Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Why is Spectacular Spider-Man seen as the best Spidey show ever?

• 149 results
    PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#101  Edited By PunyParker

@Overseer said:

@jobiwankenobi: Yeah, while I don't like some of the voice cast of SM:TAS, others like Christopher Barnes, Mark Hamill, Jennifer Hale (as Felisha), Jim Cummings, Ed Asner and those who played Kingpin, Aunt May and Robbie Robertson were great.

I didnt like Jennifer Hale....(sorry) as Felicia i prefer Tricia Helfer...a lot

As for the others, yes they were pretty good for the times......the best voice acting is in Spectacular....from ALL of them

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#102  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Because it is. It's animation was unique and charming, it's voice acting was perfect (USM has the most generic voices ever). It's script was clever and mature and caught the true essence of peter's character and that of the others while at the same time having nough differences to make it stand out. uSM is a series for small children whereas sSM is a series for grownuos and adults.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#103  Edited By TDK_1997

Because the show had great writing and great character development.It had humor and good action and it introduced the Spider-Man villains and characters in a great way.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By PunyParker

Cancell it already......or make it drastically better..(more adult-ish....c'mon Bendis!!)

hypCOMICAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By hypCOMICAL

i opinions about the ultimate spider-man cartoon, pretty much parallel what this guy said about it

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#106  Edited By Hazlenaut

Spectacular Spiderman had the advantage was made at a good time. The 90 animated series was made during clone wars while ultimate Spiderman was during one more day or one moment of time. They needed to improvise and had to avoid certain things that were in continuity.

KCJ5062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By KCJ5062

One thing I've often noticed is that over 90% of the people that complain about Spectacular, never really watched it and are mainly judging it by the art style(which they keep mixing up with animation) Really shows that these people aren't very good critics.

Art style doesn't make or break a show. What makes a show good is good writing, stories, character development etc. Ultimate Spider-man has a better art style. But that doesn't automatically mean it's better. I mean I came across someone on Youtube actually saying that Spectacular was a "kiddy show" because of the art style and that Ultimate Spider-man was a "darker show" for the same reason.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By Suprman

Greg Weisman was a Writer/ Producer on Spectacular Spider-Man, 'Nuff Said.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By PunyParker

@Suprman said:

Greg Weisman was a Writer/ Producer on Spectacular Spider-Man, 'Nuff Said.

Agreed...!

Sapperjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Sapperjak

I have reads parts of this thread because I get discouraged to read after seeing the same arguments over and over again.. My point is that I need to watch spectacular spider-man because I have never seen it. I was actually deployed to Iraq while this show aired. Spider-man the animated series has always been my favorite. I will have to watch Spectacular Spider-man now.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By PunyParker

@Sapperjak said:

I have reads parts of this thread because I get discouraged to read after seeing the same arguments over and over again.. My point is that I need to watch spectacular spider-man because I have never seen it. I was actually deployed to Iraq while this show aired. Spider-man the animated series has always been my favorite. I will have to watch Spectacular Spider-man now.

Thats my boy!

Another addicted to SSM member coming up!!

Sapperjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Sapperjak

@PunyParker Right on! The 90's animated series is my favorite but if so many agree that SSM was great then I must watch it. I am a diehard fan period. I will watch the shows even if they are horribly bad. My favorite characters are Spider-man, Silver Surfer, and Snake Eyes. I watched all 13 awesome episodes of the Silver Surfer animated series and I am sad the no one has done something with him as far as another series goes. I am not a huge fan of the G4 shows but I still watch them. I even watched Xmen evo! It is not hard to be a good comic book based t. Show writer, read the comic and write the story! Sure throw a few unexpected twists in but for the most part follow the book! There is always room for parts that are not in the books.. For instance have you ever read a comic and wondered while reading a page that only shows spider-man, "I wonder what his adversary was doing at this exact moment?" well, right there is an opportunity to expand the story and show something the comic didn't.. As much as I love to give my opinion I also love to hear others so please comment. -Andy

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By PunyParker

@Sapperjak: SSM was a great show.....Ultimate is ruining what Spiderman really is for kids....(im a kid myself....a mean kids 8-15....so im older than that!)

