Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

What if Uncle Ben had never died?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Gambit1024

We all know the story of Peter Parker. We also know that if Ben hadn't been killed, Peter would've never felt that guilt over the loss of his uncle. The guilt also shaped him into the hero he is today, and it's arguably the sole purpose of why he does what he does.

But what happens if Ben never died? May and Ben are alive and well, and Peter still has his superpowers. Do you think he'd be any different than how he is today?

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By _Zombie_

There was a What If? story on that, I believe:

Aunt May died instead of Ben. I think Peter killed her murderer, and Ben took the fall for it and went to prison. Peter went into the system as a ward of the state, and eventually escaped and lived life as a bit of a wanderer. He becomes Spider-Man regardless, but I don't remember how the story ended exactly. Something about Peter breaking Ben out of jail, I think.
    The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#3  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Interesting question...

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gambit1024

@ZombieBigfoot said:

Aunt May died instead of Ben. I think Peter killed her murderer, and Ben took the fall for it and went to prison. Peter went into the system as a ward of the state, and eventually escaped and lived life as a bit of a wanderer. He becomes Spider-Man regardless, but I don't remember how the story ended exactly. Something about Peter breaking Ben out of jail, I think.

Yeah, I read that, but this scenario is a little different. Nobody's dead. There's no guilt about anything. Would Peter still be the same kind of hero he is now? Would he even go the hero route?

My best guess is that the fame gets the better of him (note he made money by showboating before he fought crime). He would've had the attitude of Johnny Storm with the brains of Tony Stark. He does what he can for the people, but if he fails, no biggie, the public likes him all the same. After trying to hide his identity from the public for several years, he unmasks because he's so well known and adored by the people because of his outstanding charisma. With all the money he got from the fame, Ben and May are pretty set with a good place to live with high-security tech that Peter could have invented. He probably never would have gotten with Gwen Stacy, but I could imagine him meeting MJ through her modelling and acting gigs. I do believe that Norman Osborn would have ended up killing either MJ, Ben or May though via bridge toss.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By _Zombie_

@Gambit1024 said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

Yeah, I read that, but this scenario is a little different. Nobody's dead. There's no guilt about anything. Would Peter still be the same kind of hero he is now? Would he even go the hero route?

My best guess is that the fame gets the better of him (note he made money by showboating before he fought crime). He would've had the attitude of Johnny Storm with the brains of Tony Stark. He does what he can for the people, but if he fails, no biggie, the public likes him all the same. After trying to hide his identity from the public for several years, he unmasks because he's so well known and adored by the people because of his outstanding charisma. With all the money he got from the fame, Ben and May are pretty set with a good place to live with high-security tech that Peter could have invented. He probably never would have gotten with Gwen Stacy, but I could imagine him meeting MJ through her modelling and acting gigs. I do believe that Norman Osborn would have ended up killing either MJ, Ben or May though via bridge toss.

Ah, misread it then, my bad. And that scenario you layed out sounds pretty spot on. The only reason he decided to be the hero he was today is because of Uncle Ben.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gambit1024

@ZombieBigfoot: No worries, sir. That's what I'm talking about. I think that if it weren't for Ben's death, Spider-Man would be radically different than who he is today.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    It's been a while, but weren't both alive and well in HoM?
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

@Morpheus_: Yeah. And he was married to Gwen. And was famous. And bald.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @Gambit1024 said:

@Morpheus_: Yeah. And he was married to Gwen. And was famous. And bald.

LOL. It was an interesting story, but I don't remember many details anymore. Just the whole Green Goblin/Spidey being revealed to be a human plot.
    Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#10  Edited By The Impersonator

If Uncle Ben had never died, Spiderman wouldn't understand the true meaning of a superhero.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

@Morpheus_: Human plot?

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Yumulu

@Gambit1024 said:

In HoM humans where the baddies (kind of )

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Phaedrusgr

Remember the old 90s series of Spiderman? Another version of Peter Parker had Uncle Ben, Aunt May, Gwen, fame and fortune and a stark-type industry. Everybody knew he was Spiderman, Jameson loved him (LOL). Oh, he had an iron-suit. Peter was Peter, just a little bit starkish. That's what I think it would have happened.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @Gambit1024 said:

The revelation that Pete was not a mutant.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gambit1024

@Yumulu: @Morpheus_: Oh that's right. Forgot about that.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By SpidermanWins

Interestingly, we would not have Peter Parker as the responsible, noble, heroic person that he is as Spider-Man

