Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Red and Blue or Red and Black?

• 52 results
    Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

Spider-Man's original costume was black where it's usually portrayed as blue now. Could this be the reason Miles Morales' costume is red and black? Which do you like better, the original red and black or the classic red and blue?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

It was never black...just extremely dark blue....I'm pretty sure

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@cattlebattle said:

I've seen the original comics, it was BLACK, like blending perfectly with the shadows black.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@cattlebattle said:

I've seen the original comics, it was BLACK, like blending perfectly with the shadows black.

I don't know I am quasi color blind....but I always thought it was dark blue, then made lighter as years went on....maybe someone else can enlighten
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@cattlebattle: Still, if Marvel decided to make the blue on his costume black, would you care? Like is that was the ONLY change they made?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@cattlebattle: Still, if Marvel decided to make the blue on his costume black, would you care? Like is that was the ONLY change they made?

I like the blue...the darker blue actually, It is a lot more logical for him to wear black though
    the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By the_tree

@cattlebattle said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@cattlebattle said:

I don't know I am quasi color blind....but I always thought it was dark blue, then made lighter as years went on....maybe someone else can enlighten

It's a very dark blue.

No Caption Provided

Red & Blue is the Spider-Man suit. I can take temporary variations to the costume, but you can't stop a classic.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@cattlebattle: I would actually welcome it, because 1: It looks so cool! And 2: It makes him look more like a spider since there are no red and blue spiders. Sure that's not much of a reason, since Wolverine wears yellow and blue and Wolverine's are yellow and blue, but it'd still look great!! In fact, I have a feeling that if the reboot didn't have so much criticism to begin with the suit might have been red and black to distance itself from the first trilogy. I don't know that, but it does make sense.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@The_Tree said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@cattlebattle said:

It's a very dark blue.

No Caption Provided

Red & Blue is the Spider-Man suit. I can take temporary variations to the costume, but you can't stop a classic.

I've seen versions of this scene where it was black. Look, I'm just saying there has to be a reason why both the Alex Ross and new Ultimate versions of the costume are red and black. You could argue it's because that's what the artist wanted, but I think that when there are scenes where he's hiding in the shadows, the suit is blending in perfectly aside from the red, and when he's in the light it's black then it was originally black.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_tree

@Smart_Dork_Dude: By Alex Ross, are you talking about the concept he created for the Raimi Spider-Man film that never ended up being used?

No Caption Provided
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@The_Tree: Yes I am. Look I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong on that particular matter, but I also posed a question as to which is better? I like the classic costume, but if they change the blue parts to black I wouldn't mind, I'd probably be excited for it.

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Duke_Nasty

The original was red and dark blue and its the best, although the black symbiote suit was great too.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By danhimself

@The_Tree said:

@cattlebattle said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@cattlebattle said:

It's a very dark blue.

No Caption Provided

those blue areas are actually highlights....this is the same problem that happened with the original X-men costumes...colorists back in the day used blue to highlight black areas on a costume and it was misinterpreted and eventually the black areas were changed to blue...so Spider-man's costume ended up being red and blue and the X-men ended up being yellow and blue

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@danhimself: Exactly!!! To give Spider-Man a more sinister, dangerous look: Spider-man's original costume was actually red and black. The red and black color scheme for Spider-Man's costume was in keeping with the spider motif: dangerous and sinister, almost appearing villainous. This is why the eyes of Spider-Man's mask are so sinister looking. The perfect counter-balance to Peter Parker's good natured bookworm personality, and giving him a sleek, daring, edgy, look to frighten criminals while freeing him of his usual timid self and allowing him to openly mock whoever he's fighting.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By _Zombie_

Red and black looks alright, but the classic can't be beaten. Especially with Spidey.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@ZombieBigfoot: But the red and black is the classic! The red and BLUE was just a mistake on the artists part. They used blue to highlight the black, but when new artists came on they thought it was blue so they made it blue instead of black! Just look at some pictures of Venom, who we know is supposed to have a black costume. For a good portion of the 90's he was colored BLUE instead of black!!

