Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man Respect Thread

• 188 results
    Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

hello? anybody home ? i have a few scans where he beats up luke cage...twice i'll upload em as soon as i find our that this isn't a dead thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6179a9df861
    deactivated-5d6179a9df861

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

All hail Spidey the greatest hero ever and my favorit hero since age 5.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#153  Edited By Strider1992

A Spider-man respect thread I haven't participated in? I must amend this now!

My two favorite reaction feats!

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#154  Edited By VeganDiet
    No Caption Provided

A very overlooked reaction feat

Spidermeat101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Spidermeat101

Spider-man is a great hero.He's a hero people can relate to.He's went through hard times.His uncle that was like a father to him died.He had to get money to pay for rent and food,relationship problems,all that.He is one of the best heroes and is Marvel's first human superhero.He's always kicking butt.He;s really cool and he deserves to be popular.Long Live Spider-Man!!

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By TrueMarvel

less talking more scans...

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#157  Edited By PunyParker

SPIIIIIIIDEEEERMAAAAAN!!!

clonesaga2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By clonesaga2099
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    The Amazing Spider-Man!
    The Amazing Spider-Man!
    Avatar image for spidermanandsuperman
    spidermanandsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like spiderman a lot just wish he would be more powerful

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Taking a stand !

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By VeganDiet

Hopefully this isn't verboten or something, but I just found this ridiculously long, amazingly done Spider-man respect thread. Some of the pictures are no longer working, but most of them are. It's categorized by type of feat and in those categories they are ordered by impressiveness. They even have a very good catalogue of Spider-man's fights against both heroes and villains. It was originally created by a user called Dark Crawler for herochat, but that site doesn't seem to accept new users any longer, so someone reposted it elsewhere. It's worth a look through.

http://forums.fanboybuzz.com/showthread.php?7974-Spider-Man-Respect-Thread

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By BlackWind

Pretty bare respect thread for Spider Man.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By VeganDiet

@BlackWind: You should go through the one I just posted if you wanna see some good stuff.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By BlackWind

I'd expect a Spider Man respect thread to have 20+ pages and faaaaaaaaar more feats. Especially one five years old.

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlackWind said:

I'd expect a Spider Man respect thread to have 20+ pages and faaaaaaaaar more feats. Especially one five years old.

me too

SpiderFan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BlackWind said:

me too

I agree. You can all tell how much I respect the webslinger. Only here for feats. Surprised lack of them.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By segamarvel

Exactly what kind of respect thread is this? Is it one about his awesome powers or his most defining willpowered determination type moments?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This be like the other ones, particularly on DC where people post scans of feats. Unfortunately it doesn't seem Spidey has had too many recently judging by the lack of scans on here!

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

@bezza:

No Caption Provided

To be fair he just recently came back from the IMO awful Superior story arc. So he's gonna need time to get his feet back into the game. Here's a pic of him beating my former second favorite villain.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a time where Spidey fought a villain named Psycho-Man. His main weapon is an emotion-controlling device that projects a ray capable of stimulating the centres of emotion within a person's brain. The device has settings allowing it to produce fear, doubt, and hate, which he can induce for whatever duration and intensity he desires. Though the limits of this device are unknown, he can induce a condition of fear capable of triggering hallucinations and even trigger death due to heart strain. But Peter managed to overcome this. He may doubt himself but he doesn't let that stop him from doing what needs to be done. He gets shit done whether it ruins his life in the process or not. That's just the kind of hero he is. And for all those people saying he whines to much? Cut the guy some slack he's been around for over 50 years, he was bound to have a few breaking points.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Bezza
    No Caption Provided

Here's a feat from the recent film! Catching almost 2 tons of cop car like its a bag of sugar.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Bezza
    No Caption Provided

Flicking a train carriage over with one finger!

No Caption Provided

Giving it to Hulk!!

No Caption Provided

Socking it to Thor in the mush!!

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: You forgot the feat where Spidey tanks electricity to the face. He's so cool that alien worlds make statues in his honor. Oh also he can invent a heat ray in 2 hours.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@segamarvel:

Cool! I am bit behind on my spiderman reading, like 29 years behind...!

