Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Message to all the "blind" marriage supporters.

• 137 results
    PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Edited By PunyParker

You all "marriage lovers" please take a MASSIVE listen to what i'm about to say.

For YEARS now, people like you have accused Marvel (Spider-Man) comics of being "bad" JUST BECAUSE Peter Parker is not married.
    I am sick and tired of it.
    I see poorly written books like Slott's RYV getting praise by you lot, just because you saw Peter and MJ be in a room together feeding a kid.

Stop it.
    RIght now.

HORRIBLE WRITING should NOT get praise JUST BECAUSE you like the theme of the certain book.....the book was marketed to you, specifically, because they knew that you'd be down with it, just because you'll see MJ and Peter together again.....

It's stupid.

The main reason i dropped Spider-Man was that i was TIRED of him being written SO BAD by Dan Slott.

I won't read it 'just cuz Spider-Man' anymore, no. i think i'm worth more than that.

"One More Day" is bad for a number of reasons.
    The main one being that it's constructed really poorly, because of the story we all know with JMS and Joe Q, yadda yadda yadda.

I hate it because of that.Because they didn't have a specific and particular reason to split.
    You wanna know?

If the story was written well, and was given a proper structure, i wouldn't have a problem with it!

Honest to God, it's storytelling, we would have read a good story, and would have been anticipating the new one, where they find a solution to be together again.

Stories are circles.

Marvel went ahead and crapped on Spider-Man, the following years, and that has the verdict we see today, a Peter Parker who doesn't really know what and who he really is......the entity known as "Spider-Man" is lost somewhere around the corner of Stan Lee's office.

Anyway, teenage Peter, grown up Peter, college Peter, i don't give a damn, if the story's good and he's written well, i'm down 100%.

I never had a problem with Ultimate Peter Parker.
    I never had a problem with Parker and Mary from the "MJ loves Spider-Man series" which are AWESOME, check it out.
    Never had a problem with JMS' Parker.

Why all that?
    Because they're written well.
    Married or not, 15 or 28, it's Peter Parker.
    So stop whinning and being preoccupied with a certain type of story all the time.
    Open your damn minds......

I would want to see you all react to a "Married Parker couple" written by, i dunno.....Rob Liefeld and drawn by me, or something....you'd still drool all over this crap....

P.S Before you start barking at me that i hate married Peter Parker, just please work out in your perfectly funcional brain, what i wrote, and then reply like a normal human being.....

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay I've read what you wrote and worked it out in my perfectly functional brain and am responding like a normal human being, with a flag to the moderators for the F bombs you dropped since those are against the rules here. Next time you want to lecture us on being open minded or whatever try acting like a mature adult instead of a irrational, moody child.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geez calm down bro

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By BappyRonChantin

I opened my mind and realized Peter and MJ should get married :)

Nothing will make me tolerate a badly written story though.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Thought this was about gay marriage or something.

~MiB

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PunyParker

@kiba said:

Okay I've read what you wrote and worked it out in my perfectly functional brain and am responding like a normal human being, with a flag to the moderators for the F bombs you dropped since those are against the rules here. Next time you want to lecture us on being open minded or whatever try acting like a mature adult instead of a irrational, moody child.

Great gesture, mr rational, mature, adult.
    Next time report me for not agreeing with my opinion too, that might satisfy your needs.

Also, the F bombs are covered......like in comicbooks, you know.
    But anyway, you have your opinion already, who am i to present something different.

Thank you for the Flag, greatly appreciated.
    Now an opinion piece, that's going against the popular "norm" will be taken down.

Good for you.
    And did you mention anything about the actual theme of the OP ?.....oh, you didn't?....ok then...

@BappyRonChantin said:

I opened my mind and realized Peter and MJ should get married :)

Nothing will make me tolerate a badly written story though.

Exactly my opinion.

I think they work well together, but i won't sacrifice the quality of storytelling for the sake of them being married.

@incursion2 said:

Geez calm down bro

I've had enough of this, apologies for the tone.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought this was about gay marriage or something.

