Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Is Miles Morales a pointless character?

• 153 results
    RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@staticdwanyemcduffie: I'm not the most familiar with Barry save for some of his Post Flashpoint run. If Wally truly owned up, then so be it. However as a guy who read Ultimate Spider-Man during the entire Parker run, it seemed pretty similar once Morales came into play. He was the dumb rookie kid who got by on luck and instinct and pure good heartedness. Hell, Pete died just after Captain America started training him. Next thing I know I'm reading "Divided we fall" and here Miles is, basically an Ultimate but with the rookie status. It's where Pete would have been (albeit with a bit more experience) had he not gotten shafted by Bendis.

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
    StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@staticdwanyemcduffie: I'm not the most familiar with Barry save for some of his Post Flashpoint run. If Wally truly owned up, then so be it. However as a guy who read Ultimate Spider-Man during the entire Parker run, it seemed pretty similar once Morales came into play. He was the dumb rookie kid who got by on luck and instinct and pure good heartedness. Hell, Pete died just after Captain America started training him. Next thing I know I'm reading "Divided we fall" and here Miles is, basically an Ultimate but with the rookie status. It's where Pete would have been (albeit with a bit more experience) had he not gotten shafted by Bendis.

I can agree with most of that

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friv: said

@jimishim12: "Listen, you can explain it whatever way you want, nothing will ever make me embrace Miles Morales. Character sucks, he sucks so badly I roll my eyes every time he's brought up anywhere.

If Peter's so obsolete, then why's he getting a brand new AAA PS4 exclusive video game? The kick starter to what Marvel want to be a Marvel Video Game Universe? Why he's getting a brand new series of films set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe if Miles is so much better than him? Why does he have like three ongoing comics to himself (admittedly sharing one with Deadpool) if Miles is so much better?

You're an idiot if you think Miles is a better Spider-Man than Peter ever was, an idiot who can't see the truth of the character. That Miles is nothing more than a blatant attempt to ride the coattails of Peter, using his name whilst claiming that he wants to stand on his own two feet and not stay in the original Spider-Man's shadow for the rest of his life. Here's an idea then, change your moniker and change your costume. Oh, you won't do that? Why? Oh, silly me. Bendis would never change Miles' superhero persona to something other than the name 'Spider-Man', because then people wouldn't give a crap about the character.

Bendis managed to stuff a fan fiction worthy OC into the main Marvel Universe by slapping a Spider-Man suit on the kid, fooling everyone into thinking 'oh, Miles is totally unique and a way better Spider-Man than Peter'. Really? He has absolutely no personality. 'That's how I'd react if I were Spider-Man'. Most people have a sense of humor, not Peter-level funny but he could still at least try. 'Miles is just more silent and badass'. No, we already have an aggressive and non-talkative Spider-Man, his name is Miguel O'Hara. 'Yeah, and I bet he's another white guy, that's probably why you're okay with him but not Miles'. Oh wow, the race card, wasn't expecting that. Miguel's actually of mixed decent, both Hispanic and Irish. And for the record, a character's lineage or the color of the their skin means nothing to me. I love Black Panther, I would never want some white redheaded dude rocking up and slapping T'Challa's birthright out of his hands.

The point is, it's people like you who've let Bendis do this. You've let Bendis capitalize on the popularity of fiction's greatest superhero, like he's doing something new when he's not. He's literally not. He's writing a replacement Spider-Man, that's what he's doing. He tried to push for Peter to be killed off in Civil War II, how can anybody not see what's he trying to do? It wasn't enough that he killed Peter in the Ultimate Universe and that Peter died a couple years back in 616,. Bendis wants to kill Peter off yet again so Miles can be the only Spider-Man.

Congratulations, you're defending one of the worst characters ever created. Miles is right up there with Spider-Gwen, Silk and Lady Thor. That's interesting, how most of those characters are literally stealing certain aspects of Spider-Man in order to catapult them into popularity. Why? Because Bendis proved that it could be done, and as long as you make the character black, gay, female, or transgendered or whatever the fuck else, no-one will criticize you because you've got an in-built defense. And then there's also the hordes of mind-numbingly dumb fanboys and fangirls that will pounce down anyone's throat if they say one negative thing about the character.

Yeah, that's how I like my comic book medium. Where everyone has to keep their mouth shut and not call a bad character, just plain bad."

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Very well said!