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: That's a real shame. You've missed out. I'm focusing my respect on mostly Spidey's heroic defining moments (not that his abilities aren't awesome). Osborn's such a freaking devil. He'd kill his own grand son if he wanted to. Parker could absolutely crush Osborn’s skull into goblin paste in a heartbeat if he stopped holding back. Of course Spider-Man can’t kill anybody, no matter the stakes or the leverage. That’s what makes him a superhero in the first place. Peter admitted he should hate the Goblin for killing Gwen, but by giving into that bitterness he would forever blacken the memory of the first girl he ever loved. Osborn is basically shocked at the unbreakable Spirit Peter has. The worst part of that verbal exchange? The words hit harder and truer than any punch could. Parker’s shown his unbreakable morality — the reason we love and value him so much as a character. Spider-Man won, Green Goblin lost. As it always will be.

dcbicthes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By dcbicthes

Breaks some of Dr. Ock's Carbonadium tentacles. (Carbonadium is almost as strong as Adamantium)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Lifts a Train car

No Caption Provided

Spidercide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*cracks neck and knuckles*

Lets do this.

I’ve seen some comments on the thread early on and in other places I quickly wanna address.

So Spider-Man’s powerset is unimpressive. Nope.

I think, along with other aspects of Spider-Man, people take Peter’s powers for granted probably because he is so iconic and such an institution we’re all just used to him by now. At the same time he’s never been long term played up by fans or in the comics to be powerful the ways Superman or Batman have been so he doesn’t stand out as much. But when you break his powers and feats down he is damn impressive.

Yeah super strength, agility and heightened reflexes are a fairly standard powerset. But people seriously underestimate all of those on their own. Spider-Man’s reflexes are roughly ten times those of...I forget if its the average human or if they said of an Olympic athlete. Point is he’s mad fast. Not Flash or Quicksivler levels of fast but fast enough that people couldn’t see him coming. His strength is also NOT in the 10 ton range as has often been stated. Spider-Man is well above that but he both consciously and subconsciously holds back most of the time. In the Return of Sin Eater storyline by Peter David this fact was acknowledged in light of seeing Stan Carter/the Sin Eater crippled after Spider-Man in an earlier storyline (the Death of Jean DeWolff) unleashed his rage upon him.

He has also been able to just pound the Rhino into unconsciousness and briefly suspend the Daily Bugle building. Spider-Man when he doesn’t hold back isn’t as strong as Hulk or the other top top tier characters, but he is EXTREMELY strong.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

His strength and agility and speed combined with his web, wall crawling, spider sense and intelligence (and in my headcanon instincts developed from years of bullying) give Spider-Man a fighting style wholly unique to him and other people with those same skills, which mostly just boil down to clones of him. even then his clones are not intelligent in the same way he is (Kaine is more direct and aggressive, Ben never finished college but travelled the world) and lack his experience.

Because between having at one point FOUR monthly titles (excluding quarterlys, one shots, minis, etc) and being the lead of Marvel Team up for so long Spidey has fought against and alongside just about everyone. He is among the most combat experienced fighters in the Marvel Universe, possibly being beaten out only by Captain America but I haven’t double checked that.

When you take all this into account unless they have some insane OP powerset or are genuinely just too invulnerable to standard physical blows, your run of the mill Earthbound Marvel universe hero or villain will not be able to take down Spider-Man in a fair fight, barring distractions or one of them getting lucky/unlucky.

Think about it. Spider-Man is most of the time can use the ceiling, walls and so on to his advantage in a fight. I’m not dissing Cap or anything, just using him for comparison’s sake, but Cap is strictly speaking confined to the ground. He can jump and use anything within the reach of his jump to help him. but Spider-Man is beyond that. He can attack people from almost any angle and can do so up close and personal or form a distance.

His webs work as weapons to blind and distract opponents, redirect their attacks, tie them up, block attacks (his web shield), projectiles (impact webbing), and can be used to turn anything not held down into a makeshift melee weapon. That isn’t even every application they can be put to. In one issue of Spectacular Spider-Man, Ben Reilly webbed up Doc Ock from the other side of a car and tugged hard to knock her head into the car and K.O. her. In Straczynski’s run Peter Parker basically ensnared a villain in a giant web net. In an early issue of New Avengers Peter made makeshift boxing gloves with his webs in order to provide insulated punches to Electro.

No Caption Provided

Then you have the spider sense which is 90% of the time an immensely powerful counter to anything anyone throws at him. But even then he has battled dangerous dudes like Venom often enough to be able to fight competently without that helping him. In Slott’s run (which is mostly bullshit admittedly) he even took martial arts lessons from Shang Chi himself in order to cope without the spider sense. In an earlier run he also learned some martial arts from Captain America.

