Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

What job do you think that adult Peter should have?

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By PCN24454

Poll What job do you think that adult Peter should have? (40 votes)

Forensic Scientist (from MC2) 13%
    Police officer/Detective (from Earth X) 8%
    Horizon Labs scientist (from ASM) 28%
    High School Teacher (from ASM) 45%
    Other (specify below) 8%

I always wondered what job suited him best. Now I want to know what you think.

• 
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

I always loved him as a teacher. I thought the whole classroom dynamic thing he had going was pretty awesome!

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By PunyParker

I loved him as a teacher in JMS's run,but Horizon is good for me!

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

An Olympic gold medalist in every sport.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Scientist. The stuff he made in horizon labs to battle alot of his rogue gallery have helped other people and that was by mistake so I would imagine if he really put in more time as a full time scientist he could so so much more.

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forensic scientist, since he'd still be fighting crime.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

It was always cool to see him as a teacher.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No standup comedian?

Kidding.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xblah_blahx

Lol, like Marvel will ever let Peter actually "grow up" and become an adult.

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An Olympic gold medalist in every sport.

Would he even still have a secret identity?

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either a teacher or a Horizon Labs scientist.

Baron_BJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's a tie between Forensic Scientist and Teacher.

Peter being a forensic scientist in Spider-Girl was great because he was no longer really able to be Spider-Man (at least anywhere near the capacity that he was previously capable of, what with his lost leg) and he wanted to be there for his family more, but he didn't want to just completely stop "fighting crime" and helping people, so he put his mind to good use as a forensic scientist. (I know Reed offered him a replacement leg and he even uses it a bit in the books, but that's not the point).

JMS's run made peter feel like he was in his early 30's (which I liked a lot and if you look at the chronology of Spider-Man the man is gonna be like 33 or 34 as of #700 of ASM, Marvel just saying "Peter is 25 because we say, because young people apparently can't handle people that aren't in their mid-twenties or younger" is just a crock of crap, and I say this as a 20 year old) and as Peter seemed to settle down more in that run whilst still being a hero it felt like he wanted to do more with his scientific know-how, give back to what he loved (since he loved going to Midtown High, even with the bullying) and get a more serious job (because he seemed to be maturing and settling down at the time).

Unfortunately neither of these work anymore, they were both very specific points for the characters and they both felt great for those points, but Marvel's decisions to regress the character to where he was back in the 80's and then veer him off in directions that he's not gone before (and although the character pre-#700 was changing and doing things I wouldn't say he felt like he was getting older and maturing like in JMS's run, so my favorite directions aren't really going to fit with him, they fit with my favorite interpretations of Spider-Man, which tended to be the "older" versions, which Marvel has decided they don't want), so it feels like it needs to go somewhere else.

All that said, although I've had fun with Slott's run, I disagree with a lot of what he has done, Horizon being one of those things, I've LOATHE the idea of Peter as some sort of mega-super-duper scientist, it utterly guts him of his relatability, which is a problem because one of the reasons Spider-Man is so big is because he was far more grounded than most other super hero comics, he had almost universally been shown as a brilliant and bright person who hadn't really lived up to his true potential sometimes, I'd put his IQ at 150, so in the real world he would legitimately be a great mind, but nope, he's apparently some sort IQ 250 (this is literally off the IQ scales, beyond 200 scores are considered highly dubious and the % of people who would recieve a reliable score of 250 would quite literally be in the 0.0000000001% range or somewhere close, no hyperbole, I am not exaggerating, and even with such an IQ no one is going to be churning out crap like what's seen happening at Horizon) mega-scientist who can say "there's a problem? let's fix this s**t with some SCIENCE!" and then 20 minutes later have some completely perfect and fully-functional device that can do whatever the plot demands. Unfortunately this isn't something that can really be removed from the character, not really, Peter in the past would get fired and re-hired by the Bugle (despite being freelance, but I digress) but it wouldn't matter because Jonah would do anything for those sorts of pictures, that's the kinda guy he was, the leaving and coming back wasn't an issue, but at Horizon Peter has created insane breakthroughs that are used by everyone, like the new organ moving device the ambulance workers were using in an issue that were credited to Peter, he's famous for being a mega-genius now. Slott's taken that facet of his character away in a way that is irreparable.

I think my semi-rant is over now.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I chose Detective cause he'll be late for everything else....though forensic scientist would be good too.

Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
    spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By spidermonkey2099

I always liked him as a high school teacher. I thought that fit his character perfectly. His job at Horizon Labs is really cool too though in that it gives him an excuse to make more Spidey suits.

wolverine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see him with his own lab after Otto gets him a ph.d. get him started as a younger reed richards or tony stark

DH1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly, Peter Parker isn't allowed to grow up. He's always got to struggle with the bills, and bum money of Harry (pending he's alive) that's how Marvel wants him. We occasionally see moments where he's a scientific genius (web shooters, spider tracers) but it seems writers forget that side a lot. I'd like to think one day he says enough of this crap! Invents something Tony Stark worthy and becomes a multi millionaire living in Trump Tower or something.

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dh1986 said:

Sadly, Peter Parker isn't allowed to grow up. He's always got to struggle with the bills, and bum money of Harry (pending he's alive) that's how Marvel wants him. We occasionally see moments where he's a scientific genius (web shooters, spider tracers) but it seems writers forget that side a lot. I'd like to think one day he says enough of this crap! Invents something Tony Stark worthy and becomes a multi millionaire living in Trump Tower or something.

you've summed up the problem with Marvel and how they treat Spider-Man.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dh1986 said:

you've summed up the problem with Marvel and how they treat Spider-Man.

he was doing fine until the whole ock thing...*sigh* Parker luck

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By warlock360

Paper boy

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PCN24454

@warlock360 said:

Paper boy

He really is a loser right now, isn't he?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Teacher

Avatar image for mynamewasdeleted
    MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

male model- oh dem abbs

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.