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By magnetic_eye

"@amazingfantasy: My bad, I'll keep myself in check from now on.

@rubear: I don't think this is what Stan Lee had in mind for the character when he created him, a bunch of wannabe non-characters running around wearing the webs. And sorry, but Spider-Man was not created to be an inspiration, Spider-Man was created to break the archetypes of superheroes and fundamentally reinvent what we think of them as. Up until that point, superheroes had to be clean cut grown men who never lost, had absolutely no personal issues and no conflict in their mundane day to day lives. Teenagers were not allowed to be superheroes, they were only allowed to be sidekicks. Dick Grayson, Bucky Barnes etc.

Then Stan Lee came along and proved that a teenager didn't have to be a sidekick, he created Peter Parker and blew everyone away with how relatable and personal a hero could be. At no point did Stan likely think 'oh, you know what would be awesome? If a good half century from now, a bunch of talent-less hack writers take my character, rip him apart and copy and paste those pieces of Peter onto other characters that people wouldn't care less about, but will now that they're attached to Spider-Man in some way'.

Yeah, there's no doubt in my mind that that thought didn't run through his head.

And for the record, dude, One More Day is cancer. The fact that you've accused me of condoning such a terribly atrocious excuse for storytelling is nothing short of insulting, I want a Peter Parker that continues to grow again, I want a Peter Parker that is mature enough to start a family with Mary-Jane, bringing a whole host of other responsibilities into his life aside from the mask. Don't try to judge me over the internet when you clearly know nothing about me, I've been told to watch my language on this site at the risk of being banned but man, that boiled my blood."

_________________________________________________________________________________

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Man you're on fire! ? What a great post and straight to the point.

Stan Lee & Steve Ditko created Spider-Man / Peter Parker to be a progressive character, one who grew and learnt that "with great power there must also come great responsibility." That's a fact. This notion that there is nothing unique about Peter Parker and that he's just an inspiration for counterfeit plagiarists to take over is a complete and utter fallacy.

A stagnant teen Spidey can't grow with responsibility and furthermore the super hero name Spider-Man is synonymous with the man Peter Parker, he owns it, none else does.

Just because there are some legacy mantle characters running around does not mean Spider-Man has to become one. What a silly excuse by newbies who don't know Spider-Man's whole history and characterization.

Spider-Man has been for over four decades an adult super hero and yet some people are still willingly ignorant to that fact.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By Friv

@magnetic_eye: Thanks, man! Glad to see there are still some people out there who know the score when it comes to Spidey, Peter was Marvel's Dick Grayson at one point. He got older, graduated from high school, went to college, met a lot of his iconic friends and just grew up. If things had been going the way they were meant to be, Peter would still be married and would be the example of how a superhero with a family can work.

Everybody knows what happened, and it freaking sucks that Peter was reset like ten years because of some dude who doesn't like MJ and wants him to be a down on his luck loser for the rest of his life. Quesada, man.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Jimishim12

@friv:

Other responsibilities than the mask? That is not who Peter Parker truly represents. Being married and starting a life away from being a superhero is a pipedream that really kills the point of Peter not having it boths ways in happiness and in health, that in the end of the day Spide-Man is his only fate forever.

Peter is cursed to be in duty for others sacrificing his own personal wants and needs, RYV is proof that that Peter is not the true Peter so much that its a interpretation of a run of the mill family guy who takes the easy way out and loses all the ideals and moral imperatives that make beloved by everyone second to cap.

To end this. Peter would have never gotten as far as marrying someone like mj, be as good as he is as a person, and even got laid to begin with if he wasn't spidey. Peter dare i say it is nothing without Spider-Man, it started with an accident then he started to blossom into who he is now.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Friv

@jimishim12: I think it's very clear that you have no idea what you're talking about, Peter is nothing without the mask? Absolutely ridiculous. Re-read Amazing Fantasy issue 15, dude. We were introduced to Peter Parker before Spider-Man, and we got to care about Peter Parker before Spider-Man too.

Peter Parker defines Spider-Man, not the other way around. Do not get it twisted.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jimishim12

@friv said:

@jimishim12: I think it's very clear that you have no idea what you're talking about, Peter is nothing without the mask? Absolutely ridiculous. Re-read Amazing Fantasy issue 15, dude. We were introduced to Peter Parker before Spider-Man, and we got to care about Peter Parker before Spider-Man too.

Peter Parker defines Spider-Man, not the other way around. Do not get it twisted.