Whilst not guaranteed to be effective against everyone, Peter also employs humour in his battles specifically to anger, unnerve and annoy his opponents causing them to make mistakes he can then take advantage of.

But when he stops making jokes that’s when you are in trouble. An angry Spider-Man is a real force to be reckoned with as he is pretty much relentless in a fight and could very well kill most opponents if he doesn’t stop himself. See him nearly killing the Sin Eater, the Green Goblin, Kingpin and the Rhino for proof of this (don’t fuck with his loved ones being the big take away from those).

And his resiliency and will power is really immense. Of course we got stuff like the Master Planner trilogy or Kraven’s Last Hunt for proof of that, but I am also thinking of Spectacular Spider-Man #245 where he ripped open the bars of an electrified cage in order to get free and save Mary Jane.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

All these things combined make Spider-Man visually a fairly unique character in terms of his fighting style and skills as well as a really impressive combatant.

Spidercide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Spider-Man is a whoobie?

Nope.

At least not exactly.

Of course there have been stories where he's cried or been angst ridden or sad or guilt ridden to ridiculous degrees. But this is a character who due to his popularity has not only been around for over five decades but has been worked on by a lot of writers in a lot of stories. Again in the 1990s there were FOUR Spider-Man titles every single month by four different writers trying to tell different stories.

Under those conditions bad writing and moments inevitably happen. it isn't a fault inherent in the character but writers flanderizing him. When written correctly by guys like J. Michale Straczynski, J.M. DeMatteis, Tom DeFalco Roger Stern and others that sort of stuff doesn't happen as often or at least not to the same ridiculous extents.

It isn't even a problem inherent to Spider-Man. Lots of characters go through those dips in quality which make them look bad or generally have ruts in their histories. I think Spider-Man gets so much shit for this because he is one of the three most famous and there is a greater emphasis placed upon him feeling guilt ridden than for Superman or Batman. A senseof guilt is a part of the character but fans flanderize it to being bigger and more important than it actually is or else unfairly raking Spider-Man over the coals for like EVER feeling guilty.

Similarly they do the same for the over stuff I talked about at the top of this post.

The thing is...he's human. That's the point of Spider-Man. He's the everyman. He's one of the most human of all superhumans.

And realistically...are YOU really not gonna complain and feel upset over the stuff that happens in your life if YOU went through all the stuff he did? I mean I am going out on a limb here but I am willing to be that NO ONE on this thread at the very least has honestly had to put up with the stress and hardships in their lives that Peter Parker has. Maybe like a few specific ones but not ALL of them in the course of your ONE lifetime.

Orphaned as kid.

Pretty much had no friends his own age growing up

Bullied in school

His Dad is violently murdered and it was at least indirectly his fault

His mother has serious and expensive health problems

He has to be the breadwinner and to a lesser extent caregiver for the family despite being just a kid

Also has the usual stresses of being a teenager trying to graduate and earn a scholarship and later also deals with the pressures of college studies

Literally dodges bullets pretty much everyday in order to make the world a slightly better place and to help people

Despite what he does the public hates and fears him and he is often wanted by the law

His boss is kind of an asshole who straight up lies to the public about him

His girlfriend dies and it is again kind of his fault

His enemies in theory (and in actuality) have often invaded his life and endangered his loved ones (in fairness that can happen to anyone in Marvel Universe NYC)

Some of his friends have turned into super villains

He often has difficulty holding down a steady job because again he spends a lot of his time selflessly trying to help people, which means he is usually cash strapped

And then he has regular drama everyone else has in their lives, whether its with his love life, his friends, family, etc

If YOU had all that crap going on in your life...you aren't gonna get upset sometimes? You aren't gonna angst about it sometimes?

Frankly there is MORE than enough justification there and I didn't even touch on everything, not even close.

Sure, OTHER superheroes deal with this sort of stuff and don't take it to heart and angst about it as much. But you know...maybe those other superheroes aren't are realistic or as human as Spider-Man. Which is fine, because for Spider-Man that was very much the point of the character. He is supposed to be more human, more emotional and not like the uber badasses of the comic book world such as Wolverine or Batman.

I just feel a lot of the times the criticisms of his character along these lines really do not take into account the realities of the life he leads. I know its a cliche that Aunt May says this, but its kind of true. Peter is a fairly sensitive guy. Not necessarily clued up when it comes to social interactions or other peoples feelings (he makes mistakes in that department from time to time), and he isn't like a crybaby or anything.

But he takes things to heart, he feels stuff a lot. Which in turn does actually help him be a pretty caring and selfless guy.

