Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Peter Parker Spins His Final Web in Amazing Spider-Man #700

• 80 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

There's been a lot of talk about what happens in today's final issue of THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. Reaching a 700th issue is a big feat for a Marvel comic and unfortunately this marks the end for Spider-Man as we know him. But nothing lasts forever, including radical changes to comic book characters.

No Caption Provided

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #700

Written by DAN SLOTT with JM DEMATTEIS & JEN VAN METER

Art by HUMBERTO RAMOS with GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI & STEPHANIE BUSCEMA

Cover by MR. GARCIN

ON-SALE NOW!

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #700 SECOND PRINTING VARIANT (NOV128135)

Written by DAN SLOTT with JM DEMATTEIS & JEN VAN METER

Art by HUMBERTO RAMOS with GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI & STEPHANIE BUSCEMA

Cover by MR. GARCIN

FOC – 1/7/13, ON SALE 1/30/13

Here's what Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso had to say:

This is the single most seismic shift in Spider-Man’s history—and it’s not something that will disappear any time soon. When Spider-Man editor Steve Wacker and writer Dan Slott came to us with this story, it was clear that this was a long term plan crafted with the utmost love and respect for the character. This is the kind of story that will have fans up in arms—but also coming back to the comic stores to check out each new exciting issue.

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN may be ending today but on January 9, Marvel launches SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN by Dan Slott and Ryan Stegman. Shipping twice a month, the series begins the new chapter for Spider-Man. How long until Spidey's closest allies discover the truth?

You may have heard the spoilers or seen some images. You'll want to read the historic issue for yourself. Try to avoid discussing the events unless you use the spoiler tags because there's bound to be those out there that have managed to avoid them and are picking up the issue today.

Don't forget after reading AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #700, the story continues in AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #15.1

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #15.1

Written by CHRIS YOST

Art by PACO MEDINA

Cover by PAOLO RIVERA

ON-SALE NOW!

AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #15.1 SECOND PRINTING VARIANT (NOV128017)

Written by CHRIS YOST

Art by PACO MEDINA

Cover by PAOLO RIVERA

FOC – 1/7/13, ON SALE 1/30/13

And don't forget to check out SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN to see what comes next.

No Caption Provided

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #1 (NOV120633)

Written by DAN SLOTT

Art & Cover by RYAN STEGMAN

ON SALE – 1/9/13

Dru_zod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Dru_zod

Oh my goodness

this will be amazing............

Barubal10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Barubal10

I wonder: til when will this last? How long will we have to wait?

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By theTimeStreamer

OMD all over again................ only worse.

Dru_zod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dru_zod

@Barubal10: Why???

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xblah_blahx

"House of ideas" my @$$! This is just terrible.

cacarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cacarl

Marvel should wait a little bit more before throwing Superior to the fans, but I'm pretty sure everybody will count the days until Superior after the end of #700.

Alucard_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Alucard_N7

Just finished reading it and WTF?! O_o

Barubal10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Barubal10

@Dru_zod: sorry, and no offense, but I'm among those who dislike this and can't wait for this to end.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By TheMess1428
    Uchihataketo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Uchihataketo

@theTimeStreamer:

I feel ya dude. I don't remember the last time I've seen such a half-assed "massive change". Really disappointed, can't WAIT for this all to be undone. Screw you, Slott. Screw. You.

Alucard_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Alucard_N7

@Barubal10 I agree with you, I hope this ends quick!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

cool

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By TDK_1997

I can't wait for the issue to be in my hands.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

#14  Edited By StMichalofWilson

I hope there more than one story in this issue.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LordRequiem

If they get rid of Peter Parker I may just give up on Spider-man. This isn't the ultimate universe for Pete's sake. I've got no idea what's happening, but it doesn't sound good.

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theTimeStreamer said:

OMD all over again................ only worse.

A villian beating a hero is worst than the hero making a deal with the devil? Yeah No

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By karrob

My only question is why? Smh

RalfvdH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RalfvdH

I find the whole plot weak and forced... Give me a holler when Peter Parker returns... with his own mind.....

