Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

What Spider-Man Story Do You Think Is the Most Overrated?

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
    deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Which Spider-Man story do you think is the most overrated?

For me, it's Maximum Carnage. That story is just style over substance. It completely killed Carnage for me.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Maximum Carnage is conciderd a good story?!.....really?....

I'd say Slott's Spider-island....people say it's one of Slott's best......c'mon....people getting Spider-Powers and then becoming giant spiders??....it screams lazy writing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Most people think Maximum Carnage is a fun story--I thought it was mind-numbingly boring and stupid. I was considering getting the Spider-Island TPB, but it was only to get issues 6-9 of Venom.

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Night Thrasher

The Other...it's good not great and I'm a huge fan of JMS's Amazing run

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'd say Slott's Spider-island....people say it's one of Slott's best......c'mon....people getting Spider-Powers and then becoming giant spiders??....it screams lazy writing.

You can pretty much say that about any story premise. I think Spider-Island is a good story.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Spiderman's Origin story arc.

(I've always hated everyone's origins though)

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PunyParker

Spiderman's Origin story arc.

(I've always hated everyone's origins though)

U mean that 1 issue?....

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Agreed

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By InnerVenom123

When people say Maximum Carnage was good, they're probably referring to the videogame.

Anyway.

The Other. A lot of things about The Other.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123

@punyparker said:

How is that lazy? The premise of the story is that everyone gets spider-powers and it goes horribly wrong and Spider-man has to stop it. Calling it lazy doesn't even make any sense.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

@punyparker said:

It is one of Slott's best.

It's complete crap, but that's still better than most of Slott's work. He had one half-decent arc (Big Time), that's literally it. The rest has been an exercise in awful.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My wife agrees, she hates that story she said it was very silly and she did not like how the characters reacted to having powers.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:

My wife agrees, she hates that story she said it was very silly and she did not like how the characters reacted to having powers.

What about the fact that Spidey has one female villain... who is turned into a giant spider and then killed.

For no real reason.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By spider11211

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:

What about the fact that Spidey has one female villain... who is turned into a giant spider and then killed.

For no real reason.

She thought that was silly also. Just for the record she also does not like the new direction of the book and wanted to cancel it after issue 1, I convinced her to try it longer and it has since been canceled.

To gain insight on her she is a die hard fan. She has a car with Spider-man floor mats, steering wheel, air freshener, and hanging spider-man. Her car is also in the Spider-man colors. We have a comic room that has over 50 Spider-man toys (and other characters) and we nearly have all of the Spider-man comics (we are a few short on the Amazing run).

She will not get anymore Spider-man items until Peter is back, she says that she finds the new direction offensive and disgusting.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@spider11211 said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:

For no real reason.

She thought that was silly also. Just for the record she also does not like the new direction of the book and wanted to cancel it after issue 1, I convinced her to try it longer and it has since been canceled.

To gain insight on her she is a die hard fan. She has a car with Spider-man floor mats, steering wheel, air freshener, and hanging spider-man. Her car is also in the Spider-man colors. We have a comic room that has over 50 Spider-man toys (and other characters) and we nearly have all of the Spider-man comics (we are a few short on the Amazing run).

She will not get anymore Spider-man items until Peter is back, she says that she finds the new direction offensive and disgusting.

Your wife is a champion.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211 said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:

For no real reason.

Your wife is a champion.

I am a lucky man. For her birthday she wanted me to take her out for a steak dinner and then to the Wolverine movie.

We also watch football and Hockey together. The only flaw I have issue with is that she likes Twilight.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:

For no real reason.

You lucky SOB. She is a boss on this recent direction :P

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By spider11211

@lvenger said:

@spider11211 said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:

For no real reason.

I agree, I feel like a lucky man that does not deserve what I have. She also gave me a wonderful boy.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@lvenger said:

@spider11211 said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:

For no real reason.

I agree, I feel like a lucky man that does not deserve what I have. She also gave me a wonderful boy.

The right woman can make you feel like that :P

heroesgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By spider11211

This is what the wife thinks of Slott's work.

photo tumblr_mbpfw9kww91rg7q18o1_500.gif

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Spider-Island.One of the most mediocre story arcs ever.The whole idea is just too simple and it just has lazy writing all over it.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

Spider-Island.One of the most mediocre story arcs ever.The whole idea is just too simple and it just has lazy writing all over it.

photo cHSqp.gif

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Ninjablade09

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:

For no real reason.

Dude your wife is awesome.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@tdk_1997 said:

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PunyParker

@innervenom123 said:

@punyparker said:

How is that lazy? The premise of the story is that everyone gets spider-powers and it goes horribly wrong and Spider-man has to stop it. Calling it lazy doesn't even make any sense.

C'mon dude.As an idea it's silly.I wanted a serious approach to this.A pandemia from witch everyone gets spider-powers?.....and the Jackal & Queen are involved?....noooo thank you.

The pandemia idea ia old and overused.It his last big story arc before ASM 700.He was already thinking about introdusing Peter-Pus.

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:

I like your wife.....(that came out wrong....DONT WORRY,i have a girlfriend!)

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211: @tdk_1997: So it's Barney Stinson gif day!!! Can i play?!