I started fanatically reading comics 2 years ago with Ultimate Spider-Man....(im a Spidey fan since i was 5,but no comics till 2 years ago...)

Give it a chance! (Spec.Spiderman) you wont regret it....at all!!

My fav superheroes are Spiderman,Batman and Deadpool !......ok the first one is 2-3 scales above the other two :) !

ZenTzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By ZenTzen

I recently watched the whole show and i must say its the best Spidey show i've seen, its really good, why hasnt marvel continued this, they already have the rights to the show right, so what is the matter with them, is there really no chance this can return for a 3rd season, i also watched a couple episodes of the ultimate show and i cant believe SSM got canceled for that one

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#115  Edited By PurpleCandy

Depends what your into, Ultimate Spider-Man makes some funny good jokes. If you ask me, like some reviewers have said, it's Marvel meets Family Guy (In that some of the jokes are pretty truthful). Although it can be pretty boring, theres a few episodes that were flat dumb I won't watch again. I love the episodes where he meets and teams up with other heroes, my favorite is the the Wolverine episode. Other than the team-up episodes, it's pretty bland.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#116  Edited By danhimself

@ZenTzen said:

I recently watched the whole show and i must say its the best Spidey show i've seen, its really good, why hasnt marvel continued this, they already have the rights to the show right, so what is the matter with them, is there really no chance this can return for a 3rd season, i also watched a couple episodes of the ultimate show and i cant believe SSM got canceled for that one

Marvel could continue SSM but they would have to pay Sony to use the character designs

ZenTzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By ZenTzen

@danhimself: Yeah, it would be awesome if they could come to an agreement an continue the show

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By acer51

Spectacular is the reflection of Toby Maguire and Ultimate is the reflection of Andy Garfield.

ZenTzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By ZenTzen

@acer51 said:

Spectacular is the reflection of Toby Maguire and Ultimate is the reflection of Andy Garfield.

what, no, where did that come from

sintuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By sintuit

^ yes I agree, acer51's comment was unwarranted. Toby Maguire is very different from Spectacular's Spiderman.

I made an account just to post in this thread.

I can't believe there are other people out here that have watched the Spectacular Spiderman! I thought I was the only one that watched this show (well everyone I knew around me irl had never seen it, and I almost missed it too but luckily youtube had it so watched it there a year after it aired) since it only had a 2 season run a few years ago. It is definitely my favorite spiderman show tied with Spiderman: TAS. Spiderman TAS is just so much nostalgia, I still get a boner thinking about the Black Cat.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By acer51

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

I meant in quality.

ZenTzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By ZenTzen

@acer51 said:

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

I meant in quality.

But its not, Andy Garfield made a better spider-man than tobey maguire, and ASM movie actually did a better job of translating the comics to movie format(sure it had problems but it did a better job than the reimi films), so spectacular should be the refection of Garfield and ultimate should be a reflection of Maguire(but this is a disservice to toby really)

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By acer51

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

I meant in quality.

But its not, Andy Garfield made a better spider-man than tobey maguire, and ASM movie actually did a better job of translating the comics to movie format(sure it had problems but it did a better job than the reimi films), so spectacular should be the refection of Garfield and ultimate should be a reflection of Maguire(but this is a disservice to toby really)

Andys movie sucked, it wasn't about shy Peter Parker, it was about a confident hipster skate boarder becoming a confident hipster superhero.

ZenTzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By ZenTzen

@acer51 said:

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

I meant in quality.

Andys movie sucked, it wasn't about shy Peter Parker, it was about a confident hipster skate boarder becoming a confident hipster superhero.

