Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Why Superior Spider-man is a good thing! (Major Spoilers)

• 110 results
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#51  Edited By Strider1992

@Deranged Midget: Thanks :) and yes there are quite a few things I dislike the idea of (mainly the MJ thing). I also I agree with you about being underwhelmed I thought it would have had more of a surprise factor instead it seemed to take the most predictable route. Well so far anyway maybe that will change in Superior?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Strider92: Haha, it was quite predictable and it threw me off actually. I was hoping for something as awesome as the devious master-plan's we thought of! But alas, no such luck :(

That's what has me excited! I have absolutely NO idea what Slott has in store with Superior! To me, just a little tick in the back of my head, has me thinking that Peter will make a triumphant return, or perhaps, he isn't gone at all!

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Lamenoire
    @PunyParker: I am pretty sure this trick up his sleeve is either Superior tell the truth and stop pretending to be Peter (which would explain the reaction of Daredevil and Wolverine that we saw in previex) or we finally see that Peter is up there too... 

SLOTT revealed that the two colored page of SSM1 that were leaked earlier ar not from the end of the issue, but part of a preview ("to be continued" was implying it was the very last page). it will be the actual last page that will make people change their mind
    animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By animehunter

@Lamenoire: I don't believe it would be Superior Spider-man telling the truth and stop pretending to be Peter.

because

1 - The Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D would simply stick him in jail, and do everything they can to get Peter back if they can and so it would be a very very short run of the book

2 - You wouldn't have issues that have the following Description/Synopsis

Superior Super-man #3 (out February 6th) - Has Carlie Cooper figured out the Superior Spider-Man’s secret identity?

Avenging spider-man #17 (out February 20th) - The Superior Spider-Man is forced to work with the FF as the literal future comes crashing in on them, threatening to destroy the Foundation itself and expose Spider-Man’s ultimate secret!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#55  Edited By TDK_1997

I am excited about the new series and out of this can come out a lot of good stuff but the whole ending issue was a big letdown.It didn't intrgue almost at all and the way that Peter died was pretty 'I don't give a f@@k' moment.It wasn't in the way that could make me even cry or make me sad.

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Lamenoire
    @animehunter: you mean putting someone who seems to be Peter Parker in jail ? it seems complicated to justify... (secret identity + hard to convict Peter for Ock's crime) 
    and Ock is a genius... his capture would be rather difficult (and he knows their tactics/secret thanks to Peter memory) 

I don't mean make it public. just the inner circle of Avengers who know Peter Parker is Spiderman 
    animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By animehunter

@Lamenoire: if that's the case, wouldn't they still be obligated to inform Peters family and the women in his life i.e. Mary Jane, Carlie Cooper, Black Cat/Felicia Hardy, because if they didn't, they would be complicit in the ruse and anything that might happen between them and Superior Spider-man, especially between him and Mary Jane.

Because, otherwise they'll need to watch him 24/7, in order to protect everyone that was close to Peter to make sure he doesn't harm them, for I do not see them trusting him considering who he is and what he did.

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Lamenoire
    @animehunter: if OCK stop being Peter Parker, it doesn't seem necessary...  
    in an alleged spoiler, Stephen STRANGE had a role in the event leading to Superior.... a spell to create a new identity isn' so far fetched

Even if it is creepy, or wrong, I don't think it would be a rape  : Ock isn't pretending to be Peter Parker... he is peter Parker (at leat legally).  
    And since a part of peter personnality seems to have made thei way into Ock mind (he stopped a mugger instinctly while thinking he was above this kind of thing, he made a quip about his old self and despise him... and can't stay away from MJ while he realise it is dangerous)... 

And we don't know yet what Ock will do concerning MJ : he seemed to want to "get something Peter didn't have for a long time" in 700... but doesn't seems to be really concerned about having sex with her in 15.1 (or spending time with her) 
    MARVEL would be insane to actuallygetting ahead with this kind of thing... even if it has already been seen in the past (ZEUS liked to pretend to be the husband of married women in greek mythology)
    animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By animehunter

@Lamenoire: even though I don't want to speculate on whether or not something is rape, personally I feel that, if that person is pretending to be someone they're not and she is in love with the person he's pretending to be which results in them getting intimate, and unless he tells her the truth about himself, I would have to say that he is in a relationship under false pretenses and thereby he is harming her, maybe not physically (at least I hope not) but emotionally.

I just hope it won't go to far, because then it is a whole other situation.

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Lamenoire

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2012/12/25/amazing-spider-man-700th-issue/1746039/ 

2 things interesting in there :

“It’s also what the good part of our first year of Superior is about: Doc behaving in a manner he’s not accustomed to. We see a more sympathetic side of Doctor Octopus. We couldn’t have a Spider-Man who was running around murdering people. And I have no interest in seeing that sort of character win.”

