Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17239 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Where did they go wrong with Amazing Spider-Man 2 film?

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

You know, because they had just done another reboot making Andrew Garfield the new SM and it worked pretty well, at least for the first film. What went wrong in the 2nd? Was it the awful job they had done on the villain Green Goblin (and Electro)?

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Both Amazing movies were mediocre.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

hah, if you read that with no context it's pretty funny

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
    TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@the_waffle said:

hah, if you read that with no context it's pretty funny

If I had reddit gold (and cash) I'd give you one.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say it went wrong at the beginning...LOL

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My kids bought the DVD for me for Fathers Day. We all fell asleep at various points during it. What an incredibly dumb and boring film.

BlackSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where did they go wrong?

First, the motivation for this remake was the worst possible. Sony had to make a movie to keep the rights away from Marvel.

The first movie was not good, but the second really tanked the new franchise.

The reasons:

Sony was green with envy of the several millions of dollars Marvel made with the Avengers and the prospect of much more millions the following movies would make. So, they wanted to catch up Marvel and transformed The Amazing Spider-Man in a "Cinematic Universe".

They planned to make a movie with the Sinister six and Peter wearing the alien symbio suit and having a romance with Black Cat) and a following movie with Spidey facing Venom. And they needed to set up all this (aka world building), they needed to introduce the members of the sinister six, Felicia Hardy and get rid of Gwen Stacy to clean the patch to the new love interest (Peter could not be seen as a adulterer) so they decided to adapt The Death of Gwen Stacy.

The decision of adapt Gwen's death was what destroyed TASM2 because the writers/director/Sony made all movie orbit this event, all movie was about it. The movie already had a villain (Electro), but in ASM 121, Gwen died because of the Green Goblin, so they introduced him, so now the movie had two villains and had to introduce and develop them and the only way to do this is while focusing in one villain is to push the other aside. Worst still, they really wanted to the audience to cry when Gwen die, so they dedicated a huge amount of screentime to the romance, time that should have being dedicated to the villains, at the end Green Goblin and Electro were really underdeveloped and their motivations were laughable. Electro hated Spider-Man because he forgot his name and Harry hates Spidey/Peter because he refused to give him his blood. They team up, Electro fights Spidey alone and is defeated and after that Harry appears, takes Gwen Stacey and she dies in a clock tower located inside a power plant. Plus, we had a LOT of set ups for the next movie, a subplot with Aunt May becoming a nurse to help Peter to pay the college, introduced Black Cat and bring the boring explanation to Peter's parent subplot. Such clusterfuck.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

what has been buried, let it remain that way

also,

I would say it went wrong at the beginning...LOL

MsSelene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I didn't like the first movie either.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

In my opinion, Amazing Spider-Man 2 had too many villains.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 114

I think Sider-man movie (2002) was awesome and I lot of people think that as well. I don't know why you think it wasn't good?

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacksuit said:

I think Sider-man movie (2002) was awesome and I lot of people think that as well. I don't know why you think it wasn't good?

Read, dude

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 114

@izamanaick: I read the sentence wrong so I got confused.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By jumpstart55
    1. Hmm idk considering how good The first Amazing Spider Man was and how it was a superior film to all the Ramis movies except for 2.
    2. I guess they tried to be to ambitious by cramming an excessive amount of crap into one movie similar to what BVS tried to do..But id say the main problems was way too many cooks in the kitchen i.e way too many writers working on one script.
    Dedonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacksuit pretty much nailed the reason on its head. Sony was trying to do what MCU did with 5 movies (Iron Man 1/2, Hulk, Captain America, and Thor) with only 2 movies. Sony only had 278 minutes to build things up, while Marvel had 601 minutes of run-time. And Sony isn't alone with this fault. Fox wanted to make a Cinematic Universe that connected the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. DC/Warner Brothers has tried twice to establish a DC Cinematic universe, once with Green Lantern and a second time with Man of Steel/Batman v. Superman. Sure, these movies also had other faults (Green Lantern and Fant4stic just bombed and Batman v. Superman needed to be produced without getting major portions of the movie being left on the cutting block), the common flaw is that these studios want to get in on the "Cinematic Universe" action on the quick and easy. They're too busy thinking of what the next movie will be before creating a solid first movie (even Iron Man 2 and Avengers 2 were guilty of this). And apparently Sony didn't learn from ASM2 because I have read that they wanted Ghostbusters to be their "cinematic universe" (Guess who was involved with both Ghostbusters and ASM2 Amy Pascal).

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is basically a 142 minute long trailer for a movie that we will never see. Sony was so focused on setting up the Sinister Six that they forgot to make a good Spider-Man movie. They were trying to do too much within a limited amount of time. They had Aunt May training to become a nurse, which did not add much other than allowing her to have a scene during the blackout (which again was probably unnecessary. The scene with the two planes set on a colliding course was probably enough for setting the stakes of the blackout). There was the plot about Peter's parents. While I will admit that this plot was Sony actually trying something new (we didn't even hear anything about Peter's parents in the original trilogy), in the ASM2, the mystery of Peter's parents did not add anything to the movie. In fact, I cannot even think how it even advanced the story. Sony needed to pick a story and stick with it, instead of trying to throwing everything and the kitchen sink into it.

BlackSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedonus: Pretty much. The studios want so hard to make the money Marvel is doing that they think it is a race to catch up Marvel and try to rush things just to have a big Avenge's like movie instead of build up the Cinematic Universe carefully. Warner is committing the same mistake with Batman v Superman cramming five different movies in one. The great differential of Marvel Studios is because they care about the Intellectual Property and treat it with care for the source material, the other studios (mainly Fox) just saw it as cash cows. MS is more like a shepherd and the others are like poachers.

TASM2 was the worst Spider-Man movie of all. And the following movie could be worst. They introduced the Sinister Six just showing Vulture wings, DocOck arms and other weapons in a room plus the awful finale with the Rhino (that promise for more sounded more like a threat). The movie also would have Mary Jane (they cut her introduction in TASM2) and Peter parents would return from the dead! Rumors said they would bring back Captain Stacy, Peter's parents and even Gwen Stacey and Uncle Ben using some resurrection device.

Spider-Man: Homecoming seems promising, but Sony still lurking around, Amy Pascal is co-producer and Tom Rothman, the guy that screwed Daredevil, Electra, Fantastic Four, the first Wolverine movie, approved the Fant4stic reboot and refused to give green light to Deadpool is now on Sony and was him that approved the Venom movie they want to make.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

l loved this moive. my only problem was the fact that peter didn't give harry his blood. harry was already dying. he wasn't putting harry in anymore danger. also, electro had no motivation to hate spiderman. he was the only one that defended him. even in that great times square scene, peter was trying to protect him. despite all that i loved this movie. tobey actually nailed spiderman. he was telling jokes as spidey. he was also serious as peter. spidey as OP as heck in this movie, though. i didn't have a problem with that though.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Besides the new suit and Emma Stone? Everything else with that movie.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It was Sony

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedonus: said

(Guess who was involved with both Ghostbusters and ASM2 Amy Pascal).

Yep, one of many reasons why I'm not keen on the Marvel Studios / Sony collaboration. I really hope Kevin Fiege pulls the reigns on Amy Pascal.

heroesgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing the series had going for it was Gwen Stacy and I guess Andrew does play a good Spider-man, but other than that everything else was pretty eh, from Peter (I'm an outcast watch me brood all the time and wine) Parker to the villain's who don't really have a motive to be bad, but do bad things anyway.

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's my two cents:

They chose to adapt the Death of Gwen Stacy, one of the most iconic moments in comics history, and did a poor job portraying it.

DoGS needed to be it's own film that had been built up to, but here it was just tacked on as an after thought. If they were going to do Electro, they should have just focused on Electro. You can't make something as heavy as DoGS come in second to a villain like Electro. Also they didn't really deal with the fall out from Gwen's death very well.

The ending should have been a sad one. It should't have ended with him fighting Rhino (a fight that we didn't even get to see, just as tacked on and forced). It should have ended with Peter heartbroken sitting alone in his apartment. The third movie could pick up and he's still miserable, but it's been months then in the begin the first act with a REAL Rhino fight and show how Gwen's death is affecting Peter.

They didn't build up to the moment. They weren't ready to do Death of Gwen Stacy yet. Too eager to do it, and they screwed it up.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedonus: said

(Guess who was involved with both Ghostbusters and ASM2 Amy Pascal).

Yep, one of many reasons why I'm not keen on the Marvel Studios / Sony collaboration.

Amy Pascal no longer works there, thankfully. She was fired over a year and a half ago, but obviously has ties to some of the films and stuff so she still gets to work on stuff e.g. Goatbastards and Spider-Man (she was one of the people who wanted Marvel to produce a trilogy because they ballsed it up so badly). The only reason why the actress who played Aunt May joined ASM was because it was her friend's (Pascal) last film (series).

I really hope Kevin Fiege pulls the reigns on Amy Pascal.

Me too.

Avatar image for deactivated-59848080e4380
    deactivated-59848080e4380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An unfocused narrative and overstuffed plot were the two major factors which caused the film to suffer.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing the series had going for it was Gwen Stacy and I guess Andrew does play a good Spider-man, but other than that everything else was pretty eh, from Peter (I'm an outcast watch me brood all the time and wine) Parker to the villain's who don't really have a motive to be bad, but do bad things anyway.

he doesn't really brood nor even whine. the only times he brood are when he has a hard time at school and when things don't go well for him when dealing with his Spidey life. Lizard's motive was to help cure the world and actually revolutionize new medicine but with the side effects of the serum he actually saw humanity as weak and fragile . so he tried to improve Humanity into something better and also more helpful. Electro thought Spidey was setting him up after a police hit him and after he saw Spidey keep getting attention and cheers while Electro gets treated as a freakish monster which is actually a more reasonable and a more human thing to do and react especiaoly after you just turned into a Godlike being and immediately get treated as a freakish monster .

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.