Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Petition to bring back Peter Parkers marriage to Mary Jane

• 92 results
    kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@kcomicfan:

I was a 7-12 year old reader back in 1974 when I started collecting comics, mainly Marvel of course.

ASM was one of the titles that I loved to back catalogue. I didn't care that they were older stories, I just simply loved the character, I loved the amazing stories and artwork.

The notion that a new reader can't relate to older stories is false.

I never said that a new reader can't relate to the older stories.From my experience Most new Fans of Spider-man want to read the newer stories because:

1.They might not have the attention span to read 50+ years of comics

2.Why would they want to Spend Money on The Older comic when they could be Buying the new comics.

My first experience with Spider-man was different from yours. I started to read spider-man in 2011 and for the first year I did not want to read the older storys, for the reasons I stated above.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramior: I have found this to be true

What we should petition for is having peter return to his rightful place as the main Spider-man.

Peter is still the main Spider-man. and he still will be in the ANAD Marvel

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@magnetic_eye said:

@kcomicfan:

I was a 7-12 year old reader back in 1974 when I started collecting comics, mainly Marvel of course.

ASM was one of the titles that I loved to back catalogue. I didn't care that they were older stories, I just simply loved the character, I loved the amazing stories and artwork.

The notion that a new reader can't relate to older stories is false.

I never said that a new reader can't relate to the older stories.From my experience Most new Fans of Spider-man want to read the newer stories because:

1.They might not have the attention span to read 50+ years of comics

2.Why would they want to Spend Money on The Older comic when they could be Buying the new comics.

My first experience with Spider-man was different from yours. I started to read spider-man in 2011 and for the first year I did not want to read the older storys, for the reasons I stated above.

To be fair I have seen many 7-12 year old kids that believe otherwise.

Why buy old comics? Some people think they are better.

The whole topic is subjective.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I occasionally work with kids, one is a big Spider-Man fan, he hates everything post-OMD. He's only 10. Before him I knew a couple of girls who are in their teens now who stopped reading after OMD and were peeved when Slott slaughtered Mayday's father in Spider-Verse because I had given them Spider-Girl books to read to cheer them up after they had read OMD.

gothamknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramior

@kcomicfan

What's this then :

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/21/8820173/miles-morales-spider-man-marvel-universe

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramior

@kcomicfan

What's this then :

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/21/8820173/miles-morales-spider-man-marvel-universe

That article was posted before the new Amazing Spider-man book was announced. Peter is still the main Spider-man.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

I occasionally work with kids, one is a big Spider-Man fan, he hates everything post-OMD. He's only 10. Before him I knew a couple of girls who are in their teens now who stopped reading after OMD and were peeved when Slott slaughtered Mayday's father in Spider-Verse because I had given them Spider-Girl books to read to cheer them up after they had read OMD.

Zarius, that's really interesting. I've been working as a government employed Youth Worker with Indigenous Australian High School students for the last five years. I'm working with approximately 70 kids per term and aside from some of the Media Production stuff I do, I have also introduced a comic book library.

Some will buy their own graphic novels, and a lot of them are into Batman, Deadpool, Green Lantern, Wolverine, Black Panther and various manga titles. I don't discourage kids from certain titles, unless they are totally inappropriate of course, but I have noticed that not one single kid likes post OMD Spider-Man. They're not even showing any interest in Miles Morales.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#58 vance_astro  Moderator

I hate this idea that characters like Mary Jane Watson or Gwen Stacy somehow matter without Spider-Man. They are supporting cast characters, nothing more nothing less. If Mary Jane isn't married to Peter Parker I don't really even want to see her. Her relationship with him is the only reason I cared about her. In a world filled with gods and mutants and vampires, super-soldiers, sorcerers etc. I don't have attention to waste on regular human characters or alternate universe characters given the powers of another hero.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By kiba
    Edstone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey and MJ are not going to happen anytime soon. I have faith in Dan Schlott, he's going to utilize Spidey's full potential, which consists of Parker's genious and Spidey's heart . Triumphs and feats, fighting thru the pain, overcoming every hurdle

