Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Is Miles Morales a pointless character?

• 153 results
    Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Sumiladon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@friv: Do not be dismissive because you have no actual retort. Facts are facts.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Friv

@sumiladon: Facts? What facts? You've simply stated that you think Miles is the better character, how is that in any way a fact?

That's an opinion, pal. And the great thing about opinions is that they're entirely subjective, you read me?

You like Miles, I don't. You called me blind because I don't instead of actually letting me not like a character, as if you have any bearing on my personal taste.

I've followed Peter for fifteen years, ever since I was five. A vastly inferior and pathetically redundant pallet swap isn't going to change that, if that's your thing, more power to you. But don't try and take the high ground by accusing me of being dismissive when you started this entire exchange by being unable to process the fact that someone prefers the original Spider-Man (the actual Spider-Man) to the new gimmick on the block and resorted to calling them blind.

He doesn't like a character? Oh, well he must be wrong. Either that or he's straight up disabled!

Yeah, you're a real class act, man.

Sumiladon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Facts are how popular Miles is, and how better received his comics have been compared to Peter's. Which again, have been received and reviewed better than Peter's in decades. You and I both know, that 98% of Peter's stories are just wash, rinse and repeat basic villain stories, with no actual staple growth or consequences to the arc, and then on to the next one. Mile's comics are alot darker, he takes things more seriously, and are ALWAYS character based on an emotional level. Peter's are just....stop the bad guy.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Friv

@Sumiladon: Look, you're new here, so I'm going to cut you some slack.

If you've read a single issue staring Peter Parker as Spider-Man, you would know that none of what you've just said is even remotely true. Since you're such a fan of Miles, you must be at least familiar with the original Ultimate Spider-Man run with Peter, one of the most celebrated and critically acclaimed runs in the history of the comic book medium.

For you to claim that Peter's stories have no emotional weight, no emotional impact or gravitas, no lasting effects, is atrociously ignorant. You sound like a child trying to tell the old guy why he's not cool any more, which is why I just cannot and will not take you seriously.

Get back to me in a good fifty years, if Miles is still around and hasn't been forgotten like the PC garbage he is, then we'll talk. But until then, I have nothing more to say, kiddo.

Have a nice day.

Sumiladon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Sumiladon

@friv: You have not retorted anything. Tell me, what actual lasting emotional arc has happened to Peter since Gwens death in the 80s? Name me ONE memorable story arc, that isn't a big event comic. You and I both know, Miles is going no where. Peter on the other hand, will only last as long as whenever Mile's gets his own tv series, and his superior stories reach mainstream and not just those who read comics. And then Peter Parker will go the way of Hal Jordan. I.e, people will accept him, because he's the original, but, at the same time, given how generic he is, the majority of the world will prefer and want to see John Stewart instead.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Friv

@Sumiladon: First of all, Gwen died in the seventies. So, good job showing your intimate knowledge of the subject we're discussing.

Second of all, did you really just compare Hal Jordan to one of comic's big three? Look, we can do this all day, just go back and forth and explain why each other is wrong. That's the beauty of opinions, no one's right or wrong.

I will say this though, there are constants in the world that no matter how much time passes, they always stay the same. Ask anyone who Batman is and they'll say Bruce Wayne, ask anyone who Superman is and they'll say Clark Kent.

Same can be said for Spider-Man, a character that's been relevant since his inception in the sixties, ask anyone who Spider-Man is and the answer will always be the same. To the world at large, Peter Parker is Spider-Man. You can't change fifty years of people's perception of a character, it's simply too ingrained in our culture.

You're fighting a losing battle, Bendis' laughable pet project will never be a suitable replacement for the genuine article.

Nobody wants to see a Spider-Man that isn't Peter Parker, I don't know where you're getting these so called facts but why do you think Peter's getting his own series of movies in the MCU after a movie stealing appearance in Cap: Civil War? Why do you think Peter's getting his own AAA PS4 video game? Why do you think Peter has several on-going comic books to himself and with Renew Your Vows around the corner, that number's just going to grow.