And thats where we disagree, i could go on a whole rant on why ASM was a better movie and how it did a better job at bringing the peter from the comics to the movie screen, but thats beside the point this thread is about spectacular spider-man not the movies

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#125  Edited By cameron83

@mewmdude77 said:

I've been looking around at what people say about the Ultimate Spider-Man show, and people are always: Oh, Spectacular was so much better! How?

I liked it. I won't deny it, but it's not perfect though! Like in Spectacular, when Peter got the symbiote, he got all moody, emo, and angry, like in Spider-Man 3, which was hated by these same exact fans. Why the hypocricy? What's different about him being emo in the movie, and in the show?

For me, I like Ultimate Spider-Man better so far. It has better animation, better voice acting, and I like the Ultimate universe. It's a fun one. I like how they made it a team thing, since Fury would need to train the young heroes anyways. The fourth wall jokes are pretty good, it shows he can be goofy. Lots of shows do fourth wall stuff now, so why not Spidey?

same here

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By acer51

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

I meant in quality.

And thats where we disagree, i could go on a whole rant on why ASM was a better movie and how it did a better job at bringing the peter from the comics to the movie screen, but thats beside the point this thread is about spectacular spider-man not the movies

I know I was comparing the two most recent Spider-man cartoons.

Ultimate is like Andy Garfield and Spectacular is like Toby.

ZenTzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By ZenTzen

@acer51 said:

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

I meant in quality.

And i disagree with you

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By acer51

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

@ZenTzen said:

@acer51 said:

I meant in quality.

And i disagree with you

I think we can both live with this.

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acer51 said:

Toby was a whiny and unfunny, seriously without the nostalgia, many people can see why he wasn't a good spider-man or peter parker.

SpideyFan113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By SpideyFan113

Spectacular Spider-man was the best Spidey show ever. It gave a sweet, beautiful feeling to newcomers and Spidey fans alike. Because the show made a bunch of shout outs to Spider-man comics (covers, story arcs, etc.) I thought I could call out everything, but it surprised me in imaginative ways. Also the writing, voice actors, villians, plot, and everything else was just beautiful. Whether you were new or always been a fan, the show entertained you.

Unlike Ultimate Spider-man, that treats its viewers like a bunch of dumbasses that will point and laugh at everything they "want" you to think is funny. Spider-man is given a crappy voice actor, the character itself is ruined for comedy purposes, and it makes Spider-man look like the worst superhero Marvel has when IMO he's the best superhero ever made. It fundamentally destroys me as both a Spidey fan and a fan of good television. Even a fan of keeping my brain cells; I swear I feel stupider everytime I get a glimpse of the show (for example, I just said stupider :P).

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By PunyParker

@SpideyFan113 said:

(for example, I just said stupider :P).

Ha......you almost got me there..

AllNewOverseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#132  Edited By AllNewOverseer

@PunyParker: I do agree with that. I was just saying that the voice acting for SM: TAS was mixed for me. And Tricia Helfer is a superior Felicia to Ms. Hale as much as I love her, though my favorite Black Cat VA is Ali Hillis from the Amazing Spider-Man game. (yeah my official Spidey VA cast can be wierd.)

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By acer51

@Death Certificate said:

@acer51 said:

Toby was a whiny and unfunny, seriously without the nostalgia, many people can see why he wasn't a good spider-man or peter parker.

He was very funny, of course when you said the you were probably thinking about #3, which was the worst one.

I thought Toby was the perfect representation of Spiderman during his college years, he acted alot like parker.

Now if you don't like parker then there's your problem.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By PunyParker

@Overseer: uuummm.....Yeah,she's pretty good(Hillis) but she's trying a bit.....not natural...(for me,i dont critisize you or anything :) )

Tricia is calm,sexy and dangerous....i liked her since Web Of Shadows! (and of cource in Spectacular!

KCJ5062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By KCJ5062

One thing that really irritates is the mentality some people have that anyone that prefers the newer shows over the older ones are just kids. It's interesting because fans of Spectacular(or the so called kids) actually back up their reasons and judge it by it's writing, stories etc. Whereas the majority of the so-called adults try to be "hardcore" and base their only argument against the show by it's visual aspects. That would mean that the kids are smarter and more rational than them.

