Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Superior Spider-Man Candidates

Eroc23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eroc23

The candidates for the Superior Spider-Man are:

1- Kaine

2- Ben Reilly

Following are the reasons that they are going to become the Superior Spider-Man:

1- Tony Guerrero, talked about it on a podcast: why not a clone?

2- Ben Reilly or Kaine were originally meant to be a replacement for Peter Parker, but unfortunately the storyline of his succession was clouded with confounding retcons and nonsensical twists (Ben Reilly being the original while Peter Parker's twenty years of continuity as a clone being prime among them), the actual intent was quite noble: Peter Parker would remain married to Mary-Jane Watson and would be a mentor to this new Spider-Man, who was his clone...alright, it's not perfect, but these days it's feeling quite possible.

3- Think about it: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN writer Dan Slott has claimed that he'll have to go into hiding and give no interviews after ASM #700 is released, so unless he's very intentionally misleading readers, it will have to be something big. What could trigger such a response in fans?

4- Ryan Stegman (SCARLET SPIDER cover artist) teams up with ASM writer Dan Slott for this new, darker look at Spider-Man. This book will have rotating artists as well. Fans will see the return of Humberto Ramos and Giuseppe Camuncoli to work on this new Spidey-book.

5- There hasn't been any indication to harbor their return, BUT Marvel has been putting out the Complete Ben Reilly Epic volumes (a practice they honed while putting out Venom's '90s books before unveiling Flash Thompson as the new symbiote's host), as well as Scarlet Spider figures and even placing the character in their multimedia empire (the costume is an unlockable in the underrated Shattered Dimensions game) even though that specific costume is widely hated by all but a select (wise) group of editors/users/freelancers on an ESPECIALLY glorious comic book website.

6- And lest you think we're reading too much into it: remember that Marvel has already begun promoting the Guardians of the Galaxy in their comics and games in preparation for a movie two years away (at minimum) and even created a book series (AVENGERS ASSEMBLE) that more closely mirrored the continuity of another one of their movies. But even beyond that, for fans of Amazing Spider-Man Ben Reilly's return makes plenty of sense.

7- Jackal, the evil mastermind behind the clones originally has returned to prominence in both the Spider Island storyline as well as returning to menace Peter's most recent protege Alpha, and even the brand Scarlet Spider has returned led by Kaine, another Parker clone, in his own title. Most of all: the presence of Ben Reilly frees Peter Parker to return to a life of relative calm AND, as has been frequently mentioned, there was no reason for Reilly to dissolve at the end of his run as it had already been mentioned that he was a so-called "perfect clone:" not possessing the genetic flaw that caused them to breakdown. It wouldn't even be the end of Parker in the comics, he could still be a mentor/advisor within the title.

8- The Clone Saga essentially was Marvel's first attempt at a One More Day-style resetting of Spider-Man's life, but it seemed to turn into a case of too many clashing ideas with different creators having different storylines, different visions contradicting each other and, ultimately, being impenetrably confusing and rejected by fans, requiring still ANOTHER messy retcon in the melting of the "perfect" clone.

9- If we consider that Ben Reilly essentially IS Peter Parker, complete with the parental figures of Aunt May and Uncle Ben (from which his name is derived) but without the inherent attachement to MJ or Black Cat: we get a completely unattached Spider-Man, which is what One More Day was supposed to achieve, but instead of an out-of-nowhere retcon involving unnecessary demonic intervention, it's something that should have happened decades ago, just more gracefully. It isn't at all that Peter Parker isn't a worthwhile protagonist, it's that Marvel has been trying to find a way for him to step aside, not be eliminated fully, even since before One More Day.

10- It could be Kaine because the new Spidey has become a bit more short with his villains. He seems to have lost compassion for those who truly are good inside, like his recent run-in with Morbius in the last Lizard story arc.

11- Stegman said in the USA Today interview that he will indeed have some new abilities.

12- Writer Dan Slott said that,"He's not going to be doing things the old Spider-Man way. There will be a new way of doing things...The first story arc is called 'Hero or menace?' I think that pretty much tells you where we're going."