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By the_tree

Either way, blue and red still can't be beaten, and it's my personal favorite.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SandMan_

Scan

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Duke_Nasty

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@ZombieBigfoot: But the red and black is the classic! The red and BLUE was just a mistake on the artists part. They used blue to highlight the black, but when new artists came on they thought it was blue so they made it blue instead of black! Just look at some pictures of Venom, who we know is supposed to have a black costume. For a good portion of the 90's he was colored BLUE instead of black!!

If it was originally black, it changed in the mid-late 60's. Venom's costume is black because the symbiote is.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Gambit1024

@The_Tree said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude: By Alex Ross, are you talking about the concept he created for the Raimi Spider-Man film that never ended up being used?

No Caption Provided

I love this costume. Give it a few tweaks and I really wouldn't mind this being Spidey's new look.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@Duke_Nasty: I'm well aware of that, but my point is that Spider-Man's costume was originally supposed to be red and black. I brought up Venom because he's a perfect recent example of black becoming blue. Sure he changed back, but Spidey never did.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@Gambit1024 said:

@The_Tree said:

No Caption Provided

I love this costume. Give it a few tweaks and I really wouldn't mind this being Spidey's new look.

Tweaks such as?

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By r3d_rob1n

If they were ever going to switch back to a darker color scheme the symbiote suit is best. I suppose that the suit worn by Miles in the Ultimate Universe is okay, but I prefer the red/blue simply because Peter is usually such a carefree and witty hero. It makes more sense for him to be brightly colored than done up all dark and brooding like Batman

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By the_tree

@Gambit1024 said:

@The_Tree said:

No Caption Provided

I actually would've preferred they gave a look like this to Kaine for his Scarlet Spider getup, I think his current costume kind of sucks.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@r3d_rob1n said:

If they were ever going to switch back to a darker color scheme the symbiote suit is best. I suppose that the suit worn by Miles in the Ultimate Universe is okay, but I prefer the red/blue simply because Peter is usually such a carefree and witty hero. It makes more sense for him to be brightly colored than done up all dark and brooding like Batman

He was goofy and funny in the black. Just because someone wears black, doesn't mean they're all brooding or anything. He already has black in his costume, so what's the big deal?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gambit1024

@Smart_Dork_Dude: Smaller spider, more red, no Black Widow bracelets, etc.

@The_Tree: Scarlet Spider's or Spider-Man's?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By the_tree

@Gambit1024: I said the words "Kaine" and "Scarlet Spider" didn't I? ;P

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By r3d_rob1n

@Smart_Dork_Dude: I know that they can still be goofy and funny, but sometimes it's better to add a little color in the world. Also, the black on his current costume is just simulated weblines and a small spider, not exactly an overbearing amount of black.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gambit1024

@The_Tree: Just wanted to make sure, lol. Eh, I never really cared about Scarlet Spider, so he could wear whatever he wants.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By r3d_rob1n
    No Caption Provided

It looks pretty blue to me, and thats the cover for his first appearance

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By the_tree

@Gambit1024: I'm loving Kaine right now. But Alex Ross' design stomps the crap out of this:

No Caption Provided
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@r3d_rob1n said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude: I know that they can still be goofy and funny, but sometimes it's better to add a little color in the world. Also, the black on his current costume is just simulated weblines and a small spider, not exactly an overbearing amount of black.

I honestly think Spidey would look a lot cooler if he went back to the original red and black. The only real thing that would change is the color, the rest of the costume would be identical to the red and blue version. Don't get me wrong, I like the red and blue, I grew up with the red and blue, I'm just spreading a bit of trivia about ol' Web Head and giving some speculation about Miles Morales' costume.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33  Edited By Deranged Midget

Red and Blue. Can never beat the classic look.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gambit1024

@The_Tree said:

@Gambit1024: I'm loving Kaine right now. But Alex Ross' design stomps the crap out of this:

No Caption Provided

His designs always do. Kingdom Come Wonder Woman, Flash, and Bucky's Cap costume are some of my favorite designs from him.