Without the powers, Peter never gained confidence in himself and never became a ideal human being despite his flaws. Spider-Man is everything to Peter Benjamin Parker, some stories have him never been bit by a spider and become a scientist but completely lonely and miserable despite that. He would have never became more reclusive without having learned what the price was for being selfish was all about.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Friv
    NotJeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: if we're talking about "What If?" stories, then I'd like to bring up "What If Peter Parker had to destroy Spider-Man?" Basically in the story Flash gains Spider powers instead of Peter. Peter designs him Web shooters and a costume thinking Flash could do good, but instead he becomes a criminal. Feeling guilty that he gave Flash the means to do crime, he invents a suit to combat Flash and saves the day showing that he didn't need to be "Spider-Man" in order to be a hero. So long as Peter learns that with great, there must also come a great responsibility he can still become a hero

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By w0nd

@notjeffrey said:

He was pointless in the Ultimate Universe because he was just basically rehash of Ultimate Peter Parker, but in the 616 universe he's there so there's a kid Spider-Man around because for some reason the only part people remember about Spider-Man's career was when he was a kid in high school

this is how i feel.

that and his powers were stacked. If all else fails, venom sting him.

he has all of spider-mans powers and then some, at least Kaine lost "some" speed for strength, and had his spider sense removed, and 2099 has no spider sense either, not sure how strong he is.

I don't hate him though , I like seeing rookie super heroes sometimes. How did "616" miles get his powers since the universe reset, or do they not mention it

NotJeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: I hate him. Not just him, but the fans that think he is a completely new concept we haven't seen before and Bendis for trying to push him as the main Spider-Man. As for what happened to 616 Miles, I believe it's implied he died because if you look at Peter's expression in the last panel in the last issue he looks kind of sad

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notjeffrey: oh im sorry, I forgot there was an actual 616 miles too.
    I meant after secret wars molecule man brought ultimate over to 616 So as far as miles knows and peter knows and everyone else knows, ultimate miles has been in 616 the whole time....so do they explain how ultimate miles got his powers in this new "rewritten" history, or does he just say "i was bit by a spider too" and they leave it at that.

NotJeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Honestly I don't know if they have explained it properly. Pretty sure nothing has been "rewritten" he still got his powers in the Ultimate Universe and was just plopped into the 616 universe with no one questioning it, but then again I don't read his comics, I just look at overviews of them

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#65 SC  Moderator

@friv: @jimishim12:

Hello. Both of you broke some site rules, the language one, please review CV's language rules if you are unsure about what is allowed or not. Also Friv, please avoid personal insults, I noted another user already gave you a heads up, and you were very gracious, which is great, thank you.

If either of you have questions or concerns, feel free to PM myself. Otherwise, hope you both have a great week.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: My bad, won't happen again.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ZariusII

@w0nd said:

@notjeffrey: oh im sorry, I forgot there was an actual 616 miles too.

I meant after secret wars molecule man brought ultimate over to 616 So as far as miles knows and peter knows and everyone else knows, ultimate miles has been in 616 the whole time....so do they explain how ultimate miles got his powers in this new "rewritten" history, or does he just say "i was bit by a spider too" and they leave it at that.

Actually, they follow up a bit on this in this week's Ultimate Spider-Man. Felicia and Hammerhead do a background check on Miles and find he has no public record on 616/Prime Earth

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: So they can't find out his identity? How convenient.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friv: @zariusii: It's really weird considering Miles goes to school... How is he in a school without the necessary documents? lol

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friv: That is a reasonable explanation.

Avatar image for theblackpeterparker
    TheBlackPeterParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friv said:

@amazingfantasy: Because Bendis, that's why.

I'll give you that Bendis hasn't done too good of a job handling Miles' character, but I don't think he's necessarily pointless.

Personally, I think it was cool how Bendis was inspired by Donald Glover(Childish Gambino) wanting to audition to play Peter Parker, and created a character based off him, since he did want to kill off Peter Parker in Ultimatum, but couldn't find a way to replace him. Miles Morales drew me back into comics because it was something new and it was cool that one of my favorite superheroes was Black/Puerto Rican (like my little brother and I). It may seem a little bit superficial, but I can appreciate it because my little brother is around the same age I got into superheroes (like 4ish) and can see similar stories that I did of Peter Parker when I was growing up with someone he can relate to a little bit more, since Peter is dealing with Parker Industries and such. Plus, I'm pretty sure he's being considered for the animated Spider-Man film, so that will be interesting to see.

