Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man Comics Discussion

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#15501  Edited By ZariusII

@blackspidey2099 said:

@Zariusii yeah lol, it is really getting stupid now, and it's not like it wasn't already stupid before.

Captain Maerica #1 was actually really nice all the way to that horrible last page. I'm hoping it was just like Cap saying that sarcastically, not him actually being Hydra, as unlikely as that seems.

ASM #13 seems like it might be cool - I'll be looking froward to it. Still can't see why Peter and Tony would fight, but I have been hoping for Peter to get a rematch ever since Tony's actions indirectly ruined Spider-Man through Civil War and then OMD. Kick his ass, Peter! :P

IIM #10 looks to be bad. The quality of the book really fell after Marquez left - seems like Bendis is back to his old ways.

@blackspidey2099: Heh, yeah, I love the strip but it does try my patience sometimes....and it seems MJ's plan backfired anyway because Xandu's now taken something else she said and uses it to proclaim he can do some real damage to the whole city...so now we're supposed to believe he was only going to be content with a city block being infected with Nightmare's dimension if she hadn't said she was "impressed" with his power over that specific part of the city. Oy.

As for the ASM preview...I'm not really feeling it. The dialogue between Peter, Miles and Tony is atrocious. Tony one-upping Peter by giving Miles his own web-shooters is a nice touch, and somewhat of a nod to the Ultimate comics where Ultimate Tony gave Ultimate Peter web-shooters for his birthday just before he was "killed"

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#15502  Edited By The_Waffle

@zariusii said:

As for the ASM preview...I'm not really feeling it. The dialogue between Peter, Miles and Tony is atrocious.

^^This

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@animehunter: Goodness, the dialog is horendous.....

"ALL NEW, EQUALLY AMAZING SPIDER-MAN!!"

Who the F thinks like that?!!
    Is your inner dialog like magazing cover titles?!!....

Too much exposition.....i'm using a moviemaking term, but Slott has really gone off the rails here.
    Iron Man's "snarkyness", which is toned down to a human level in his book, by Bendis, is present from his first line.....
    Exposition to a major level.
    I can't stand this.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15504  Edited By ZariusII

@animehunter

:@blackspidey2099

@amazingfantasy

@Elbarto17

Retailers Upping Their Advance Reorders For DC Rebirth And Black Panther Across The Line

Greetings from the coal face of the direct comics market. Where retailers try to increase their orders of certain comics ahead of sale. Where supply and demand and most accurately reflected, where you can see which books are hot, where new orders are coming in and how retailers are reacting to new, unanticipated desire!

And it’s Rebirth that is getting the majority of attention. And if you’re notRebirth or Black Panther you might as well go home… though there is a little attention for Star Wars, Scooby Doo and just a touch of Civil War II.

TOP 25 ADVANCE REORDER COMICS/GRAPHIC NOVELS/TPs

PublicationPricePublisher
    BLACK PANTHER #2 RAHZZAH RUN JEWELS 2ND PTG VAR$3.99MAR
    BATMAN #1$2.99DC
    AGENTS OF SHIELD TP VOL 01 COULSON PROTOCOLS$17.99MAR
    BLACK PANTHER #3$3.99MAR
    BATMAN #1 VAR ED$2.99DC
    SUPERMAN #1$2.99DC
    STAR WARS HAN SOLO #1 (OF 5)$3.99MAR
    TITANS REBIRTH #1$2.99DC
    GREEN LANTERNS #1$2.99DC
    SUPERMAN #1 VAR ED$2.99DC
    STAR WARS HAN SOLO #1 (OF 5) MILLENNIUM FALCON VAR$3.99MAR
    GREEN ARROW #1$2.99DC
    PUNISHER #1 SHALVEY 2ND PTG VAR$3.99MAR
    STAR WARS #20$3.99MAR
    GREEN ARROW #1 VAR ED$2.99DC
    SCOOBY APOCALYPSE #2$3.99DC
    GREEN LANTERNS #1 VAR ED$2.99DC
    TITANS REBIRTH #1 VAR ED$2.99DC
    GWENPOOL #1 GURIHIRU 2ND PTG VAR$4.99MAR
    CIVIL WAR II X-MEN #1 (OF 4)$3.99MAR
    STAR WARS HAN SOLO #1 (OF 5) CHRISTOPHER ACTION FIGURE VAR$3.99MAR
    STAR WARS #20 CHRISTOPHER ACTION FIGURE VAR$3.99MAR
    WOLVERINE OLD MAN LOGAN TP VOL 01 BERZERKER$16.99MAR
    SCOOBY APOCALYPSE #2 VAR ED$3.99DC
    WONDER WOMAN BY GREG RUCKA TP VOL 01$29.99DC

