Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Marvel : Here's a married Peter Parker.With a kid.Are you happy, now?!!

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@christianrapper: My idea doesn't feature Peter becoming a minion in his own company- it features him becoming the premier researcher for the AVENGERS. Basically, he will be saving the world with his smarts and his powers time and time again. If anything, that's an upgrade to the current status quo.

But overall, I agree with your posts. Peter is far better as a CEO than a regular citizen for sure!! If Slott actually regresses Peter again, I will be SO PISSED.

@Zarius: sure he was rich in the sense that he had a good family, but you can't say that he was any richer. Considering 616 Peter isn't a shell, but actually has a life of his own, with no memory of his marriage, he is still living a great life with no sense of loss. If he does get married, this life will be infinitely better than the unrealistic futures portrayed in RYV or Spider-Girl continuities.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@zarius: I understand how you feel man, cause I more or less feel the same. Specially when concerning P.I and his role in the company.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#203  Edited By Zarius

@blackspidey2099 said:

@christianrapper: My idea doesn't feature Peter becoming a minion in his own company- it features him becoming the premier researcher for the AVENGERS. Basically, he will be saving the world with his smarts and his powers time and time again. If anything, that's an upgrade to the current status quo.

But overall, I agree with your posts. Peter is far better as a CEO than a regular citizen for sure!! If Slott actually regresses Peter again, I will be SO PISSED.

@Zarius: sure he was rich in the sense that he had a good family, but you can't say that he was any richer. Considering 616 Peter isn't a shell, but actually has a life of his own, with no memory of his marriage, he is still living a great life with no sense of loss. If he does get married, this life will be infinitely better than the unrealistic futures portrayed in RYV or Spider-Girl continuities.

Ok, that is nonsense, what made the Spider-Girl reality "unrealistic?" You're right about RYV because of how nutzoid the premise is, but there is nothing irregular about Peter working as a forensic scientist and making ends meet with a loving family. He's still making a difference in the world and helping out in a way that is approachable to the regular guy.

Having a family does not make you a "shell", I'm starting to think you've never been in a meaningful relationship, and if you are, you'd best hope your wife does'nt read this crap.

Mephisto said a small part of him would remember he was married, and Peter not feeling loss would be actually out-of-character for him, he may be rich but so much of what made him who and what he is remains out of reach. I wouldn't wish that on any man. Having a family to lean on makes you a better person than all of the wealth and gadgetries put together. Having Peter lose sight of that, and wanting him to carry on without holding on to that, is the wrong perspective to have as a fan.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By blackspidey2099

@zarius: The fact that it features a Peter who grew up and still failed to live up to his potential and fulfill his dreams is what made it unrealistic. That totally worked as a character element when Peter was young, but the older Peter gets, the less logical it becomes to arbitrarily force Peter into an average, underdog persona. One of the smartest people in the world will never end up as a forensic scientist -in fact, that would require him to behave irresponsibly towards his family, considering he is squandering away the much wealthier life they could have had for no reason, as will as reducing his reach to help people.

I didn't say having a family made him a shell. I meant that even though Peter lost his family, he isn't a shell without them, because he doesn't remember the events. I've repeatedly detailed that I am a fan of a married Peter, so there was no reason for you to think that. (Besides, those pathetic attempts at jabs at my life and character were simply that - pathetic)

Sure, Mephisto did say that, and if Peter could ACTUALLY remember the marriage, he definitely would be experiencing heart rending loss, but honestly, I doubt the "remembrance", if there even is one, is anything more than a few melancholy moments here and there, and Peter doesn't even know why he feels that way.

In the end, I do agree that having a family makes you a better person (usually). But that wealth and gadgetry in the hands of Peter Parker makes the WORLD a better place. And one of Peter's MOST charming traits (maybe even flaws) is that he has always cared more about everyone else than himself. As such, it is natural that others' needs would take precedence over his own, and having it any other way would be what is CERTAINLY out of character.

Dedonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I feel that Peter's occupation was more of a throw back to what Peter was doing in comics during that era of comics (if I'm wrong about this, let me know) instead of a "natural progression" of his career. This can also be seen in the character designs. Iron Man wasn't wearing an MCU inspired armor, the New Warriors were still together, etc. It is much like X-Men '92. They are hearkening back to a previous era of comics.

Also, would Peter pursing a career that was "worthy of his intelligence" be caring about himself, which, according to you (@blackspidey2099) would be out of character? Remember that Peter dropped out of graduate school because he wanted to help the recently injured Black Cat and his photography gig with the Bugle was the quickest means of earning cash to do so.

Furthermore, I don't see a problem with him having a job "below his intelligence". By your reasoning (@blackspidey2099), Spencer Reid on Criminal Minds should not be working for the FBI because he is "too smart for that".

Just playing Devil's Advocate here. :D

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By amazingfantasy

Interesting discussion, valid points from each side, but why can't Peter have a family and also be the big boss at PI? .-.

And imo the best mix of it all would be Horizon Labs job and married Peter.

The job at horizon wouldn't take Peter too much time and effort as CEO, but it's still worthy of Peter's intellect and has a positive impact on the world. Gives him more than enough money and free time, etc. He would also be working with what he always loved. I think it's the perfect choice for our boy.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rius: sure he was rich in the sense that he had a good family, but you can't say that he was any richer. Considering 616 Peter isn't a shell, but actually has a life of his own, with no memory of his marriage, he is still living a great life with no sense of loss. If he does get married, this life will be infinitely better than the unrealistic futures portrayed in RYV or Spider-Girl continuities.

I am nervous, too. I am trying to go with it instead of waiting for the other shoe to drop and peter somehow becomes a loser again. it seems like marvel has big plans for him. it's just idiotic to me that everyone can progress except peter. I have said this a bunch of times...if he goes back to being some down on his luck lose, I will probably just stop reading spidey altogether.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedonus: I guess Peter pursuing a career worthy of his intelligence WOULD be caring about himself, but it would be even MORE about caring for others, so it still works. After all, both his family and the world would benefit much more from a billionaire Peter than a "barely scraping by" Peter.

I don't watch Criminal Minds so I can't weigh in on that reference, but I do think it is a problem when he pursues a job that is both not worthy of his intelligence as well as less helpful to the world at large. In that case, there is absolutely no logical reason to pursue that job. Maybe the Spencer dude chose to be an FBI Agent to help more people than what he could otherwise have done?

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By blackspidey2099

@amazingfantasy: That's what I have always advocated for - Peter being both married and fulfilling his intellectual potential.

While I would prefer Peter as a research scientist than a scientist CEO, I'd prefer him to NOT work for anyone. That's why CEO is cool too. I wouldn't mind if he was an independent research scientist, as well as chairman of Parker Industries, who didn't do any real business work, but worked for himself and had effectively unlimited funding.

@christianrapper I wouldn't quit reading if he became a loser again (hey - I survived Peter making a deal with the devil, so I doubt I will quit till the day I did) but I will be hella disappointed and will be ranting on every remotely related forum, as well as sending multiple emails and letters complaining directly to the editorial. I definitely agree that it's completely stupid that Peter is the only character who can never progress, but with Miles coming to 616, it at least looks like that may be changing...

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

I'm happy my blog became a serious Spider-Man discussion spot! :)

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By kiba

I don't get why people say Peter was a "loser" before he was a CEO or scientist. He may not have had money but it's not about him NOT living up to his potential, it's about him living up to his responsibility as Spiderman. I think Rami got it right in the second movie. Peter can do anything, his potential is unlimited but there are simply not enough hours in the day to be Spiderman and go to school and hold down a good job. It's all a matter of how he focuses his energy and I want Peter in the webs saving people not sitting in a board room talking stocks or in a lab coat looking at a microscope. Imo him joining the avengers and working for Stark was the high point, well middle ground, for those of us who want a more "successful" spidy and the one I want, that's a successful hero that's finally getting the recognition he deserves. To bad Tony turned into a @ss.

also I don't think him being a police forensic scientist was unrealistic at all. Peter was a guy who saves lives and catches bad guys who had to stop due to an injury in that reality. It's makes sense that he'd find a career that allowed him to keep doing that however he could.