But for Ultimate it's the opposite. People that don't like the show have genuwine reasons and fans of the show normally just say "Shut up! It's not for you! It's a kids show!" So when the main thing people have to complain about Spectacular is it's visuals, and about the only positive thing a lot of people have to say about Ultimate is it's visuals, then what does that tell you?

MKSKILLZ16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By MKSKILLZ16

Spider-Man: The New Animated Series represent.

ShiningLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By ShiningLegend

@acer51: Everyone, chill! Toby was a great Spidey, Andy was a great spidey! They both had and lacked individual traits from their comic book counterparts. In the comics, Peter Parker was more intelligent (Andy's spidey built Web-Shooters), in the comics Peter Parker was geeky (Toby), in the comics Spidey struggled with guilt for his uncle's death (Toby), in the comics Spidey went for Gwen first (Andy). Seriously, get back on topic or I'll report spam...Sheeshhhhh..We are talking about Spectacular Spider-Man's status as greatest animated representation of Spidey, not Toby and Andy's status as in who is the best actor. Take your discussion to a new thread please.

On topic, I believe Spectacular Spider-Man is the best due to its dialogue, quips, brilliant writing, and justice to the characters. The continuity is the best I have ever seen in an animated series.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By acer51

@ShiningLegend: Except I don't think Andy was a great Spidey.

Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acer51 said:

@Death Certificate said:

@acer51 said:

He was very funny, of course when you said the you were probably thinking about #3, which was the worst one.

I thought Toby was the perfect representation of Spiderman during his college years, he acted alot like parker.

Now if you don't like parker then there's your problem.

Thought most of the movies, he barely cracks a joke, I remember more scenes of toby being mopey than him pulling out quips

Sure toby got the nerdy part right, but overacted on sad emotions, to the point he end up being crybaby.

I like peter parker and spiderman but, Toby wasn't good as either of them.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By acer51

@Death Certificate: Only in number 3, he cried there but that was basically it.

And Andrew Garfield didn't "quip" much either.

Don't get me wrong that joke about knives was funny, too bad we already saw it 100 times in everyone of his trailers.

Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acer51: Toby was mopey in spider-man 2 as well

KCJ5062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By KCJ5062

Peter crying in the first two movies were completely appropriate when dealing with Uncle Ben. In the third, you want get an argument from me here. Especially during the break-up scene. While under the influence of the symbiote, crying because he got dumped was just out of character for someone who's supposed to be more dark, brooding, and aggressive.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#143  Edited By Teerack
    PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By PunyParker

@Teerack: Nuff said!

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By acer51

@Death Certificate: I don't remember him being mopey, if he complained about anything he was doing it about as much as he does in the comics.

But this new Spiderman's a jerk, he didn't learn with great power comes great responsability.

He learned that promises you can't keep are fun.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#146  Edited By Strider1992

@acer51 said:

@Death Certificate: I don't remember him being mopey, if he complained about anything he was doing it about as much as he does in the comics.

But this new Spiderman's a jerk, he didn't learn with great power comes great responsability.

He learned that promises you can't keep are fun.

Although I liked ASM they really screwed up Peter's personality on that part. I have a feeling they're going to use it as a guilt trip for when Gwen dies in a kind of "oh maybe if i'd stayed away like her dad said Norman Osborn wouldn't have chucked her off a bridge" kind of deal. I guess its also kind of believable as todays kids don't do anything you tell them anyway so I can see why it works.

Does it mean I like they did it though? Nope

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By acer51

@Strider92: Maybe Spider-man would have understood with great power comes great responsibility if Uncle Ben would have just said it.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By PunyParker

How is Ultimate doing?....any better?..worse?.....watchable? i havent watched any ep since June so....im curious!

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spectacular spiderman is 5000000000000000x better than ultimate spiderman in my opinion

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.