That being said though, I think they should replace Bendis with somebody else to write Miles. I think there's some themes that he could deal with in his personal life (such as racism, the effects of gentrification, gang violence affecting his community, etc) aren't being explored, and is really holding back on his character.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblackpeterparker: I wholeheartedly agree that a hell of a lot could be done with the concept of Miles, I really do. And I agree that Bendis is not the person to really explore the character, despite creating him. At this point in his career, Bendis has absolutely no creativity left and is just rehashing the same stories over and over again with slightly different alterations made each time.

The rate at which he is pushing Miles over every other character is obnoxiously blatant, so blatant that I'm genuinely surprised I'm one of the few people who actually recognize what he's trying to do. But I disagree that he's not pointless, he is. Nobody needs a young Spider-Man, it's not a roll that needs to be filled in order for the universe to right itself or whatever BS. If people want to read about a young Spider-Man, there's like sixty different separate series in which Peter Parker is young and still in high school. Mainstream Peter hasn't been in high school since the sixties, but people always forget that due to recent interpretations making him much younger.

Everything that is being done with Miles right now, has been done with Peter Parker when he was younger. And in my opinion, done a hell of a lot better. Race or gender should not be the deciding factor in whether you read a book or not, that's shallow as hell and technically racist in itself. If a character catches your interest, read about them. If not, give them a pass, regardless of what race they are. I heavily disagree with the fact that in order for a person of color (like yourself) to find a character relatable, the character must also be of color. I've met countless comic book fans who've related to a certain character and haven't shared their racial identity, be it black, Asian, Hispanic etc.

If you relate to a character just because they share your skin color, more power to you. It's your thing, whatever. But a character's race should not be their most important defining characteristic and so far, the only thing that Miles has going for him is that he's a character of color. And I have to ask myself, how is that a positive? How is that a good thing? That the most noteworthy aspect of Miles is that he's black/Puerto Rican, how is that a good thing?

Answer: it's not. When asked why do I specifically like a certain character, let's use Peter Parker in this situation, at no point in my life have I listed the things I like as follows.

He's a genius, he's a tragic character, he's just trying to do what's right, he's a nerd, he's white, he has really unique super powers (which isn't true any more because they've been handed out more times than Oprah liked to hand out free cars).

Did you spot what was wrong with that sentence? He's white. That's the odd one out, at no point have I ever thought that the fact that Peter's white is one of his best characteristics. It's completely irrelevant. So the same should not be said of a person of color, it's all about equality, right? Everyone's the same? Should be held to the same standard and rules? The point is, until someone other than Bendis comes along and changes Miles' racial heritage and background from a cheap gimmick to sell comics into something meaningful and much more worthwhile, nothing is noteworthy about the character.

I mean, did you read the latest issue? With Miles' grandma screaming and shouting at him? That was clearly a Hispanic stereotype, where they wear fake acrylic nails, don't know the meaning of the term 'inside voice' and are severely overweight but still think the entire world revolves around them. I actually winced whilst reading, because of how blatantly racist it was, in a book written by an writer who responds 'racist' every time someone tries to criticize him and his pet project.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"@theblackpeterparker: I wholeheartedly agree that a hell of a lot could be done with the concept of Miles, I really do. And I agree that Bendis is not the person to really explore the character, despite creating him. At this point in his career, Bendis has absolutely no creativity left and is just rehashing the same stories over and over again with slightly different alterations made each time.

The rate at which he is pushing Miles over every other character is obnoxiously blatant, so blatant that I'm genuinely surprised I'm one of the few people who actually recognize what he's trying to do. But I disagree that he's not pointless, he is. Nobody needs a young Spider-Man, it's not a roll that needs to be filled in order for the universe to right itself or whatever BS. If people want to read about a young Spider-Man, there's like sixty different separate series in which Peter Parker is young and still in high school. Mainstream Peter hasn't been in high school since the sixties, but people always forget that due to recent interpretations making him much younger.

Everything that is being done with Miles right now, has been done with Peter Parker when he was younger. And in my opinion, done a hell of a lot better. Race or gender should not be the deciding factor in whether you read a book or not, that's shallow as hell and technically racist in itself. If a character catches your interest, read about them. If not, give them a pass, regardless of what race they are. I heavily disagree with the fact that in order for a person of color (like yourself) to find a character relatable, the character must also be of color. I've met countless comic book fans who've related to a certain character and haven't shared their racial identity, be it black, Asian, Hispanic etc.