~MiB

This is funny, but i would have thought the same thing.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Elbarto17: you're very welcome! If your "opinion piece" gets taken down its your own fault not mine. Have a nice day;)!

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

@Elbarto17: you're very welcome! If your "opinion piece" gets taken down its your own fault not mine. Have a nice day;)!

I hope you're happy with yourself.
    We need happy people in this world.

Gave meaning to your day.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ZariusII

Trust me, I know what it's like to put up with some weak-ass storytelling just to get my marriage fix. The newspaper strip is kind of a chore at times, sometimes it hits the spot, sometimes it does'nt (in fact, a lot of the times, it does'nt), but at this stage I'll take what I can get. I'm actually going back and reading the ones from the 70s and they're considerably better (hell the wedding story from the strip is a lot less cliched than the 616 version)

I read and enjoyed Renew Your Vows, but I'm the first to admit the ending sucked and yet another case of Slott chickening out of a decent and effective climax. I agreed with the message, just not the execution, and Annie was still written way more annoyingly than any child Peter and MJ have conceived.

I really have been enjoying Spider-Man/Deadpool lately, it's filled the spot that Spyral did last year, and this week's issue just made me hopeful for stronger offerings from it in the future, it felt like we might finally be getting somewhere with our nine years of (im)patience.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By animehunter

@Elbarto17: I'll be first to admit that when it come Peter and Mary Jane's marriage I can get emotional and try to grab on anything that's out there that might bring it back.

But would I say I blindly support it, not really, I would say 50/50, if a book with the marriage pops up I'll give a chance, like I did with RYV, which to my utter surprise I enjoyed, because I was expecting it to be same Slott hatchet job that he's done with the main book.

To me, like you, if a stories good I'll read it, if not I wouldn't give it the time of day, but that doesn't mean I won't give it a chance.

Although like @zariusii, when it comes to the daily newspaper strip, I will tolerate it, because right now it the only place where a married Peter and MJ is and plus it's free.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By dernman

Marriage or no marriage Slott needs to go before it's too late and irreparable damage is done. People are already thinking his garbage is an accurate representation of Peter when it's nothing but short sited out of character fanfiction..

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually agree with this post completely. The only difference is that I recognize Slott's work as pretty well plotted out for the most part, and well thought out if not well executed.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's always been about great storytelling, which IMO has eluded the ASM title for years now.

IMO, Dan Slott stories equate to disposable pulp fiction. Nothing memorable or of any textual substance. No real character development, just poorly executed plots with corny cartoon dialogue.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZariusII

@animehunter said:

Although like @zariusii, when it comes to the daily newspaper strip, I will tolerate it, because right now it the only place where a married Peter and MJ is and plus it's free.

It's just at the moment the writers are into this annoying habit of having MJ pretend she likes the antagonists just to spare Peter any harm, it's annoying.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099 said:

I actually agree with this post completely. The only difference is that I recognize Slott's work as pretty well plotted out for the most part, and well thought out if not well executed.

You know what, he plots well.

Not now, of course, he ran his miles, it's long over, he just can't admit it yet.

But "Big time" and Superior were well plotted stories.

He can't write, in my opinion....dialog is awful.

@dernman said:

Marriage or no marriage Slott needs to go before it's too late and irreparable damage is done. People are already thinking his garbage is an accurate representation of Peter when it's nothing but short sited out of character fanfiction..

Luckily i haven't seen anyone state it, so i remain sane.

To me, like you, if a stories good I'll read it, if not I wouldn't give it the time of day, but that doesn't mean I won't give it a chance.

If you don't give something a chance, you can't judge it, so giving it a chance, is a given.
    I'm talking about loving and supporting something, just because it covers a theme you like.

The opposite too.....if something covers a theme you DON'T like (Superior Spider-Man, Miles Morales : Spider-Man) you should give it a read to see that it can be interesting.

