Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

The Amazing Movie a tad... overrated.

AllNewOverseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AllNewOverseer

(Please note I'm writing this because I'm having problems with the review writer for the movie)

I know a lot of people really love the new Amazing Spider-Man movie, but for me it was a tad, overrated. I liked it don't get me wrong, Three and 1/2 Stars. Andrew Garfield was awesome, as was the rest of the cast, but I have a few problems with it.

I liked the romance between Peter and Gwen... until they got together, where it felt like the romance became the unnessicary heart of the movie. I really found it annoying that after Peter first fought the Lizard, he seemed more focased on kissing Gwen than on Dr. Conners having become a giant Lizard or that you know, he had giant claw marks in his chest that were exposed to sewer water. The chemistry was good but the movie focased on Pete and Gwen when the focas should have been on Peter and Connors.

Speaking of Lizard I felt that once Connors became the Lizard, the movie seemed to forget at points that it has a bad guy running around. I liked the build up to Lizard but after he became Lizard, he seemed thrown in at times and all we got from him as the now villain of the film is a schizophrenic rant between himself and the Lizard (I think) that comes off as more silly than threatening.

I also felt a real lack of closure from this movie. I know that a sequal is intended, the lack of closure seems to be a theme of the moive and I think they want a trilogy out of this moive but, the lack of closure just felt like the moive was leaving plots dangling just to be solved IN sequels, which leaves the movie feeling without a proper ending. Why is Norman Osborn sick and dying, what happened to that indian guy, what the hell did Connors do that gave indian guy leverage over him, why was Alchemex I mean Oscorp after Richard Parker's cross-species work, and my biggest feeling of non-closure PETER NEVER CAUGHT UNCLE BEN'S MURDERER!!!!

And my biggest problem with the movie is that the very premise of Spider-Man that "With Great Power Makes Great Responsibility" feels completely glossed over. I know that Uncle Ben never said the original quote in the comics but the quote is never even given a subtle nod in the movie. Heck, to me it feels like Peter starts to really fight crime as a way to spite George Stacy rather than how he feels his inability to act when he could and lost his uncle for it. There were several parts that could have easilly used the quote but it left it untouched.

Again I did like the movie. Three 1/2 stars. But I feel its a tad overrated. I don't know maybe I'm just in mad that this isn't Rami's Spider-Man 1, or that it lacks organic web-shooters, Mary Jane or Harry Osborn, but this is just me. Am I alone and deserving of stoning because I felt the moive is only "Average" and rather lack luster for a Spider-Man moive or is there someone who agrees that while it is a good movie, there were two MUCH better superhero moives this year?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#2  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

I'd disagree about certain parts like the whole "responsibility being glossed over " part. You must have missed the part where Ben tells Peter about his philosophy on responsibility.Everyone knows that Avengers and TDKR were better.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By acer51

I thought the way Ben died was really cheap.

Felt as if they were just trying to get the part with Uncle ben out of the way.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jotham

I thought it was great, although I was a little unsettled by the ending. Personally, I liked that he never caught the murderer.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By PowerHerc

Okay.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#6  Edited By Joygirl

So's your face a tad over-rated. :D

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Superguy0009e

I think the ending really killed it for me.

Peter Parker ignores the wishes of a dead man so he can hook up with his depressed daughter.

I know I am making it sound a bit worse, but still, not very Peter Parkerish

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#8  Edited By BatWatch

(Please note I'm writing this because I'm having problems with the review writer for the movie)

I know a lot of people really love the new Amazing Spider-Man movie, but for me it was a tad, overrated. I liked it don't get me wrong, Three and 1/2 Stars. Andrew Garfield was awesome, as was the rest of the cast, but I have a few problems with it.

First, kudos for writing a nice, classy review. It was well thought out and well written.

I just watched the film about two hours ago, so it is fresh in my mind. If I get some extra time, I’ll probably write a review myself. I agree that it was well acted, but I liked it a little more than you. I’d probably give it four stars out of five.

I liked the romance between Peter and Gwen... until they got together, where it felt like the romance became the unnessicary heart of the movie. I really found it annoying that after Peter first fought the Lizard, he seemed more focased on kissing Gwen than on Dr. Conners having become a giant Lizard or that you know, he had giant claw marks in his chest that were exposed to sewer water. The chemistry was good but the movie focased on Pete and Gwen when the focas should have been on Peter and Connors.

Very good points all around. I hadn’t consciously realized that, but you are right. The first half of the movie made Peter and Connors the focus point. The last half switched to Peter and Gwen. I don’t think it was necessarily wrong for Peter to me more immediately concerned with Gwen than Connors. After all, this was the girl of his dreams, he had grown at least somewhat used to the fantastic, and he’s a young hormonal teenager. Furthermore, Peter is an extraverted fellow who often seeks out people to talk to when he’s is feeling upset. I did, however, question the writers choice to ignore his bath in the sewer. Let’s hope spider healing can fend off diseases, and it also seems surprising that Gwen was so eager to suck face with the newly poo-dipped Peter Parked. Ah well, forgivable flaws.

