Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

will Garfield be the most hated Spiderman?

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MarvelMan92

well since the marvel reboot is happening and garfield is out i just want to bring in something on my mind that is on for a long time. you know, this is just sad to see this happening. you all know the title. since the reboot is now happening and Garfield has yet to prove himself into people's eyes do you think garfield will end up being the most hated actor to play the character? i mean marvel is great with casting but with Garfield playing roles with nothing but aspects of the character and other actors playing the character i'm afraid of people even ones who are born looking years back into saying "wow this kid is such an emo hipster asshat" or "why hasn't he played the character like in his movies" or the bullcrap comparing garfield to timothy dalton or whatever when a wooden actor like maguire who was stuck on playing an inept loser for all his 3 films gets the credit(and i hope people are realizing the problems with him like now). i mean this is a guy who dreamt up playing the character. the guy who read the comics. the guy who has the personality of peter parker. the guy who keeps playing the character in every film and tv. and when he's playing the ultimate version mixed with ditko and romita all they do is just criticize him and just accuse him of being edward cullen or an asshole or a hipster or some other bullshit. i mean i have to feel the guys pain. i mean yes people say he has stone but to him i mean personally and webb i don't believe they had the credit they deserve. the guy recieved so much credit for the first movie and kept praising him for the role but thanks to arad and his stupidity in the second film people are crushing him(i think) and it's sad that it's happening like this because this guy really loved the character. he put his heart and soul into him and i can relate to that. there were so many scenes cut that matched the character and i hope to God they release a directors cut because the guy shouldn't go through so much bullcrap and neither does webb for that matter. i mean he's a yes man sure but that really doesn't mean he's talentless. in the behind the scenes you can tell he's put in alot of work and planning it to be more serialized. you can tell he loved the character to an extent. and to be honest this hispter skateboarding thing(even though he's not a hipster but a modern day geek) may bother some people but it works. life is strange accomplished this and i cannot wait for episode 2 to come out next month. but anyway there was a scene where peter was skateboarding to impress a couple of chicks(probably took place after the basket scene or something) and then he messed up and hit the table where the food were placed and being humiliated. that freaking works and is proven to be relatable and it's a shame sony cutted so much stuff from the film and didn't have the chance to impress people and despite so much mess happening in the second film even a few deleted scenes involving max and richard parker you can tell the creators still try to put in a couple of good things in the sequel and tried to stay true to peter parker and spiderman if the scenes weren't messed around. hiring arad was a huge mistake and hopefully with him being booted off marvel and sony will decide to release the directors cut versions of TASM 1 and 2.

sorry i got so emotional right there but do you think garfield will end up being the most controversial and the most hated version of the character on screen despite all the hard work and endurance he's put in?

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By clonesaga2099

I don't think people really hate Andrew Garfield, they're actually mad at Avi Arad and his stupid decisions. The thing about Arad and most of his cronies is that unlike Andrew, Spider-Man's just a paycheck to them. They don't understand why people like him and are content to put out the trash they think people will pay money for. Mr. Garfield enjoys the character and puts a lot into his portrayal, but it doesn't help that he has to do whatever the script, and most importantly the executive types say he's got to do. The reason people seem so mad at Andrew Garfield is that he's just the easiest to blame for the disaster of the movies, because he's the face that's slapped onto the movies. It's always easier for people to blame the person on stage instead of looking behind the curtain and condemning the real culprit. Also, a lot of people are giving him too much hate, because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. People are still tainted by nostalgia by Raimi's honest interpretation. Raimi was a fan of Spidey, so his film series had heart, but it wasn't enough because the studio trampled all over what he set out to do. It did have it's flaws but was more enjoyable because of the genuine affection Raimi had for the series. The new series has a much more corporate feel, and it shows, Sony's mismanagement of the franchise is the bad guy here. I'm not saying Marvel would do better, but the person in charge of the franchise should be someone who understands what makes Spider-Man good.

No Caption Provided

It could be worse though....

A LOT worse.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh he reminds me alot of garfield. There are other scenes missing that would win audience over. A fan edit isn't enough. I hope a directirs cut or a short film could help garfield with that.

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pizzaman

I liked Andrew more than Tobey. Tobey didn't really feel like Peter or Spidey.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Least like? Probably. Hated? Nah.

I personally liked Tobey's character more overrall.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

With time people will notice Garfield did the best he could with what they give to him.

The casting was great, the problem was the scripts and the studio system.

@clonesaga2099 said:

I don't think people really hate Andrew Garfield, they're actually mad at Avi Arad and his stupid decisions. The thing about Arad and most of his cronies is that unlike Andrew, Spider-Man's just a paycheck to them. They don't understand why people like him and are content to put out the trash they think people will pay money for. Mr. Garfield enjoys the character and puts a lot into his portrayal, but it doesn't help that he has to do whatever the script, and most importantly the executive types say he's got to do. The reason people seem so mad at Andrew Garfield is that he's just the easiest to blame for the disaster of the movies, because he's the face that's slapped onto the movies. It's always easier for people to blame the person on stage instead of looking behind the curtain and condemning the real culprit. Also, a lot of people are giving him too much hate, because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. People are still tainted by nostalgia by Raimi's honest interpretation. Raimi was a fan of Spidey, so his film series had heart, but it wasn't enough because the studio trampled all over what he set out to do. It did have it's flaws but was more enjoyable because of the genuine affection Raimi had for the series. The new series has a much more corporate feel, and it shows, Sony's mismanagement of the franchise is the bad guy here. I'm not saying Marvel would do better, but the person in charge of the franchise should be someone who understands what makes Spider-Man good.