You of ALL PEOPLE should know that if a book existed where Peter confesses his love to Felicia and they get together, i'd lose my collective crap, and bring it to my grave, BUT......if it's written poorly, and is a weak story, i wouldn't praise it....it'd be depressing, but i wouldn't.

@zariusii said:

Trust me, I know what it's like to put up with some weak-ass storytelling just to get my marriage fix. The newspaper strip is kind of a chore at times, sometimes it hits the spot, sometimes it does'nt (in fact, a lot of the times, it does'nt), but at this stage I'll take what I can get. I'm actually going back and reading the ones from the 70s and they're considerably better (hell the wedding story from the strip is a lot less cliched than the 616 version)

I read and enjoyed Renew Your Vows, but I'm the first to admit the ending sucked and yet another case of Slott chickening out of a decent and effective climax. I agreed with the message, just not the execution, and Annie was still written way more annoyingly than any child Peter and MJ have conceived.

I really have been enjoying Spider-Man/Deadpool lately, it's filled the spot that Spyral did last year, and this week's issue just made me hopeful for stronger offerings from it in the future, it felt like we might finally be getting somewhere with our nine years of (im)patience.

That's what i'm saying, you shouldn't blind your judgement, under any circumstances.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I'm worth more than that" made me lol. always loved your blog

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PunyParker

Missed you, fam.

Siteure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You all "marriage lovers" please take a MASSIVE listen to what i'm about to say.

For YEARS now, people like you have accused Marvel (Spider-Man) comics of being "bad" JUST BECAUSE Peter Parker is not married.

I am sick and tired of it.

I see poorly written books like Slott's RYV getting praise by you lot, just because you saw Peter and MJ be in a room together feeding a kid.

Stop it.

RIght now.

HORRIBLE WRITING should NOT get praise JUST BECAUSE you like the theme of the certain book.....the book was marketed to you, specifically, because they knew that you'd be down with it, just because you'll see MJ and Peter together again.....

It's stupid.

The main reason i dropped Spider-Man was that i was TIRED of him being written SO BAD by Dan Slott.

I won't read it 'just cuz Spider-Man' anymore, no. i think i'm worth more than that.

"One More Day" is bad for a number of reasons.

The main one being that it's constructed really poorly, because of the story we all know with JMS and Joe Q, yadda yadda yadda.

I hate it because of that.Because they didn't have a specific and particular reason to split.

You wanna know?

If the story was written well, and was given a proper structure, i wouldn't have a problem with it!

Honest to God, it's storytelling, we would have read a good story, and would have been anticipating the new one, where they find a solution to be together again.

Stories are circles.

Marvel went ahead and crapped on Spider-Man, the following years, and that has the verdict we see today, a Peter Parker who doesn't really know what and who he really is......the entity known as "Spider-Man" is lost somewhere around the corner of Stan Lee's office.

Anyway, teenage Peter, grown up Peter, college Peter, i don't give a damn, if the story's good and he's written well, i'm down 100%.

I never had a problem with Ultimate Peter Parker.

I never had a problem with Parker and Mary from the "MJ loves Spider-Man series" which are AWESOME, check it out.

Never had a problem with JMS' Parker.

Why all that?

Because they're written well.

Married or not, 15 or 28, it's Peter Parker.

So stop whinning and being preoccupied with a certain type of story all the time.

Open your damn minds......

I would want to see you all react to a "Married Parker couple" written by, i dunno.....Rob Liefeld and drawn by me, or something....you'd still drool all over this crap....

P.S Before you start barking at me that i hate married Peter Parker, just please work out in your perfectly funcional brain, what i wrote, and then reply like a normal human being.....

There is moments when i really like forums. And this moments is one of them. Why ? Because what you think and what you say is 100% true. People whinning about MJ and Peter not married i'm one of them. i don't feel offense about what you said because I think Slott is not good a his job not because of the lack of marriage but because as you say the writing is bad. It's been too long that he is on the run. I can't see him anymore. I don't really have a lot of memories of what he did and yet i remember a lot more the before OMD because it was much more dynamic, funny. I remember the time when I was really laughing and not just smiling (or facepalming). So thank you to remember us that Parker is not just a marriage it's a all character that will be destroy if Slott doesn't leave. A character that I idolize since I'm kid. I dreamed about being him. The first superhero i've seen at the age of 5 (It was in the first Raimi's film). So i'm not idolizing you for your comment but i'm thanking for remembering the readers that it's not when MJ and Pete are married again that it's a good storie (see the RYV end). We are all glad to see them together but it's not a good story.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@siteure: Well said, exactly.