If you relate to a character just because they share your skin color, more power to you. It's your thing, whatever. But a character's race should not be their most important defining characteristic and so far, the only thing that Miles has going for him is that he's a character of color. And I have to ask myself, how is that a positive? How is that a good thing? That the most noteworthy aspect of Miles is that he's black/Puerto Rican, how is that a good thing?

Answer: it's not. When asked why do I specifically like a certain character, let's use Peter Parker in this situation, at no point in my life have I listed the things I like as follows.

He's a genius, he's a tragic character, he's just trying to do what's right, he's a nerd, he's white, he has really unique super powers (which isn't true any more because they've been handed out more times than Oprah liked to hand out free cars).

Did you spot what was wrong with that sentence? He's white. That's the odd one out, at no point have I ever thought that the fact that Peter's white is one of his best characteristics. It's completely irrelevant. So the same should not be said of a person of color, it's all about equality, right? Everyone's the same? Should be held to the same standard and rules? The point is, until someone other than Bendis comes along and changes Miles' racial heritage and background from a cheap gimmick to sell comics into something meaningful and much more worthwhile, nothing is noteworthy about the character.

I mean, did you read the latest issue? With Miles' grandma screaming and shouting at him? That was clearly a Hispanic stereotype, where they wear fake acrylic nails, don't know the meaning of the term 'inside voice' and are severely overweight but still think the entire world revolves around them. I actually winced whilst reading, because of how blatantly racist it was, in a book written by an writer who responds 'racist' every time someone tries to criticize him and his pet project."

_________________________________________________________________________________

^^^^^ ALL OF THE ABOVE ^^^^^

Beautifully said. I find it really interesting at the moment working as a Youth Worker with dozens of Australian Aboriginal students in Media Production that none of them have shown any interest in Miles Morales as Spider-Man, but do acknowledge and are interested in Peter Parker as Spider-Man. ?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

Random hug to everyone on this thread. I send you all good wishes and vibes no matter what your opinion may be.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By izamanaick

@theblackpeterparker said:

@friv said:

@amazingfantasy: Because Bendis, that's why.

I'll give you that Bendis hasn't done too good of a job handling Miles' character, but I don't think he's necessarily pointless.

Personally, I think it was cool how Bendis was inspired by Donald Glover(Childish Gambino) wanting to audition to play Peter Parker, and created a character based off him, since he did want to kill off Peter Parker in Ultimatum, but couldn't find a way to replace him. Miles Morales drew me back into comics because it was something new and it was cool that one of my favorite superheroes was Black/Puerto Rican (like my little brother and I). It may seem a little bit superficial, but I can appreciate it because my little brother is around the same age I got into superheroes (like 4ish) and can see similar stories that I did of Peter Parker when I was growing up with someone he can relate to a little bit more, since Peter is dealing with Parker Industries and such. Plus, I'm pretty sure he's being considered for the animated Spider-Man film, so that will be interesting to see.

That being said though, I think they should replace Bendis with somebody else to write Miles. I think there's some themes that he could deal with in his personal life (such as racism, the effects of gentrification, gang violence affecting his community, etc) aren't being explored, and is really holding back on his character.

No, he isnt. There is less than zero proof for that besides some idiot on the internet's opinion.

Only "evidence" he had was that it the film won't be tied to the MCU, literally.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friv said:

@theblackpeterparker:

Could you clarify this, examples perhaps? Ive not read much Ultimate Peter. Mostly 616.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By christianrapper

it's obvious that a lot of you haven't read the recent books. they are pretty good. the last one even took a dig at d.c.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izamanaick: Off the top of my head?

Miles being blackmailed into taking care of the new (absolutely terrible) Ultimate Scorpion by his Uncle Aaron, the Prowler. Peter was blackmailed and manipulated by Jean DeWolff into taking care of certain targets because the Kingpin wanted them out of the way, she was secretly working for him.

Miles being painted as a murderer in the media and acting like it was the worst thing ever, Peter had been framed for murder dozens of times and never once complained about it.

Miles' initial relationship with Captain America, who was adamant that a kid could not be a hero. The only difference being that Steve only realized how good Peter was after the kid took a bullet for him and died, all it took was teaming up against the Rhino and you guessed it, taking him down with his venom blast for Cap to do a complete one eighty and start worshiping the ground the kid walked on.

