Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man's Jokes.

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By clonesaga2099

How do you feel about Spider-Man's jokes? What style of humor do you like best for Spidey? Do you think he should make less or more jokes?

Maybe share a favorite quip?

SpideyJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the dated pop-culture reference jokes that Slott has taken to giving Spidey recently, they just come off as completely cringeworthy. Spidey is an intelligent and witty 28 year old super hero, not some 10 year old kid trying too hard to be the class clown cuz at times ASM can read like that. Personally I'd like to see his humor mature a bit, but that's just me idk how others feel about it

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

He works best if he's throwing around corny jokes. That's part of the character's charm. The story of a hero whose entire premise is dark with death, guilt and mistakes while still keeping his story charming and funny because of his positive thinking, never give up attitude and corny jokes is the reason Spider-Man appeals to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-59847e5816856
    deactivated-59847e5816856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He works best if he's throwing around corny jokes. That's part of the character's charm. The story of a hero whose entire premise is dark with death, guilt and mistakes while still keeping his story charming and funny because of his positive thinking, never give up attitude and corny jokes is the reason Spider-Man appeals to me.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By kcomicfan

I like Spider-Man's corny jokes and pop culture references, they are always light and fun and it adds to the characters charm. I think this style of humour works best for the character.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyjj said:

"I hate the dated pop-culture reference jokes that Slott has taken to giving Spidey recently, they just come off as completely cringeworthy. Spidey is an intelligent and witty 28 year old super hero, not some 10 year old kid trying too hard to be the class clown cuz at times ASM can read like that. Personally I'd like to see his humor mature a bit, but that's just me idk how others feel about it."

I absolutely agree. You know Pete has always had a great sense of humor, but there was always a balance to how Spider-Man used jokes when confronting villains or in general everyday life.

I loathe the deconstructive measures Marvel have gone to over the past 8 years or so in regressing Peter to an immature wisecracking class clown. What once symbolized and defined his character with subtle but clever humor has been replaced with blatant overkill.

The sad thing is a lot of newbie fans think of the immature wisecracking class clown as the definitive Spider-Man personality. Really makes you wonder how much Spider-Man they have actually read.

Skyleat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sad thing is a lot of newbie fans think of the immature wisecracking class clown as the definitive Spider-Man personality. Really makes you wonder how much Spider-Man they have actually read.

And the saddest is that there is a high probability that this kind of personality will be used in the MCU.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyjj said:

I hate the dated pop-culture reference jokes that Slott has taken to giving Spidey recently, they just come off as completely cringeworthy. Spidey is an intelligent and witty 28 year old super hero, not some 10 year old kid trying too hard to be the class clown cuz at times ASM can read like that. Personally I'd like to see his humor mature a bit, but that's just me idk how others feel about it

They're dialing down Spidey's creativie humor side for Deadpool so Deadpool can have a purpose to exist and not completely rip off Spidey.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadpool was never a Spidey rip off. The only similarity was that he appeared as a smart mouth who talked too much, much in the vein of Spider-Man, but also very different.

Spider-Man works best as he has since inception, as a mature, serious and formidable super hero, using humor in a clever and witty way, not as the silly immature clown of recent years.

From Comicbook.com

This is one of the rare cases where the creator actually fully admits that their creation is a direct parody of someone else's character. Creators Rob Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza came up with the idea for a new character. Liefeld was tasked with drawing a concept. When he showed the concept to Nicieza, Nicieza quickly replied, "This is Deathstroke."

Deadpool was so like Deathstroke that Nicieza was afraid they would be sued. Deadpool and Deathstroke both have healing factors, are incredibly skilled assassins, they both use a mix of guns of blades, and their costumes are very similar looking. Both characters were also the villains of teenaged teams as well. Deathstroke primarily targeted the Teen Titans while Deadpool went after The New Mutants.

Also their names are a dead give away. Deathstroke is Slade Wilson, and Deadpool is Wade Wilson. Deadpool is a rare case. He was originally created as a direct parody, yet over the years he has taken on a life of his own. Originally, he appeared as only a smart-mouth who talked too much, much in the vein of Spider-Man. However, he eventually discovered that he is just a character in a comic book, and ever since then, he has taken on a completely new persona. One which makes most characters that interact with him think he is completely idiotic and insane.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jimishim12

@magnetic_eye said:

Deadpool was never a Spidey rip off. The only similarity was that he appeared as a smart mouth who talked too much, much in the vein of Spider-Man, but also very different.

Spider-Man works best as he has since inception, as a mature, serious and formidable super hero, using humor in a clever and witty way, not as the silly immature clown of recent years.

From Comicbook.com

This is one of the rare cases where the creator actually fully admits that their creation is a direct parody of someone else's character. Creators Rob Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza came up with the idea for a new character. Liefeld was tasked with drawing a concept. When he showed the concept to Nicieza, Nicieza quickly replied, "This is Deathstroke."

Deadpool was so like Deathstroke that Nicieza was afraid they would be sued. Deadpool and Deathstroke both have healing factors, are incredibly skilled assassins, they both use a mix of guns of blades, and their costumes are very similar looking. Both characters were also the villains of teenaged teams as well. Deathstroke primarily targeted the Teen Titans while Deadpool went after The New Mutants.

Also their names are a dead give away. Deathstroke is Slade Wilson, and Deadpool is Wade Wilson. Deadpool is a rare case. He was originally created as a direct parody, yet over the years he has taken on a life of his own. Originally, he appeared as only a smart-mouth who talked too much, much in the vein of Spider-Man. However, he eventually discovered that he is just a character in a comic book, and ever since then, he has taken on a completely new persona. One which makes most characters that interact with him think he is completely idiotic and insane.

Liedfield and Kelly called Deadpool the Anti Peter Parker/Spider-Man respectively. That was always the case when Deadpool always tells jokes that he's Peter's unfiltered and uncontroble side unleashed with none of the responsibilty or moral boundries.

Deathstroke is just template design wise but Spider-Man is just his inspiration(troubled yet witty self deprecating comedian that acts funny but is sad inside).

Peter used to be like that, then came ironically Kelly and gave him the mature and dutiful personality that carried him to JMS's hands.

Spidey is immature because thats how he used to be, he was the class clown of heroes compared to his peers like Captain America, Hulk, etc etc, he even more immature currently because Marvel is in love with Deadpool and wants Peter to immate him due to how edgy and daring Wade is which makes Spider-Man less cool in comparison joke wise.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.