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edstone1: no they probably won't be together anytime soon but fans of their marriage won't stop supporting it because we know Peter isn't having his full potential realized while they're apart. He needs her to overcome every hurdle, to mend his heart when it's broken and to support him as he triumphs. If you don't think they should be together then that's your opinion and you're welcome to it but a lot of us will never agree.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

@edstone1: no they probably won't be together anytime soon but fans of their marriage won't stop supporting it because we know Peter isn't having his full potential realized while they're apart. He needs her to overcome every hurdle, to mend his heart when it's broken and to support him as he triumphs. If you don't think they should be together then that's your opinion and you're welcome to it but a lot of us will never agree.

Very well put. Keep in mind Peter and MJ are still a thing in the newspaper comics, and we may see the Parkers from RYV again somewhere down the road. Indeed, they're supposedly going to be confirmed for the Spider-Man Unlimited game (and RYV Peter is already in Future Fight), I think Marvel still have a place for the marriage, and more so, that they have some kind of plan for it later, we just have to be patient

@edstone1 said:

I have faith in Dan Schlott, he's going to utilize Spidey's full potential, which consists of Parker's genious and Spidey's heart . Triumphs and feats, fighting thru the pain, overcoming every hurdle

The previews for the issue have Peter still quipping like an overgrown man-child in the midst of a dangerous situation. Dan's usual parlour tricks which have gotten very old by now.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm always iffy on marriages in comics,I personally hate Jessica Jones and Luke Cage's marriage,I find it boring and uninteresting and felt that it didn't help them develop at all,however,I think the complete opposite about Mj and Peter.Spider-Man never struck me as the kind to mess around with various women(though he probably has),I always felt he'd find one woman he loved and settle down with her.I think seeing him grow from a teenager,to a man,then husband and father,plus superhero would have been sweet.They could have just left Ultimate Spider-Man around for those who enjoy a young Peter Parker.But they killed him instead.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: I got to disagree on Luke and jessica. I mean I can understand where you come from here, there wasn't much build up as she's a recon character but Luke has been around for years and years never really doing anything other than hanging out. Now he's got a wife and kids, became an avenger and he's got a TV show in the works. I think everything they've done with him lately were great moves forward.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate this idea that characters like Mary Jane Watson or Gwen Stacy somehow matter without Spider-Man. They are supporting cast characters, nothing more nothing less. If Mary Jane isn't married to Peter Parker I don't really even want to see her. Her relationship with him is the only reason I cared about her. In a world filled with gods and mutants and vampires, super-soldiers, sorcerers etc. I don't have attention to waste on regular human characters or alternate universe characters given the powers of another hero.

I agree

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: @kcomicfan: you could say the same about Carol Danvers. Although I don't like her others seem to.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

@vance_astro: @kcomicfan: you could say the same about Carol Danvers. Although I don't like her others seem to.

Not really. Carol is a hero in her own right. She is not suppose to be a Love interest Like MJ and Gwen

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: no she was a love interest for the first captain marvel way back in the day. Then she became ms marvel which was akin to super girl. Now she evolved to what she is.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By kcomicfan

@kiba said:

@kcomicfan: no she was a love interest for the first captain marvel way back in the day. Then she became ms marvel which was akin to super girl. Now she evolved to what she is.

Vance_astro's original comment said that Love interests are nothing without there superhero partner, this does not apply to Carol because ,yes she was a love interest, but she has evolved past that. and she is still A Superhero which is more then what MJ is.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@kcomicfan said:
    @kiba said:

Vance_astro's original comment said that Love interests are nothing without there superhero partner, this does not apply to Carol because ,yes she was a love interest, but she has evolved past that. and she is still A Superhero which is more then what MJ is.