In fact, that's pretty much how everything went with Miles. People that hated Peter loved Miles, because of the example he set. 'Oh, Peter was Spider-Man, so because Miles is Spider-Man now he must be just as good if not better than Peter ever was!' Yeah, that's not how that works. Miles does not get a free pass because of Peter's reputation, except he totally does and everyone is fine with it.

The entire business with Venom, just altered slightly.

Miles giving up being Spider-Man, literally yelling out 'no more!' Not Ultimate Peter, but it's a direct copy of the 616 Spider-Man story 'Spider-Man, No More!'

Miles being kidnapped by an unexpected enemy, first Doctor Doom and then Hammerhead and the Black Cat. Peter was kidnapped by the Shocker and then the Chameleon, the only difference was Peter had to be rescued because he's not infallible. Miles used his bullshit new super-power which is a direct rip-off of Superman's solar flare.

These are some of the ones that stood out the most to me.

But you know what was refreshing about Ultimate Peter? He didn't always win, in fact he lost his first fight, crashed and burned spectacularly. He lost so badly, that Electro almost electrocuted him to death before throwing him off of the highest floor of Fisk Tower. Oh, and that was after Wilson Fisk unmasked him.

Miles' first encounter with Electro? Doesn't get tagged, takes him down with one hit, the venom blast. And then Nick Fury's all like 'oh man! You totally get to be Spider-Man now! No worries, man! Peter Parker, who?'

Oh, wow! Super interesting! That's not totally OP at all!

Sucks. Sucks bad, dude.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friv: Ahh, cool thanks. I knew he was a Marty Stu but I thought that was Slott's area of expertise, y'know Silk.

@christianrapper: Spidey-Pool 6? Yeah, I read it. Bloody good stuff. Wasn't looking forward to it because it had a new writer and artist but I was pleasantly surprised.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Friv

@christianrapper: Which is ironic considering DC are absolutely killing it with Rebirth, Bendis must have a serious ego criticizing what they're doing while he continues to push fake!Spider-Man.

They're treating the old guard (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern etc.) with respect whilst also introducing brand new characters for new readers, they're handling things much better than what Marvel are doing. They think it's okay to crap all over the classic characters, shoving them aside and treating them like has been garbage in order to push the PC envelope with turd characters like Miles, Silk, Lady Thor and Spider-Gwen.

They're pandering to a very select group of people who will never ever pick up a comic book and in doing so, alienating faithful readers.

I'll take happily married family man Clark Kent over Tumblr-bait like Gwenpool any day of the week.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friv said:

@izamanaick: Off the top of my head?

Miles being blackmailed into taking care of the new (absolutely terrible) Ultimate Scorpion by his Uncle Aaron, the Prowler. Peter was blackmailed and manipulated by Jean DeWolff into taking care of certain targets because the Kingpin wanted them out of the way, she was secretly working for him.

Miles being painted as a murderer in the media and acting like it was the worst thing ever, Peter had been framed for murder dozens of times and never once complained about it.

Miles' initial relationship with Captain America, who was adamant that a kid could not be a hero. The only difference being that Steve only realized how good Peter was after the kid took a bullet for him and died, all it took was teaming up against the Rhino and you guessed it, taking him down with his venom blast for Cap to do a complete one eighty and start worshiping the ground the kid walked on.

In fact, that's pretty much how everything went with Miles. People that hated Peter loved Miles, because of the example he set. 'Oh, Peter was Spider-Man, so because Miles is Spider-Man now he must be just as good if not better than Peter ever was!' Yeah, that's not how that works. Miles does not get a free pass because of Peter's reputation, except he totally does and everyone is fine with it.

The entire business with Venom, just altered slightly.

Miles giving up being Spider-Man, literally yelling out 'no more!' Not Ultimate Peter, but it's a direct copy of the 616 Spider-Man story 'Spider-Man, No More!'

Miles being kidnapped by an unexpected enemy, first Doctor Doom and then Hammerhead and the Black Cat. Peter was kidnapped by the Shocker and then the Chameleon, the only difference was Peter had to be rescued because he's not infallible. Miles used his bullshit new super-power which is a direct rip-off of Superman's solar flare.

These are some of the ones that stood out the most to me.

