Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

What makes Batman stay number one compared to Spider-Man?

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As a franchise, people could say Spider-Man is more preferable personality wise, but as a more compelling series and media Spider-Man seems to always fall behind the dark knight as a popular hero that exposes the worlds and lore for both a long term fan and casuals. What will make Spidey become a hero thats number one in comparing the worlds most popular superheroes if he should need to prove his series above that of DC's Batman and Superman?

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Better written stories, better movies, games and shows.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jimishim12

@the_waffle said:

But why does Batman work/attract more than Spider-Man in a casual sense for people that get into superhero fiction. Spider-Man has twice the cooler powers, debatably cooler villains and a more dynamic cast(Even though most of them aren't action side characters like Bats are).

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_waffle said:

But why does Batman work/attract more than Spider-Man in a casual sense for people that get into superhero fiction. Spider-Man has twice the cooler powers, debatably cooler villains and a more dynamic cast(Even though most of them aren't action side characters like Bats are).

he just appeals more, more relatable maybe? idk. I reckon Bats has the better villains overall, much more complex and interesting. Spider-Man's are more 'cooler' and dangerous but that's about it. Batman just keeps getting home runs, the right people are handling him. Just look at the dark knight series, the arkham series and snyders run. They're juggernauts, critical acclaim everywhere. Spider-Man just keeps missing the mark.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12 said:
    @the_waffle said:

he just appeals more, more relatable maybe? idk. I reckon Bats has the better villains overall, much more complex and interesting. Spider-Man's are more 'cooler' and dangerous but that's about it. Batman just keeps getting home runs, the right people are handling him. Just look at the dark knight series, the arkham series and snyders run. They're juggernauts, critical acclaim everywhere. Spider-Man just keeps missing the mark.

^^^^^ ALL OF THE ABOVE ^^^^^

I definitely agree, Batman has better creative teams on board, especially with the two oldest titles "Detective Comics" & "Batman". DC know how to respect one of their flagship characters by not allowing (so called) writers to mess with the core elements of the character.

But yeah, I can't emphasize enough that Batman stories are better written, better structured, they are sophisticated and mature tales with better artwork all round.

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By BappyRonChantin

Batman usually has better written stories but he wasn't necessarily more popular than spidey before arkham games and dark knight trilogy came out.

wrucebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman seems to appeal to a larger demographic than Spider-Man and his logo is more iconic. Batman's also had more success in mainstream media.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you going to keep doing this on the Spider-Man forums? Why is *insert random character here* better/more popular than Spider-Man? Who's next? Superman? Wonder Woman?

First of all, you're both right and wrong. Yes, Batman does have better stories, better video games, debatably better movies etc. It's true that he's had the right people handling him, he's shown much more care and respect by DC than Spider-Man is by Marvel, most of the time they treat Peter like garbage.

But it's actually been shown that Spider-Man is the most recognizable superhero on the planet, his merchandise alone makes double that of Batman/Superman/Avengers merchandise altogether. Things are already turning around for Spidey on the movie and video game front, Marvel's handling it and actually pushing him once again. As long as Dan Slott's in charge of Spider-Man in the comics and Brian Michael Bendis continues to convince everyone to push Miles in favor of Peter, the comics side of things will continue to disappoint and sicken me.

But honestly, this question is subjective. Different people consider different superheroes as the most popular, the most common answer is either Batman, Superman or Spider-Man. And considering the fact that both Bats and Supes are twenty five years older than Spidey, it speaks volumes that he's held in the same regard as those two icons. Spider-Man is an icon, he's Marvel's most popular, beloved character and at the same time, their personal whipping boy.

I've stopped reading the comic books, I've had to look for decent Spider-Man storytelling elsewhere and so far, the MCU and Insomniac Games treatment of the character look to be far more promising than anything Marvel Comics has done in recent years.

Bottom line, getting a little tired of the troll 'why does Spider-Man suck?' posts.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jimishim12

@friv said:

Are you going to keep doing this on the Spider-Man forums? Why is *insert random character here* better/more popular than Spider-Man? Who's next? Superman? Wonder Woman?