The biggest difference between Carol in comparison to Gwen & MJ is that the hero she was a love interest of isn't a major Marvel property. Spider-Man is Marvel's largest property. His marriage to MJ & Gwen's Death will always be bigger moments than anything they can do alone. Mar-Vell died. Carol is Captain Marvel now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im good. it will happen eventually in the mean time I will enjoy the stories and opportunity's each character has while they're apart.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 vance_astro  Moderator

I'm always iffy on marriages in comics,I personally hate Jessica Jones and Luke Cage's marriage,I find it boring and uninteresting and felt that it didn't help them develop at all,however,I think the complete opposite about Mj and Peter.Spider-Man never struck me as the kind to mess around with various women(though he probably has),I always felt he'd find one woman he loved and settle down with her.I think seeing him grow from a teenager,to a man,then husband and father,plus superhero would have been sweet.They could have just left Ultimate Spider-Man around for those who enjoy a young Peter Parker.But they killed him instead.

You have to remember though that Jessica had powers before she met Luke. They met in her own story. MJ was literally created FOR Peter. Although I agree that many relationships in comics aren't interesting I don't think they should be treated as a point of interest, all good marriages are boring. The interesting part is the characters themselves.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By amazingfantasy

@vance_astro said:

For some reason, in recent years peter supporting cast and/or villians tend to go to other books. *Sigh* The result wasn't good for the most part imo.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: yes I know what the original comment was and I say again Carol was nothing more than a love interest too. Why should she get to evolve but other characters don't?

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: that's actually a good point. Although I have no idea what Mar-vell was like before he died in terms of popularity or what carol looked like at the time. Don't get me wrong I'm not really for the changes to Gwen, well alternative universe Gwen though I'm not really against it either and definitely NOT for the changes to MJ. However I don't think there's a hard fast rule to say if works for some and not others.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

@kcomicfan: yes I know what the original comment was and I say again Carol was nothing more than a love interest too. Why should she get to evolve but other characters don't?

Was is the key word here. she is better the the regular human characters and regular love interests because she has superpowers so she can do more then just be a love interest. and that is why she can evolve and non-powered can't, she fights the villains so her life is interesting and is worthy to be put in a comic book.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 vance_astro  Moderator

@vance_astro said:

For some reason, in recent years peter supporting cast and/or villians tend to go to other books. *Sigh* The result wasn't good for the most part imo.

I think it's because he has a really good supporting cast but it's just lazy on the part of writers. I don't want to see Mary Jane in Iron Man, is Pepper dead or something?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 vance_astro  Moderator

@kiba said:

Carol's big moment wasn't marrying Mar-Vell or dying because he failed to save her, it was becoming Ms.Marvel.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: she didn't start with powers either but gained them during her evolution. She started out no different than MJ or lois lane. So far your whole argument seems to be you saying you can not imagine these characters in anyway other than what you have currently been exposed to. Let's just drop it.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: He truly has a great supporting cast, and it's lazy indeed. We're in agreement. It's not as simple as throwning great characters that work on Spider-Man stories on another book and bam, done.

And Pepper is not dead as far as I know. They're just doing that to get more sales, anyway.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By kiba

@vance_astro: you've already made your point and I've agreed it is a valid one.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 vance_astro  Moderator

@vance_astro: He truly has a great supporting cast, and it's lazy indeed. We're in agreement. It's not as simple as throwning great characters that work on Spider-Man stories on another book and bam, done.

And Pepper is not dead as far as I know. They're just doing that to get more sales, anyway.

Imagine that as a selling point for Iron Man lol. You want a reason to read Iron Man? Here's a reminder of One More Day!

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By kcomicfan

@kiba said:

@kcomicfan: she didn't start with powers either but gained them during her evolution. She started out no different than MJ or lois lane. So far your whole argument seems to be you saying you can not imagine these characters in anyway other than what you have currently been exposed to. Let's just drop it.