Peter's arguably having a resurgence in popularity right now, a far cry from being threatened by an overpowered Gary-Stu from another universe.

Point is, you're simply trying to force your own opinions onto others and in doing so, are coming off as ignorant, insecure and just plain idiotic.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@friv: Don't waste you're energy or time my friend, this @Sumiladon fellow is just wants attention.

Sumiladon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Sumiladon

@friv: Gwen died in the seventies? You just made it even more apparent how bland Peter's arcs have been, just for an even longer amount of time than initially thought.

The constants stay the same, not do to unbracing loyalty to the characters, but do to over saturation of only those characters. If every single animated DC movie is going to be Bruce Wayne Batman focused, and near half of DC comics are of Batman or the Batfam, and most DC video games showcases Bruce Wayne as the OG, of course he will remain a constant. Same with Peter Parker, who is oversaturated everywhere, from tv shows, to comics, to video games, and to movies. That is the only reason why. Because Marvel, nor DC really wants to showcase any other characters as much of them, because its easier. If there was a tv series staring Miles Morales, (that was incredibly well made) and made Miles mainstream, that led to a video game focusing on him, a second Miles comic, and even him as the next Spider-man in the movies, the general population and new generation, would be ingrained as seeing him as the current symbol for Spider-man, (assuming all of these projects were good). Despite Peter being Spider-man for 50 years, he will be seen as just the first Spider-man, while Miles is THE spider-man now.

At the same time, nobody really cares about Peter Parker as a character. They only like him as Spider-man, and not as a character. Peter has his own movie, because Peter came before Miles. A great aspect of Miles's character is him accepting Peter's legacy, and accepting the responsibility that Peter would want him to accept even though he isn't there, and to live up to his name, like his loved ones state, but that he doesnt want to accept. It is integral to his story, that Peter comes first.

Not to mention, the only reason people are excited to see Spider-man in the movies again, is because he is with the Avengers(other heroes) now. That is something new and refreshing brought to the same generic Peter Parker movies we have seen. Iron Man will be in the new Spider-man movie because they new A SEVENTH stand alone Peter Parker Spider-man film wouldn't do that well on its own anymore. The last two amazing spider-man movies have dwindled in sales compared to the original trilogy, because Peter Parker Spider-man is not really that interesting and was losing people's interest movie after movie. After the hype of him being with the Avengers numbs to peoples mind, they will lose interest again and will see his solo movies as "Just ANOTHER generic Spider-man movie balancing a generic villain, his job at the daily planet, and love life with Mary Jane/Gwen Stacy, movie #7". I can promise you, after Spider-man Homecoming, his solo movies will begin to drop in viewership again.

Peter isn't getting his own AAA video game. Spider-man is. Don't get it twisted. Nobody is going to buy the new PS4 Spider-man game because they are excited to follow "Peter Parker's personal story" and you know it. They just want to kick ass as Spider-man in modern, high quality open world gameplay, with Spider-man saying funny quips in the background. They have near ZERO interest in Peter Parkers personal story. We both know this to be true.

Comic fans are a different breed entirely. And his numbers don't grow. They stay consistent. Comic fans are loyal. Amazing Spider-man will continue to sell. But Miles Morales sales definitely grows more and more. He isn't dwindling in the slightest.

Comicbookroundup.com calculates an amalgam of reviews for each issue of every comic to a general score for each issue of each comic for every story. Miles, reviews/scores near always outshines any of Peter's for decades. His character is more in depth, darker, and has more interesting personal stories than Peter. This may be an opinion. But it is an opinion shared by most.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either you have not read Mile's comics, or you are completely blind

Do not be dismissive because you have no actual retort. Facts are facts.

You seem particularly intelligent.

And what I mean by intelligent, is not at all (because I doubt you'll understand).