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By Teerack

Can't be Kane because Scarlet Spider is one of the few titles not being canceled with Marvel NOW taking over.

fesak2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fesak2

@Eroc23 said:

3- Think about it: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN writer Dan Slott has claimed that he'll have to go into hiding and give no interviews after ASM #700 is released, so unless he's very intentionally misleading readers, it will have to be something big. What could trigger such a response in fans?

This pretty much says it's not Ben Reilly or Kaine since they both have lots of fans and are logical choices. The response would probably be more positive than negative.

Compare to if Superior will turn out to be Dr Octopus or someone random like Taskmaster, then there would be fanrage.

Eroc23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Eroc23

@fesak2: Havent you read the part in which says so unless he is a very intentionally misleading reader

fesak2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fesak2

Well yes, but that's a strange way of misleading. They're building it up to be huge, so it would be unwise to start the new series with a big anticlimax.

Eroc23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Eroc23

@Teerack:

Unfortunately is been confirmed that its not Kaine. Steve Wacker the editor said that Kaine will meet the new Superior Spider-man and that the Scarlet Spider series is not getting canceled. So as much as i'd like it to be Kaine it isn't.

Eroc23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Eroc23

@fesak2: Look I know it is your first time here but if you think that Alistair Smythe is Superior Spider-Man then fine because he is also possible candidate.I didn't put him in because he is a villain. Who do you think is Superior Spider-Man and why ?

fesak2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fesak2

It's not really my first time here :p

Right now everything points at Smythe, but personally I hope it's Miguel O'Hara. Storywise that doesn't make much sense though.

Eroc23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Eroc23

@fesak2:

Slott said recently in a interview that the Miguel tweet was a red herring. That in my eyes was the only thing keeping him as a possibility. Aside from that he has no real connection to Slott's run or 616 Spider-man at all as mch as i'd love to see him. I don't think we will.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By gotwillpower

@Eroc23: There is a big thread by Strider92 about Smythe as superior.

@Eroc23 said:

@Teerack:

Unfortunately is been confirmed that its not Kaine. Steve Wacker the editor said that Kaine will meet the new Superior Spider-man and that the Scarlet Spider series is not getting canceled. So as much as i'd like it to be Kaine it isn't.

Wait, so you now you think it will only be Ben Reilly? I don't know, clones just don't seem like they fit into Superior Spider-man. But what do I know.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Teerack

@gotwillpower: IDK if it'll be a clone I'm just saying it can't be Kane.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Teerack

@Eroc23: My post say's it CAN'T be Kane.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By mewmdude77

It's not going to be a clone. Slott said it'd be something that's never been done before.

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By fesak  Moderator

@mewmdude77 said:

It's not going to be a clone. Slott said it'd be something that's never been done before.

Then it's obvious.

A potato is the new Spider-man

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By PunyParker

@fesak: I knew it!!!!

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By zombietag

nope

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gotwillpower

@Teerack: Sorry, I meant to direct my statement to Eroc23.

Eroc23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Eroc23

@gotwillpower: I know you are going to say it Alistair Smythe because of strider but he is a villain.Why would he become a vigilante, he has no motive.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Superior Spider-Man is Captain America. Amirite?

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HushoftheWind

i would wouldnt put it passed them to make Kaine the new Spider-Man, i honestly wouldnt, i didnt see any listings of Scarlet Spider next year(i really didnt look).

Eroc23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Eroc23

@Vance Astro: Captain America has his own ongoing series and he does not have superpowers similar to Spider-Man.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By danhimself

there are already multiple threads about this...why another one?

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gotwillpower

@Eroc23 said:

@gotwillpower: I know you are going to say it Alistair Smythe because of strider but he is a villain.Why would he become a vigilante, he has no motive.

Like Strider92 said, Smythe is not totally villainous (like say, Doc Ock). He led Spider-man to cure everyone in Spider-Island. Not to mention, Superior is supposed to be darker, so his villainous elements support that.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Eroc23 said:

@Vance Astro: Captain America has his own ongoing series and he does not have superpowers similar to Spider-Man.

I wasn't serious.
    PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PunyParker

@Vance Astro: Oh really?...you THROW out names like that and then you say you wasnt serious???!!!