And i certainly don't want to be idolized, i just want people to understand where good stuff are coming from....and it's not in "themes" it's in quality.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Elbarto17: Has someone who is major fan of Peter and MJ, who supports them being together and married. I fully agree and support your post/thread, for me it always been about storytelling and characterization. Bad and poor writing is bad and poor writing, no matter what theme a person tries to cover it up. For me Slott has cool and interesting ideas and concepts, but when executing he is lackluster mediocre and underwhelming. Execution is key to good/great storytelling, Slott doesn't do solid job of that in my opinion.

If a book existed where Peter confesses his love to Felicia and they get together.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ I dream of that too.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Elbarto17: Has someone who is major fan of Peter and MJ, who supports them being together and married. I fully agree and support your post/thread, for me it always been about storytelling and characterization. Bad and poor writing is bad and poor writing, no matter what theme a person tries to cover it up. For me Slott has cool and interesting ideas and concepts, but when executing he is lackluster mediocre and underwhelming. Execution is key to good/great storytelling, Slott doesn't do solid job of that in my opinion.

If a book existed where Peter confesses his love to Felicia and they get together.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ I dream of that too.

I should hire you to write my blogs.
    3 bucks/hour.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Elbarto17: Sorry if I have upset you with my past posts.

To be honest, I think we all would have been more okay with Peter being single again if it was handled better and with better story. It was so out of character and bizzare I can't believe Marvel didn't retcon the whole idea. I believe they were hundreds of ways they could have severed the romance without upsetting so many readers and being so heavily out of character. It was too forced.

There have been some great titles of Peter without his wedding band on (Spider Island was fun and I really liked American Son) but I just can't enjoy what Slott is doing in his run. It's like he lost sight as to how the original Spiderman Cast works and how they act. It's really a shame cause I loved alot of his older work within the SpiderMan Universe.

Sadly, the only time I recall Peter and Felicia being together permanently was a What If story where Peter married Felecia instead of MJ and it ended with Black Cat's death.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kittyparker13 said:

Missed you, fam.

You too, homie

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By The_Waffle

You are my prophet, keep up the good work. RYV wasn't even that good, I thought it started off promising, but it went downhill after issue 2 easily.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Elbarto17: Sorry if I have upset you with my past posts.

I don't think you have, mate. :)

To be honest, I think we all would have been more okay with Peter being single again if it was handled better and with better story. It was so out of character and bizzare I can't believe Marvel didn't retcon the whole idea. I believe they were hundreds of ways they could have severed the romance without upsetting so many readers and being so heavily out of character. It was too forced.

There have been some great titles of Peter without his wedding band on (Spider Island was fun and I really liked American Son) but I just can't enjoy what Slott is doing in his run. It's like he lost sight as to how the original Spiderman Cast works and how they act. It's really a shame cause I loved alot of his older work within the SpiderMan Universe.

Sadly, the only time I recall Peter and Felicia being together permanently was a What If story where Peter married Felecia instead of MJ and it ended with Black Cat's death.

It was, absolutely.
    OMD is a terrible story, but not because of what it brought (the split) but because the structure and purpose are not there.
    Of course, when you have a verdict like that also, it brings it all down.

I liked American Son too, but Spier-Island....i thought it was silly.
    Big Time was great, and yeah, he was decent until Superior.....Superior really took it all down (THEME-wise, not storytelling-wise...that's the point of my original post.I liked Superior, ultimately, because the storytelling was good.) and then it never recovered.

And originally when they were young, back in the 80s.
    They were mostly making out and fighting bad guys thought, so it was, sadly, only a fling....