Speaking of Lizard I felt that once Connors became the Lizard, the movie seemed to forget at points that it has a bad guy running around. I liked the build up to Lizard but after he became Lizard, he seemed thrown in at times and all we got from him as the now villain of the film is a schizophrenic rant between himself and the Lizard (I think) that comes off as more silly than threatening.

I didn’t think they handled Connors poorly, but as we’ve both agreed, he should have been a larger focus of the second half.

I also felt a real lack of closure from this movie. I know that a sequal is intended, the lack of closure seems to be a theme of the moive and I think they want a trilogy out of this moive but, the lack of closure just felt like the moive was leaving plots dangling just to be solved IN sequels, which leaves the movie feeling without a proper ending. Why is Norman Osborn sick and dying, what happened to that indian guy, what the hell did Connors do that gave indian guy leverage over him, why was Alchemex I mean Oscorp after Richard Parker's cross-species work, and my biggest feeling of non-closure PETER NEVER CAUGHT UNCLE BEN'S MURDERER!!!!

I like it when a movie keeps us guessing a little in the end…like Inception or Daredevil. In regards to Osborn, they could have made a quick explanation to the nature of his illness, but if they had spent much more time than that on him, it would have drawn away from the main plot. I am certainly glad they did not show him for that would have split the film between two villains. No thanks. Besides, as I said, I like to have room to speculate. I feel similarly about the lack of catching Uncle Ben’s murderer and the ambiguity around Oscorp’s hand in the Parkers’ deaths. Uncle Ben’s killer remaining free demonstrates, in my mind, that Peter’s quest is not about vengeance anymore, but about using his abilities to help others. On the other hand, Peter’s parents deaths is obviously going to be continued in the next film, and we all knew, unless it was an unholy mess, there would be a next film.

The lack of resolution with the Indian guy, on the other hand, was a problem. You shouldn’t just leave characters hanging like that. Just a simple scene showing him having survived and perhaps talking to Oscorp would have been sufficient. Sloppy writing to introduce a character that important and forget about him for the last forty-five minutes of the movie.

And my biggest problem with the movie is that the very premise of Spider-Man that "With Great Power Makes Great Responsibility" feels completely glossed over. I know that Uncle Ben never said the original quote in the comics but the quote is never even given a subtle nod in the movie. Heck, to me it feels like Peter starts to really fight crime as a way to spite George Stacy rather than how he feels his inability to act when he could and lost his uncle for it. There were several parts that could have easilly used the quote but it left it untouched.

I disagree completely on this point. Uncle Ben said that Peter’s dad’s philosophy was that those that had power had the responsibility to use it for good. That is the same sentiment phrased differently.

In regards to Peter acting out of spite against Stacey, I don’t think that is an accurate criticism. Peter certainly had selfish motives for his original search for criminals, but he still left those criminals tied up for the police. He could have easily freed them, but instead, he delivered them to the police. This was before Peter had any interaction with Captain Stacey. After he met Captain Stacey, I think Peter took some of his words to heart despite the fact that he argued so passionately against him for after their argument, Peter went out of his way to save lives instead of pursue his friend, Kurt Connors. To me, that moment when he hesitated on what to do demonstrates his choice to make this about others and not just himself.

Again I did like the movie. Three 1/2 stars. But I feel its a tad overrated. I don't know maybe I'm just in mad that this isn't Rami's Spider-Man 1, or that it lacks organic web-shooters, Mary Jane or Harry Osborn, but this is just me. Am I alone and deserving of stoning because I felt the moive is only "Average" and rather lack luster for a Spider-Man moive or is there someone who agrees that while it is a good movie, there were two MUCH better superhero moives this year?

I actually much prefer Amazing Spiderman to The Dark Knight Rises. (My Review of The Dark Knight Rises) IMDB has Amazing Spiderman rated with 7.6 which is a solid score but nothing to brag about. In my book, that makes it just good enough to pay money to watch it in theatres.

Regarding Harry Osborn, I would not have minded Harry being present, but I don’t feel like his exclusion is a significant problem. Also, I presume you know that in the comics, Peter did design his own webshooters. They were not organic (though they were for several years after the Rami movies came out. They changed it temporarily. Evolution or some such). Also, Gwen was Peter’s original girlfriend. If it is any consolation to you, Gwen will probably die next movie. Personally, I don’t much like Mary Jane anyway. Too…manipulative and immature. Gwen is much nicer in personality.