Good news for married Superman

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

From Bleeding Cool

They’re Burning Copies Of Captain America #1 Now

There are many people upset with Captain America: Steve Rogers #1 after its shock ending that the world now knows, that he is – and always was – a Hydra agent. Much of this is due to the fact that Hydra, more in the movies than the comics, are allied with Nazis. And Captain America was created by two Jewish comic creators as an anti-Nazi figure.

We’ve shared our own theory as to how things are going down.

But condemning article have been written, hashtags have been started and boycotts of writer Nick Spencer have been arranged.

And now? They’re burning copies…

@nickspencer never picking up one of your comics again. Good job.pic.twitter.com/Qkj4IiFYJ8

— AFGenius (@TheGreatKingAFG) May 27, 2016

Of course, you know who else burned books, right?

-

@Elbarto17 aka Punyparker

@zariusii

@blackspidey2099

@riscrit aka Spideyryan

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From CBR

"SPIDER-MAN/DEADPOOL" PICKS AT THAT "ONE MORE DAY" SCAB

SPOILER WARNING: This story contains major spoilers for "Spider-Man/Deadpool" #5, in stores now.

In the final pages of this week's "Spider-Man/Deadpool,"Joe Kelly and Ed McGuinness re-opened an old wound, both for Peter Parker, and his longtime fans.

Having been killed (twice!) by Deadpool, Peter finds himself face to face with one of Marvel Comics' biggest devil figures, Mephisto. "I am the architect of your ultimate fall," the supernatural villain whispers in Peter's ear. "And I'm going to tell you a secret about your life... about why you'll never find true happiness..."

"You will always be missing something," a rattled and (thanks to Deadpool's demonic wife Shiklah) resurrected Peter recalls on the following page. "Incomplete. Unfinished. And ultimately, no matter how hard you fight, which cause you choose, the battle will always end with your facing... emptiness."

Larger Image

spidey one more day 1

Larger Image

spidey one more day 2

Mehpisto's wonderfully melodramatic dialogue could be interpreted as simply an allusion to a superhero's never-ending battle -- but more likely refers to the deal the devil made with Mary Jane Watson in 2007's "Amazing Spider-Man" controversial storyline, "One More Day." That bargain effectively erased her and Peter's marriage from Marvel continuity in exchange for saving the life of Aunt May, who was in critical condition after being shot.

Written by J. Michael Stracynzki and then Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada, with art by Quesada, the arc was heavily criticized at the time by Spider-Man fans, and for many remains a sore point.

When "Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows," a miniseries featuring a married Peter and MJ and their young daughter, was announced, fans wondered if it possibly indicated a return to the pre-OMD continuity in the wake of the reality-changing "Secret Wars."

While that proved not to be the case, Kelly and McGuinness' "Spider-Man/Deadpool" scene has opened the door to potentially at least revisiting the controversial storyline. Whether it's the first step towards reuniting what was once Marvel Comics' premier couple, or is simply a way to elicit a genuinely emotional moment for readers, remains to be seen.

-

@zariusii

@blackspidey2099

@riscrit aka Spideyryan

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: Yeah, this is encouraging news now that CBR are running it...they are in Marvel's backpockets so you know they'll get the scoop eventually.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that a lot of good news today but I'm not ready to get my hopes up for the marriage anytime soon. RYV was a huge disappointment. But good news for Lois and Clark and even Steve Rodgers. That was total BS

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Elbarto17:

I'm not being facetious but exposition is not just a moviemaking term. It is a device used in television programs, films, literature, poetry, plays and even music. It is the writer's way to give background information to the audience about the setting and the characters of the story.

Not having a go or anything. I just felt like pointing that out. But then again, you may already know this. :-)

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15514  Edited By PunyParker

@Elbarto17:

I'm not being facetious but exposition is not just a moviemaking term. It is a device used in television programs, films, literature, poetry, plays and even music. It is the writer's way to give background information to the audience about the setting and the characters of the story.