Sumiladon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izamanaick: You people's ability to showcase entirely, intelligent, logical arguments are outmatched by anyone in the known world, I must say.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By izamanaick

@sumiladon: Because I called you out on your hypocrisy?

Because I found you to be incredibly ironic?

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Friv

@sumiladon: Are you still on this? Jeez, you're persistent, I'll give you that.

Look, you literally just proved my point. You just said that Peter is so iconic that Marvel would never drop him, that would lead to disaster and backlash amongst fans. So Peter is in no danger, ergo Miles will always be the 'black Spider-Man' until he's kicked to the curb and finally killed off like the trash he is.

As much as people like you and hack!Bendis want it, Miles will never be THE Spider-Man. He's A Spdier-Man and a lousy one at that.

As for why Miles' issues review so well despite being so bland, boring and repetitive, it's because the character has an in-built defense against criticism. People are afraid of being branded racist if they admit that the character is nothing special, just a poor man's imitation of an already established and well-loved global icon.

It's because of people like you that I despise Miles, you're why I will never embrace him as a character. Instead of enjoying your character and letting people enjoy their own, you feel the need to prove your way is the best way by tearing down the original character. You do this because you know you're in the minority, you know that your precious five year old character will never stack up to a staple of comic book history.

You're angry, bitter and insecure and to remedy this, you try and force you're overwhelmingly off-base and ridiculous opinions onto others, just to feel a little bit of self-worth and satisfaction.

You must lead a pretty sad life if this is the norm for you, if you were perfectly content with your choice in character, you wouldn't feel the need to do any of this.

So, I and many others will be over here, eagerly anticipating what Marvel has in store for Peter while you wallow in denial.

Because deep down, you know you're wrong. You just don't have the stones to admit it and for that, I cannot bring myself to take you seriously.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tyrannosaurus rekt

Sumiladon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Sumiladon

@friv: If you put one character, above all others, that you know is easy money, you will of course milk that cow dry. Transformers movies make billions in the box office, while it took fan prodding and a cheap budget for Fox to even give in and make a Deadpool movie. That is the world we live in. Marvel doesnt stick with Peter because he's a good character. They stick with him, because they believe he already is popular and the safe bet. That isn't something to admire or defend. And because of that, they continue oversaturate Spider-man, and the mainstream will continue to focus on him specifically over others, not because he is a better hero, but because that's all they are given. Its a self-fulfilling prophecy going in a cycle.

Well Miles's is thankfully not the "Black" Spider-man anymore. And definitely not a lousy one. Comic fans love him. His sales are great. His personality, is more grounded and not one dimensional. He is infinitely more interesting as a character.

I will give you Peter's colorful rogue gallery. And the one thing I will admit about Bendis, is that he doesnt introduce many original villains for Miles, like his Uncle Aaron(The Prowler) and Kate Bishop(his Hydra girlfriend) who are amazing, because they influence his story on a much more personal level, and I wish he would introduce more original villains, alongside his great personal stories. That being said. I would rather take an emotional personal story of a hero, however, than a hero with vibrant villains but a generic, basic non-existing character arc who's only appeal is him fighting these colorful threats. And that is the biggest problem with Peter. He markets to the shallowest pool of comics. His fancy swinging, and colorful rogue gallery of exaggerated villains lead to appealing visual comic panels and that is what draw people to him. While Miles's deep character and personal stories are what draw people to him.

Claiming that Miles's only get superior reviews is because he's black is the most pathetic excuse to cover Peter's sheer mediocrity. Especially now, years later, where his existence is just as normal as any other hero. There have been many new heroes that have not been reviewed that well through their run. Sam Wilson, Captain America, is one I can think of at the top of my head who's comics are pretty bland and uninteresting. The new Hulk, who's Asian, also mediocre reviews. Fantastic Four, despite the critics hating the racists complaining about Johnny Storm's race, the movie still got horrid reviews. It has nothing to do with race. That is a sucker's argument. Its quality. Do not insult critics integrity, to force your political agenda.