He isn't the same kind of superhero power fantasy other characters are. Again, not dissing those guys. They are one particular flavour, Spider-Man is another. He's a power fantasy which resonates and is poignant because he is comparatively closer to reality. He is MORE like us than say Superman or Batman are and yet he is still this heroic moralistic guy. He just makes mistakes from time to time is all.

He goes through serious crap in his life but still keeps going. Granted he wouldn't be able to do that without a lot of support from his loved ones like Aunt May or Mary Jane. But that also doesn't make him weak. No man is an island and this is so true of a guy like Spider-Man who has the best supporting cast around and so many friends, in and out of the superhero community. Like most of us his personal relationships help balance him and give him strength to keep going, whereas he'd probably fall apart without them. Which is again, true to life. We all need people, and Spider-Man's life kind of embodies that.

When you take that into account alongside what I said about how he feels stuff more than most superheroes and is more sensitive it makes all the more sense that often times in his stories you see how one half of his life is affected by stuff happening in the other. It makes sense that his fighting performance will be impacted if Aunt May is sick and it makes sense that he might be distant with his friends because of some crisis that he encountered as Spider-Man.

Spidercide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally lets talk about some of the reasons Spider-Man is awesome and worthy of respect.

His sense of humour. Arguably no other hero did this before him. Arguably no other hero who isn’t Deadpool has done it better than him since. Less arguably he was the best character to do it at the time of his creation.

And the ingenious thing about it is that it isn’t just there for the sake of it. Spider-Man’s sense of humour is there because it relaxes him and eases his realistic stress in combat situations and throws his enemies off their game.

His supporting cast. Best supporting cast in all comics period. Jameson is hilarious yet complex. Joe Robertson back in the 1960s was a relatively rare example of an African American character with real dignity. Betty Brant is nuts yet fun. Harry Osborn is brilliantly complex due to being so screwed up but not truly evil. Flash Thompson has had a great character arc from bully to soldier to friend to alcoholic to veteran to hero. And Mary Jane is possibley the greatest female love interest to any superhero ever.

His villains. Apart from Batman and Dick Tracey Spider-Man’s villains are the best of the best. They are versatile, some have great complexity to them and they are just visiually striking. Doc Ock and Norman Osborn are top tier as far as complex villains go.

Flexibility in stories. Whilst working best when telling down to Earth street level stories, Spider-Man tonally can be light and fun comedy stories like When Commeth the Commuter, deep emotional introspective stories like the Conversation where he and Aunt May discuss his secret identity, bad ass crime noir like the Gang War storyline back in 1987, dark and deeply psychological stories like Kraven’s Last Hunt, Big Damn Hero stories like Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut and everything in between.

His character and franchise have been like, abused basically since One More Day, but all that is why Spider-Man is one of the best heroes of all time and deserves major respect.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spidercide

All of what you said was well researched and beautifully said. Kudos to you!

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidercide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ain't even done yet son!

Spider-Man deserves respect because he was the original solo-teen super hero.

Whilst you had the pure wish fulfillment of Billy Batson, the iconic sidekicks like Robin and the junior members of teams like Johnny Storm, but Peter Parker was the first superhero who was an honest to God teenager in and out of costume AND went it alone. As far as being a superhero was concerned, he stood independant just as much as Superman or Batman did. No one was leading him, mentoring him or telling him what to do (which is why I am very cocnerned about how Iron Man will feautre in Spider-Man: Homecoming btw).

Peter Parker wasn’t Spider-Lad, or Web-Kid or even a cool ass single word name like ‘Tarantula’. From day one he was Spider-MAN. appropriate since he was messing with adult responsibilites from a younger age.

And the coolest thing is he did it ALL HIMSELF.

No one made his costume and webshooters for him. No one showed him HOW to be a crime fighter. He just figured it out himself on the streets bro.

Although Peter was definitely a nerd and on the whole a pretty naive and wholesome kind of guy (he was raised by people old enough to be his grandparents back in the 1960s) because he was a teenager, because he was independant, because the adult authority figures like J Jonah Jameson hated him and turned the public against him he was at the time of his creation (the early 1960s) kind of a metatextual posterchild for teenage rebellion and the 1960s countercultrue movement. I seem to recall students in the 1960s voting him and the Hulk as like symbols of the era or something.

Now, lets get thsi straight. Being a teenager was never THE POINT of Spider-Man. Fuck Tom Brevoort and Joe Quesada and all those other people who harp on about how Spider-Man is ‘about youth’.