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#19  Edited By Cavemold

in the most umpressive way. i would of been fine with him dying in epic way but this was just sad

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#20  Edited By Cavemold

@RalfvdH said:

I find the whole plot weak and forced... Give me a holler when Peter Parker returns... with his own mind.....

forced like bad medicine

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@Death Certificate: a villain killing a hero and taking everything he had EVERYTHING is worse than a deal with a devil

Earth616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Earth616

@LordRequiem said:

If they get rid of Peter Parker I may just give up on Spider-man. This isn't the ultimate universe for Pete's sake. I've got no idea what's happening, but it doesn't sound good.

Haha "For Pete's sake" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice one!

But I agree, and I reallllllllllllllllllly hope it doesn't last too long............ I'll never give up on him though I don't think.............!!!!!!!!!!...............................

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theTimeStreamer: at peter will come back from this and it can be forgetten, same can't be said about OMD

at least the story make sense due to build up in previous issues, same can't be said about OMD

at least they story didn't crap on 20 years of continuity due to a writer being stuck in past, same can't be said OMD

I can go on about this for a day

blofeld666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blofeld666

Wtf !!! This story sucks ... Ok I can see where the big "OMG I got to keep reading" factor can make marvel money, but for those who love and know the characters for so long will hate this & the stories to follow. Can't wait for this to end. It's cool that marvel can't change some of the stupidity they made = Mary Jane n Peter can never be together ... But to create some bullshit story just so we can have Spider-Man & Mary Jane again as a couple is crap

BreZeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BreZeJ

A lot of angry people huh? This was kind of set up during 600. So I don't have a problem with all of this. He's going to appear across the board. I'm still on this ride until the end.

Lestenya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lestenya

What I find ridiculous is how Mary Jane would even put up with "Spider-Man". I also don't see MJ not noticing the GLARING differences in "Spider-Man". Guy makes a 180 degree personality adjustment and his supposedly closest friend doesn't even notice? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By Silver Knight75

Marvel....what in God's name have you done?

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Barkley

IVE SAID IT ONCE AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN....THE WORST STORY IN COMIC BOOK HISTORY

save.me.now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By save.me.now

Peter's death was just like his life, pitiful. The only reason it wasn't a complete disaster was due to an unintended side affect of the thing that ultimately killed him.

When Ultimate peter died, at the very least I was able to say "you know what, at least he lived a decent life."

1610 Peter: had like 3 girlfriends in high school, he had the full support and respect of J. Jonah Jameson, He saved captain America's life, He got to Break a freakin truck over Norman Osborn's Head, and he left behind a huge list of accomplishments in LESS THAN 2 YEARS of being a superhero, also since he died young, he never had to deal with the years of trauma (everything after Gwen's Death) that tormented 616 Peter and turned him into a headcase that doubted himself at every turn and couldn't wait to stop being spider man.

And last but not least. Ultimate Peter was given a hero's funeral. And then his family and loved ones got to mourn him, and go through the grieving process in a healthy way that lead to real closure in Spider-Men.

You can be sure that 616 peter's family and friends will never get any of that. They'll probably find out after months or years of living with the "new" peter. And then have to deal with the guilt of not being able to tell the difference right away, and any good experiences they might have had with the new peter. It'll just be more trauma for them. All they have to look forward to is more suffering on the horizon.

On a positive note, I really did like the two back-up stories. I think they were an essential part of the issue. They really cheered me up and almost made me forget how horrible the end of ASM was. And at the very least I think Peter's replacement will make SSM interesting. Unlike with Miles Morales, I could never see this new guy as spider-man but I at least think he'll be interesting to read about.

mariioow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mariioow

@Death Certificate: I agree with your first point but well I don't know how much sense all this makes, it kinda remembered me of that time Doom changed bodies with the Human Torch and well this story crapped 50 years of continuity so... I do feel that kinda hurts and if anyone says that it's not that bad a villain turning into a hero. He's objectively speaking turning into the hero himself here, after all he stole Peter's life and pretty much everything he had worked so hard for. (Counting MJ)

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By darthfury78

Let's hope that Peter's soul goes to Hell and is able to escape Mephisto to being his own adventures in a timeline where OMD never happened.

save.me.now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By save.me.now

@Silver Knight75 said:

Marvel....what in God's name have you done?

