on in the first opening arc?

SAM: We've got a series of done-in-one-story that build right on top of each other. These are stories that take place on the fringes of the cosmic worlds of the Marvel Universe. Where you start to see empires breaking apart and civilizations overlapping and the wars and skirmishes and the places in space where people could fall through the cracks. Peter will have the chance to prove what kind of hero he is.

Sam's worked on several team titles so what's his approach to taking on a solo title?

SAM: There's a lot of relief on my end. After doing three team books in a row at Marvel, I'm really enjoying getting my hands dirty and focusing on one character. Peter is bold and charming but he really does have a heart of gold. He's a hero. He's a scoundrel but he always tries to do the right thing. Exploring that inter-friction, that dichotomy within Peter is really what's making the book interesting for me. That dichotomy is what drives the escapades in this book.

He's this guy that had a tough childhood and he made it into space. And space is awesome. Damn if he isn't going to have some fun going out there exploring new worlds, meeting strange aliens, and sometimes occasionally killing them.

Star-Lord got a good villain with his father, Jason of Spartax. Will he play a role in the series? What about other villains?

SAM: Well, Marvel is practically built on daddy issues. Pretty much all the great characters down the line have some father issues in some way or another. I can't say too much about that without spoiling something coming up immediately in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. Brian has this really great story coming, that's already, I believe, started in books that are already out there. There will be a turning point for Peter and the whole Spartax Empire that sets up the adventures in THE LEGENDARY STAR-LORD. Jason's legacy and his sort of dark shadow definitely hangs over the book. Peter is half human and half Spartax. He's half the son of this corrupt, interstellar Emperor/despot. And he's half the son of this selfless Colorado woman, who gave her life for Peter. That's a strong legacy on both sides that Peter finds himself caught in between a lot.

We do have a new bad guy in the form of a character called Mr. Knife. He's a cosmic gangster who's gunning for Peter for mysterious reasons. He puts a blood bounty on Peter's head. That kicks us off right at the beginning of issue #1. We go from there with the entire galaxy trying to find Peter to take him in for a great reward.

A little further down from issue #1, we'll have a new team of cosmic bad guys. I think that's pretty much all I can say about that right now.

No Caption Provided

How closely will he and Brian work together?

SAM: Very closely. We started working closely when I was working on my first Marvel Universe title with THE ULTIMATES. This is kind of like coming home again. It's a natural mesh for us We started working closely before I even took on the book. Then we started talking ideas. This collaboration has resulted in some really big things that will be coming out of this book, down the line.

During The Trial of Jean Grey, fans were either very excited or anxious to see more about the idea of a romance between Peter and Kitty Pryde. Is this something that will be followed up?

SAM: Absolutely. Yes. No question about it. This is something I have a lot of feelings about and I'm putting the all in the book. It's kind of like the ultimate long distance relationship in the Marvel Universe. We've got Peter gallivanting off in space and Kitty on Earth with the X-Men. They've got this two-way, holographic phone set up. It's like a cosmic outer space Skype where they can talk and see each other. Kitty is going to be a member of the supporting cast. There's definitely a flirtation there and we'll be able to find out if there's actually any true heat between them.

No Caption Provided

What's it like working with Paco Medina?

SAM: Working with Paco is great. When I was writing ULTIMATES, he was drawing ULTIMATE X-MEN. I remember looking at his stuff and thinking, 'This guy is so great.' I was having a deep feeling of envy and hoped one day I'd get to work with him. Now here we are. Paco is the perfect choice for this book because he has so much breadth to his style. We've also seen what Paco is capable of when you throw him into an environment in outer space and let him cut loose with spaceships, guns, and aliens. It'll bring a side of Paco out that people haven't really seen.

There are several Marvel books in the cosmic arena. Can we expect to see other familiar faces? Other Guardians?

SAM: It's a little of both. This is definitely Peter Quill's solo book. He appears in other books in a team format and this is leading into what are his solo adventures? We will see some appearances by Peter's Guardian pals. And yeah, Marvel's cosmic line is real strong. We're definitely going to take advantage of that.