Naw man. Spider-Man HAPPENED to be young at first as just something different and so Stan Lee played him as a teenager. Meanwhile he played Reed and Thor as older and then he and Gerry Conway and everyone following them played Spider-Man older as the character himself gradually aged. Although when Stan left he was still like just 20 years old, which is to say still really emotionally immature in a lot of ways.

Different writers have had different degrees of success writign Spider-Man appropriately for the age he is. JMS wrote Spider-Man as the late 20s/early 30s adult man he was whilst guys like Joe Kelly (who rock on stuff like Deadpool) write him as though he’s a manchild straight out of high school. A lot of that can be attributed to people JUST looking at Stan’s iconic run and trying to replicate that whilst missing both the actual point of the character and ignoring the big picture of his development since then. Spider-Man isn’t a character with a default setting on how he will act (although some character traits and ideals he holds are everpresent). 18 year old Spider-Man in like 1965 wasn’t exactly the same kind of guy he was as 22 year old Spider-Man in like 1973 who wasn’t exactly like 25 year old Spider-Man in 1987 who wasn’t exactly like 28 year old Spider-man in 1997 who wasn’t exactly like 30 year old Spider-Man in 2004.

Like Harry Potter (but on a longer, larger scale) Peter Parker grew and evolved over time as he aged and went through different life experiences. He wasn’t alone in that regard, other Marvel characters had the same happen tot hem check out Kitty pryde or Johnny Storm. But Spidey did it first.

And that’s awesome because character development is way better than stagnante never changing characters. We all grow and change over time as we age and in response to our life experiences and if Spider-Man’s core concept was to be (relatively speaking) the average joe superhero+Great Power/great responsibility then he SHOULD age and SHOULD develop organically. And that feeds back into his whole point being about great power and great responsibility.

His responsibilities changed as he grew older. Teen Spidey in high school had to earn money to support aunt May and earn his scholarship. Early 20s Spider-man who was dating Gwen Stacy had to earn his degree, make his rent and also try to be a good boyfriend to the woman he was in love with, and also look after her after her Dad died and try to be a good friend to his new social group. Mid-20s Spider-Man was just trying to support himself in the big bad world after leaving full time education and also trying to figure out what he really wanted out of life, which getting married was a part. Late 20s Spider-Man was a teacher, an Avenger, and a family man with a wife whom he had to be considerate of. And if Marvel hadn’t nobbled it we’d have gotten what we see in Renew Your Vows and had a Spider-Man who’s also got the greatest responsiblty of all: being a parent.

All that stuff are things MANY people deal with in the course of their lives and Spider-Man had to juggle those responsibilites against this HUGE responsibility of being a superhero (which is like being a combination police officer, firefighter, doctor, secret agent and soldier).

The drama came from how successful he was at juggling those things and outside of shitty writing usually sometimes he succeeded, sometimes he failed, sometimes it’d be something in between. Which again is so true to life, which was very much the point for Spider-Man, moreso than probably than even the rest of the Marvel universe. We all got responsibilites in our life and the power to live up to them and we all gotta try and make good on them. Sometimes we succeed, sometimes we fail, more often than not we fall somewhere in between.

This is beautifully illustrated in two places.

At the end of the first episode of the Spectacular Spider-Man Animated Series (the BEST Spider-Man adaptation of all time) Peter Parker has had a shitty day. He wanted to make a big impression at school, shrug off his nerd rep, score adate with a girl he liked and make some cash from Spider-Man photos. None of that happened and on top of that he got attacked by supervillains and had a curfew imposed upon him by Aunt May cos she was worried. But at the end of the episode he just says that yeah he had a bad day, but you know what: he’s Spider-Man. and more importantly he’s got his aunt in his life who loves and cares about him.

The other example is at the end of Amazing Spider-Man #12. Stan Lee basically TELLS the readers in not so many words that if you think Spider-Man is inherently about being a loser or being unlucky your wrong:

No Caption Provided

Translation: Spider-Man isn’t about being a loser. He’s about being ORDINARY. Which means he’s CAPABLE of losing, just like any normal person.

But for him specifically things can go wrong BECAUSE he is Spider-Man.

Why is he late for a date? Spider-Man.

Why doesn’t he get his homework done? Spider-Man.

Why can’t he show up for dinner with Aunt May? Spider-Man.

He isn’t inherently unlucky because the universe hates him, like how crappy Spider-Man writers like Mark Waid (who is awesome on other stuff) play him as.