I actually LOLed when I saw this, even among all the angry reviews I gotta give this guy/gal points for drama.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

Seeing as how I know who Superior will be, I must say this.

And my feelings over this? This song should explain it.

bookerman20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bookerman20

Marvel made Peter Parker a flat out chump....

I'm really suppose to believe when y'all (Marvel) had a round table into discussion about how to present Spider-Man in MarvelNow, you thought of..."Hey, why don't we Peter Parker fade away from a Freaky Friday situation". Slott, I felt you did a lot to bring back a huge interest with the majority of Spider-Man's storylines when you took over. I can't even describe how disappointed of how I am of this sudden change. Majority of my favorite Marvel books have drastically changed or have finished. I have been leaning over towards DC Comics more and more as these changes have been coming. Spider-Man, to me, is the most tragic super-hero in comics. But the fact that he continued fighting, no matter what tragedy he had to endure. Anyone could have been Spider-Man under that costume, but it was a high school nobody that used the values he learned from tragedy, only to be my favorite super hero. I won't lie, I will check out Superior Spider-Man out of being curious. But I can guarantee that it won't be a part of my pull list. I'm sticking to seeing how Miles Morales story continues.

Peter Parker, I will wait for your return.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By Superguy0009e

@Barkley said:

IVE SAID IT ONCE AND I WILL SAY IT AGAIN....THE WORST STORY IN COMIC BOOK HISTORY

No, THIS IS!!

No Caption Provided

And yes, that is Norman Osborne impregnating Gwen Stacy. Why? Because IDK!!!!

I understand your frustration, but this was a great story. Spiderman died in a way honorable to his character: thinking outside the box and putting all of his might into saving the day without going against his morals. He died giving Otto a chance to redeem himself. I have faith in Dan Slott to write this new Spidey with dignity.

bookerman20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bookerman20
    Avatar image for roguejuggernaut
    RogueJuggernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RogueJuggernaut

Don't worry Peter will come back.

ComicFan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ComicFan93

What an absolute "F** You" to any type of Spider-Man fan.

So Doctor Octopus becomes the new Spidey in Parker's body? A villain is just supposed to replace Peter Parker? What an absolute load. I can understand if someone became a new Spider-Man entirely (hence, the Ultimate universe), but Doc Ock possessing Spider-Man's body while COMPLETELY SLAPPING AWAY PETER OUT OF THE BLUE?! What a horrible idea. This is such an awful move on Marvel's part, it's actually worse than One More Day. Yes, WORSE THAN ONE MORE DAY!!!

And the worst part? Not only does Peter Parker die in someone else's body, but since no one else knows it's him, he's surrounded by civilians who are saying good riddance. There's no dramatic crying or even remorse. Nobody's sad that he's gone, or even know's that he's gone. Parker has been a hero for decades, and in his last moments, how do people react in the end? CIVILIANS WANT HIM DEAD!!!

What kind of pigsh** story is this? There is no, and I mean NO excuse in the universe to make up for this udder tragedy of a comic. I've heard that Dan Slott is even receiving death threats for this comic, and honestly, I'm not surprised. I could stomach OMD and BND, but THIS?! I feel like Marvel stabbed me in the back with a rusted screwdriver. I will never, EVER forgive Slott, or Marvel for that matter, for dishing out this awful, contrived, depressing, mean-spirited, overall BULLSH** excuse of a comic.

Bring Peter Parker back, Marvel. Now.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not surprising...at all. They should have done Parker in the way he was done in Ultimate. Just my opinion.