HOW DARE YOU MISTER,HOW DARE YOU????.....i believed in you.....i trusted you.....

Eroc23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Eroc23

@gotwillpower:You don't get it do you ? He wants to suceed in killing Spider-Man,not being friends with him.There is are huge contradictions because Dan Slott and other people are misleading readers,They are messing with our minds including Striders.The huge contradiction is that it is shown that Superior Spider-Man sides with Jonah Jameson but Alistair Smythe would never take sides with him, he would kill him.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @PunyParker said:

@Vance Astro: Oh really?...you THROW out names like that and then you say you wasnt serious???!!!

HOW DARE YOU MISTER,HOW DARE YOU????.....i believed in you.....i trusted you.....

Im sorry Mr.Parker but you can never know the truth. EVER!
    gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gotwillpower

@Eroc23: Where did you hear that Superior Spider-man sides with Jonah? I didn't know that. If he does side with Jonah, then you're right, Smythe probably isn't Superior. Still, I'm not sure it would be a clone. The most recent preview of Superior Spider-man #1, which includes the dialogue from the art previews that we've already seen, shows Superior Spider-man saying this:

"Can't believe Parker put up with this. The man must have been insane." This is as Spider-man is web-slinging away from a group of bad guys, apparently, because he doesn't feel like dealing with them. I really know nothing of how the clones behave, but I don't think it could be Kaine (because he has his own ongoing series now and because in the preview SuperiorSpider-man talks about his spider-sense) or Ben Reilly (unless they bring him back from the dead). You see? The likelihood of Superior Spider-man being a clone is low, not just because either one doesn't fit the bill, but because it would be anticlimactic.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PunyParker

@Vance Astro: MONSTER....you make puppies cry!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @PunyParker said:

@Vance Astro: MONSTER....you make puppies cry!

It's for the greater good.
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I don't think it will be Kaine

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By TDK_1997

I don't think that either of them will be Superior Spider-Man.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By Lvenger

@gotwillpower: The solicit for Superior Spider-Man 3 says something along the lines of "Is the Superior Spider-Man in cahoots with Mayor Jameson?" Smythe would never be willing to work with Jonah so that's why it's unlikely Smythe will be the SSM.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6179a9df861
    deactivated-5d6179a9df861

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Is the Superior Spider-Man in cahoots with Mayor Jameson, what if JJJ is the Superior Spider-Man. jocking ;)

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gotwillpower

@Lvenger: Thanks for letting me know! Now I'm totally clueless who it will be. Norman Osborn? Maybe it really is Ben Reilly? I don't want it to be, but it's possible if Slott brings him back from the dead. On the podcast with Dan Slott and Tony, Tony was actually talking about how he doesn't think Ben Reilly is dead, because he disintegrated so quickly in his death.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By thespideyguy

@Teerack said:

Can't be Kane because Scarlet Spider is one of the few titles not being canceled with Marvel NOW taking over.

Well it can't be Ben Reilly we would have already seen his turn.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By thespideyguy

We already no who it is.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By TheCrowbar

Uncle Ben.

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lamenoire

@Eroc23 said:

@Teerack:

I think he said Kaine would react to the event in Superior Spiderman

in the preview we can see that superior is actually calling the original Spidey "Parker". Something Kaine is doing a lot. and He just received a letter from Madam Web...

you people are realising that every series are not happening at the same time ? Maybe they actually want to wrap his life in Houston

Superior being Kaine is what I hope is happening. Because I think he is the best to replace him

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PunyParker

Anyone concidered Aunt May?....No?....ok

Eroc23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Eroc23

@haydenclaireheroes:

in the preview we can see that superior is actually calling the original Spidey "Parker". Something Kaine is doing a lot. and He just received a letter from Madam Web...

you people are realising that every series are not happening at the same time ? Maybe they actually want to wrap his life in Houston

Superior being Kaine is what I hope is happening. Because I think he is the best to replace him

Eroc23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Eroc23

@gotwillpower:

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lamenoire

@gotwillpower: Kaine doesn't have his spider sense anymore. But come on... it was the case for Peter some time ago. You really think he can't having back ? there is a story arc dealing with his new powers on the way...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.