Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Is Spider-man Still Marvel's Flagship Character?

• 81 results
    kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By kcomicfan

There is nothing wrong with accepting something as is because it is fun, some people want something to be fun and nothing more. Or if that someone is like me, they would think that the current run of Amazing Spider-Man is fantastic, with a great plot and great characterization and they don't want more or to be challenged because it is not necessary

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Spider-Man is still the Flagship character. Marvel wanted to promote MCU in their comics thus they hid him away from all that since his rights belonged to SONY. Now that he is within the MCU, expect to see him in these sorts of things more often.

Spidey is one of the most well recognized and popular heroes of all time and his presence and comics were historical changing points within the comic industry. He is one of the biggest icons in Marvel and they wouldn't just shove him away.

Marvel just really has been wanting to market the MCU alot and even alter their comics to fit more within the MCU. MCU's Spiderman will be 15 years old, and unless they want to de-age Peter back to highschool Marvel will probably not be changing too much of comic Spidey.

@kcomicfan: I don't like it but I can see why you and others like it, and that's great. I'd just prefer Spider-Man to be written and shown differently but as time changes, so do the writers and perhaps I'll like future stories.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ZariusII

@itsaworld said:

@kcomicfan: I don't like it but I can see why you and others like it, and that's great. I'd just prefer Spider-Man to be written and shown differently but as time changes, so do the writers and perhaps I'll like future stories.

I just don't see what they do, it's like they're burying their heads in the sand rather than actually think too hard about it. Just like Slott, they can preach all they want how they have the knowledge of the previous years, but, also like Slott, it's like they don't "get" the character or what makes him tick, and just accept any old nonsense so long as it artificially "grows him". I get why it's possible to enjoy it, but I just think those fans have sold out.

You can do decent things with the PI premise, I think Peter David's managed it pretty well in 2099, but that's usually from the perspective of a much better character he's developing.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By magnetic_eye

@zariusii said:
    @magnetic_eye said:
    @jimishim12 said:
    @magnetic_eye said:

Spidey is now a composite of Tony Stark / Bruce Wayne and James Bond. Wooo Hooo!!! That's bound to put some integrity and individualism back into the title.......NOT.

Scuse me? How is that not giving him integrity and individualism, he's finally.....................cool. And he doesn't have to be 007 or Bats explicitly.

You're excused. That's great that Peter is finally cool. He's been cool lots of times before. But IMO, I don't trust the Slott Machine to write a mature, debonair Peter Parker. If his previous writings are anything to go by, get set once again for simplistic cartoon dialogue and an uncharacteristic Spider-Man; this time emulating Tony Stark with gadgets and gimmickry.

If it was any other writer, then maybe......just maybe, but otherwise this looks like another cringe worthy moment in the annals of post OMD Spidey.

Nine months since this was posted and I feel your points have been pretty much validated. Slott's James Bond Parker Poser has been nothing but an outlandish, animated weaksauce 80s Saturday morning tool, with no a trace of real nuance or substance to show for it. I was reading the Crawlspace comments section on one review and one idiot had the gall to say "if it's fun, it's fine"...and that was really all he had to say in defense of it. It felt more like he was just throwing his hands in the air, aware of how dumb it's gotten, and was just accepting the book "as is".

I mean, don't get me wrong, I do very much the same thing with the newspaper strip (chiefly because it has a great handle on the marriage and Peter still acts like Peter), but that doesn't mean I don't want it to be better than it is, especially after reading how good the strip was in the 70s.

These days, Marvel's audiences don't want to be challenged or be permitted to think. It's the same with their movies, it's the same with their cartoons. This is why, in spite of their flaws with the New 52 and their cinematic universe, I'd pick DC and their "interesting failures" than Marvel and their "amber vision" any day of the week.

It's interesting that most newbies who like the current ASM bordello probably haven't read a lot of different Spider-Man titles pre OMD, when most Marvel writers respected all of Peter Parker's original character traits.

This current generic, watered down Parker has character traits that are composites gathered from some of his non comic book alter egos, hence the confusion amongst newbies who think this is how he should be. I couldn't care less about other media interpretations of the character, because they usually fall short of the mark. I am however looking forward to Tom Holland's take in MCU.

The very reason I began reading comics from the age of ten, was that it did challenge my thinking as well as entertain. Good writing should exercise the mind, it is vitally important and of a necessity, making the whole experience a valuable and memorable one. As I got older I appreciated the writers and artists who skillfully put the effort into the books they worked on. I just feel dumber and the experience cheapened when I read Slott's Spider-Man.

The notion that ASM should just be a lighthearted fun romp and nothing more is a fallacy. ASM was never just about fun and nothing else. The book has a respectable ground breaking history, the stories a fine balance of drama, action, humor and slice of life realism.