I think him letting Miguel run the company would have been the best move, like Bruce Wayne has lucius fox to run WE while he's running around as batman.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Nice job. You're the top poster after all. o/

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I'm happy my blog became a serious Spider-Man discussion spot! :)

It was a thoughtful and worthwhile discussion of what Renew Your Vows actually entailed for fans of the marriage and what Marvel are trying to do with Spider-Man currently. Plus you are the top Spider-Man board poster so your stuff does tend to receive more traffic :P

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba: He did handle things poorly with his friendships and family some issues. How he handles his aunt may moments is cringe worthy at times.

One of the highest points in his life was when aunt may knew his secret. He made things easier when he missed her birthday or was running late, she would cover for him. His reasoning of I can't tell her will put her in danger is flawed. What put her in danger was him taking off his mask for the world to see. HE put her in danger.

I am not saying he should go tell her, and I don't think he needs to be a big shot or some rich ceo or anything. I do like the underdog aspect....I just think there needs to be a balance.

he comes off as being irresponsible by being too responsible.

As much as people hate spock, he did let the cops and firefighters do their jobs when the time calls for it.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rajabuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By Zarius

@rajabuta said:
    @thecheesestabber said:

@punyparker: ....I hope Stark an MJ fall in love

NAH. Friends with benefits at most.

Because that was SUCH a mature storyline when they did it with Peter and Felicia...

Bendis is known for being a massive Peter/MJ 'shipper, he's not going to make it that easy.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajabuta said:
    @thecheesestabber said:

@punyparker: ....I hope Stark an MJ fall in love

NAH. Friends with benefits at most.

If you're joking, then good, if you're not, the wolrd has gone to hell....

rajabuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: remember who we're talkng about here.

MJ has had a lot of boyfriends, and stark is well...... Stark......

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajabuta said:

@punyparker: remember who we're talkng about here.

MJ has had a lot of boyfriends, and stark is well...... Stark......

I do remember, that's why i'm saying what i'm saying.......Stark is Stark, but this is MJ.....it's a whole different story.

rajabuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: MJ is a very single woman and Stark is Stark xD

Oh well xD

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajabuta: You don't get what i'm saying, right?

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajabuta: Knowning both Stark and MJ personalities well, there's no way MJ would go to bed with him LOL. She knows wazzup with that handsome playboy.
    She would likely give him the Wolverine treatment.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By PunyParker

@rajabuta: Knowning both Stark and MJ personalities well, there's no way MJ would go to bed with him

And he wouldn't hit on Peter's ex wife......it IS Stark, but Spider-Man is a fellow Avenger.

rajabuta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By rajabuta

@punyparker: probably not. I'm sleepy and need to rest xD

Waiiiiiiiiiit. BND happened. They never got married. And wolverine got the wolverine treatment because she's married.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Weeeelll... If this was old continuity I would agree, but currently Stark doesn't even know Peter is Spider-Man. He also doesn't seem very close with Peter post OMD.
    It would still be a little asshole move but I wouldn't say it's out of character for him.

He also got involved with Janet/Wasp after she divorced Hank Pym.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajabuta: Peter's friends don't hit on MJ.....how much more clear can this be?

@punyparker: Weeeelll... If this was old continuity I would agree, but currently Stark doesn't even know Peter is Spider-Man. He also doesn't seem very close with Peter post OMD.

It would still be a little asshole move but I wouldn't say it's out of character for him.

He doesn't know Pete is Spider-Man??........i missed an episode, what happened?
    Also, Bendis said that they (Peter and MJ) lived in Avengers Tower, so......they have valuable history.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajabuta: Peter's friends don't hit on MJ.....how much more clear can this be?

@amazingfantasy said:

He doesn't know Pete is Spider-Man??........i missed an episode, what happened?

Tony is still affected by the blindspot from OMIT. Peter never revealed his identity to him after Civil War concluded. As far as he's concerned, Peter worked with Spider-Man and that's why he and MJ lived in the tower.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.