Doomsday65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Doomsday65

I have not read spiderman since one more day. I have read avenging spiderman only because it's a team up book. But acutal spiderman has been ruined for me. I loved Peter and MJ together because that is how a hero is supposed to progress. Become an adult, marry, and so on. Lately Marvel and DC just want to keep their comics in the perputual limbo to try to sell more books. They fail to realize that consistent good writing and art will sell books. Bur what do I know. I am not in the business and now their main goal is to make money. Well I still have the many avengers and Xmen books to read and Green lantern and batman.

SexualLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SexualLobster

@ComicFan93 said:

So Doctor Octopus becomes the new Spidey in Parker's body? A villain is just supposed to replace Peter Parker? What an absolute load. I can understand if someone became a new Spider-Man entirely (hence, the Ultimate universe), but Doc Ock possessing Spider-Man's body while COMPLETELY SLAPPING AWAY PETER OUT OF THE BLUE?! What a horrible idea. This is such an awful move on Marvel's part, it's actually worse than One More Day. Yes, WORSE THAN ONE MORE DAY!!!

And the worst part? Not only does Peter Parker die in someone else's body, but since no one else knows it's him, he's surrounded by civilians who are saying good riddance. There's no dramatic crying or even remorse. Nobody's sad that he's gone, or even know's that he's gone. Parker has been a hero for decades, and in his last moments, how do people react in the end? CIVILIANS WANT HIM DEAD!!!

What kind of pigsh** story is this? There is no, and I mean NO excuse in the universe to make up for this udder tragedy of a comic. I've heard that Dan Slott is even receiving death threats for this comic, and honestly, I'm not surprised. I could stomach OMD and BND, but THIS?! I feel like Marvel stabbed me in the back with a rusted screwdriver. I will never, EVER forgive Slott, or Marvel for that matter, for dishing out this awful, contrived, depressing, mean-spirited, overall BULLSH** excuse of a comic.

He says before he reads the issue, or th new series.

It makes sense how Otto becomes a 'good guy' if you read it, he gets all of Peter's memories, and experiences.

He goes through the loss of Uncle Ben, the death of Gwen Stacey, his care for Aunt May, his love for MJ.

Not only that, but he basically relives all these things in his mind as if they happened to a teenage version of himself, so he understands Peter's motives and what not. I don't like that they killed him, but I like how they did it. It could have been worse, and it could have been a lot less original..

TL;DR- Stop being so butthurt.

bookerman20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bookerman20
    No Caption Provided

Thanks for everything (I know he'll eventually be back)

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#43  Edited By x_29

Come may 2014, good ol Pete will be back.

AranhaMarcial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AranhaMarcial

I hit a sadness to finish reading this edition. A hero who has always been marked by suffering, but they WON in the end, always leaving the message that despite the storm, good always wins ....

Now, Slott left us another message: The evil won ...

And there is a serious risk of American kids like the new Spider ... the fashion now is to be gloomy ... Badass, violent, a mixture of Wolverine, Punisher and Batman.

Fucking hell ... Spidey is light, overcoming the well. An ordinary guy who is the ultimate in selflessness. A genius who could earn a lot of money, but prefers to use his brain for the sake of others. Even without being recognized for it.

No hero is equal to it. In any publisher.

In mourning for Peter Parker (again ... it was dead in his Ultimate version. On

But ... at least Bendis killed him honorably, as a hero. Nor did it Slott. He died alone, humiliated ... not counting the scribbles of Humberto Ramos).

Parker did not deserve this end stupid and disrespectful if he planned to take the scene, at least exchanged for some other heroic character or at least aspire to some other such quality.

Now swap it with one of the worst villains of the Marvel and still trying to swallow this change as an evolution,'' something more'', again I like comic reader for over 10 years I am deeply humbled by this said house of ideas muito.Como sorry if this was not enough of octopus spider in issue 700 to MJ declares himself pro spider, not imagine where q is the octopus when peter get back to his body there he goes talking to MJ ... "looks who tava I was not eating you ...'' was the doctor octopus ... "What a situation! MJ still exposes this whole area ... A pity.