You are my prophet, keep up the good work. RYV wasn't even that good, I thought it started off promising, but it went downhill after issue 2 easily.

But everyone "loves" it.......
    I can't understand people, how they "LOVE" 5 books of a person (Slott) when they hate 370 issues before, and 370 after it.....

@riscrit said:

@Elbarto17: You're the man! Having a coherent plot and a well written story is indeed the most important aspect of any story for that matter. Besides, I've never been a huge fan of the marriage in the first place so it's a little annoying when I hear people grumble about it all the time.

Understandable.

I love the character of MJ more than i love the aspect of Peter Parker being married too, so if a writer comes where he puts her back in Peter's world, writes her well, but they remain only friends, i won't bother.
    I'll be more than happy, actually, make someone else Peter's girlfriend, and make MJ pretend like she doesn't care etc, we'll all be gitty about it.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the character of MJ more than i love the aspect of Peter Parker being married too, so if a writer comes where he puts her back in Peter's world, writes her well, but they remain only friends, i won't bother.

I'll be more than happy, actually, make someone else Peter's girlfriend, and make MJ pretend like she doesn't care etc, we'll all be gitty about it.

I'd be fine with it, but then the one-above-all told Peter he and MJ would be a family at some point anyway, so it'd just be a case of waiting for the inevitable second stint at marriage

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By The_Waffle

@Elbarto17: Neither do I, it's the same sh!t basically. I did like how the supporting cast was scaled back to Mj pretty much, like the JMS days, with Annie replacing Aunt May, because Slotts cast is unbearable. But yeah it was nothing spectacular.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:

I'd be fine with it, but then the one-above-all told Peter he and MJ would be a family at some point anyway, so it'd just be a case of waiting for the inevitable second stint at marriage

That's exactly the obsession i'm talking about in my post......

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ZariusII

@Elbarto17 said:
    @zariusii said:

That's exactly the obsession i'm talking about in my post......

So? It matters not if the books are better or worse on the way there, I know it's an inevitability

If DC can go back to a married Superman...

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: That's what i mean.

I can't get the obsession witht he marriage....
    I'd prefer MJ and Peter to be single and friends, if they're written well.
    Don't give a damn if they're married or not.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PunyParker yeah, Slott still has nice ideas but now he isn't even writing the actual stories properly. Amazing Spider-Man Volume 4 could have been a classic story of Peter finally doing Uncle Ben proud in the way that Ben always wanted, and truly fulfilling his great responsibility through his love for science and helping the whole world forward. Instead, the focus is less on that type of thing and rather on some cheesy villain, corporation conspiracies, and silly antics. This is especially disappointing considering issue #1 and #2 were really good (with #1 being my favourite Spidey issue of the past 20-30 or so years, I'd think) before Slott just lost it. I mean, some issues have still been pretty good, but the overall quality is not much above average (mainly due to the horrible Dark Kingdom arc). It really is a shame since Slott was the one who originally redeemed Brand New Day for me from ASM #648 and onwards.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii:Yeah. Even when Quesada wrote OMD Mephisto DID state Peter and MJ were true loves and were meant to be together. At times, I feel like it was a nod that everything was going to be alright. As if he wrote it that way to say 'he will be single for now but in the end, when the time comes to it, he will be back with Mary Jane'....I later had doubts on this since the writers always change and so do the teams.

OAA did say that they will have their family, but who is to say his statement is false now?

@Elbarto17: Sorry man. I don't mean to sound obsessed. It's just...well I don't know how to put it. It seems kinda unfair to the original creators to mess with a character so much. I need to figure out how to word this...

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im feeling what your saying

im for sure gonna check out the mj loves spidey series for sure

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ZariusII

@itsaworld said:

@zariusii:Yeah. Even when Quesada wrote OMD Mephisto DID state Peter and MJ were true loves and were meant to be together. At times, I feel like it was a nod that everything was going to be alright. As if he wrote it that way to say 'he will be single for now but in the end, when the time comes to it, he will be back with Mary Jane'....I later had doubts on this since the writers always change and so do the teams.