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By MetropolisKid41

I agree that Ben's death is what really gave him his final push to becoming the friendly neighborhood SPider-Man we all know and love. However I still think that he would have eventually moved to the same path he is on now eventually. While its true that Ben's death definitely gave him the final push to the "with great power comes great responsibility" side, but its not like he was a total reckless punk youth before that. He had been raised by Ben & May his whole life and grew up right, while Ben's death did help him realize he needed to grow up, those lessons were always there, I think as a 16 year old kid we all would have show boated and taken the fame, but I think once he walked that road for a bit and matured that he would have eventually joined the same path he took after Ben's death, but just a few more years down the road. I really see Pete telling his Uncle Ben that he was Spider-Man since they were so close, I know I would tell my dad if I had those amazing powers, but would probably hold out on my mom. I think Ben while being alive would have definitely pushed Spider-Man to take the moral responsibility high road. The situation kind of reminds me of the Elseworlds tale Superman Speeding Bullets, where Superman is found by the Waynes as a baby, and he relives the same horrific horror of his parents in the street, so grows up to become a super-powered Batman, yet eventually becomes the more optimistic Superman we know and love. I think in both cases the characters would eventually reach their "destiny" as the characters that we know and love them as, but they would just take a little different road to get there.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Problem with What If stories is that they always go to extremes (obviously to be entertaining, but they lose their "realism"). If Uncle Ben didn't die, and both he and Aunt May lived, odds are Pete would have simply gone on to become a Scientist. He would sell his Webbing adhesive and make a very respectable living for himself. He would have married Gwen and lived a very happy life.  

Until Manhattan was destroyed. Or he was killed by a supervillain's rampage.  

There is little doubt in my mind that Pete's life would have been better had he not become Spider-Man, but the world would be so much worse off. That's what makes Spidey so great. His heroism is truly selfless. Arguably more so than any other supehero/ine. 

Mizz_Coconut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mizz_Coconut

This is interesting and if i may i would like to bring in the spiderman movies.

In Sam Raimis trilogy, Peter ultimately is pushed to becomes spiderman because Uncle Ben died and needed a sense of justice that his father figure died. If uncle ben didnt die he doesnt have this sense of justice, he has the craving for mary jane, yes, but if was bitten by the spider but uncle ben didnt die, would we have a selfish hero? using his ablities to jsut fly through the city and get girls, who are we to say that the sense of justice that comes with superheros would apply peter if he didnt have that tradegy which seems to apply to all heros

However in the new spiderman movie by Marc Webb, peters parents are a prominent part and in the trailer we see the constant lonliness of peter because he has lost his parents and uncle ben and aunt may dont seem to be able to take that place. I think if you factor in the fact that peter was techincally orphaned, his want to find out what happened to his parents and why they disappeared would of given him his justice and doesnt matter if uncle ben dies.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By InnerVenom123

Pete would still be a selfish dick.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gambit1024

@MetropolisKid41: What was the name of that Superman story? That sounds like something I'd be into.

@InnerVenom123: Really? No hope for him whatsoever? lol

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Gambit1024: IIRC, Ben's death is what made him stop being a dick. So, if only Ben lives, and nothing else changes; then yeah. LOL.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gambit1024

Fair enough, lol

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Hazlenaut

there was one version of him like that in the 90s Spiderman cartoon. He had ego and does not think things though. Maddem Web hated that one but you know that one may have a perk that she does not notice. He has good allies that help him and a robot spider. I am guessing the robot spider is good buddy to him.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#25  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Spiderman probably wouldn't understand the importance of being a true hero since Uncle Ben taught him that being a hero has big responsibilities and due to Uncle Ben's death, Spiderman learned that he must be a responsible hero to protect the ones he loves. Also, Spiderman might have become very egotistical since he wouldn't take his superhero job seriously.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CATPANEXE

@Morpheus_ said:

It's been a while, but weren't both alive and well in HoM?

What If? Spider-man: House Of M as well, two stories as well as a few other What if's and likewise.

I can only point my given answer to see the plot of any of those. What if? questions, and proposals

for potential What If? comics always throw me off here as they almost always (well over 200 issues?)

already have been made and the details covered. Then again I read every volume so that may be what

founds my stance.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By RainEffect
    @InnerVenom123 said:

Pete would still be a selfish dick.