And very sad for I (24) my (50) father and my grandfather (now deceased) grids were fans of Spiderman and but above all fans of Peter Parker. I must say there both in the U.S. and in Brazil (I'm Brazilian) as anywhere in the world all TRUE fans and followers of Paker / Spiderman we mourn!

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By thatlad

While I'm sure this has all been well written it's still a pretty tired plot point. Even Peter dying isn't unpredictable or original, this will most likely lead to Peter's personality being inside his brain all the time and it rises to the surface eventually bringing back the status quo.

divad4686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By divad4686

@SexualLobster said:

@ComicFan93 said:

He says before he reads the issue, or th new series.

It makes sense how Otto becomes a 'good guy' if you read it, he gets all of Peter's memories, and experiences.

He goes through the loss of Uncle Ben, the death of Gwen Stacey, his care for Aunt May, his love for MJ.

Not only that, but he basically relives all these things in his mind as if they happened to a teenage version of himself, so he understands Peter's motives and what not. I don't like that they killed him, but I like how they did it. It could have been worse, and it could have been a lot less original..

TL;DR- Stop being so butthurt.

Worse? Humiliated and without anyone even knowing he died, and that the last thing he did was try to save all the people he care about. I don't think it could habe been much worse.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By waezi2

Oh, this is just great!!! Hey, now we are at it, arm Batman with a machinegun, start a new comic about Neutro and let Wonderdog eat the Wondertwins... no wait, they did the last one... But anyway THIS IS... SICK!!! WHY MARVEL, WHY? Did we want this? But then again, you never realy cared about what we wanted, did you Marvel? You just want to make comics that make us say: Oh my god! This is new! That is a good thing, right? NO ITS NOT!!! Look, I coud go and by a fork from England by using amazon(Im Danish by the way), wait a week for it to come by mail, and then kill rabbits with it, so I coud try somting I never had done before. BUT I DONT! And why woud I? Let me say it this way: If you havent reed Spiderman 700, then DONT DO IT!!! Its a mindfuck of the worst kind. And you know who is to blame? YOU! Thats right comicbuyer,they told you that what they made was gold and you read it. And so did I, drag me to hell,because I believed it would be the end of OMD. You keep buying Marvels junk, therefore they keep making junk. I havent bought Marvelcomics(except Avengers Academy) in years, but DAMM... I bought this book! So come on, people of the internet! Stop buying Marvel-junk! Sooner or later, they have to hear the people, and focus on making good comics, instead of mindfucks. Viva la revolution!!!....................................... Maybe I overkilld it a little...

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48  Edited By Rixec

@ComicFan93 said:

This wasn't Marvel's move; it was all Dan Slott. He came up with the story and convinced Marvel it was the proper way to go. And they know whatever Slott has come up with so this may all play out in the future. And Doc Ock did feel something for Peter's death and has now changed because of Peter and everything he has done up till that point. I'm sure this is all leading to something important.

ComicFan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ComicFan93

@Rixecsaid:

@ComicFan93 said:

This wasn't Marvel's move; it was all Dan Slott. He came up with the story and convinced Marvel it was the proper way to go. And they know whatever Slott has come up with so this may all play out in the future. And Doc Ock did feel something for Peter's death and has now changed because of Peter and everything he has done up till that point. I'm sure this is all leading to something important.

@Rixec Fine, it was all Dan Slott. Even so, at this point, who cares if it's leading up to something important? This story was so half-assed and so insulting to Peter Parker's character, I don't even care what Doc Ock goes through. What, so Slott has Doc Ock kill Peter Parker, then gain redemption BY BECOMING HIM?!?! Saving civilians, being an Avenger, being in love with Mary Jane. Dock Ock gets to enjoy everything he took away from Peter Parker, and then we have to feel sorry for him? How the hell am I supposed to support that?

:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.