You are clearly missing my point then. the original posts point was, love interests are not needed after they stop dating the hero, and should not Keep focus in the book. you counterd with the point of Carol Danvers. And I countered your point with the fact that Carol is different from other love interests because she is a superhero,so the point of love interests lose there value after they are not needed does not apply to her because she has the opportunity to have her own book and fight villains. How is this so difficult to grasp?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: Well I find Luke and Jessica interesting,just not their marriage lol.I thought her chemistry was better with Ant-Man,and I felt Cage had better chemistry with She-Hulk.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba: I replied to you in a pm since I didn't wanna go too far off topic lol.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan: no I did not miss your point I just don't agree with your reasoning. Just as I haven't agreed on pretty much anything I've seen you post. I'm not sure why I thought it was a good idea to add you in a comment when clearly we don't see eye to eye, it won't happen again. I'm dropping this conversation because it's just not that important to me and I think we're just repeating ourselves at this point, I hope that's not too difficult to grasp.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't care much for alternate universe characters given the powers of long established heroes either. IMO, I think that it's important in a universe filled with demigods, mutants, vampires, super-soldiers, sorcerers and aliens, that your regular everyday human characters complete the balance of dynamic storytelling.

A universe of just supers running around would make it very boring for me, as well as not very empathetic or accessible.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

Was is the key word here. she is better the the regular human characters and regular love interests because she has superpowers so she can do more then just be a love interest. and that is why she can evolve and non-powered can't, she fights the villains so her life is interesting and is worthy to be put in a comic book.

So then, if you're a non super powered support character, you can't be an interesting character, because the support character is written as a love interest only?

But only super powered characters can fight villains, have interesting lives and be worthy to be put in a comic book?

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan said:
    @kiba said:

So then, if you're a non super powered support character, you can't be an interesting character, because the support character is written as a love interest only?

But only super powered characters can fight villains, have interesting lives and be worthy to be put in a comic book?

All the answers to your questions are in the text you quoted.

But when I say A non-superpowered character I am talking about support characters not superhero's with no powers.

And superhero's should be the focus of there books, not support characters

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye said:
    @kcomicfan said:
    @kiba said:

But when I say A non-superpowered character I am talking about support characters not superhero's with no powers.

All the answers to your questions are in the text you quoted. So your answer then to both my questions is "Yes"?

1. So then, if you're a non super powered support character, you can't be an interesting character, because the support character is written as a love interest only?

I disagree. Most support characters are not written as love interests only. An ensemble support cast brings dynamic and diverse storytelling to the page, making the focus on the super hero much more interesting. Jim Gordon, Alfred Pennyworth, Slam Bradley, Harvey Bullock, Montoya, Nancy Yip - (Batman & Detective Comics), Fat Man and Little Boy - (Sin City), Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, - (Superman), J. Jonah Jameson, Robbie Robertson, Ben & May Parker, Flash Thompson, Harry Osbourne, Jean DeWolf, Yuri Watanabe - (Spider-Man), Sharon Carter, Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Agent Coulson - (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D), Val Cooper - (X-Factor).

Anyway, you get the picture. I could be here all night putting in examples. A well written support character is an absolute must in any piece of writing, comic books or otherwise. They're not there to detract from the main protagonist i.e. (the super hero), but rather are there to enhance the story. Do you still think that support characters are limited and can only be represented as a love interest in comic books? Because there are dozens upon dozens of comic books that prove you wrong.

2. But only super powered characters can fight villains, have interesting lives and be worthy to be put in a comic book?

Again I wholeheartedly disagree. So you're saying that a support character has no business being in a comic book unless they're super powered? That's absurd. You do realize there are an overwhelming amount of comic book titles from Independent publishers that aren't about super heroes at all? I'm guessing you would find those books pretty boring and unworthy right?

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan said:
    @magnetic_eye said:
    @kcomicfan said:
    @kiba said:

All the answers to your questions are in the text you quoted. So your answer then to both my questions is "Yes"?

1. So then, if you're a non super powered support character, you can't be an interesting character, because the support character is written as a love interest only?

I disagree. Most support characters are not written as love interests only. An ensemble support cast brings dynamic and diverse storytelling to the page, making the focus on the super hero much more interesting. Jim Gordon, Alfred Pennyworth, Slam Bradley, Harvey Bullock, Montoya, Nancy Yip - (Batman & Detective Comics), Fat Man and Little Boy - (Sin City), Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, - (Superman), J. Jonah Jameson, Robbie Robertson, Ben & May Parker, Flash Thompson, Harry Osbourne, Jean DeWolf, Yuri Watanabe - (Spider-Man), Sharon Carter, Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Agent Coulson - (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D), Val Cooper - (X-Factor).