Not having a go or anything. I just felt like pointing that out. But then again, you may already know this. :-)

No i didn't, i thought it was only used in film.
    I thought the act of "exposition" in any other format was called differently.

Learned something today :)

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Bleeding Cool

They’re Burning Copies Of Captain America #1 Now

Sometimes i really think that Marvel doesn't know what are they doing anymore......

It's really bad, what they did....they didn't "kill" anyone, they didn't make anyone "different" .....
    They screwed up, in every way possible with this, this is just bad....

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15516  Edited By magnetic_eye

@Elbarto17:

Hope you don't mind but here's a couple of websites I thought you might like.

I find exposition a fascinating subject across all forms of storytelling.

http://www.elementsofcinema.com/screenwriting/exposition.html

http://literarydevices.net/exposition/

Avatar image for deactivated-59848080e4380
    deactivated-59848080e4380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Marvel's comics division is floundering so badly in sales that they will resort to using a revisionist BS story (much like Silk's supposed origin) to spike sales.

Even if Cap is pretending to infiltrate Hydra, or he's been brainwashed or whatever, it seems like an insensitive but all too typical Marvel print division strategy these days to anger fans. Controversy, disrespect and shock tactics does not guarantee higher sales.

I've pulled out my classic CAPTAIN AMERICA # 110-113 mags for pure inspirational reading.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@animehunter: Goodness, the dialog is horendous.....

"ALL NEW, EQUALLY AMAZING SPIDER-MAN!!"

Who the F thinks like that?!!

Is your inner dialog like magazing cover titles?!!....

ikr I was thinking wtf when I read it, Slotts dialogue has always been atrocious.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15520  Edited By ZariusII

@animehunter: I've been reading more of the early newspaper strip storylines (now well into 1980) and the Carol/Peter/MJ triangle is a fascinating read. Peter basically treats MJ as his steady right up until another girl he's interested in comes back on the scene (and in previous instances where MJ goes her own path, he tries to date and marry other women as quickly as possible(!)), anyway a jealous MJ eventually gives info on Carol to the cult of Loomis and now she's being stalked again, with the Kingpin bailing her out. It's great stuff that shows how flawed every character is, but yet they're still likeable.

Back in the present day strips, Xandu's transformed most of the city into an extension of Nightmare's realm...and Peter's making quips about parking spaces!

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who is reading Spider-man Deadpool? Should I be reading it? I haven't been following it as I am pretty "Deadpooled" out right now. However, after hearing about the latest issue im definitely intrigued.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who is reading Spider-man Deadpool? Should I be reading it? I haven't been following it as I am pretty "Deadpooled" out right now. However, after hearing about the latest issue im definitely intrigued.

The first couple of issues are a bit rocky, but it quickly finds it's feet and the story becomes relentlessly entertaining . Give it a go.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter

@blackspidey2099

@amazingfantasy

@Elbarto17

Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 29th May 2016 – Watchmen Beats Nazis

This is the Top Ten Bleeding Cool Bestseller List, as compiled by a number of comic stores from their sales on Wednesday and Thursday. It measures what are known as the “Wednesday Warriors”, those who can’t wait to the weekend to get this week’s comics. We salute you, and the keenness you bring to your passion.

And, yes, a certain DC Universe Rebirth topped the list. But it was a very strong week for sales all around, anything in the top seven could have made the number one in a normal week.

• 1. DC Universe Rebirth #1
    • 2. Justice League #50
    • 3. Star Wars # 19
    • 4. Captain America: Steve Rogers #1
    • 5. Superman #52
    • 6. Spider-Man/Deadpool #5
    • 7. Scooby Doo Apocalypse #1
    • 8. Doctor Strange #8
    • 9. Obi-Wan Kenobi #5
    • 10. Flash #52

Thanks to the following retailers,

And this is what they had to say.

No surprises here, as DC Rebirth became the top seller for us easily. We had at least one copy in almost every single pile that walked out the door on Friday. It even bumped up sales on Superman #52 and Justice League #50 (not that that one needed much help).

Now it’s just a matter of getting those people who bought Rebirth to stick around…..

Spiderman-Deadpool takes the #1 spot and Deadpool takes the #8th. 9 top spots are all Movie related comics. Movies have become a fast track to success for Wednesdays. Indies did extremely well this week for us.