LOL. Best.
    batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By batkevin74

@Gambit1024: That'd be a great story Green Goblin throwing Uncle Ben off the bridge!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By batkevin74

@FadeToBlackBolt: That's a very plausible scenario

Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
    saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By saiyan_earthling

Peter would never become the hero he is now, if Uncle Ben didn't die.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MetropolisKid41

@Gambit1024: The story is called Superman Speeding Bullets, its a prestige format one shot, I think it came out in 1993.

SUPERD96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SUPERD96

Uncle Ben: (dying) Peter, Peter come here. Peter: Yes Uncle ben (crying) Ben: Tell may to take her pie out the oven (dies) Peter: NO!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn you Betty Crocker He will live on the be Spiderman the hunter of bakers.

HoneyKr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HoneyKr

He would have gotten the power but would not have been spiderman

desmond3602

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is very interesting since i wondered it myself after i played marvel future fight. In chapter 3-6 when you play against spider-man (he is from a another dimension) captain america says to spider-man ''deep down you know this is not right'' I can't remember how spider-man replied but it goes along like this, when spider-man replies and says ''back off old man, looting and steal is way more fun than saving people, look at what saving people got me, if uncle ben hadn't smacked me around because of me not living up to his potential of great power and responsibility this probably wouldn't happen.'' That implies IF ben had survived his attack on the robber, then ben himself would be the reason for spider-man to go darkside. really interesting stuff.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Then he wouldn't cry as much lel.

ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Uncle Ben had never died, then will aunt May die !!!

Avatar image for batmanwinsbecausewhynot
    BatmanWinsBecauseWhyNot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He goes into show biz

Avatar image for batmanwinsbecausewhynot
    BatmanWinsBecauseWhyNot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Show biz spidey

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all know the story of Peter Parker. We also know that if Ben hadn't been killed, Peter would've never felt that guilt over the loss of his uncle. The guilt also shaped him into the hero he is today, and it's arguably the sole purpose of why he does what he does.

But what happens if Ben never died? May and Ben are alive and well, and Peter still has his superpowers. Do you think he'd be any different than how he is today?

He would become a wealthy tech business owner and drive around in a fancy car and fight crime globaly...oh wait..

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he might have been a better hero. a lot of his struggles came with wanting to protect his aunt may. if he didn't have to worry about that, he could have live up to his potential. he probably would have been more like stark.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter probably would have stayed in show business. And lives would have been lost because he would not be a superhero

Avatar image for immortal_turtle
    Immortal_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambit1024: being bald is the worse part. W8 I'm bald...

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-man: House of M is another one of those stories where Uncle Ben didn't die. Don't remember which of the thousands of Marvel Universes that one is.

Avatar image for kamrincdisandro
    KamrinCDiSandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it depends lets say both Aunt May and Uncle Ben surivied. Lets say Peter decided to catch the criminal that took him. Peter would feel he did something good ans at some point he decides to tell someone. Peter tells ben what happen and he said he knows ans would tell peter he apretiate what he tried to do, but would tell him you can do more then that.

So i would say ben would be someone peter would go threw cause unlike Aunt May he would understand.

Spider-Man would still catch the same villains.

I think Spider-Man would sill be a hero, but not be guilted to keep doing it but Ben would be their to support him.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that Ben's death is what really gave him his final push to becoming the friendly neighborhood SPider-Man we all know and love. However I still think that he would have eventually moved to the same path he is on now eventually. While its true that Ben's death definitely gave him the final push to the "with great power comes great responsibility" side, but its not like he was a total reckless punk youth before that. He had been raised by Ben & May his whole life and grew up right, while Ben's death did help him realize he needed to grow up, those lessons were always there, I think as a 16 year old kid we all would have show boated and taken the fame, but I think once he walked that road for a bit and matured that he would have eventually joined the same path he took after Ben's death, but just a few more years down the road. I really see Pete telling his Uncle Ben that he was Spider-Man since they were so close, I know I would tell my dad if I had those amazing powers, but would probably hold out on my mom. I think Ben while being alive would have definitely pushed Spider-Man to take the moral responsibility high road. The situation kind of reminds me of the Elseworlds tale Superman Speeding Bullets, where Superman is found by the Waynes as a baby, and he relives the same horrific horror of his parents in the street, so grows up to become a super-powered Batman, yet eventually becomes the more optimistic Superman we know and love. I think in both cases the characters would eventually reach their "destiny" as the characters that we know and love them as, but they would just take a little different road to get there.

This 100%.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.