First of all, you're both right and wrong. Yes, Batman does have better stories, better video games, debatably better movies etc. It's true that he's had the right people handling him, he's shown much more care and respect by DC than Spider-Man is by Marvel, most of the time they treat Peter like garbage.

But it's actually been shown that Spider-Man is the most recognizable superhero on the planet, his merchandise alone makes double that of Batman/Superman/Avengers merchandise altogether. Things are already turning around for Spidey on the movie and video game front, Marvel's handling it and actually pushing him once again. As long as Dan Slott's in charge of Spider-Man in the comics and Brian Michael Bendis continues to convince everyone to push Miles in favor of Peter, the comics side of things will continue to disappoint and sicken me.

But honestly, this question is subjective. Different people consider different superheroes as the most popular, the most common answer is either Batman, Superman or Spider-Man. And considering the fact that both Bats and Supes are twenty five years older than Spidey, it speaks volumes that he's held in the same regard as those two icons. Spider-Man is an icon, he's Marvel's most popular, beloved character and at the same time, their personal whipping boy.

I've stopped reading the comic books, I've had to look for decent Spider-Man storytelling elsewhere and so far, the MCU and Insomniac Games treatment of the character look to be far more promising than anything Marvel Comics has done in recent years.

Bottom line, getting a little tired of the troll 'why does Spider-Man suck?' posts.

No. Even I'm not that biased.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he's the Batman.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: I seriously doubt much has changed, keep grasping at straws though with your counter arguments.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what's up with these threads? are people just trolling? first it was why deadpool attracts more fans, and now it's batman. it's debatable if batman attracts more fans. I don't get the point of this.

Shintakie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friv: There's literally no way that Spiderman is more popular than Superman.

Superman is the most iconic superhero there is. His logo is the most recognizable superhero logo in the world. Put the two next to each other and I 100 percent guarantee that more people would recognize Superman's logo than Spidermans. Put the silhouettes together and more people around the world would recognize Superman over Spiderman.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shintakie: Evidence shows otherwise. You also have to factor in not just the West but the East as well, characters like Superman and Captain America have never managed to crack that market because they're viewed as 'too American'. Spider-Man does not apply to that and as such, he runs away with the reputation as Asia's most popular superhero. Asia is a big place, dude. American's aren't the only ones who read comic books.

I'm not disputing Superman's importance, I agree that he's iconic, he was the first ever superhero. In recent years, I feel like Superman's popularity has been failing and that's DC's fault for pushing Batman over him. You think I don't want a kick-ass Superman game? I'm sick to death of Batman video games, give me something in the same vein as Rocksteady's Arkham series for Superman. Give me a Superman movie where I actually feel inspired by him, by what he represents. I love Superman, love him. But DC's just obsessed with Batman right now, dampening Superman's popularity and as a result, Spider-Man's running away with it because he has no competition in Marvel.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jimishim12

@friv said:

@Shintakie: Evidence shows otherwise. You also have to factor in not just the West but the East as well, characters like Superman and Captain America have never managed to crack that market because they're viewed as 'too American'. Spider-Man does not apply to that and as such, he runs away with the reputation as Asia's most popular superhero. Asia is a big place, dude. American's aren't the only ones who read comic books.

I'm not disputing Superman's importance, I agree that he's iconic, he was the first ever superhero. In recent years, I feel like Superman's popularity has been failing and that's DC's fault for pushing Batman over him. You think I don't want a kick-ass Superman game? I'm sick to death of Batman video games, give me something in the same vein as Rocksteady's Arkham series for Superman. Give me a Superman movie where I actually feel inspired by him, by what he represents. I love Superman, love him. But DC's just obsessed with Batman right now, dampening Superman's popularity and as a result, Spider-Man's running away with it because he has no competition in Marvel.

No competition yeah as a mascot, but franchises like the avengers and ironman literally overlap Spidey's general image according to their movies which both have surpassed all of his own in total box office money, so currently Spidey is third against the casuals.