No Caption Provided

We're seeing the different looks for Star-Lord on the covers. Which look will Sam use?

SAM: Really the only plans right now are to use the mask and overcoat that Chris Pratt has in the movie. Basically what you see on the McNiven cover, that's his look for the book.

With Star-Lord first introduced in 1976, what are his thoughts on why the character never caught on until recently?

SAM: That's a good question. He's a character that's not fully integrated into the core of the 70s Marvel space comics. Like what Starlin was doing with Adam Warlock and Thanos. He was this guy off to the side. He wasn't directly involved in the fray of the Marvel Universe. When DnA brought him into the Guardians of the Galaxy, that was a huge change, in terms of the positioning of the character. That's when you started to see Star-Lord, his character change a little. And we saw his connection to the Marvel Universe.

No Caption Provided

Will there be an ensemble cast aside from Kitty Pryde or will there be other characters?

SAM: We'll see his friends from the Guardians. Peter is a bro. He's a loyal friend so the Guardians are never far from his mind. There's a very deep bench right now of really exciting characters by really exciting creators in the cosmic line at Marvel. We're definitely going to take advantage of that. There's a lot of interesting connections. THE LEGENDARY STAR-LORD is a solo title for Peter. It is a chance for us to get to know him, for him to really get to shine. Even in space, no one lives in a vacuum. There's going to be a lot of cool appearances, some good supporting cast members. Some will be new and some will be familiar.

It was never fully addressed how Peter returned from the dead in the Cancerverse. It was touched upon in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY but not fully explained. Is this something we'll see in this title?

SAM: I'm not sure how much I can say without spoiling how it's going to play out, but it is going to be addressed. It is going to be a factor in THE LEGENDARY STAR-LORD. It's a great story and it has very interesting and very complicated repercussions for Peter. I know that's a story that's going on in everyone's mind. It's not a story we're going to dodge or sweep under the rug.

No Caption Provided

Will there be any other Earth-bound heroes besides Kitty?

SAM: Yes. Not sure how much I can say right now but there will be a story early on that's going to come up with Peter coming to Earth. Peter will have a run in with very big Marvel Universe characters who you do not normally see in space.

No Caption Provided

LEGENDARY STAR-LORD is on sale in July with a cover price of $3.99.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

I'm down with this

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

What can a movie do,huh?......and it's not even out yet.....

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Squalleon

I like the new costume better, I really didn't understand what Marvel was thinking with the last one.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm loving the hard Kitty X Peter shipping that's going on.

GodOfMischief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really can't wait for this.

His film costume is so much better than the one he's wearing in Bendis' run.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#6 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Sweet

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'm a big fan of both Humphries and Star Lord so I'll be all over this

Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stormultt

I'll be picking this up.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure and steady Marvel are kicking DC off my pull list.

Spider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spider-Man

chris pratt animated GIF

who animated GIF

chris pratt animated GIF

stu630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes!

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I'm defiantly going to pick this up.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love Humphries. Love Star-Lord. Reeeeaally hate the whole Kitty thing. Nonetheless, I will be getting this.

Lee_Everett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to go broke.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Marvel is pooping out solo comics lately like it's nothing

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Without a doubt in my mind...I will be getting this.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

Marvel is pooping out solo comics lately like it's nothing

I know they already have a Deathlok on going coming out this year .

Cuboid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet. Looking forward to this.

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

My pull list can't take any more! ....but okay just this one.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CaptainHoopla

@greenlucario: Ha! I said "okay just this one" about eight books ago, one of which was Batman Eternal. Raman Noodles for dinner again.

This sounds great though. If it doesn't look like it's going to be a crossoverfest like the current Guardians of the Galaxy I'll definitely check it out.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Definitely going to give this one a shot. I dropped GOTG before the X-Men crossover because I wasn't a fan of Bendis' characterizations. I hope that this is good.