Flashpoint has been popping again thanks to the Flash Season 2 finale. Rachet and Clank comics and other merchandise are also in high demand. Preacher back issues have also been in high demand thanks to the AMC premiere!

Wow, Rebirth is one for the record books here. We sold more copies of it than any other comic in our history of being open. Justice League 50 while not coming through with the Joker’s secret I.D. as it was said it would still blew out the door. Star Wars still a hot seller. Hopefully Marvel won’t cancel that too after Darth Vader. Captain America Steve Rogers 1 didn’t blow out the doors. Reaction to the big reveal was “meh”. One of the best sales days we have ever had. Hoping we have ordered enough for next week’s Rebirth first issues.

Harley Quinn madness for back issues. I didn’t think they could get any hotter but then the news that Harley Quinn will not only be in the Suicide Squad but in her own solo film has made her even more popular.

DCU Rebirth #1 sold double the number of copies of the #2 best seller of the week.

Easiest hand sale ever, 80 pages $2.99

Six DC’s in the top ten for us this week, with Rebirth scoring more than twice as many copies sold as the second-place title. In fact, Rebirth saw more Day One sales than Star Wars #1 saw when it premiered, making it our highest-selling-first-day book of the 21st Century! Advance word about the wretchedness that is Captain America: Steve Rogers #1 led to mass defections on this issue: half of those who had asked that it be held for them declined to buy it, complaining uniformly that they won’t give money to a book that depicts Steve Rogers so badly. Score a BIG win for DC this week, while Marvel managed to alienate readers in a major way.

Huge interest in Golden Age and Silver Age DCs and in pre-hero Marvels this week!

I would guess that the #1 book all around was Rebirth #1 since it crushed it for two days straight. Scooby and Justice league for a nice Trinity though as they took the top spots all selling well past the century mark. Cap did well due to the hype given via the internet and actually made it in the century club along with Star Wars for Marvel.

Superman and Preacher were the back-issue movers for the week. I guess DC Comics just wanted to make it their week. Will be interesting to see what happens with the 52 back-issues considering I sold every Snyder #1 i had in the store. Safe bet that this will be a key for decades to come.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadpool isn't a word I equate to compelling or funny but it's your choice.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: Well neither do I honestly. That's why I figured I would ask if it was worth it.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15527  Edited By darthfury78

@spideyjj said:

@kiba: in fairness, it's the best current ongoing series for either character; interesting storyline, hilarious dynamics, great characterization and good art

Why can't Marvel produce a Spider-Man & Black Widow ongoing series as well since that would make for a fun series, as well as Spider-Man & The She-Hulk?

@knightwriteri said:

Regardless of there being no way Peter and Bobbi would meet under any pre vol 4 status quo and how little insight I have at present to judge such a ship Better an established character capable of holding their own title like Bobbi than Carlie Cooper 5.0 at the same time better Peter not be in a relationship than be in one with anyone other than his two strongest love interest MJ or Felicia, Better Peter be married to MJ than that and better he be a married father than part of a childless marriage.

Years ago I could get excited about something like that but we all know it won't last no relationship between now and the return of the marriage will endure so even if I liked them together why should I care?

When I heard there was going to be a love triangle at the start of the relaunch I knew she'd be part of it the decision only makes sense as she has a new series and in today's uncertain market if you're a female solo star and you're names not May "Mayday" Parker dating a popular male hero is one of the most reliable tactics in delaying cancellation hence why the Peter/Carol ship started just months before that Ms. Marvel vol was cancelled if Slott hadn't vetoed it Wacker would have given the title more time. Though granted 50 is about as respectable a run a Marvel female can get if you ignore the 100 issues of Spider-Girl vol 1. This is for a brief sales boost for the other titles she appears in nothing more.

Bobbi would make for an interesting partner for Peter; especially if they get to work on a science project together. Although, it might had been better if we had see Jessica Drew, The Black Widow, Jennifer Walters(in her human form), or Greer Grant..

I do not think that Bobbi's ex-husband Hawkeye, is going to take the news very well. LOL

It's funny that Bobbi and Spider-Man worked together in Marvel Team-Up once, while The Black Widow and Tigra worked with him three times. Yet, Slott once told me that having Tigra in Spider-Man's world was a left field idea, as well as the fact that Jennifer Walters and Peter Parker have zero chemistry working together, which is not true at all. When it comes to relationships, they should be used to open the doors towards stories that has not been told yet.