I can give two craps whether or not you enjoy Peter Parker or dislike Miles. All that matters to me, is that Miles is getting bigger. It was YOU who was tearing down and insulting Miles's character, that people are embracing to prove your point against him to compensate YOUR insecurity. I meerly retorted your comments. Do not reverse this. I merely brought up facts about his character's story, and the positive reception that follows.

Good for you eagerly awaiting what Marvel has in store for Peter. Hopefully its something that actually allows him to grow and evolve as a character as opposed to keeping him stagnant and just fighting villains with quips...again and again and again. Evolve.....Peter? Ehh, who am I kidding. Peter will be exactly the same, until the end of time.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sumiladon: Not even gonna read that. You got slapped, boy. Man up, move on and deal with it.

Sumiladon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friv: Wow. "You got slapped, boy" I have never witnessed more intellectual, logical retorts greater than this right here. The epitome of rationale and logic.

Ice-Breaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love miles as a character, unlike a ton of marvel's current legacy characters he wasn't just shoved into the role.
    he got his powers and decided not to use them. He wanted to let peter be spider-man and avoid the responsibility. then peter dies and he's forced into the role in an ironic twist.

waaay better than say riri williams, amedeus cho or x-23 who just woke up one day and said "today ,I want to be the new "X""

- Miles has his own powers , costume and supporting cast and he was left with all the baggage of pete's former enemies. He's the spider-man for a new generation and he fills the role well.
    there's interesting story tension with his dad being a cop and his uncle being a super villain.

-While I still love and enjoy Peter Parker I have to agree that I don't like the direction of his story's so far. All the elements of his core character have been tossed out in favor of a billionare arch-type and while slott tries to keep the "kid from queens" elements it just clashes in all the wrong ways when 1 second he's visiting his aunt or on the street eating lunch and the next he's using the spider-rocket to de-bug the spider-satellite so he can fix his spider-base's security grid.

-Miles on the other hand has pretty much separated himself from peter he's just a kid trying to go to school and live his life, he's got his own world, his own team with his own friends and supporting cast and his own stories. He just needs some more original villains.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Friv

@sumiladon: 'Logic'. You keep throwing that word around as though you understand it, I don't think that's the case.

Your character sucks, man. Sucks hard.

Sumiladon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Sumiladon

@friv: "Your character sucks." This level of logical counter argument, is severely unmatched by anyone in the world.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sumiladon: It's cute how you keep saying the exact same thing, logic, reasoning, known world etc.

Look, at the end of the day, you're not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that, there's no argument to be had. Let's just take a step back and see how things play out, I can't see into the future, can you?

Anyway, welcome to the site, enjoy your time here.

DanMarshall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By DanMarshall

I don't know much about Miles to really say if hes pointless or not but being something Bendis created he already has a strike against him for me. To be fair though I think Peter right now is just an Iron Man/Batman ripoff and I hate the book so much. Im hoping the Renew your Vows series thats coming ends up taking the current Peter Parkers place and we get the real Amazing Spider-Man back where he's not a rich asshole anymore and married like he was meant to be to MJ. Id finally buy one of these stupid big event books if that was one of the after effects of the story.

Anyway back on topic I'm willing to say Peter Parker right now is a pointless character in my opinion and can only wait until he changes for the better but until then Marvel will not get any money from me on that book until a satisfying change is made.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@danmarshall: Incorrect. Peter is not an Iron Man/Batman ripoff, as you'd know if you actually read the comic, or even comic synopses, rather than just following the bullshit disgruntled fans spout. Also, if you don't like Peter being responsible, then why don't you hate Peter being Spider-Man at all as much?

Also, Miles is 100% pointless, and 200% stupid.

DanMarshall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By DanMarshall

@blackspidey2099: this is for Amazing Peter Parker, not Renew your Vows Peter who I do like

Millionaire/Billionaire

Owns a tech company that shares his last name

a New updated Spider Mobile

new spider armorish suit with glowing eyes and spider emblem

He's now a a single globetrotting hero.