I wonder what look they are going with. Some of the pictures show the blond haired blue suited look from the Bendis and classic run and then some of the pictures show the brown/red haired look with the post Annihilation look.

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure how long this series will last...

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
    thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so gonna pick up this series. Just Marvel has been killing it lately! They are releasing awesome solo after solo after solo and the only solo they've released this year that i can remember not being a fan of was Moon Knight but alot of other people liked that so that just shows how much these solo books are killing it. Seriously Marvel let me just get rid of my bank account and have all my money transfered to the comic story because that's basically the case. As someone who loves solo series and not a big fan of teams (GOTG and any X-Men type team stuff like X-Force included) Marvel is putting me in comic heaven right now. I would be totally on board with DC actually putting out some more damn solo series but if your names not Bat or Sup chances are your not getting a solo series at DC.

In terms of the costume i really don't understand the hate for the other outfit and the love for the new outfit. For the movie i think the outfit is great. But that's a movie...he's still just wearing normal human clothes or appear to be human and he also has a mask. Again it's cool for the movies but it's kind of meh generic, anti-climatic for comics when that universe has costumes well like Wovlerines costume. I understand alot of people didn't like the other costume though i don't know why but you atleast gotta admit it was more comic booky it felt more allign with a universe as expanded as the comics. This new one is good for movies but only movies. Wouldn't even want the costume in cartoons.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: Humphries says in the interview that Star Lord will be going by the brown hair and red trenchcoat look from now on.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah geez, I was really hoping nothing would come of the forced Peter/Kitty interaction at the end of "Trial." She's the main reason I dropped All-New X-Men, and she alone makes me hesitant to pick up this series.

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yet another reason Marvel is gonna make me broke!

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I will consider it; my wallet cant take it! I also didnt like Bendis' GotG.

neiliusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I really can't wait for this.

His film costume is so much better than the one he's wearing in Bendis' run.

I completely agree.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Cowboy space adventure with Kitty Pryde as supporting cast....I HAVE TO GET THIS BOOK

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf
    No Caption Provided

imredjimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could be interesting. I like how Marvel is clearly pushing for The Guardians to become the third big team of the Marvel Universe after the Avengers and the X-Men. Sorry Fantastic Four, maybe someday you'll receive the love you deserve...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jonny_anonymous: Heh, sadly that's probably true.

@cap10nate: They said they're going to go with the trenchcoat/mask look as opposed to the blue/yellow/black superhero-y type thing he's been wearing of late.

@jaken7 said:

I'm loving the hard Kitty X Peter shipping that's going on.

AGREED.

I'm really, really excited for this series. I'm just scared it's going to get cancelled due to lack of sales and I hate getting into a series just for it to be cancelled. I suppose it's just something I'll have to get used to sometimes happening.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the new costume better, I really didn't understand what Marvel was thinking with the last one.

It was his classic costume.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tparks
    No Caption Provided

When I saw this image, I was stoked thinking that Star-Lord was finally getting his super powers back! But I guess not. Oh well...I'll still be buying this series.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

@squalleon said:

It was based on it but it wasn't the same

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buying this

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

This book is like totally not needed.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

@squalleon said:

Right. I really like the look, but I'm also a big fan of Bronze Age Star-Lord. My least favorite look so far is the new movie look they are using. I think it looks great for the movie, but not so much for a comic. I'm sure it will grow on me though.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@tparks said:

@squalleon said:

Right. I really like the look, but I'm also a big fan of Bronze Age Star-Lord. My least favorite look so far is the new movie look they are using. I think it looks great for the movie, but not so much for a comic. I'm sure it will grow on me though.

I love it the movie look, it's much more like his Annihilation gear.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I love the Annihilation gear. I think this looks more like a 90's character with a gas mask and a trench coat.That's not necessarily a bad thing though, if that's the direction his solo stories are going to be. It looks like they are trying to make him a scoundrel type character that gets involved with the underworld of the Marvel Cosmic universe, and this costume is fitting for that. I'm just not used to it yet though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.