As for Venom, I hate that stupid hanging out tongue of his, which has not function at all. I wish that Erik Larson never created in the first place as his initial appearance by McFarlane was quite sinister because the reader did not know what to expect.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyjj said:

@kiba: in fairness, it's the best current ongoing series for either character; interesting storyline, hilarious dynamics, great characterization and good art

Why can't Marvel produce a Spider-Man & Black Widow ongoing series as well since that would make for a fun series, as well as Spider-Man & The She-Hulk?

@knightwriteri said:

Regardless of there being no way Peter and Bobbi would meet under any pre vol 4 status quo and how little insight I have at present to judge such a ship Better an established character capable of holding their own title like Bobbi than Carlie Cooper 5.0 at the same time better Peter not be in a relationship than be in one with anyone other than his two strongest love interest MJ or Felicia, Better Peter be married to MJ than that and better he be a married father than part of a childless marriage.

Years ago I could get excited about something like that but we all know it won't last no relationship between now and the return of the marriage will endure so even if I liked them together why should I care?

When I heard there was going to be a love triangle at the start of the relaunch I knew she'd be part of it the decision only makes sense as she has a new series and in today's uncertain market if you're a female solo star and you're names not May "Mayday" Parker dating a popular male hero is one of the most reliable tactics in delaying cancellation hence why the Peter/Carol ship started just months before that Ms. Marvel vol was cancelled if Slott hadn't vetoed it Wacker would have given the title more time. Though granted 50 is about as respectable a run a Marvel female can get if you ignore the 100 issues of Spider-Girl vol 1. This is for a brief sales boost for the other titles she appears in nothing more.

Bobbi would make for an interesting partner for Peter; especially if they get to work on a science project together. Although, it might had been better if we had see Jessica Drew, The Black Widow, Jennifer Walters(in her human form), or Greer Grant..

I do not think that Bobbi's ex-husband Hawkeye, is going to take the news very well. LOL

It's funny that Bobbi and Spider-Man worked together in Marvel Team-Up once, while The Black Widow and Tigra worked with him three times. Yet, Slott once told me that having Tigra in Spider-Man's world was a left field idea, as well as the fact that Jennifer Walters and Peter Parker have zero chemistry working together, which is not true at all. When it comes to relationships, they should be used to open the doors towards stories that has not been told yet.

As for Venom, I hate that stupid hanging out tongue of his, which has not function at all. I wish that Erik Larson never created in the first place as his initial appearance by McFarlane was quite sinister because the reader did not know what to expect.

Because Deadpool is hotter than even Spider-Man now, he's like the Spidey Spidey used to be plus guns and swords. And Peter is getting more and more unpopular thanks to Miles and Gwen.

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthfury78 said:
    @spideyjj said:

@knightwriteri said:

Because Deadpool is hotter than even Spider-Man now, he's like the Spidey Spidey used to be plus guns and swords. And Peter is getting more and more unpopular thanks to Miles and Gwen.

I meant why can't Marvel produce a Spider-Man and Black Widow/or She-Hulk team-up series whereby Jennifer and Natasha knows that Spider-Man is Peter Parker. It sucks that we have not seen a team-up series with Spider-Man working alongside The Black Widow or She-Hulk in years. I would love to see The Black Widow and Spider-Man working together, as well as seeing Jennifer Walters(human form) and Peter Parker working together on a patent case with Parker Industires...

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I meant why can't Marvel produce a Spider-Man and Black Widow/or She-Hulk team-up series whereby Jennifer and Natasha knows that Spider-Man is Peter Parker. It sucks that we have not seen a team-up series with Spider-Man working alongside The Black Widow or She-Hulk in years. I would love to see The Black Widow and Spider-Man working together, as well as seeing Jennifer Walters(human form) and Peter Parker working together on a patent case with Parker Industires...

While it wasn't a series, the most recent team-up with Natasha, unfortunately not alone, along with the rest of the Avengers, was called Avengers - Millennium, where Peter and Natasha had to disguise themselves as Geishas in order to infiltrate a World War 2 Japanese army base.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter: "While it wasn't a series, the most recent team-up with Natasha, unfortunately not alone, along with the rest of the Avengers, was called Avengers - Millennium, where Peter and Natasha had to disguise themselves as Geishas in order to infiltrate a World War 2 Japanese army base."