His company makes his new gadgets

His increased holier than thou attitude.

Tell me how he's not a ripoff now compared to before Parker Industries was even a thing.

I never said Miles wasn't pointless I just don't know much about him to make any real decision on it.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@danmarshall: How is Amazing Peter a rip off? If anything, the Peter you should dislike is RYV Peter for being irresponsible enough to let his daughter fight crime without a spider-armor to protect her from bullets and the super villains he faces. Actually, not building a Spider-Armor for everyone in his family who is fighting crime with him is 100% irresponsible - aka, the anti-thesis of Peter Parker in the comics. On the other hand, 616 Peter is responsible enough to use all his powers (including his intelligence) to help people all around the world, both through donating large amounts to those who need it, and by upgrading Spider-Man with armor and gadgets to be able to stop and fight larger threats than he ever could before. As for his increased "holier than thou" attitude, that comment just screams of the ignorance of one who has never read the actual comics and has instead been reading the complaints of other butthurt fanboys. In conclusion, 616 Peter is being truer to himself (and his motto, that with great power comes great responsibility) than he ever has been before, while RYV Peter is as far from that motto as possible.

DanMarshall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By DanMarshall

You're not going to change my mind no matter how much you try to troll, we all have opinions just like a-holes they all stink too.

As for RYV Spider-Man he didn't really have much of a choice on whether he let MJ or Annie help him out he was weakened from that forgettable villain draining his powers and in that situtation MJ's decision to fight together was law otherwise Peter would've done it himself. Drawing attention to himself by building power suits for his family would've been borderline retarded on his part. Up until Annie's bracelet burnt out Peter had no intention of doing something to stick out like a sore thumb in a world where super heroes were being harvested for their powers. When he went to the Tinkerer for that chip there was no turning back the badguys would've kept searching for him anyway even if they didn't catch him at the school. At some point they would've found out where he was anyway since Spider-Man was one of whats his faces main priorities upon learning he was still alive. Did Peter make a brash decision to go fight off the the Beetle, Rhino, & Boomerang when he heard the report that they were after someone at his daughters school, absolutely but in that situation emotion takes over. Pete didn't know there were other kids with powers at the school besides his daughter so for all he knew they could have had his daughter found out she had powers and ended up killing her like they almost did to him later.

KingTheron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, He serves his purpose so no not really.

Mundus_Magicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say that he is. He's an outlet for fans who yearn for the days of Peter Parker's more traditional roots instead of the way that Slott's writing for him now.

GreatSpiderBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#130  Edited By GreatSpiderBat

I wouldn't say that he is. He's an outlet for fans who yearn for the days of Peter Parker's more traditional roots instead of the way that Slott's writing for him now.

Avatar image for drake_pendragon
    Drake_pendragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean said:

@staticdwanyemcduffie: Tbh Wally is more my generation. I knew him overall because most of my DC reading came after the Crisis. With that said, had I been a bit older and a big Barry fan, yeah, I'd be pissed that my favorite was killed off.

Even when the name/powers/etc are shared, I'm not a fan of the Superboys, Wonder Girls, multiple Flashes, etc.

Wally is my generation but whenever look at the history seems like never really had a personality or was never really that important, Wally West owned the role of The Flash. I think some people even say that Barry Allen's personality is from Wally West's personality

Actually Wally's personality is a more extreme version of Barry's because Jay was the original but within more modern Barry was the original with Jay coming from another dimension and Wall was a fan of the Flash and became his sidekick and later a founding member of Teen Titans with Robin and Aqualad.

BlackSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resurrecting the topic, there is this text on Tumblr discussing about Miles characterization, comparing with Mayday and why a movie with him (using his own stuff) would not work so well.

http://hellzyeahthewebwieldingavenger.tumblr.com/post/124199923552/gregxb-may-mayday-parker-miles-morales-tom?is_related_post=1

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because this topic needed a resurrection? Nope!