Superman will always be unequal in being a symbol of the modern day world, he is the icon for superhero genre. Everyone knows of him and uses his signature S too define a sense of power of being beyond mortal.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: Look, dude. I think you'd be more at home over at the Batman or Superman forums, at this point, you're just a troll.

morjumba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man is for kids batman is for adults. Batman is the vigilante doing what needs to be done for a city that probably doesn't deserve him, batman generally has darker plots than Spider-Man. The joker has turned into a cultural icon, representing the insanity of the common folk and is the ying to batmans yang. Just my 2 cents

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friv: I agree fully with ever word you posted, this @jimishim12 dude is a glorified troll.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: Its truly ADORABLE how you think we can see you as anything but a troll here.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jimishim12

@morjumba said:

Spider-Man is for kids batman is for adults. Batman is the vigilante doing what needs to be done for a city that probably doesn't deserve him, batman generally has darker plots than Spider-Man. The joker has turned into a cultural icon, representing the insanity of the common folk and is the ying to batmans yang. Just my 2 cents

Thank you for responding to be reasonably unlike others, and yes I agree nothing from Spider-Man comes close as the iconic status of Batmans villains like Joker and the Robins. All of Spidey's cast members/villain rouges are interchangeable varying from generation to generation, like Venom to Mary Jane, to Green Goblin to Doc Ock, to Gwen to Miles Morales.

morjumba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: Absolutely but I think the biggest factor in all of this is the fact that in the 80's up until now, there have always been successful batman movies bringing him to the front of the D.C universe. Not to mention extremely famous actors always take rolls in batman movies. George clooney, jack Nicholson, Christian bale, Heath ledger. Where as the first spider man movie that I can even think of didn't happen until the early 2000's. I think this is mostly because of cgi didn't really become realistic looking until then.

Dedonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedonus: Impossible, his appetite can never be satisfied.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedonus: Thanks for the meme. This thread is just pointless.

BatmanandRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BatmanandRobin

Superman is more popular than both now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2414030c5e3
    deactivated-5f2414030c5e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HE'S BATMAN !

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a franchise, people could say Spider-Man is more preferable personality wise, but as a more compelling series and media Spider-Man seems to always fall behind the dark knight as a popular hero that exposes the worlds and lore for both a long term fan and casuals. What will make Spidey become a hero thats number one in comparing the worlds most popular superheroes if he should need to prove his series above that of DC's Batman and Superman?

Well Batman allows more intense stories. And you got to admit, the original writters didn't give Spider-Man very notable vilains. Except maybe Venom.

Batman has an overall better constructed univers with a good "batfamilly", nice "superfriends" and greatly designed vilains.

MarvelMan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131 said:
    @jimishim12 said:

Well Batman allows more intense stories. And you got to admit, the original writters didn't give Spider-Man very notable vilains. Except maybe Venom.

Batman has an overall better constructed univers with a good "batfamilly", nice "superfriends" and greatly designed vilains.

Nah, Spidey Has Mysterio, Otto, Goblin, Hobgoblin, And Carnage. But, In All Honesty, They Should Do More With His Villains Like Electro, Sandman, Chameleon, Vulture, Hammerhead, White Rabbit, And The Likes Of Spot And Hydro Man. Hydro Man Should Be More Inspired By His TAS Counterpart. Spot Should Be More Like How Kyle Higgins Handled Him In Winter Soldier. Chameleon Should Have More Depth In His Story Like How Paul Jenkin's Handled Him. More Should Be Done With Sandman And Vulture With His Family. Scorpion Should Evolve More. Some Stories With Hammerhead Should Be Good. I Say During Nick Spencer's Run, There Should Be Another Series That Focuses On His Villains The Same Way DeMatteis And Paul Jenkin's Would.

BatmanandRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is cooler and more complex than Spidey. Hes a wish fufillment and the definition of a chad but hides a emotional state and eternal self pitying isolation that he carries as much as he engages in heroism. But hes more inspiring because he never quits or tries to accept failure, he always stays strong and steadfast. And imo a strong willed tragic hero who's human is better than a normal person trying to be strong but also whiny and hypocritical about everything going wrong.

BatmanandRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman will always be marvel's pussiest superhero in comparison to others. Hes virtually a young beta male fantasy that has incredible luck in doing what he does because hes not allowed to grow up or stand out as a figure of respect amongst heroes, anti heroes and villains of marvel. Hes the rookie while batman is the chad.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.