That was a thing?! Ugh. That's so bad I have no words.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15532  Edited By animehunter

While it wasn't a series, the most recent team-up with Natasha, unfortunately not alone, along with the rest of the Avengers, was called Avengers - Millennium, where Peter and Natasha had to disguise themselves as Geishas in order to infiltrate a World War 2 Japanese army base.

===

Civil War II - June 1st 2016 Preview

STORY BY Brian Michael Bendis
    ART BY David Marquez
    COVER BYMarko Djurdjevic, David Marquez, Steve McNiven, Michael Cho , Terry Dodson , Rafael Albuquerque, Phil Noto , Kim Jung Gi , Chris Sprouse , Manuel Garcia , Yasmine Putri

IT’S HERE!

The explosive first chapter in the comic event EVERYONE will be talking about. And we come out swinging with a blistering double-sized first issue from the creative team behind last year’s best-selling debut of INVINCIBLE IRON MAN and Miles Morales. A new Inhuman, with the ability to profile the future, emerges and the ramifications ripple into every corner of the Marvel Universe. Lines are drawn, bodies fall, and the Marvel Universe will be rocked to it’s very core. The action starts here!

56 PGS./Rated T+ …$5.99 (MAR160703)

NEWSARAMA - Before the solicited schism of Marvel heroes, they stand united against a Celestial

-

@zariusii

@blackspidey2099

@riscrit aka Spideyryan

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Newsarama

Marvel NOW! ... and Again: ‘This is the World We Live In’

Last week, Marvel Comics announced a new iteration of "Marvel NOW!" spinning out of Civil War II. While it is unconfirmed how extensive this relauch will be, this new linewide umbrella status quo shift does feed into what Marvel calls its "seasonal" model, in which new publishing initiatives are launched on an almost annual basis, leading to large-scale relaunches of various titles.

Marvel Executive Editor Tom Brevoort says that this model is a product of current market, saying that the relaunches - which date back to 2010's "Heroic Age" in the wake of Siege - are a tool to draw in new readers, and to keep Marvel's titles fresh.

"It's not a stunt," Brevoort told Newsarama. "It’s a recognition of the fact that this is the world we live in now, because the demands on readers’ times and dollars are what they are. I’m convinced – utterly convinced – that virtually every comic book reader cannot afford to buy all the comics they’d like to be buying and reading. There are too many good books out there, across all publishers. The average fan just can’t afford everything. What that means is, readers are far more cutthroat these days than they might have been back in the day, in terms of axing any particular title from their pull list, if only because there are so many other delicious looking pieces of candy on the shelf that they might want to sample."

In response to this level of selectiveness from fans, Brevoort says Marvel has recognized its titles need to operate at a high level at all times.

"What that means is, every book has to be working at peak performance level every single issue without fail, otherwise you’re put adrift. And even if you do everything right, to the best of your ability, if it’s not the right time, or the right story, or the right character, you can still lose readers. We’ve seen it time and time again that the stuff that sells the best, that people aggregate onto, is stuff that’s just starting. It’s an absolute rarity – not an impossibility, but a rarity – that a book starts out and its numbers grow over time."

"That’s neither condemning or supporting that trend, it’s just a recognition of fact," Brevoort continued. "The audience is much more cut throat in being ready to drop a book if it’s not doing it for them. That being the case, creative teams tend to burn through their material more quickly. There’s not a lot of patience for downtime issues, or a slow build anymore. You can have your great master plan where you slowly set your dominos and then in year two, you’re gonna wow everybody, but your book is gonna be dead in six issues, well before you get to that. People just don’t have the patience to wait a year and a half to get to the good stuff. You have to get to the good stuff immediately. And you have to all be good stuff. Every issue has to be giving readers what they want, or they start to move onto other stories."

Brevoort explained that Marvel's relaunches are timed to coincide with major events on purpose, calling them a way to "refresh and revitalize" titles and stories.

"One of the things a big event story is judged on, rightly or wrongly, is what kind of an impact it has on the Marvel Universe in its aftermath. That just becomes a condition of these big event stories: what is it at the end that changes the landscape?"

Still, it's inevitable that audiences grow more and more skeptical with every "stunning status quo change," though Brevoort believes Marvel's model is working. And, when its returns diminish, he says they'll "return to the old way, or find yet another new way to do things."