Anyway, you get the picture. I could be here all night putting in examples. A well written support character is an absolute must in any piece of writing, comic books or otherwise. They're not there to detract from the main protagonist i.e. (the super hero), but rather are there to enhance the story. Do you still think that support characters are limited and can only be represented as a love interest in comic books? Because there are dozens upon dozens of comic books that prove you wrong.

2. But only super powered characters can fight villains, have interesting lives and be worthy to be put in a comic book?

Again I wholeheartedly disagree. So you're saying that a support character has no business being in a comic book unless they're super powered? That's absurd. You do realize there are an overwhelming amount of comic book titles from Independent publishers that aren't about super heroes at all? I'm guessing you would find those books pretty boring and unworthy right?

I NEVER said that all supporting characters are love interests,I don't know were you got that from. I was sayng that in the context of just Carol, she is more interesting then BOTH normal characters AND love interests. And so are most superheros.

I NEVER said that a character that is not a superhero has no business in a superhero comic.You are Clearly reading my comments wrong

But on topic, Non superpowered characters should be in Superhero comics. But they should not over shadow the hero. And they should not stay in the book when they have overstayed there use.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I NEVER said that all supporting characters are love interests,I don't know were you got that from. I was saying that in the context of just Carol, she is more interesting than BOTH normal characters AND love interests. And so are most superheros.

I NEVER said that a character that is not a superhero has no business in a superhero comic.You are Clearly reading my comments wrong

But on topic, Non superpowered characters should be in Superhero comics. But they should not over shadow the hero. And they should not stay in the book when they have overstayed there use.

Okay, fair enough, point taken. I get that the original comment was in context to Carol Danvers, but you've got to admit from your general statement how easy it is to come to the conclusion that you feel super powered characters are better, more interesting and worthy to be put in a comic book than non powered ones.

IMO, super powers do not define a heroes ability to be better or more interesting and worthy. To me a hero is someone of distinguished courage or ability, admired for their brave deeds and noble qualities, defined by purpose of heart and strength of character. Those qualities are inherent to anyone, even to a non powered support character like Mary Jane.

#76 Posted by kcomicfan (1073 posts) - 1 day, 2 hours ago - Show Bio

@kiba said:

Was is the key word here. she is better than the regular human characters and regular love interests because she has superpowers so she can do more than just be a love interest. and that is why she can evolve and non-powered can't, she fights the villains so her life is interesting and is worthy to be put in a comic book.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Step one in handing the Marvel Golden Boy torch that IM picked up in the movies back to Spider-Man.

Catty_Spider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger: IM picked up the mantle in the Movies because Iron Man was a good fun film that even non comic book fans could enjoy. No other reason .

If the new Spiderman film is good then it would soon pick up that mantle again.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By kcomicfan

@kcomicfan said:

I NEVER said that all supporting characters are love interests,I don't know were you got that from. I was saying that in the context of just Carol, she is more interesting than BOTH normal characters AND love interests. And so are most superheros.

Okay, fair enough, point taken. I get that the original comment was in context to Carol Danvers, but you've got to admit from your general statement how easy it is to come to the conclusion that you feel super powered characters are better, more interesting and worthy to be put in a comic book than non powered ones.

IMO, super powers do not define a heroes ability to be better or more interesting and worthy. To me a hero is someone of distinguished courage or ability, admired for their brave deeds and noble qualities, defined by purpose of heart and strength of character. Those qualities are inherent to anyone, even to a non powered support character like Mary Jane.

#76 Posted by kcomicfan (1073 posts) - 1 day, 2 hours ago - Show Bio

@kiba said:

Was is the key word here. she is better than the regular human characters and regular love interests because she has superpowers so she can do more than just be a love interest. and that is why she can evolve and non-powered can't, she fights the villains so her life is interesting and is worthy to be put in a comic book.

My point was Superhero's are better, more interesting and are more worthy to be put in comic books, then support characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.