Avatar image for kingofthejungle
    KingOfTheJungle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much, yeah. I don't see any point to him as a character, I'm sure he's not badly written, but with so man spiders running around the title of Spider-man is special anymore.

Is any title special at Marvel when they're all being given to minority characters to push an agenda? To be fair taking a characters mantle has been a common trope for a long time. Still it's been a bit much in recent memory.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miles is great, and marvel needs new and young characters. 'nuff said.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Miles Morales is so great and popular a character, he should be able stand on his own two feet with his own codename without having to plagiarise Peter Parker's super hero name.

Everybody knows he is Bendis' favorite pet and a Marty Stu character.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I refer to him, not in any cruel way, as being Spider-Boy, because he's pretty much a younger version of Spider-Man. He almost feels like Kid Flash or Kon-El, or some other younger version of an older character.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is just dumb. there are a zillion flash's, there were 50 billion hulks, and how many other characters with the same name? however, the black spiderman gets grief. racism really still exixts. now it's hidden with code words like 'pushing agendas'.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By magnetic_eye

@christianrapper:

Using the racist card is just a throwaway statement, and using examples of it being done with other characters doesn't mean it should continue either. It's just overkill to have so many characters in similar costumes with the same name. To me it's laziness, it doesn't really allow your character to stand as an individual without riding on the coat tails of already popular established flagship heroes.

Marketing departments get paid big bucks to promote these characters. Why isn't Marvel putting in the extra effort? Why aren't so called writers (creators) creating fresh new interesting characters that don't look like any other super hero? Is it really that hard?

I don't mind Miles Morales as a character, but let the guy have his own identity. Isn't the person behind the mask more important? Besides I have never been an advocate for franchised lookalikes. I prefer the genuine individualistic characters to stand out with their own identity and Peter Parker shouldn't have his name and costume plagiarised because a certain writer can't come up with a different name for his young super hero.

Sure there are plenty of Green Lanterns and several versions of Flash and what have you, but IMO there are already too many Spider people running around. Even with Batman, the core character is Bruce Wayne as Batman, same with Clark Kent as Superman

What's really dumb is you practically implying that I and others on this thread are racist. I work with approximately 75 black indigenous Australian high school kids, mainly in Media Production studies.

When I ask them to tell me who Spider-Man is, the answer is always Peter Parker. Now that's very telling and they know who Miles Morales is, but they are more familiar with, identify with and prefer the original Spider-Man. Why is that? I can assure you I do not influence these students as they are all very savvy with technology surfing the Internet, finding and researching what they want to read and accessing the comic book library at school.

Why is that? I think it's because they see right through the forced diversity agenda and in their pride and integrity will not be patronized. It's laughable enough that every Australian Aboriginal represented in comics is always some kind of outback mystic medicine man. Now that's truly an insult and racist! ?

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By christianrapper

@magnetic_eye said:

@christianrapper:

Using the racist card is just a throwaway statement, and using examples of it being done with other characters doesn't mean it should continue either. It's just overkill to have so many characters in similar costumes with the same name. To me it's laziness, it doesn't really allow your character to stand as an individual without riding on the coat tails of already popular established flagship heroes.

Marketing departments get paid big bucks to promote these characters. Why isn't Marvel putting in the extra effort? Why aren't so called writers (creators) creating fresh new interesting characters that don't look like any other super hero? Is it really that hard?

I don't mind Miles Morales as a character, but let the guy have his own identity. Isn't the person behind the mask more important? Besides I have never been an advocate for franchised lookalikes. I prefer the genuine individualistic characters to stand out with their own identity and Peter Parker shouldn't have his name and costume plagiarised because a certain writer can't come up with a different name for his young super hero.

Sure there are plenty of Green Lanterns and several versions of Flash and what have you, but IMO there are already too many Spider people running around. Even with Batman, the core character is Bruce Wayne as Batman, same with Clark Kent as Superman

What's really dumb is you practically implying that I and others on this thread are racist. I work with approximately 75 black indigenous Australian high school kids, mainly in Media Production studies.