But you know what was refreshing about Ultimate Peter? He didn't always win, in fact he lost his first fight, crashed and burned spectacularly. He lost so badly, that Electro almost electrocuted him to death before throwing him off of the highest floor of Fisk Tower. Oh, and that was after Wilson Fisk unmasked him.

Miles' first encounter with Electro? Doesn't get tagged, takes him down with one hit, the venom blast. And then Nick Fury's all like 'oh man! You totally get to be Spider-Man now! No worries, man! Peter Parker, who?'

Oh, wow! Super interesting! That's not totally OP at all!

Sucks. Sucks bad, dude.

you know every comic book here has done those things, right?

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper: Sure, but he was directly referring to Miles and why he pales in comparison to Peter.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper: Dude, we get it, you love Miles. Accept the fact that some people hate him and move on, it should not matter what I think about the character as long as you enjoy him.

NotJeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friv: You know what else seemed pretty dumb? The fact that during Secret Wars, Miles coincidentally had a burger in his pocket in a skin tight suit and had his mother revived and his friends and family moved to the 616

Rob Collier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yikes. This is a heated discussion with both valid points. Miles to me as of now seems like a redundant character, but with Peter being an international hero, fans are going to demand a Spidey based New York title. Then the book 'Spidey' was launched, a retelling of Peter's early years, so why have Miles running around as Spider-Man? I can agree that he is a creator's pet, but a character that gained a fan base, one of the last remnants of the Ultimate universe. He has a different cast of characters from Parker, though doesn't have his accomplishments. Miles lost little to no battles, while Peter had his ass kicked occasionally. But when Earth-1016 existed, he filled a hole where that Peter left. Now, the that world and 616 merged, creating Marvel-Prime, he feels redundant.

Now Bendis could've said 'wait, we're just getting started' or 'we just re-launched, give us a moment', he went down the route of insulting the audience and we all know how that went down with the Ghostbusters fiasco. I want to keep reading Marvel, but the decisions they're making, just shakes my head at them, both as a fan and a writer/artist as well. It's just sad. So, no Miles doesn't need to be killed off (we have enough of that already), but he needs his own code name and persona.

Now I'll end my thoughts with this question: Would rather read a story about a girl who can talk to squirrels fighting evil, or a black kid taking over the Spider-Man mantle?

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PrimeEarth2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By PrimeEarth2016

@jimishim12: Someone hasnt read enough Peter Parker stories, also Miles is literally just a palette swap.

Takeshi57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like how Miles' last name is Hispanic sounding and has the word "Moral" in it. At least Parker is a type of coat and Riley is a cool name.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@friv said:

@christianrapper: Which is ironic considering DC are absolutely killing it with Rebirth, Bendis must have a serious ego criticizing what they're doing while he continues to push fake!Spider-Man.

They're treating the old guard (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern etc.) with respect whilst also introducing brand new characters for new readers, they're handling things much better than what Marvel are doing. They think it's okay to crap all over the classic characters, shoving them aside and treating them like has been garbage in order to push the PC envelope with turd characters like Miles, Silk, Lady Thor and Spider-Gwen.

They're pandering to a very select group of people who will never ever pick up a comic book and in doing so, alienating faithful readers.

I'll take happily married family man Clark Kent over Tumblr-bait like Gwenpool any day of the week.

whats wrong with Spider-Gwen? shes in an alt universe?

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: The entire point of her character was to explore her weird, trippy alternate Earth and what it'd be like if someone instead of Peter was bitten by the spider first. How would they handle the responsibility? The power?

It's kind of diluted when Marvel are forcing her into the mainstream universe at every turn, and it doesn't look like that's going to be stopping anytime soon as apparently, she's going to be dating Miles Morales. Ugh.

The same thing is happening to 'Spider-Gwen' that happened to Wolverine and is currently happening to Deadpool, they're being milked dry and it's going to blow up in their faces when nobody will care about the character in a good couple of years. Gwen should've stayed dead, I don't care if it's an alternate. The character was neither interesting nor had potential to begin with, Spider-Gwen isn't even Gwen. Since when did Gwen make jokes? And not just regular jokes, but Peter Parker levels of quippage? Why is every single person able to put on a spider-themed costume and suddenly, they can quip just like Peter? It's asinine, that the only spider-powered people who aren't Peter Parker 2.0 are Jessica Drew, Miguel O'Hara and Kaine.