@Superguy0009e:

I hear you on it not being very Peter Parkerish, but the Peter Parker way of doing things would be to mope around her trying to be friends...because he wouldn't be able to avoid it, and then beating himself up about how awful he was for violating his promise to Captain Stacey. He would continue to go through this cycle until Gwen finally said, "It's my life, and I want to spend it with you!" at which point they would kiss and reconcile, but Peter would constantly wonder if he was doing the wrong thing and probably try to break it off every other time his life was in danger. All of that to say that for the sake of the movie, I'm glad they did it they way they did it. Captain Stacey's request was unreasonable and selfish, and he used the guilt Peter was feeling to make him promise something he did not want to promise.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CrimsonCake

Hopefully the sequel will be better.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@Joygirl said:

So's your face a tad over-rated. :D

hahahaha

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers was overrated, but this one was actually underrated by most of people, to be honest i think is the best Marvel movie in a long time, the main problem is that isnt an Avengers style movie and people decide to hate it because it was something new, so lets hate it for nostalgia crap.

Batman Begins and all the Nolan movies are hated by many people, just for the fact his name isnt Tim Burton.

I mean, the movie dont even get a freacking 8 in IMDB, how in living hell is that overrated?

It had solid character developtment, Avengers dont.

Cool action scenes with some thing i didnt saw in other superhero movies, Avengers dont.

It had a villain with a reason to be the bad guy, Avengers dont, i mean Loki had such a villain decay isnt even funny.

Spiderman had problems. Avengers dont.

Spiderman was at risk, Avengers dont.

I mean the freacking Avengers made Silver Age Superman look freacking human.

Yes it wasnt the best superhero movie of all times, but neither are the Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises.

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

It didn't nail Parker. The Parker in the comics was a keen learner and a nerd. The ASM version is more realistic but the skateboard and emo doesn't work.

AllNewOverseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AllNewOverseer

@PsychoKnights: Thank you for the reply. Though I myself am hesitant to call it well written. Thank you also for the opposing though friendly point of view.

@DeathpooltheT1000: Well, that's your opinion. In reguards to some of your points I'd like to say;

I've never seen the Tim Burton Bat-Moives so, I have no idea if they are better than the Nolan moives so I don't feel I have a right to make any argument here.

I do not care for IMDB, Rotten Tomatos or most other review sites so again I don't feel I have a right to argue.

I always thought Avengers, especially (sp?) in the early days, was more about character interaction than development. Watching characters from what might as well be diffrent worlds talk and interact.

I never really said I had a problem with Amazing's action, but I liked Avengers action better.

I would like to paraphrase Linkara when I say "Sometimes you don't need a complex bad guy, just a big enough threat that you can't tear your eyes away." I also feel most of Loki's issues from Thor were carried over from Thor but now he's forced to play lacky to a galactic conqueror in order to regain control of Asgard.

A soldier from the 1940's, a millionaire playboy genius with an ego problem, an ex-soviet spy with an admitted shady past, a scientist with emotional problems who upon lossing his temper becomes this universe's closest thing to Godzilla, a thunder god who's really only just learned about humility and an archer with an ego equal to the playboy walk into a bar... and destroy it completely. These guys have personal problems that are the center of thier worlds being brought to a larger universe.

One of the reasons I liked the Avengers is that during the big fight scene at the end, it becomes evident that even though the Avengers are the "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" in the end they would be overwhelmed by the sheer numbers. If they hadn't have stopped the invasion force from coming through the portal, the Avengers, powerful as they are, would have been beaten. Not to mention how easilly Loki seemed to be manipulating the Avengers (though admittedly through VERY ambiguous means) made it seem like the Avengers might lose.

I've never read the Silver Age Superman so again, I don't have any right to make an argument.

I never said Avengers or Dark Knight Rises were the best superhero movies of all time. Granted my phrasing could have been better, but I mean that I liked Avengers and Dark Knight much better. I have no real right to make boasts like that. If you liked Amazing better, I can't change your mind. I just give my thoughts.

@Joygirl: Yeah, well... your a big meany head. :'(

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#14  Edited By BatWatch

@comicdude23: I liked the movie, but I'm with you on Parker, and I'm especially with you on the skateboard.

@Overseer: No problem. Compared to the way many people write reviews on comicvine, yours was extremely well written.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Overseer: Avengers killed one red shirt character, this means there is no real danger of they losing, there was going to be sequels, no danger to lose, they never got hurt in the movie, the aliens had guns, but lets face it, those gun arent that much of a danger, i mean Hulk was more in danger having to face Abomination.

Also the action in Avengers isnt even as good as the action in Transformers 1, that was the only good thing about Transformers 1.

Avengers was ok, but they never act as a team like in First Class, they never get any character development like in First Class and if you didnt saw Avengers, you could still watch the rest of Marvel movies because nothing happened in Avengers.

Beside it was a ripp off of Seven Samurai, without all the thing tht made Seven Samurai a master piece and all time classic.