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By animehunter

@Lamenoire said:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2012/12/25/amazing-spider-man-700th-issue/1746039/

2 things interesting in there :

“It’s also what the good part ofour first year of Superior is about: Doc behaving in a manner he’s not accustomed to. We see a more sympathetic side of Doctor Octopus. We couldn’t have a Spider-Man who was running around murdering people. And I have no interest in seeing that sort of character win.”

so I guess this means they've scheduled it to run for at least a year, and the next part regarding Doc Ock, he could be Mother Theresa for all I care, if it's not Peter, I don't want to know.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By thespideyguy

I will pick up the first issue if it is good I will buy others. I really want Pete back and Doc Ock has been really out of character, he has peter's memories and ideals so he should be more willing to jump into action and bee more of a nice guy.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#63  Edited By Lvenger

I'm still wrapping my head around this revelation. I haven't read the issue and the internet's spoilt it for me (very annoying) but nothing's a secret nowadays. I see it as an interesting new direction for Spider-Man stories and clearly it's not going to last forever. I want this change to last for a good couple of years to ram home just how big it is. Slott's laid the groundwork nicely now all he needs to do is tie the knots and he should be able to give us his grand plan in splendid form. Give Slott a chance haters, he knows what he's doing!

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By InnerVenom123

Thank you.

I can't wait for Superior #1.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#65  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Ok so there a few problems I have with Superior Spider-Man, like how I would have rathered it was Smyth or O'Hara that took over the mantel or how I think instead of killing off Pete he should have vowed never to be Spider-Man again and depowered himself also I felt issue 700 felt kind of rushed HOWEVER I haven't really be enjoying ASM for awhile now but this does seem pretty interesting and I'd like to see where it goes.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#66  Edited By Magian

I don't know. Superior Spider-Man was one of the few comics I was actually interested in reading, in a while now but that revelation kinda turned me off. While the preview I saw, looked pretty good actually (btw can anyone tell me who is the artist in the new book?), the idea of Doc Ock as Spidey, just doesn't interest me much. I guess I'll wait for a few issues before checking it, to see the reviews (not that I really care that much about them anyway tbh).

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Strider1992

@ComicMan24: The Superior Spider-man has 3 artists on it. Giuseppe Camuncoli, Humberto Ramos and Ryan Stegman. The art in the SSM preview was by Ryan Stegman.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68  Edited By Magian

@Strider92: Cool. Thanks man.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Lvenger

@Jonny_Anonymous: How would Slott have shoe horned Smythe into Peter's brain? And as for Miguel, playing the Spider-Man from the future card would have been out of place for the story IMO. I agree on the depowering though. This death isn't going to last long. 1-2 years, maybe 3 at most. The thing is that people see Peter Parker as Spider-Man and this way Peter is still Spider-Man but it provides a twist with someone else in the driving seat.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Lvenger: He wouldn't have, Pete retires, depowers himself and vows never to be Spider-Man again and Smythe ends up taking up the mantel
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Lvenger

@Jonny_Anonymous: Smythe hasn't shown any inclination to want to take over being Spider-Man though. No motive, no plot points or hints like with Ock. Plus there would still be differences with how Superior has spider sense amongst the other problems.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Strider1992

@Lvenger: Well considering Smythe managed to give a spider-sense to an army of people including Scorpion it wouldn't be that hard to give himself one but yes the morals side of things would have been hardto change.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Lvenger

@Strider92: Good point. I forgot about the morals as well.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Lvenger said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: Smythe hasn't shown any inclination to want to take over being Spider-Man though. No motive, no plot points or hints like with Ock. Plus there would still be differences with how Superior has spider sense amongst the other problems.

my point is they could have added all that in if they wanted to, Doc Ock is like my least favourite villain of all time 
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Lvenger

@Jonny_Anonymous: Really? He's one of my top 10 favourites. Especially in recent years, a lot's been done to big him up for this moment. Plus in an interview Slott described the change as "Moriarty acting as Sherlock Holmes or Prince John becoming Robin Hood", the archnemesis becoming the hero and trying to do some good actions instead. That wouldn't have worked with Smythe at all if he were the new Superior Spider-Man. That's a far superior (pun intended) status quo than Smythe becoming the new Spider-Man

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By animehunter
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Lvenger: I look ar Ock and all I see is a fat guy with a bowl cut and weird glasses 
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Lvenger

@Jonny_Anonymous: Yeah that is the norm. But he has established himself as a big foe of Spider-Man's if you look past that.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Lvenger: Yea but not a cool or particularly likeable one 
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Strider1992

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Lvenger: Yea but not a cool or particularly likeable one

Yeah I don't like 616 Ock that much. Ultimate Ock on the other hand was bada$$!:

Awesomeness!!!!
    Awesomeness!!!!