Still, that Kaine costume isn't so bad. Not great, but not bad either.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By the_tree

@Gambit1024 said:

@The_Tree said:

No Caption Provided

His designs always do. Kingdom Come Wonder Woman, Flash, and Bucky's Cap costume are some of my favorite designs from him.

Yes, he always does, Kingdom Come Alan Scott is by far my favorite design he's done, it's so badass. I think the only thing I don't like about Kaine's costume is that it lacks an even color distribution, like something black should be towards the middle to lower half of his body. It could probably be solved by a belt and/or some black boots.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gambit1024

@The_Tree said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@The_Tree said:

No Caption Provided

Yes, he always does, Kingdom Come Alan Scott is by far my favorite design he's done, it's so badass. I think the only thing I don't like about Kaine's costume is that it lacks an even color distribution, like something black should be towards the middle to lower half of his body. It could probably be solved by a belt and/or some black boots.

It needs more black and I think it might look cooler with webs.

joshmeyers67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original costume from Spider-Man's first appearance in The Amazing Fantasy#15 was red and black. The blue were highlights to give the character more depth. So like what was said earlier, even though I'm years late to respond to this, the red and black is the Classic costume, the original, not the red and blue. Either way, regardless of the original color or the traditional color, Spidey is Spidey so it doesn't matter to me!

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd like the costume to stay red and blue.

If there was to be a permanent change, I'd like it to completely distance itself from the classic - like 2099, Symbiote, Ends of the Earth, Superior Mark II, or one of the other alt. costumes he's worn over the decades.

Avatar image for sensationalspiderman
    SensationalSpiderMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I suck at Photoshop but this is a rough idea of how 'Red&Black' would look in the modern comics. I prefer Red&Blue because we all have been seeing it for years. Its iconic. But Red&Black is pretty badass too.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sensationalspiderman:

I agree! The black looks badass.

But it would always present a problem in more darker scenarios. Maybe that's why red and blue, was chosen instead of red and black, seeing that there's no blue spiders.

Flip_Cruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super thread necromancy but I couldn't NOT reply. As was stated, artists were using blue to highlight the blacks, which is precisely the case in point here, sure you can say, "Sure looks blue to me!"

No Caption Provided

But I mean come on, is Venom now blue too?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Spidey's original costume was res and blue. Lee and Ditko intended for it to be red and black originally but there was a printing error but it worked so they decided to just go with it.

In the 80's well into the 2000's artists used blue to highlight the black suit (ultimate spider-man used purple instead)

Nowadays he alternates between red and blue and red and black.

I love the red and blue classics but Red and black would've been better

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The original suit was Navy blue not black. but I prefer the red and blue

ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black and Purple

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#45  Edited By Teerack

@smart_dork_dude: The ink used was a toner for blue. It maybe look black because its dark and old and printing was shitty but it is a fact they used blue ink and he is meant to be in blue and red. Most of the images that look black are do to the fact the scanners had really high levels of exposure looking at them in your hands is a completely different experience. There really aren't any images of classic spider-man comics scanned on a modern scanner from the past five years most of them come from around 2005-8ish(or earlier) when the scanners that had the good lasers were still insanely expensive. I've worked with lots of scanners and done lots of printing.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

depends on my mood , superior or AWESOME (2099)

MCUDCEUFan217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MCUDCEUFan217

@teerack: Nah, I don’t think that’s how that works.

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Combo-Man

Erik Larsen is the only guy who portrayed Spidey's classic costume as black where it's usually blue, back in the 90s. and it looked good, but it was Larsen's signature I don't think other artists should imitate it. so really blue is better.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Puny_Banner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@combo-man: Larsen usually drew Spider-Man with very dark blue. It only rarely would appear as pure black in issue #340 and #341. It was possibly a mistake on the colorist's part.

No Caption Provided

FantasyConnect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, this is exactly why I love superior mk I, instant classic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.