No Caption Provided

It could be worse though....

A LOT worse.

No Caption Provided

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's just like i feared:

https://twitter.com/SuperheroFeed/status/566848480048467968

and after all the hard work he tried to do to getting the role. it's hard for me to move on because he worked really hard getting the role and has been my ideal role for the character. and after all this he's been getting shit.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah spock will be

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like Garfield I think he was good, it was the overall production that was my problem. I like Andrew way better than Toby through, think it was just crappy deal.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

Noooooooooooooooooo.

Beata

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. He would be the most hated Edward Cullen rip off though...

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tobey Maguire is the man.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By magnetic_eye

I don't think Andrew Garfield will be the most hated. I think both he and Tobey had their strengths and weaknesses.

IMO, I felt that Tobey Maguire played a slightly better and nerdier Peter but was indeed a very lackluster Spidey. Tobey did admit on live television that he had never even read a Spider-Man comic. So in essence he was only really acting to the script. I also prefer Tobey's Spider-Man costume and Sam Raimi as an accomplished and more experienced director.

Andrew Garfield was the better Spider-Man in terms of the character's sense of humor, but I thought he took it into goofball territory. Also Garfield's Peter was just a little too cool, rather than the geeky nerd. To be fair, Andrew had read some "Ultimate Spider-Man" comic books, so he did at least have a bit of an angle on the character from the Ultimate universe.

Crazy_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt it, he was actually pretty damn good, especially as Spider-Man.

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

Hated is such a strong word. Maguire people actually liked because for all the faults with the first film he was a good part of that film and showed Hollywood a good Spider-man movie can exist. Consider the development hell that film was in, it's a miracle it ever got made. If Maguire had been truly bad all comic book movies, especially Marvel Studios would have taken a step back.

Now when it came to Spider-man 3, that's when anger leads to hate and hate led to suffering. But that's mainly the writing.

Which is exactly the problem with Garfield. He's not bad, he's got the look but he lacked the geekyness Peter should have had. He's too confident, anyone who was a Peter Parker in school knows that Garfield was too confident as Peter. But he still wasn't bad. The writing though, damn it was woeful. And the bad guys were terribly overacted, after watching ASM2 and seeing those three enemies (they don't deserve the codenames) I truly thought that ASM3 will be at Batman & Robin levels of cheesiness. If Jamie Fox started spouting bad electricity jokes I wouldn't have been surprised.

So back to your point, I don't think fans hated either one. But if they were to choose on version of Spider-man to hate, for me it would be Spider-Man 3. Other than that, Maguire & Garfield were good

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think garfield had the heroines. Many people seem to forget that Peter has always been confident over the years rather than staying an inept loser his entire life. Peter is not george mcfly anymore. I think that alot more people are seeing more problems with maguire.

Anyway I love done of your answers guys. I just don't want garfield to end up being hated in the role. The guy worked hard fir it, loved the character and there were more scenes that would've won alot of people over. I rely hope a directors cut would come to make him be accepted in the role

jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hate him, his ass is so flat

GreatSpiderBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I doubt it, he was actually pretty damn good, especially as Spider-Man.

BlackSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BlackSuit

Many people don't hate Andrew Garfield version of Spider-Man, actually many people like him more than Tobey's Spidey, but I can see the flaws of his portrayal and of TASM franchise overall.

The actor who gets the role have to play two personas: Peter Parker and Spider-Man, the first is an shy/nerd/average guy and the other is a bold arrogant wisecracker. The problem with TASM version is definitively Peter Parker, Garfield tried to portray a awkward shy guy in some scenes, but it didn't kind work, he tried to babble and stammer while talking, but it didn't sold the character, he was not good as Peter. However I don't blame Garfield for this, I put most of the blame in the writing. The characterization was all over the place, sometimes Peter is a hipster, well dressed and kinda cool guy that try to flirt with Gwen and defend a guy who is being bullied by Flash Thompson, however in the next scene he is portrayed as the geek that is bullied by Flash and his gang and babbling while talking and stalking Gwen (Peter is dorky nerd right? so, make him do whatever dorky people do, job done!). It was like they tried to put two totally different jigsaw pieces together and tried to form a coherent image. Looking back, I think they tried to make a more cool Peter to the standard audience feel related to him and crowd the movie theater, but they had to put the original Peter characterization anyway and we get this chimera.

Garfield as Spider-Man is other story. He was very good, he was the confident, funny and energetic guy that Spidey is. He have a very good comedic tone that helps very much. That is the reason people like his take on the character. But, here even so the crappy writing take its toll. Just look at the first 10 minutes of TASM2 and you can see how irresponsible and neglecting its Spider-Man is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfV-0Yv5vNY

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most people I know think Garfield portrayed Spider-Man really well but it was the film's stories themselves that make it suck. Both films had obnoxious story plots, especially in ASM2 which caused the films to be mediocre.

I think Andrew Garfield will be remembered as a good spider-man but with how things are going now, it's looking like Tom Holland will be the reigning champion of best spiderman.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't think so.

Thedarkking25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remeber their was a deleted scene in ASM1 where Peter spider sense makes him dodge a car and he lands on a street light, that was from the comics

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

People don't hate Andrew, hate is a really strong word, many people like him and think he is the best Spider-Man to date, like myself.

However, I do think that in the future he will be the least popular, considering that he wasn't the first, nor was he the version that interacted with The Avengers and starred in the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time. A shame because Garfield is a much better actor than Maguire and Holland.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.