Ultimate Superior Spider-man anyone!?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Billy Batson
    When you look at objectively and without emotion

There's just something about this when you're talking about one of the most beloved characters in fiction that makes it sound weird.
    BB

Spiderslike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Spiderslike

I agree completely I've said this before and I will say it again. I have no problem with this I even like this. Ock being Spider-Man will not last I also agree with you because he's still basically Peter he has his mind and body just with Ock along for the ride. Eventually something will happen where Peter's memories take control. Honestly the way "Peter" died was beautifully written and embodies the spirit of Spider-Man. I agree with you this is the worst thing that may have happened to Peter and that part of what makes it good on the flip though this may be the best as he has now turned one of his greatest villains into a hero.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Strider1992

@InnerVenom123 said:

Thank you.

I just finished reading it......It is awesome....there are no words. Superior Spider-man is Superior.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By animehunter

@Strider92: I manage to read it as well

at least Don Slott redeemed himself in my eyes, not fully but enough for me to reconsider reading future issues

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#85  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Strider92 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Thank you.

I just finished reading it......It is awesome....there are no words. Superior Spider-man is Superior.

AGHHH TOMORROW TOMORROW TOMORROW :D

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Strider1992

@InnerVenom123: Careful when looking over the Spider-man forum there are already spoilers. If you don't wanna get spoiled run out of here as fast as you can! Oh and did I mention Superior Spider-man is awesome?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#87  Edited By PunyParker

@Strider92 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Lvenger: Yea but not a cool or particularly likeable one

Yeah I don't like 616 Ock that much. Ultimate Ock on the other hand was bada$$!:

Awesomeness!!!!
    Awesomeness!!!!

Ultimate Superior Spider-man anyone!?

STILL better than Miles!!!

YES,im a hater!!!

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By kid Apollo

@Strider92 said:

Not to mention as I said previously it also allows writers to think ahead and have lots of time to think up fresh ideas for Peter.

i could not agree with you more!!!!!

WBDV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah... lets take one of spider-man's most malevolent villians and make him spider-man.... yea great idea (and if you can't sense the sarcasm you're an idiot). I tried to get into this book no way. Thanks for ruining one my favorite super heroes, DC comics must be laughing at marvel right now. Haven't bought a Marvel book since then, don't plan on it until they change Spider-Man back and fire Dan Slott.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@strider92: Do you still have the same opinion about SSM? I'm afraid this is a path I can't follow you, despite the fact I really tried to. I think it could be a great arc, but that's all.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phaedrusgr: Since issue 9 no. My opinion has changed dramatically.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: YAY!.....that makes me sad....i want my Peter back,damnit!

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92:

@punyparker:

I think that issue #09, which I've re-read earlier, is the issue that the vast majority of spider-man fans realizes Slott's been destroying Pete, even if he (Slott) wishes the opposite. SSM is a concept I can't stand anymore. SSM became an insult to the Parker saga.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By PunyParker

@phaedrusgr said:

@strider92:

I think that issue #09, which I've re-read earlier, is the issue that the vast majority of spider-man fans realizes Slott's been destroying Pete, even if he (Slott) wishes the opposite. SSM is a concept I can't stand anymore. SSM became an insult to the Parker saga.

Slott's favorite character is Ock.....i believe Marvel is just giving him the pleasure to make him handsome,jacked,young....how?....Put him in Peter's body!!....duh!

Of cource if logic preveales,this atrocity will end May 2014,when ASM2 will come out since Marvel's new motto is "Do as the movies".....SAVE US ANDREW GARFIELD!

In Amazing Spider-Man #700,must have been the issue where MJ gives birth to a child,or something....or get back together(Pete&MJ),to make up for OMD!.....not putting Ock in Pete's body....

Making this sugestions,makes me see how stupid of an idea it was for the 50 years of Spider-Man...of the AMAZING Spider-Man.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: You couldn't be more right... Nice way to celebrate Marvel's flag, Slott...

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: You couldn't be more right... Nice way to celebrate Marvel's flag, Slott...

After 2008 everything for Spidey is just wrong....(comics,TV,etc)

Except ASM movie which is promising,and of cource Spectacular Spider-Man tv show...

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Spiderman fans are in agony! We're dying here, Marvel!!!! Help us out!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#98 vance_astro  Moderator

After 2008 everything for Spidey is just wrong....(comics,TV,etc)

ASM has been AMAZING (no pun intended) since '08. In fact it's one of the only books that were consistently good during that time.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.