Most everything wrong in his life stems from being Spider-Man. Look at Spider-Man 2 (2004) or Amazing Spdier-Man #50 where he quits being Spider-Man and a lot of stuff in his life improves a lot.

Its mostly all to do with being Spider-Man which is something he CHOOSES to do because he treuly beleives it is his moral responsiblity to use his powers to help people. His motivation for being a superhero is basically identical to Superman’s except he learned his lesson the hard way and (because he’s more human) he doesn’t apply the lesson perfectly all the time.

My point is if his problems mostly come from being a superhero but he chooses to be a hero because he feels he has to be one out of a sense responsibility then the stuff which goes wrong isn’t bad luck, but the ramifications of a selfless choice he makes.

Those ramifciations take the form of his normal life impact his hero life and vice versa, which to my knowledge is the first time that had ever been done with a superhero character, at least on a consistent basis as the point of the book.

The idea of doing that, of making the normal life stuff of the character at least AS important as all the costume superhero drama, and the fact that he was a teenager literally created an entire new ARCHETYPE of characters in and out of comic books.

Without Peter Parker you literally wouldn’t have:

Miles Morales

Kamala Khan

Sam Alexander

The Young Avengers

The Runaways

Kyle Rayner

Tim Drake

Speedball

Richard Rider

Jubilee

Kitty Pryde

The New Mutants

Oh and Buffy the goddam Vampire Slayer

Whether the creators of those characetrs know it or not, Peter Parker is inherently encoded into those characters creative DNA. That is how impactful Spidey is.

Spidercide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw someone up top saying there weren’t enough feats on this thread. Imma gonna fix that right now.

Threatens Kingpin in 1987:

No Caption Provided

Makes good on his promise in 2007:

No Caption Provided

Bad ass

Making sweet tender love to his lady whilst also dropping science knowledge.

No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Injects himself with radiation:

No Caption Provided

Just so he can deck this pompus ass mystic vampire douche who hits harder than the Hulk:

No Caption Provided

Bad ass

Reveals his origin and secret identity to a terminally ill kid to make him feel better:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Uses the power of baller Ron Frenz art to break all logic own a Herald of Galactus hardcore:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bad ass

Dresses up skimpy and acts goofy out of consideration for his wife.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Goes all out to try and stop Juggernaut, including taking brutal attacks, and ultimately outsmarting him:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Gives his rent money to some kids who's home got wrecked in a superhero fight:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Rips off Doc Ock’s arms!

No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Spidercide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Spidercide

Uses the love of his wife to reject the sweet embrace of death and climb out of his own grave:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Strings up Wolverine:

No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Comforting his wife after their baby is miscarried.

No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Deemed worthy of becoming Captain Universe, wielder of the Uni-Power and aspect of the Enigma Force which is part of the living universe itself:

No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Genuinely cares about the old asshole who fucked over his reputation for years:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Solos the X-Men in 3 pages, including bitch slapping Wolverine:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Bonds with Ben Reilly as a brother:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Can apparently kill the Hulk:

No Caption Provided

Bad ass

Talks to smack to Venom for threatening his lady:

No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

After weeks of physical and mental torture rejects the offer of becoming Norman Osborn’s son using the thought of his mama:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Refuses to be stay down and talking smack to the asshole who killed his old girlfriend, corrupted his best friend, fucked with his mind and now has his pregnant wife stashed away somewhere.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Works with his clone bro Ben Reilly to beat the shit out of Carnage.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Spidercide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Spidercide

Promptly starts beating Venom’s ass when he has the balls to mess with his wife and kid...and then puts him down:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

In MC2 continuity he makes Guile proud by being a family man:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Spider-Man is exhausted from lack of sleep and from fighting the criminal underworld and Doc Ock but despite that and being trapped under water still pulls off this amazballz shit:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bad ass.

Relives all his battles and toughest moments in his career one after another...and survives:

No Caption Provided

Then hours later tells his temporarily resurrected father figure that despite all the crap he’s lived through he is ultimately happy.

No Caption Provided

Bad. Ass.

TrustNoOne22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Parker Industries Feats?

Spidercide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Parker Industries Feats?

No because this is about Spider-Man not Iron Man with Spider aesphetic.

In all seriousness Parker Industries Spider-Man is lame. Not what the character is about and it just gives him gadget toys to solve the problems with.

Spidey is the everyman. He might whip up something at home but when the shit hits the fan he's gonna just use his fists his wits and his sheer grit to save the day.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.