@punyparker said:

It is one of Slott's best.

It's complete crap, but that's still better than most of Slott's work. He had one half-decent arc (Big Time), that's literally it. The rest has been an exercise in awful.

Yeah,preety much.Half a BigTime and EoE were enjoyable.I like the oneshots too.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By spider11211

@innervenom123 said:

@punyparker said:

C'mon dude.As an idea it's silly.I wanted a serious approach to this.A pandemia from witch everyone gets spider-powers?.....and the Jackal & Queen are involved?....noooo thank you.

The pandemia idea ia old and overused.It his last big story arc before ASM 700.He was already thinking about introdusing Peter-Pus.

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:

I like your wife.....(that came out wrong....DONT WORRY,i have a girlfriend!)

No problem, it is all good!

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

To me I read a bunch of random events happening, it got interesting seeing people get spider powers at once point, but then they all turned into giant spiders and I was like uh...okay. The only good thing from that book is Kaine's return. It was basically a Zombie story but with Spider monsters

inkBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The current one. There's nothing redeemable about it for me. If you like it, good for you. I don't share your opinion.

I kinda liked Spider-Island. But in retrospect, the idea was much better than the execution.

Darkseid011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By Darkseid011

New ultimate spiderman.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMD.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:

For no real reason.

I have to admit that I liked Superior Spider-Man at first, but the last few issues have bored me. I actually used to be a big supporter of the book, but it's gotten really bland. I stopped reading at issue 14. I thought Dan Slott knew what he was doing, but I was wrong. It's mostly just Spider-Man brutally beating (and even killing) villains. That was an interesting idea at first, but now it's just repetitive.I can think of other interesting directions that the story can go, but it hasn't gone anywhere, so I've officially dropped the title. I also won't buy another new issue of Spider-Man until Peter returns.

Marvel knows just how pissed off people are that Peter's dead, his relationship with MJ is no more, and so on, but they just don't seem to care. They just keep pissing on one of their best characters. Screw you, Marvel--Spider-Man deserves better.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acer51 said:

OMD.

People would actually have to like OMD for it to be considered overrated.

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original Hobgoblin arc between ASM 238-275(more or less). Hobby just never became a serious threat IMO.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryagan said:

@spider11211 said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:

For no real reason.

I have to admit that I liked Superior Spider-Man at first, but the last few issues have bored me. I actually used to be a big supporter of the book, but it's gotten really bland. I stopped reading at issue 14. I thought Dan Slott knew what he was doing, but I was wrong. It's mostly just Spider-Man brutally beating (and even killing) villains. That was an interesting idea at first, but now it's just repetitive.I can think of other interesting directions that the story can go, but it hasn't gone anywhere, so I've officially dropped the title. I also won't buy another new issue of Spider-Man until Peter returns.

Marvel knows just how pissed off people are that Peter's dead, his relationship with MJ is no more, and so on, but they just don't seem to care. They just keep pissing on one of their best characters. Screw you, Marvel--Spider-Man deserves better.

Wow.......That was powerfull

Also,the thing that intelligent people DOESNT seem to see the difference in the behaviour of Peter and SpOck is so f*cking annoying.I picked up the 2 Spider-related issues this Wednesday and read them......Kaine acts stupid.Like the rest of the spider supporting characters.I dont Blame Yost,he isnt in charge of the Spider universe.His writing was excellent.As always.The story was dum,and lead to nowhere,and we are where we were....noone knowing who SpOck is really.Carly is moving slower than a sleeping turtle,and we get nothing out of this.

This is useless.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PunyParker

@kcjr said:

The original Hobgoblin arc between ASM 238-275(more or less). Hobby just never became a serious threat IMO.

Maybe....interesting.I'll re-read it,and i'll get back to ya.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By spider11211

@ryagan said:

@spider11211 said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@spider11211 said:

@punyparker said:

For no real reason.

Wow.......That was powerfull

Also,the thing that intelligent people DOESNT seem to see the difference in the behaviour of Peter and SpOck is so f*cking annoying.I picked up the 2 Spider-related issues this Wednesday and read them......Kaine acts stupid.Like the rest of the spider supporting characters.I dont Blame Yost,he isnt in charge of the Spider universe.His writing was excellent.As always.The story was dum,and lead to nowhere,and we are where we were....noone knowing who SpOck is really.Carly is moving slower than a sleeping turtle,and we get nothing out of this.

This is useless.

photo 20363-200bdcefdba73c3213706b984cad361b.gif

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Yeah, 238 had an awesome cover but then he never came close to how bad-@$$ he looked on it.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PunyParker

@kcjr said:

@punyparker: Yeah, 238 had an awesome cover but then he never came close to how bad-@$$ he looked on it.

Oh yeah...

Dedonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcjr said:

Oh yeah...

Was that the one where the Hobgoblin gave the Goblin formula first to one of his henchmen and had that guy fight Spidey first?

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. If I recall properly that's how it went.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedonus said:

@punyparker said:

@kcjr said:

Oh yeah...

Was that the one where the Hobgoblin gave the Goblin formula first to one of his henchmen and had that guy fight Spidey first?

I think that's the one....correct me if im wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.