Good writing has personality. Slott’s writing is extremely inconsistent and infantile with no mastery of writing techniques. It lacks substance and is void of any skillful prose. His personality and so called writing strikes me as that of a ten year old bully trying to act the class clown.

Avatar image for deactivated-59847e5816856
    deactivated-59847e5816856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Said it before and I'm going to say it again. Spider-Man will always be Marvel's flagship character, and nothing's going to change that.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:
    @itsaworld said:

I just don't see what they do, it's like they're burying their heads in the sand rather than actually think too hard about it. Just like Slott, they can preach all they want how they have the knowledge of the previous years, but, also like Slott, it's like they don't "get" the character or what makes him tick, and just accept any old nonsense so long as it artificially "grows him". I get why it's possible to enjoy it, but I just think those fans have sold out.

You can do decent things with the PI premise, I think Peter David's managed it pretty well in 2099, but that's usually from the perspective of a much better character he's developing.

Yep, it's like chalk and cheese. The name Peter David says it all, he's a different breed of writer altogether.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By kcomicfan

@zariusii said:
    @itsaworld said:

I'm sorry, but none of this is true.

As I said above, we are not selling out or burying our heads in the sand because we like Slott's run, we like Slott's run because we think it is good and we like the direction the book is going in and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, You think Slott's run lacks substance and I completely disagree with you, I can find plenty of story, substance and quality in Slott's Amazing Spider-Man run.

People who like Slott's run do get the character and we do understand how the character ticks, Slott also gets the character and understands how the character ticks, I have seen Slott praised from multiple sources for how he understands the character. I just think you don't understand the subjectivity of this subject.

There is nothing artificial about how the character has progressed in the last few years. I honestly don't think you understand the point you are arguing against, nobody is accepting the changes to the status quo just because it changes the status quo, there are many different reasons for why we currently like the Amazing Spider-Man.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, lets not fight about this. People are going to like Slott's work while other's wont. They are reasons some enjoy it while others dislike it.

They are many reason's I don't like Slott's run, BUT they are reasons people enjoy it. We shouldn't be bad mouthing one another about this because it causes chaos and derailing topics. If needed, why not make a thread discussing Slott's run but we try and NOT insult one another while discussing the pros and cons and see if we meet eye to eye in some points.

BACK TO THE MAIN TOPIC: Now that Spider-Man is in the MCU, we can all prepare for the huuuuuge amount of things they will have to show him off. He's already confirmed to be in the Dr Strange movie, whether it be a small cameo or an actual character that will assist, MCU will probably be throwing him around till his film starts up next year.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Reviews are raving about Spider-mans appearance in Civil War and how he's the best character in Caps own movie. You can try an deny but you'll always be wrong. Spider-man is and always has been Marvels most popular character. Now that Marvel has a hand in making his films you'll really get to see how popular he really is.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#61 dernman  Online

@magnetic_eye said:

His personality and so called writing strikes me as that of a ten year old bully trying to act the class clown.

Honestly he seems like someone who got picked on alot as a kid who when grown up had a taste power after he grew up and using it to thumb it in peoples face. In this case being the one who shapes Spider-Man.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ZariusII

I can relate. When I took over a few episode guides on the former TVTOME website, I was an absolute and immature monster, and remained that way until I got fired in 2005 when it became TV.Com and they had a low tolerance for behaviour like that no matter how good of a job I was doing on the guides. Marvel have a high tolerance for contemptible behaviour, as CM Punk says, "they'll let anybody write a book" if it means dollar signs. Slott has bankable ideas, regardless of how well he executes them, and those ideas sell

@lone_wolf_and_cub said:

@ready_4_madness: Reviews are raving about Spider-mans appearance in Civil War and how he's the best character in Caps own movie. You can try an deny but you'll always be wrong. Spider-man is and always has been Marvels most popular character. Now that Marvel has a hand in making his films you'll really get to see how popular he really is.

Yes, but to be frank, Marvel movies get high praise all the time even when, IMO, it isn't really deserved.

Avatar image for deactivated-59847e5816856
    deactivated-59847e5816856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course he's popular, all of his movie are bad but people still go to watch them. I just said from what I'm seeing Marvel recently have given Iron Man & Captain a large push to the point where I feel like they have 3 flagship characters overall.

From a comics (and toys) stand point of view, it seems like that push for both Cap and Shellhead isn't working, Spidey's still pretty much on top. That aside, I'm a huge Cap fan. Hopefully the upcoming series will do better. Can't say the same for Shellhead.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey no longer has the most merchandise selling revenue between the comicbook franchises.

LordAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem is that movie productions and comics writers had trouble treating Spidey decently , so it seemed like he was slowly slipping into the lowcard / jobber spot but he is going to get much much much more popularity thanks to his MCU introduction , they are definitely going to make him the golden boy again.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like out of all superheroes iconic wise. Spider-Man is the less respected as a idea and character, u have all these witers saying they grew up with him and being able to relate to him and then they themselves write Peter as hes always been writen a lukewarm bittersweet loser with varying levels of success but ends up scewed over in the end and more broken than originally.

I feel just because people(writers) respect his concept and philosophies doesn't mean they really like him, because Peter is cyclical in his mistakes, failures, and tragedies it makes him a terrible superhero to get behind from a extensive peroid of time. Writers literally have to spell out how Peter Parker sucks by other characters in other stories like deadpool, howard the fuck, and avenger books just to vent all of peters idiocy, angsy and the way he lives as a joke and mocking subject.

Yeah i feel after superman, peter is the most deliberately mistreated and least liked as a written character in the comic industry, henceforth all the lack luster media and comic content he has been getting, maybe becausr writers are bored to tears on how he usually is written in the on term with a idea hes to miserable to put effort in as a main character who is supposed to inspire or excite people.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@itsaworld: yup. They've already confirmed an assload of Spidey merchandise including a new spider man dlc pack for Lego Avengers.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12:Yep. Years ago he used to be very well loved by other characters within DC and with fellow writers. Now other series tend to try to upstage him and mock him every chance they get. Literally can't read Howard the Duck cause of how many times they are constantly spitting on Peter. I think people are doing it because of all these drastic 'changes' they have tried to do to him through the years. Though when it doesn't work, they try another redo to his character and lo and behold we still don't like it.

Heck, apparently the editorial department of Spider-Man gets the say if he gets his marriage back, Slott seems to be going off the rocker, Peter's whole character has gone through a complete makeover making him not the same character, and everyone else in the Marvel company thinks Spider-Man is a huge joke now and to make fun of him whenever.

As for SuperMan, I don't think I've read a DC comic where they bash on SuperMan that anyone has taken seriously. Yes he is mocked constantly but I think its more from readers than the DC company itself. Great writers for superman comics try to look into his powers and how he struggles how to properly use them. The best comics of the SuperMan stories tend to focus on that aspect, helping as many people as he can without overstepping his bounds. They tried this 'redo everything' gimmick with him (different look, everyone knew he was superman, his outfit was a pair of jeans, ECT) and we all hated it. But DC decided they would bring back the original SuperMan to the fold because of fan outcry and the tidbits I've seen are amazing. I already ordered the Rebirth comics for Superman. It looks phenomenal.

@avenging_x_bolt: DLC Pack?! I hope it's a free DLC pack because when I play a Lego Marvel game, I expect to see Spider-Man. SONY still has merhcandising rights to the SpiderMan films right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Iron Man and Cap now

BatDad87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he is he just is kinda getting overshadowed by other characters for the moment.

TrustNoOne22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, it's always been cap, Spider-Man is just marvel's gateway mascot. Captain America is the Damn Flagship Figure and Lead Hero of Marvel Comics and the Avengers. You can say Spdey's more famous than him, but you have no right to say he's presented as a main aspect of Marvel heroes, he's just a small part of a bigger stage and his appearances with other heroes shaft him aside the avengers or wolverine because Peter sadly doesn't have the character to be a powerful lead hero and star. Batman, Superman, Cap, and Ironman are both of the companies biggest symbols of hero communities in the fiction and outside of fiction, Spidey is just a famous kid appeal protagonist that people can easily get into which is kinda his point, he's introduces you into the bigger scope of Marvel through his adventures and lets the big boys play while he stays out of the spotlight.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By amazingfantasy

Dan Slott recently confirmed on twitter that Spider-Man is Marvel's flagship character, so yeah.

Thesenate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will always be Spider-Man. Even after the MCU ends (whenever that is) they'll still be making Spider-Man movies regardless if they're good or bad.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#76  Edited By g2_

It will always be Spidey.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

When All New All Different Marvel began, Marvel wanted to make Iron Man the face of Marvel and placed him center stage. But alas, no Spider Man is mascot.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It ought to be Spider-Man, but it isn't. Too bad.

TrustNoOne22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By TrustNoOne22

Let me put it like this, Captain America is Marvel's Flagship Icon Protagonist and Spider-Man is Marvel's Mascot Face.

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Combo-Man

Spider-man has been more like a shipwreck! for the last 18 years.

BatmanandRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump, I honestly don't know because I see more avengers hype than spidey hype nowadays.

KingLouie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.