I dont liked Amazing Spiderman more that TDK,X Men 2, X Men First Class, Ironman and The Incredible Hulk.

But it was better that the past Spiderman movies in many ways.

Better acting

Better Character development

Better use of characters

Better casting choices

Better Spiderman/Peter Parker

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By renamed040924

@comicdude23 said:

It didn't nail Parker. The Parker in the comics was a keen learner and a nerd. The ASM version is more realistic but the skateboard and emo doesn't work.

They made it a point in the movie that Pete was smart... and I have no idea how you figured he was emo.

AllNewOverseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AllNewOverseer

@comicdude23: I didn't get the emo thing but yeah, the skateboard was stupid.

@PsychoKnights: Ok, this is probably not the place to talk about this but this has been bugging me since I read it and now I'm having problems with the PM so, you said MJ was manipulative, could you please explain that. (In the films I could understand because looking back Film!MJ was an almost raping of the MJ character but in the comics? I don't see it.) Just to see your POV.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18  Edited By x_29

Overrated? The Amazing Spider-Man was the most polarizing movie of the summer in terms of reactions. I really dug it, but there is a whole lot of mixed feelings; some love it, some like it, some hate it.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Strider1992

No I do not believe it was overrated. In fact I think it got slightly overlooked due to The Avengers and TDKR coming out within a few months of it.

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Madame_Mist

I sort of have to agree. One of the things that bothered me was how Uncle Ben's death is such a defining moment for Peter and changes him, but he is exactly the same throughout the movie.

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Batnandez

I agree.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FatihBATMAN

Bad movie... Preeeettty overrated

Avatar image for samuel_larson_10
    samuel_larson_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By samuel_larson_10

yes, I'm sick of people comparing it to the first one, both are good in their own way now stop trolling

SpideyFan113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SpideyFan113

This was what it was, a realistic Spider-man movie. Yes, some of you have a problem with how Peter acted throughout the movie, but that's pretty much how any teenager would act in that situation. He's not gonna be all like "I'm gonna avenge Uncle Ben by fighting crime." He's gonna pissed at himself and pissed at the guy who killed him. Which is exactly what he did, it then evolved into him realizing what he has to do when he saved that boy. I admit though, I think he should been there for Aunt May a bit more. Ignoring her is the very reason Uncle Ben is dead, he should at least hug her or something, she's all he's got and the same the other way around. But as a major Spidey fan, I had a lot of emotional parts in this movie, especially Uncle Ben's death and the "I'm Spider-man" scene. This was my dream Spidey movie, I just wish it'd been more of a comic movie than a realistic movie, but if it had everyone would've bitched that it was copying Raimi's version. The only scene that pissed me off was the Crane scene, from when Spidey gets shot to the end of the crane swinging. Why?

1) Spider-man gets hit with a bullet. WTF. He dodges fucking pistols in his face and several cop snipers shooting at him at once (just like the real Spider-man), but the thing that gets him is a point-blank shot. Ugh.

2) If webbing the wound fixes everything, why didn't he do it earlier. He would've gotten there much faster had he just *THWIP* and done. (It wouldn't bother me that much, but after he webs the wound, he swings like nothing happened.)

3) Throughout the whole movie he swings between buildings no prob, then all of a sudden an entire passage of buildings is "impossible". Swinging and dodging is what Spidey does best! That's what he's good at! That's like if Batman couldn't sneak up on a deaf person or if Flash couldn't catch a bus (Flash would never use a bus but its just an example :P).

4) It doesn't make sense that a city-wide evacuation is happening and the guy who's son was saved by Spidey manages to convince all these crane workers to help Spidey. Don't get me wrong, I love it when Spidey has his hard work payed off by the citizens of NYC. But Spidey was too new, those guys probably had families to get back to and their just like "Oh fuck them, we gotta help this Spidey guy cuz one guy says so."

5) There's a damn helicopter that lights Spidey's way and follows him....WHAT?!?! Why doesn't he just tell the helicoptor pilot to fly over Oscorp and Spidey gets a faster, easier ride.

In my opinion, the movie would've been perfect in my eyes had it not been for this scene. But besides that, I thought it was completely what I've been waiting for. Only other thing I would change is that Lizard needed more character development, the final battle was too climactic, and Spidey should keep his damn mask on!!! Seriously, the only guy I can think of in Marvel movies that doesn't have his mask taken off is Hulk, AND HE HAS NO MASK!!! But trust me, if they could put the actors face on Hulk for more face time without pissing off people, THEY SO WOULD!!!

Avatar image for jigglyjiggletowns
    JigglyJiggletowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For movies, 3 and half stars is amazing... considering it's out of 4.

AllNewOverseer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AllNewOverseer

@JigglyJiggletowns: I'm using 3.5 out of 5.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.