When I ask them to tell me who Spider-Man is, the answer is always Peter Parker. Now that's very telling and they know who Miles Morales is, but they are more familiar with, identify with and prefer the original Spider-Man. Why is that? I can assure you I do not influence these students as they are all very savvy with technology surfing the Internet, finding and researching what they want to read and accessing the comic book library at school.

Why is that? I think it's because they see right through the forced diversity agenda and in their pride and integrity will not be patronized. It's laughable enough that every Australian Aboriginal represented in comics is always some kind of outback mystic medicine man. Now that's truly an insult and racist! ?

the truth hurts doesn't it? there is always some excuse when change comes. you sound just like the peopke in those videos from the 1960's. i am sick of bull crap. it's o.k. when we basically every super hero was freaking white. when they start making black ones people stop complaining and whining about agendas. please, that is just nonsense. heck, most of the comic book heroes are still white.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper:

What truth??? the one where you're implying people on this thread are dumb and racist, because they prefer the original Spider-Man?

I'm not hurting, just laughing at your silly comment. What are you on about - videos from the 1960's???

It sounds like you're the one full of excuses when you can't reply and discuss things in a civil manner.

C'mon give me another silly comment.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By magnetic_eye

@christianrapper: said

the truth hurts doesn't it? there is always some excuse when change comes. you sound just like the peopke in those videos from the 1960's. i am sick of bull crap. it's o.k. when we basically every super hero was freaking white. when they start making black ones people stop complaining and whining about agendas. please, that is just nonsense. heck, most of the comic book heroes are still white.

You still haven't explained yourself properly. You haven't addressed much of anything from my previous post other than launch into an angry tirade.

Read up on comics history not just super heroes. There were black super heroes in the 60's, although nowhere near as many as today. Maybe the comics industry need to hire more African Americans to create more black super heroes. Ummmm....... Riri Williams? but that's just Bendis again

Also where are the Latino, Asian, Native American Indian, Italian, or any other ethnic group of super heroes? America is a very diverse place, not just black and white.

By all means there should be characters of all colours. Giant-Size X-Men #1 from 1975 featured an international group of mutants which to this day is still very diverse.

I would prefer to continue a civil conversation but please don't accuse me of being racist just because I prefer a black Hispanic kid to have his own identity.

Hunterzero64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Hunterzero64

@christianrapper no he's not a great character he's an awful character the problem isn't that he's another character who has the persona of spider-man, the problem is that he's literally another spider-man. He's a diet Peter Parker, he's peter with all the fun interesting qualities removed from him. You bring up characters like Wally West but Wally was an entirely distinct character from Barry or Jay. The only thing the same as them was his hero name and power-set whereas Miles is not distinct he's just Peter except he sucks

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
    asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hell no. Morales fits on many of the themes of Spider-man-marvel and super hero comics in general: everyone can be a hero, with great power comes great responsability, being relatable etc

Loading Video...

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

I think i made the point clear

in fact it´s pointed quite some times that in theory every kid could see himself as spider man, be him black, white asian or whatever any kid could be spiderman

Loading Video...

And the story in fact works because of that tbh. The great power comes great... is a leasson for anybody. That is why in fact spider man could be a mantle more than most others heroes.

If Miles did not hit a cord with you maybe is because he wasn´t well writen were you saw/read him but maybe it is because you weren´t the "target". The last film and Black Panther one received MASSIVE reactions of people all over the world because for the first time many of this people felt that they could relate with this characters

I mean look at this

Please don´t dismiss this only because of
    Please don´t dismiss this only because of "they are putting characters like that all the time" look at the hard data and tell me what you see

That is why it is not the same to "change the race of black panther" and introduce of a black/whatever character. It is like if i had 100 dollars and you had 2 and i lost one and i say you should give me your one dollar because of that, it is not comparable.

