Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

who created spiderman

emptytomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By emptytomb

based on articles
    if Jack Kirby had suggested the idea to Stan L ee than Kirby is the creator of spiderman though his custome was rejected. He may not be the creator of the custome but he came up with the idea and first design.  It seems weird that Ditko would admit kirby had involvement and stan lee denies. Some evidence might be missing esp. due to the fact kirby suggested and created it when not working for Marvel. Stan lee seems to have stolen the idea and published it but that doesn't mean  he created spiderman. In the name Spider-man  or spiderman  there is no difference actually. Spiderman resembles kirbys creation. His family members are not proof nor do they deserve money.  

emptytomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By emptytomb

that kirbys spiderman used as evidence to claim kirby didn't create the custome resembles antman which he had already created and I'm sure wasn't the spiderman he created / final product.
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Green Skin

Lee and Ditko obviously.  Even if Kirby suggested the idea, he still doesn't deserve credit.   An idea is one thing, a finished product is another completely.  Lee and Ditko did the work and they deserve the credit.....well probably Ditko more than Lee XD.  It takes a lot more evidence to claim the creator credit than a crappy costume that looks like Captain America.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Only thing I've ever heard of regarding Kirbys involvment is that he drew the cover to Amazing Fantasy # 15.
    Even if he put forward the name there's a lot more to creating a character than that. Stans characters have a certain style to them that Spideys has. Kirbys ideas were always a bit more far out. The New Gods for instance. Even a non comic fan can see the huge thematic differences in their creations.

emptytomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By emptytomb
    @Green Skin:
    That would be the case only if Stan Lee had not known that kirby was creating Spiderman. It seems Kirby and Stan lee were creating spiderman while not working and while working for Marvel. Ditko seems to have stepped in to help along the way. Kirby created spiderman. Ditko just might have created the custome. WIthout Kirby there would be no spiderman though it would take stan lee to make him popular. It is unkown whether Ditko means Jack Kirby helped in creating spiderman or spiderman the custome. I disbelieve that the spiderman presented was what jack kirby created since it resembles Ant man which he had already created.   If you notice jack Kirby characters are well created and sophisticated  looking than the picture shown. Ditko and Kirby might have created the final custome or Ditko might have added some final touches like the webs going down his arms but stan lee wants to deny it because kirby might not have been working for Marvel at that time
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Green Skin
    @emptytomb:   I still don't buy it.  Kirby may have created a character called Spiderman, but it's not the same Spiderman everyone knows and loves.  It's a bit like Captain Marvel in my opinion, sure the 2 versions share the same name, but that's about it.     What is this based on anyhow?  Just a sketch and a comment from Ditko? I'm interested in reading more on it, so anything you could steer me to would be awesome.
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Lee and Ditko but Jack Kirby did make contributions to the character and he drew the cover for his first appearance

emptytomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By emptytomb

that picture was presented in court when kirbys family filed suit by stan lee and Marvel but I think their is more evidence that was withheld.  Its really unclear and unkown what Dikto was referring by saying Jack Kirby helped. I'm sure if you google who created spiderman you might find more evidence. Maybe Kirby and Stan lee were paid a huge amount to keep their mouths shut.
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

According to the book about Ditko, Strange and Stranger: The World of Steve Ditko, Kirby came up with the idea that a young boy (living his his angry Thunderbolt Ross type military father, and living next to a scientist) gets a magic ring that turns the young boy into the adult Spiderman.  Kirby did about 5 pages of his idea and submitted them.  Somewhere exists his Spiderman pages, proof of how much of his idea was used.  According to Ditko Kirby's idea was too close to his previous idea for the Fly, so Stan wrote a synopsis that he and Ditko submitted their idea about ayoung teenager who gains powers, the death of his uncle Ben, getting more problems once he became Spider-Man, and all that.  So, from what the book says, Lee came up with the main idea of Spider-Man that everyone loves and Ditko came up with the costume, as well as several other story elements that make Spider-Man who he is like Spider-Man's poses.  As for Dikto creating the costume, I read some place that Ditko was angry at Lee because Lee thought because the concept was his idea that he created Spider-man even though Ditko brought him to life and was in charge of the comic since issue 10.  He says he came up with the costume and all the visuals and most of the ideas, like keeping the character down to Earth.  So He sort of claims, I think, that the costume was his idea.
    Ditko also says this was his cover: 

Ditko's Original Cover
    Ditko's Original Cover

This was Kirby's cover:
    No Caption Provided

I sure would love to see those Spiderman pages drawn by Jack Kirby, if only to see what his character was like.
    The Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By The Jeff

a great comic mystery that will never be solved

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.