Follow

Stan Lee

Person » Stan Lee is credited in 4978 issues.

Stan "The Man" Lee, Marvel Comics's legendary founder, is the writer and co-creator of such timeless characters as the Avengers, the X-Men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Fantastic Four, and the Hulk. In his words, "'Nuff said!" His best-known catch-phrase is New York's state motto, "Excelsior!!!"

Favorite Comic Runs: Stan Lee's THE X-MEN vs. THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Stan "The Man" Lee is known for co-creating a whole lot of popular Marvel characters. These fictional heroes and villains have not only endured the decades, but many have also managed to adapt and thrive with the times. However, this week, we want to chat about two of his classic runs: THE X-MEN and THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. Yes, we considered his FANTASTIC FOUR (especially since it's longer than his time with Cyclops and company), but truthfully, we regularly see the X-Men receive far more love than Marvel's first family in the forums. Besides, writers can appear in the segment more than once, so if the iconic writer does return to the segment, it's very likely we'll place that against something else!

Will you side with Lee's legendary introduction of the Children of the Atom and their foes? Or will the X-Men stand no chance against Lee's iconic run with Peter Parker? Guess what? We're letting you pick the winner. You know, because we're kind like that. When you're ready, check out the link below and cast your vote, true believer! Sorry, had to say it at least once.

CLICK HERE TO VOTE!

No Caption Provided

Not sure which run will earn your vote just yet? Well, there's no need to worry or rush because voting is open until Friday morning (ET). That should be more than enough time to dive back into these classic books and determine which one you dig more.

Last but not least, everyone say "the world is a better place with you in it" to the Comic Viner dagmar_merrill. Why give this person such an absurd amount of praise, you ask? It's because they were the first person to correctly guess this week's match-up based on Friday's teaser. Great job being a total boss, dagmar_merrill.

Check the homepage on Friday to see which takes the prize and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or tell us via Twitter.

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

Good God, this is Sophie's Choice.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By PunyParker

Seriously....God.
    I mean....it's me.
    What do you think i voted for?! :P

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Well I am a huge X-men fan and actually own some of that run (passed down from my grandfather)

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#4 owie  Moderator

This is a hard choice, they're both great. Weird villains and wild plots and wonderful characterizations.

But based on the fact that he wrote over 100 issues of Amazing, and 19 issues of X-Men, I have to go with Spider-man, since he clearly directly contributed much more to that volume. Granted that his involvement in Spider-man is controversial, since Ditko argued that he was a major partner in the writing, if not in fact the primary writer. But still, Stan was at the very least involved with Spidey for way longer than the X-Men. The amount of time isn't everything when asking how good/important a story is, but when the numbers are so one-sided, it's hard to say that the first 100 issues of Spider-man don't offer a bigger cultural bang than the first 19 of X-men. In this way I'd say the Spidey vs FF would be a better comparison.

ALFMutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I consider Stan Lee's X-Men to be the most overrated run at Marvel, his Magneto was one-dimensional. It totally lacked the racism associated with the comic. Chris Claremont made the X-Men not Stan.

But Stan Lee in duo with Steve Ditko wrote the best years of Spider-Man.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this is comparing a piece of classic literature to fan fiction.

Almost everything out of Lee's Amazing Spider-Man run is considered law by fans even till this day. The well known stories, dozens of reused characters who have personalities that are written very similar how Lee wrote them 50 years ago. I think its one of the most groundbreaking comic runs of that time.

The X-Men.... I can't say the same.

Lykida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well, I love the X-Men. For me there's is no other comic book team as diverse and interesting as these mutants. The drama, thrill and grief they had to endure during the last couple of decades is what makes me follow their steps till today.

BUT in my opinion the great stories were not in the first 19 or so issues that Stan Lee was writing. For me the X-Men really became great when Chris Claremont took over and shaped a new, more diverse team.

In contrast the origin that was established in the first issues of Amazing Spider-Man still matters for what the web slinger is today. It shaped Peter's character and the stories had so much impact that we still see the same villains today.

The X-Men and their world and villains had to change after the Stan Lee run to make them more interesting (the book almost got canceled before Giant X-Men #1 came out). But there still is a lot of those classic Spidey stories in the Spider-Man of today. That's why I voted for the Amazing Spider-Man run because I think it's of particular importance and also I like the stories better.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

This is a really tough one. I guess I'll go with X-Men.

daltonmunnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, man. This might be the most difficult match up for me so far (not counting ones where I haven't read both runs). Right now I'm leaning Spidey, but since I just renewed my Marvel Unlimited account (everyone should try it. You can get the first month for a dollar right now using promo code 'thor2mu'.) I'll use this opportunity to read some 60's X-Men over again.

Sifighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

I really like Stan's X-men, especially with them in the present day, but I'm gonna have to give this to the Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman. He's just a hell of a lot of fun and in my opinion is some of Stan Lee's best work.

Avatar image for misternefarious
    MisterNefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I go with option C: Silver Surfer!

But since there is no C, I go with Spider Man.

DylanOfEarth2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

can I say Fantastic four. haha

Cypher4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Overall, I love X-Men. Spider-Man is second, but it's a distant second. However, there is a reason that X-Men did not do well in the early days. It wasn't until Chris Claremont came along in the late 70's that they really started to get good. The odd thing is that I've read Stan Lee's Spider-Man, Dare Devil, and Thor and they were all good. But I did not find his work on X-Men to be very impressive, though he was better than some of the writers who took over immediately after him.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stan Lee's Spider-man is pretty objectively head and shoulders above his X-men.

danaandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By danaandra

X-Men were good, but it's really hard to top the early years of Spider-Man. Really some of the finest mainstream comics ever created.

Avatar image for orangelantern93
    orangelantern93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chameleon, dr octopus, vulture, sandman, lizard, kraven, mysterio, GREEN GOBLIN nuff said.

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
    thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Men

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By CombatSpoon86

Gotta give it to S.L. Amazing Spidey run. I just absolutely loved it. Nothing against his X-men run (still good on it's own rights) but his run on Spidey was just out of this world. Stan Lee shaped Peter/Spidey to what he is today. Plus how many classic/important Spidey storylines and super villains did we get from the Lee/Ditko/Romita run. Hands down Spidey was one of, if not the best, of Stan Lee's work.

Sarenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Amazing Spider-Man FOR THE WIN !!!

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im not voiting

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't born yet that time so.........

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.