But even that's not true in Jess' case, she's recently been making funnies despite going on record as saying that she hates banter, it's part of the reason she never teams up with Spider-Man as often as other heroes.

Bottom line? Another gimmick character that's being run into the ground and flogged like a dead horse, it'll die out eventually.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By magnetic_eye

@friv:

It's really quite strange the way Marvels' comics division superimpose quirky cartoony comedic aspects to many of their characters' personalities now, and are too lazy to actually develop the dynamics of depth of character.

This current trend reminds me more of the sort of stuff you'll find in a children's' manga comic book, (not the adult ones) but cutesy funny cartoon characters pretending to be super heroes.

BlackSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By BlackSuit

I think Miles is kinda pointless right now. He is not the main Spider-Man in the Marvel Universe (and no, he is not THE Spider-Man, no matter how much Brian Michael Bendis want to), actually there is too many spiders in the 616.

Other problem is his set of powers don't fit the kind of superhero he is. He is a street level superhero, but is way too OP right now. Peter Parker is already in the limit of a street level superhero, Miles have all Peter's powers plus invisibility, venom blast and that energy burst Bendis introduced in the last issue. All villains (Peter's rogues) are outmatched. Things have to change: (1) Introduce new villains that can match Miles (they will probably too powerful for the criminal underworld), (2) Remove MM from New York and transform him in a Avenger level hero combating worldwide threats (Can a thirteen years old boy be it?) , or (3) Remove his extra powers.

izamanaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacksuit: That energy burst is his venom blast, just charged up at max power.

It's funny isn't it, that Peter can keep buildings from collapsing but Miles, an allegedly better character, needs a deus ex machina to break out of rope

BlackSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izamanaick: Yes, a powerful ex machina burst made of a combo of ex-machina win hexes.

He is not a better character than Peter, not even close. And if he keeps to pile new powers he may become very little relatable. All people can relate to a character that have face challenges and fight hard to go from the low point to the top (no matter the gender, race or nationality of said character), however if he is OP and can win so easily we have no sense of stakes, there is no tension.

The best thing that could happens to him is be separated of his creator and be assumed by a new writer that would develop him better.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Miles is kinda pointless right now. He is not the main Spider-Man in the Marvel Universe (and no, he is not THE Spider-Man, no matter how much Brian Michael Bendis want to), actually there is too many spiders in the 616.

Other problem is his set of powers don't fit the kind of superhero he is. He is a street level superhero, but is way too OP right now. Peter Parker is already in the limit of a street level superhero, Miles have all Peter's powers plus invisibility, venom blast and that energy burst Bendis introduced in the last issue. All villains (Peter's rogues) are outmatched. Things have to change: (1) Introduce new villains that can match Miles (they will probably too powerful for the criminal underworld), (2) Remove MM from New York and transform him in a Avenger level hero combating worldwide threats (Can a thirteen years old boy be it?) , or (3) Remove his extra powers.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

I honestly think that if Miles was written by someone other than (bend it like Bendis), and they gave him a new codename, a personality and perhaps a new costume, I might actually show some interest. At the moment all he really is, is a Marty Stu plagiarist.

Sumiladon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friv: Lol, you and I both know Miles is infinfitley more in depth than Peter is. His stories are conisistanyl personally character based and what are you talking about no original villains. His Uncle Aaron and Kate Bishop are the most in depth villains ever personally connected to the emotional growth of his character. Unlike Peter, he actually takes things seriously and doesnt WANT to be Spider-man, it actually is with great responsibility with him. He doesnt want this burden. But with the many people in Peter's if helping to inspire him and motivate him, especially with his Uncle who teaches him about responsibility in a reverse manner being an evil villain trying to make Miles into one as well, forcing Miles to realize its his responsibility to stop people like him is phenomenal. Either you have not read Mile's comics, or you are completely blind. What emotional character based plot line or growth has happened to Peter within the last 30 years. It is literally, generic villain arc, balancing his social life with his hero life, wash, rince, and repeat. Miles actually has personal growth each story, which is why people love Bendis's writing of him, and why he is the highest rated solo Spider-man comic in years.

Friv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sumiladon: Ha! That was great, man! Thanks for the laugh , I really needed that today.

Sumiladon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friv: Hey, there is a reason people love him and he is the highest reviewed solo Spider-man comic in decades. Mile's isn't going anywhere, and I would definitely prefer his, darker, character driven stories, than Peter's wash, rinse, repeat, arcs.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.