OAA did say that they will have their family, but who is to say his statement is false now?

You could make the case the claim was false because the family Peter and MJ have includes children by the names of Mary and Benjy, where as in OMD Mephisto tells Peter and MJ they will have just one daughter (who we learn would have been called Annie May in Renew Your Vows), however, you could also make the case that Mary Jr and Benjy are conceived when Peter and MJ's marriage is restored and they move forward knowing they lost Annie but can let other children into the world and give them the chance they denied that daughter.

It can work as both a tragic consequence of not having the patience to wait for fate to make things right, or it can be a tragic reminder of what to deal with before moving forward.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wut said:
    No Caption Provided

Then....

im for sure gonna check out the mj loves spidey series for sure

Highschool drama with Spider-Man characters, it's phenomenal.
    And well written.

It really is a shame since Slott was the one who originally redeemed Brand New Day for me from ASM #648 and onwards.

Indeed.
    For me, Kelly was the best from this group of writers, then.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Elbarto17: Because I felt like I needed to let you know just how little I care.

Doing a public service, really.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By muhabba

Here's my problem with the story-telling of the last few years. It's all been done. Can Slott write: Yes. Can Slott write well: Yes. Is the Marvel writing team just rewriting stories they read as kids: IMO Yes. The Gauntlet was just Knightfall, Will they/Won't they with MJ is just Will they/Won't they with MJ from literally decades ago. CEO of a tech company masqurading as his own body guard was great when it was Iron Man. And Doc Ock Spidey was just every other mind swap story with more Shock & Awe. I'm not saying they were written badly, I'm just saying they were written before the current average Spider-Man readers were born

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muhabba said:

Here's my problem with the story-telling of the last few years. It's all been done. Can Slott write: Yes. Can Slott write well: Yes. Is the Marvel writing team just rewriting stories they read as kids: IMO Yes. The Gauntlet was just Knightfall, Will they/Won't they with MJ is just Will they/Won't they with MJ from literally decades ago. CEO of a tech company masqurading as his own body guard was great when it was Iron Man. And Doc Ock Spidey was just every other mind swap story with more Shock & Awe. I'm not saying they were written badly, I'm just saying they were written before the current average Spider-Man readers were born

Well, that's just comics, man.
    That's how it works.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wut said:

@Elbarto17: Because I felt like I needed to let you know just how little I care.

Doing a public service, really.

1. You letting me know that you don't care is.....meaningless.If you really didn't care, you wouldn't bother posting anything, let alone reading the thing...
    2. There is no "public service" involved in what you did, mate... :)
    Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Wut

@Elbarto17: 1. Meaningless to you, mate. You see my post as a waste of time, a blight upon your 'amazingly though out thread' that really just means I read it and I care, well, care in enough manner to post. But, I didn't manage to make it through the first few sentences.

Now, stay with me, mate. To me, my dear fellow, it wasn't meaningless. Seeing something someone obviously cares way too much about when it is a topic that, literally, means nothing is something I take great enjoyment in. I just love posting how little I care about the subject they feel is noteworthy.

So, you see, mate, for you it was meaningless, but for me, it was hilarious. So, at the very least, your topic made someone out there smile, and that, mate, is something you should feel good about.

2. Oh, but it truly was. How else is a forum to flourish if people don't post in it? Is not the sucess of a thread often measured by how many post it gets even if half the post are just 'lol' or 'Insert A wins'?

I consider it my public duty to post in threads, every once in awhile, simply to help the forum, and in turn, the site, flourish.

A daunting task, but one I hold sacred.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wut: The thread had a good amount of posts from people who cared about the topic i covered already.......if you had posted 3 days after nothing woulda been posted, then maybe you would have been right.