Now Bendis might be part of the problem as he has the tendency of writing the characters talk the same over and over again. But i believe most of the problem is because most of this characters don´t know what is relatable to this target audience and as such writes stories that feel hollow

now you might say "well this means the character only suport himself in this diversity shit dude"

And while to me this is reason enough i say no, there is more to this than only diversity. When well written Miles can not only fit the theme of comics and specially spider man that everyone can be a hero but Myles can add a lot to the comics of spider man as the film proved to plenty of people.

Let Pete grow my dudes, he can grow to be an interesting character even as a married man with children and still have great stories. He would have new problems, new stuff to do and would complement himself with Miles pretty well i say, better than most spider people

Miles isn´t pointless specially nowadays.

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
    asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper: said

You still haven't explained yourself properly. You haven't addressed much of anything from my previous post other than launch into an angry tirade.

Read up on comics history not just super heroes. There were black super heroes in the 60's, although nowhere near as many as today. Maybe the comics industry need to hire more African Americans to create more black super heroes. Ummmm....... Riri Williams? but that's just Bendis again

Also where are the Latino, Asian, Native American Indian, Italian, or any other ethnic group of super heroes? America is a very diverse place, not just black and white.

By all means there should be characters of all colours. Giant-Size X-Men #1 from 1975 featured an international group of mutants which to this day is still very diverse.

I would prefer to continue a civil conversation but please don't accuse me of being racist just because I prefer a black Hispanic kid to have his own identity.

exactly!

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah Miles is fine

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notjeffrey: said

"He was pointless in the Ultimate Universe because he was just basically rehash of Ultimate Peter Parker, but in the 616 universe he's there so there's a kid Spider-Man around because for some reason the only part people remember about Spider-Man's carrier was when he was a kid in high school."

_________________________________________________________________________________

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

It's really weird how some people willingly ignore the fact that Spider-Man has been an adult super hero for most of his crime fighting career. The high school years only lasted for approx 3 years.

That's because there is not notable stories when he's an adult. Off course you could name stories, but they didn't have an impact as hight school year ones. Or his early college/photograher years.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By ZariusII

@jb681131 said:
    @magnetic_eye said:

"He was pointless in the Ultimate Universe because he was just basically rehash of Ultimate Peter Parker, but in the 616 universe he's there so there's a kid Spider-Man around because for some reason the only part people remember about Spider-Man's carrier was when he was a kid in high school."

_________________________________________________________________________________

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

It's really weird how some people willingly ignore the fact that Spider-Man has been an adult super hero for most of his crime fighting career. The high school years only lasted for approx 3 years.

That's because there is not notable stories when he's an adult.

Liar.

-His whole partnership with Felicia.

-Kraven's Last Hunt (deals with the themes of near-death experience fresh off of marrying MJ), KLH is arguably considered one of the all-time top 10 Spider-Man stories.

-Harry Osborn saga of the 90s (loses his close friend to the madness of the Goblin, he and MJ kicked out of apartment)

-Clone Saga, love it or hate it (Deals with impending fatherhood and eventual loss of a brother and a child)

-Most of JMS's run (deals with a separation, wins back MJ in another top ten Spider-Man story)

PLENTY of notable adult Spider-Man stories

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii said:
    @jb681131 said:
    @magnetic_eye said:

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

That's because there is not notable stories when he's an adult.

Liar.

-His whole partnership with Felicia.

-Kraven's Last Hunt (deals with the themes of near-death experience fresh off of marrying MJ), KLH is arguably considered one of the all-time top 10 Spider-Man stories.

-Harry Osborn saga of the 90s (loses his close friend to the madness of the Goblin, he and MJ kicked out of apartment)

-Clone Saga, love it or hate it (Deals with impending fatherhood and eventual loss of a brother and a child)

-Most of JMS's run (deals with a separation, wins back MJ in another top ten Spider-Man story)

PLENTY of notable adult Spider-Man stories

Hmm, is he really adult in these stories ? Somewhat. But those are 30+ years old for the most part. I will agree on JMS's run.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.