Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Introducing a child to the world of spider-man comics

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By knightwriteri

There is a family that is friends with mine the father's a marvel/star wars nerd his eldest son is five and starting to read the kids favorite superhero used to be Spider-Man but is now Iron Man due to the crappy disney cartoons. I first started reading comics at six so I was hoping to give him his first comic book a year from now. Any recommendations for a book to introduce the kid to the world of spidey.

It can't be something that parents would object to.

While age appropriate it can't be a Marvel Adventures or similar publication aimed specifically at children.

It can't be anything post Back in Black. (with the exception of Spiral and RYV)

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why can't it be Marvel Adventures? My 8 year old son loves them.

You could also try the educational Scholastic books featuring Marvel characters. They have books for age appropriate readers.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: I used to read most of the Marvel Age books (Sentinel was a personal favorite) the Spider-Man ones were modernized retellings of the ditko era I liked them but I dropped the titles when they were rebranded as adventures I dunno I just treat this matter like the same I would with cartoons in that I favor intelligent writing that's okay for kids but doesn't condescend/insult their intelligence.

Personally I started with the Ultimate books but if my parents thought those innapropriate seven years after I first got them and they actually bothered to pay attention to what I was reading then I'm not buying those for a child.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.