"As long as we have a shift, we can do it infinitely. We can’t always do it with the same level of success; some decisions and some storytelling choices are gonna be better received than others. But them’s the rules of the game. That’s the outcome whether you relaunch or not. Every story we tell, some people will like and some people won’t like. Depending on the numbers that come up in either column, it’s either a success or a failure."

And though Brevoort couldn't be specific about the terms of the new iteration of "Marvel NOW!," he did indicate that this relaunch and rebranding would not be as significant as the last relaunch, "All-New, All-Different Marvel," which spun out ofSecret Wars and saw every title in Marvel's line restarted with a new #1.

"Not every creator is changing on every title, not every book is completely shifting. But enough of them are that there’s another iteration of 'Marvel NOW!' happening. I don’t know that it should come as too much of a shock or a surprise given how the last couple years have been heading in that direction."

-

@zariusii

@blackspidey2099

@riscrit aka Spideyryan

Avatar image for deactivated-59848080e4380
    deactivated-59848080e4380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

While it wasn't a series, the most recent team-up with Natasha, unfortunately not alone, along with the rest of the Avengers, was called Avengers - Millennium, where Peter and Natasha had to disguise themselves as Geishas in order to infiltrate a World War 2 Japanese army base."

That was a thing?! Ugh. That's so bad I have no words.

I don't see what's so bad about it. Sure, it wasn't spectacular or anything, but I thought the mini-series was decent enough. Spidey's bantering with Hawkeye (and occasionally Black Widow) was the highlight of the series.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#

#

#

#

From Newsarama

Marvel NOW! ... and Again: ‘This is the World We Live In’

Last week, Marvel Comics announced a new iteration of "Marvel NOW!" spinning out of Civil War II. While it is unconfirmed how extensive this relauch will be, this new linewide umbrella status quo shift does feed into what Marvel calls its "seasonal" model, in which new publishing initiatives are launched on an almost annual basis, leading to large-scale relaunches of various titles.

Marvel Executive Editor Tom Brevoort says that this model is a product of current market, saying that the relaunches - which date back to 2010's "Heroic Age" in the wake of Siege - are a tool to draw in new readers, and to keep Marvel's titles fresh.

"It's not a stunt," Brevoort told Newsarama. "It’s a recognition of the fact that this is the world we live in now, because the demands on readers’ times and dollars are what they are. I’m convinced – utterly convinced – that virtually every comic book reader cannot afford to buy all the comics they’d like to be buying and reading. There are too many good books out there, across all publishers. The average fan just can’t afford everything. What that means is, readers are far more cutthroat these days than they might have been back in the day, in terms of axing any particular title from their pull list, if only because there are so many other delicious looking pieces of candy on the shelf that they might want to sample."

In response to this level of selectiveness from fans, Brevoort says Marvel has recognized its titles need to operate at a high level at all times.

"What that means is, every book has to be working at peak performance level every single issue without fail, otherwise you’re put adrift. And even if you do everything right, to the best of your ability, if it’s not the right time, or the right story, or the right character, you can still lose readers. We’ve seen it time and time again that the stuff that sells the best, that people aggregate onto, is stuff that’s just starting.It’s an absolute rarity – not an impossibility, but a rarity – that a book starts out and its numbers grow over time."

"That’s neither condemning or supporting that trend, it’s just a recognition of fact," Brevoort continued. "The audience is much more cut throat in being ready to drop a book if it’s not doing it for them. That being the case, creative teams tend to burn through their material more quickly. There’s not a lot of patience for downtime issues, or a slow build anymore. You can have your great master plan where you slowly set your dominos and then in year two, you’re gonna wow everybody, but your book is gonna be dead in six issues, well before you get to that. People just don’t have the patience to wait a year and a half to get to the good stuff. You have to get to the good stuff immediately. And you have to all be good stuff. Every issue has to be giving readers what they want, or they start to move onto other stories."

Brevoort explained that Marvel's relaunches are timed to coincide with major events on purpose, calling them a way to "refresh and revitalize" titles and stories.

"One of the things a big event story is judged on, rightly or wrongly, is what kind of an impact it has on the Marvel Universe in its aftermath. That just becomes a condition of these big event stories: what is it at the end that changes the landscape?"

Still, it's inevitable that audiences grow more and more skeptical with every "stunning status quo change," though Brevoort believes Marvel's model is working. And, when its returns diminish, he says they'll "return to the old way, or find yet another new way to do things."

