Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Question for "Superior" fans

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Why is it that Bruce Wayne's no kill code makes perfect sense and is a key part of his character but Peter Parker not killing people seems to make him inferior to Ock in your eyes?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Strider1992

Why is it that Bruce Wayne's no kill code makes perfect sense and is a key part of his character but Peter Parker not killing people seems to make him inferior to Ock in your eyes?

Yes because it makes perfect sense for him to keep putting Joker away all the time because he refuses to kill due to the fact his parents were mudered. Although everytime the Joker gets out he then proceeds to murder a ton of people who most likely have children and causes the exact same thing that happened to him to another generation of children despite the fact his no kill code is based on the fact he doesn't want more kids to end up like him but by not finishing off the Joker he is effectively causing more misery then if he just finished the guy off.

Anyways back to the question. I don't think it makes him inferior per-say but SpOck's way of getting things done is obviously more effective.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: I'm not asking whether the no kill code is good or bad I just wonder why people flip out if Batman kills but when they actually replace Spider-man with an actual murderer everyone just expects us to be cool with it.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think most the real Spider-Man fans aren't to happy with the change. I'm sure 20 years ago there were people that argued that Azrael was a better Batman then Bruce as well. It's kindof the same thing, only that story was better written.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By joshmightbe
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I just wonder why people flip out if Batman kills but when they actually replace Spider-man with an actual murderer everyone just expects us to be cool with it.

Because it isn't actually Peter Parker doing it.

Yes, if Peter Benjamin Parker actually took up killing it would be stupid and wrong for varied reasons. But it isn't him.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@joshmightbe said:

I just wonder why people flip out if Batman kills but when they actually replace Spider-man with an actual murderer everyone just expects us to be cool with it.

Because it isn't actually Peter Parker doing it.

Yes, if Peter Benjamin Parker actually took up killing it would be stupid and wrong for varied reasons. But it isn't him.

This.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By consolemaster001

He was never inferior.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: I'm not asking whether the no kill code is good or bad I just wonder why people flip out if Batman kills but when they actually replace Spider-man with an actual murderer everyone just expects us to be cool with it.

I don't think they expect us to be cool with it, I think he wants to get a shocking rise out of everyone. I mean slott replaced spider man with ock, I don't think he intended anyone to be fine with it, but it peaks their interest

Avatar image for thebrownpowerranger
    TheBrownPowerRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you named your thread wrong. superior spiderman and fans are two words that don't go together

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Hazlenaut

It is deeper than most of you bother to think which you should. This is a villain that is trying to show that he is better being the hero then the hero. The concept of his character will be conflicted that if can do what the hero does and he can learn from the hero’s path. This is one of those challenges that Octspidey will face and the consequences along with it.

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

It is deeper than most of you bother to think which you should. This is a villain that is trying to show that he is better being the hero then the hero. The concept of his character will be conflicted that if can do what the hero does and he can learn from the hero’s path. This is one of those challenges that Octspidey will face and the consequences along with it.

I liked that story a lot better when it was called "Kraven's Last Hunt."

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#14  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt  Online

Peter was never inferior. he did sh*t the right way, not the easy way. he was a real hero, not an ingrown psycho with a complex trying to play the hero

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Peter was never inferior. he did sh*t the right way, not the easy way. he was a real hero, not an ingrown psycho with a complex trying to play the hero

Ok lets see. I'm going to kill you. Take over your body. Take over your life and the relationships within it. Yay I'm a total hero.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

Ok lets see. I'm going to kill you. Take over your body. Take over your life and the relationships within it. Yay I'm a total hero.

i think you might've misread my statement. i was complimenting Peter and sh*tting on Otto.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@dernman said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

i think you might've misread my statement. i was complimenting Peter and sh*tting on Otto.

I know. I was just agreeing with you,

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@dernman said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

I know. I was just agreeing with you,

ahh, gotcha

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xblah_blahx

This!

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes because it makes perfect sense for him to keep putting Joker away all the time because he refuses to kill due to the fact his parents were mudered. Although everytime the Joker gets out he then proceeds to murder a ton of people who most likely have children and causes the exact same thing that happened to him to another generation of children despite the fact his no kill code is based on the fact he doesn't want more kids to end up like him but by not finishing off the Joker he is effectively causing more misery then if he just finished the guy off.

Anyways back to the question. I don't think it makes him inferior per-say but SpOck's way of getting things done is obviously more effective.

This.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

@moonchilde: True, but there is a difference Kraven feels he had one obstacle in his life that he has yet to overcome. Oct feels that spidey wasted his powers and thinks he can do a better job. Yes, most of it is going to bite him since he will likely get Spidey’s bad luck along with karma. This isn’t one battle Oct is now living Spidey and Peter’s life. I wonder how he would react from learning One More Day or the Clones.

p3t3r133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By p3t3r133

The only person who ever refers to him as Superior Spider Man is Otto, so in his own psycho mind hes superior. Hes definitely more effective, but is more effective the same as superior?. And as to being a 'fan' of superior spider man, I dont think anyone who likes expects it to last forever. I like it, but part of it is that I know that eventually it will be back with Peter in charge.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea that was real deep when Kraven did it in the 80s

gridde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gridde
    @w0nd said:

@joshmightbe said:

I don't think they expect us to be cool with it, I think he wants to get a shocking rise out of everyone. I mean slott replaced spider man with ock, I don't think he intended anyone to be fine with it, but it peaks their interest

Remember how the solicitations for SSM#9 promised the issue would make fans "angrier than Amazing Spider-Man 7 did!"? Or the cover for SSM#2 that had SpOck forcing himself onto MJ? Or the cover with him holding a smoking gun? The series has been relying fairly heavily on shock value and controversy so far.

It's been a fun book though, so far. Slott's trolling of the Spidey fans is a little grating, but it's obviously part of a long-term storyline. There's no way Marvel signed-off on an ongoing series where 'murder your enemies' is seriously the moral being taught.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gridde: I agree with you about the moral lesson, even the Punisher admits he's not doing a good thing.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Delphic

@joshmightbe: It doesn't make Ock a better Spider-man, but it does make him a different kind of Spider-man. The only thing that makes Ock a "superior" spider-man is in the sense that he sees himself as Superior. Peter did have his problems though, and Ock has done a pretty good job of making the job of being Spider-man more efficient. Like the Spider-bots that have made his normal patrols much more efficient, and being able to balance what the police can handle versus when he has to get involved. Is he arrogant and brutal, absolutely. There has also been key aspects of Peter's actual life that he has been able to get in order that Peter has struggled with for years. Like ending the vicious cycle of love and despair with MJ. Getting Peter's education in order, which has been something Peter has always struggled with. Peter is a great guy, but he's never been that great about keeping his house in order. Spidey-Ock is good at it, but he takes it a little too far.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.