But now it's just asking for attention.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody's written a better Spider-Man in the last 15 years than Slott. He gets what Spider-Man is all about.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muhabba said:

Not to mention the CEO Peter has been done before as well but in the 90s cartoon. Sure it was an alternate universe, but Slotts run seems to be hitting alotta notes the Spiderman Animated Series did back in the day.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking about the Mephistopheles cameo in Spiderman/Deadpool and it reminded me of that we are now dealing with a status quo where Peter is rather close to one of the two alternate universe versions of himself he met in OMD, Also CEO Peter was evil in Edge of Time and Ezekiel was basically an older CEO Peter minus the heroics.

RYV was a good story I've read hundreds of better ones but it's the best spiderman story we've had outside Conway's Spiral since OMD . As for the criticisms of it I've heard the past year are pretty lame I have my own criticisms of it but they are a bit deeper than "that Regent guy kind of reminds me of Darkseid" or the last issue was to lighthearted. Now one could say all that the blame for the garbage that's been printed can be placed on bad writers but weren't those bad writers specifically hired to enforce Quesada's vision. I believe the marriage is a superior status quo and that a superior status quo lends itself to better stories nevertheless when RYV was approaching I was warning people not to expect RYV to be good even if it wasn't OMIT 2 it would still be crap if written by Slott or another bad writer the marriage couldn't be expected to improve the stories automatically could it?

But after reading RYV last year I came to the conclusion that while it certainly can't mask bad writing the marriage and/or kid/s when written without spitefulness on the part of the writer do in fact automatically improve story quality. And Slott was clearly motivated to bring his A game it's quite clear that Slott finds writing single Peter Parker extremely boring hence Superior Spider-Man, Spider-Verse etcetera but married father Spider-Man seemed to energize him even though he didn't like the marriage and went out of his way not to write a single scene of Peter and MJ as a couple outside of the context of being Annie's parents.

the biggest reason I'm a marriage fan is I feel it's a prerequisite for a healthy mythology and consistent output of good stories once a certain point in continuity has been past. Plus the narrative seems to want it and it's really hard to kill I came to realize that resistance is futile and so I detest the waste of energy that's been put into opposing it and the damage it's inflicted on the mythology since they first started fooling around in the clone saga.

Respectfully @PunyParker you do know from the replies you've received on this thread that there is no such thing as a "blind" marriage supporter we all care about story quality independent of Peter's marital status.

Would I prefer a well written MJ as a friend over a poorly written spouse yes but if she's just a friend/confidant we are going to suffer the same repetitive arc of them "realizing" their love for one another and getting back together or being driven apart instead.

At root Peter and MJ are best friends that is the foundation of their relationships and marriage those are merely an extension of that friendship so having them as friends will cause the narrative to generate the same arc again and again until it gets what it wants Peter and Mary Jane as a married couple. That's why Superior #31 was the ultimate betrayal MJ didn't break up with Peter in the sense of them having a relationship she severed the friendship that was the foundation of every relationship they've had.

And a relationship without marriage is pretty pointless given the long history they've had and MJ's commitment problems which seem to dissapear once that ring is on her finger. Even though Slott hates MJ and the marriage he's essentially voiced that he would prefer to write Mary Jane well within the marriage than repeat that 1980's friendship arc again.

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate modern Spider comics because there not married, I hate the because there badly written.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate modern Spider comics because there not married, I hate the because there badly written.

Pshttt noob. I hate them because of both xD

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ZariusII

@ducey13 said:

Nobody's written a better Spider-Man in the last 15 years than Slott. He gets what Spider-Man is all about.

ROFL, that's a good one. Got any more a-list material funny man?

JMS, Peter David and Matt Fraction would like a word with you noob.

@knightwriteri said:

At root Peter and MJ are best friends that is the foundation of their relationships and marriage those are merely an extension of that friendship so having them as friends will cause the narrative to generate the same arc again and again until it gets what it wants Peter and Mary Jane as a married couple. That's why Superior #31 was the ultimate betrayal MJ didn't break up with Peter in the sense of them having a relationship she severed the friendship that was the foundation of every relationship they've had.

Which can be easily blamed on chaos magic influencing her rather than her own individual choices, per the deal still being in place.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.