"As long as we have a shift, we can do it infinitely. We can’t always do it with the same level of success; some decisions and some storytelling choices are gonna be better received than others. But them’s the rules of the game. That’s the outcome whether you relaunch or not. Every story we tell, some people will like and some people won’t like. Depending on the numbers that come up in either column, it’s either a success or a failure."

And though Brevoort couldn't be specific about the terms of the new iteration of "Marvel NOW!," he did indicate that this relaunch and rebranding would not be as significant as the last relaunch, "All-New, All-Different Marvel," which spun out ofSecret Wars and saw every title in Marvel's line restarted with a new #1.

"Not every creator is changing on every title, not every book is completely shifting. But enough of them are that there’s another iteration of 'Marvel NOW!' happening. I don’t know that it should come as too much of a shock or a surprise given how the last couple years have been heading in that direction."

-

@zariusii

@blackspidey2099

@riscrit aka Spideyryan

This is why the business model for Marvel's print division is full of BS rhetoric. A good story is a good story whether it's issue #1 or issue #759.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I just read it... Urgh.

I did miss Marquez art a lot, tho. Real eye candy.

That little burn Peter gave Stark worries me a bit tho. So I'm assuming they are at best still just pretty casual with each other. And now they will be on opposite sides in a war where Tony's BFF has died. Aaah, this young nerd dreams of they being bros again are being crushed... :c

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amazingfantasy

@animehunter

Seems MJ is reconnecting with everyone again in today's ASM, meeting up even with Betty and is keen to find Flash, only to be told he's "dropped off the face of the Earth" (hur-hur), Betty compliments her on working for Stark, which MJ tries to play down. We see she has a difficult time with Friday over in Invincible Iron Man.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I just read ASM13...

Stark keeps teasing Peter on purpose or not, then eventually Peter just loses patience and starts a fight. It's not really a serious one, as Miles himself put it, they were acting like children.

Regent sees the fight and gets annoyed so he goes to where they are. He beats the crap out of poor Miles (BENDIS IS INTERNALLY SCREAMING), not only that but takes him to his base to take his powers, apparently. Peter and
    Tony go after him but they were too late. However, at least that seems to make them act like adults again.

MJ appears briefly and hangs out with Harry and Betty. They find out who Regent is, and at the end of the issue Betty confronts him about it.

Gotta say I expected all of this, but hoping it wasn't true. Power Play has really disappointed me so far. *sigh*

edit: Ah Zarius already posted it. Lol I don't know what is going here that It's taking me quite long to be able to post on this specific topic. Had to restart the PC.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15540  Edited By ZariusII

I suspect @blackspidey2099will be very happy with that spoiler, rofl

Yeah, this issue was a hot mess, the covers for these are better than the woeful art and writing you actually wind up with

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hehe, this line tho

No Caption Provided
    kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"BENDIS IS INTERNALLY SCREAMING"

Lol I doubt it's internal.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: "Well, it worked for DC Rebirth…."

DC retconing a reboot is more of a restoration and a much needed one IMO. This is more Captain Hydra bs I think. I wonder how long it'll take marvel to do their own "rebirth" that fixes this stuff.

Anyway thanks for tagging me!

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15545  Edited By animehunter
    amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

"BENDIS IS INTERNALLY SCREAMING"

Lol I doubt it's internal.

Hah, yes. And Miles wasn't simply defeated, he got quite a brutal beating. Bendis' vengeance shall be evil... LOL

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15547  Edited By kcomicfan

Amazing Spider-Man issue #13 is great.

This issue also confirms that Tony Stark is smarter than Peter.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15548  Edited By ZariusII

@kcomicfan said:

Who is'nt these days?

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:
    @kcomicfan said:

Who is'nt these days?

Quite a lot of people, actually. Peter is still one of the smartest people in the Marvel universe.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15550  Edited By knightwriteri

Peter's intelligence exceeds all Marvel characters with the exception of Reed Richards. Reed himself said Peter would be at his level if his responsibilities as Spider-Man hadn't reduced the time he could devote to study.

With the resources of Parker Industries he could run circles around Tony, Doom or Ock (well he's kind of been outsmarting Ock since he was 15) but alas he's written by Slott so we have to deal with him being written as the Daffy Duck to Tony's Bugs Bunny.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.